Rebif New Formulation (RNF) Quality of Life Study
Information source: EMD Serono
Information obtained from ClinicalTrials.gov on June 20, 2008
Link to the current ClinicalTrials.gov record.
Condition(s) targeted: Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis
Intervention: Rebif Human, Interferon beta 1-a (Drug); Rebif Human Interferon beta-1a (Drug)
Phase: Phase 3
Status: Active, not recruiting
Sponsored by: EMD Serono
Official(s) and/or principal investigator(s):
Ahmad AL-Sabbagh, Study Director, Affiliation: EMD Serono, Inc.
To evaluate the impact on Quality of Life, tolerability, treatment satisfaction, and
injection site redness Rebif treated subjects with relapsing forms of MS who transition to a
new formulation of Rebif.
Official title: A Randomized, Multicenter, Two-Arm, 12 Week Phase IIIb Study to Evaluate Quality of Life (QoL) Measures in Subjects With Relapsing Forms of Multiple Sclerosis Who Are Transitioning From Rebif® (Interferon Beta-1a) to Rebif New Formulation (RNF)
Study design: Supportive Care, Randomized, Open Label, Uncontrolled, Parallel Assignment, Safety Study
Primary outcome: The primary endpoint is the relative % change in Global Side Effect score (i.e., a total score from MS Treatment Concerns Questionnaire Side Effect questions Q9, 10 & 11) at week 12 (RNF) compared to baseline (current Rebif) across all subjects
Secondary outcome: Quality of Life and Tolerability
Minimum age: 18 Years.
Maximum age: 60 Years.
1. Subject with a relapsing form of MS; diagnosis of MS is in accordance with the
2. Subject currently taking Rebif 44mcg tiw, and has been on this treatment for at least
6 months (24 weeks) prior to study enrollment
3. Subject currently using Rebiject II and 29 gauge needle
4. Subject is between 18 and 60 years old inclusive
5. Subject is able to read and understand English
6. Subject is willing to follow study procedures
7. Subject has given written informed consent and signed HIPAA
8. Female subjects must not be either pregnant or breast-feeding and must lack
childbearing potential, as defined by either: i) Being post-menopausal or surgically
sterile, or ii) Using a hormonal contraceptive, intra-uterine device, diaphragm with
spermicide, or condom with spermicide, for the duration of the study. (Confirmation
required within 30 days prior to start of the study)
1. Use of any other injectable medications on a regular basis during the week prior to
the screening period or during the screening or treatment periods. Receiving a single
injection for treatment or prophylaxis of a condition unrelated to the subject's
multiple sclerosis or the subject's RebifÂ® therapy (e. g., receiving a influenza or
pneumococcus vaccination) is acceptable
2. Subject receiving MS therapy in addition (i. e., combination therapy) to RebifÂ® within
3 months prior to study enrollment or at any time during study protocol.
3. Subjects who have previously been on Rebif New Formulation.
4. Subject with progressive forms of MS.
5. Subject with history of any chronic pain syndrome.
6. Subject has any other disease apart from MS that could better explain the subjects
signs and symptoms.
7. Subject has complete transverse myelitis or bilateral optic neuritis.
8. Subjects that use any investigational drug or experimental procedure within 12 weeks
of visit 1.
9. Subject received oral or systemic corticosteroids or ACTH within 30 days of visit 1
(prior to enrollment).
10. Subject has inadequate liver function, defined by a total bilirubin, aspartate
aminotransferase (AST) or alanine aminotransferase (ALT) or alkaline phosphatase > 2. 5
times the upper limit of the normal values.
11. Subject has inadequate bone marrow reserve, defined as a white blood cell count less
than 0. 5 x lower limit of normal.
12. Subject suffers from other current autoimmune disease.
13. Subject suffers from major medical or psychiatric illness that in the opinion of the
investigator creates undue risk to the subject or could affect compliance with the
14. Subject is pregnant or attempting to conceive
15. Visual or physical impairment that precludes completion of diaries and
Locations and Contacts
EMD Serono, Inc., Rockland, Massachusetts 02370, United States
Full FDA approved prescribing information can be found here
Starting date: April 2007
Ending date: August 2008
Last updated: January 15, 2008