Effects of Etanercept on the Heart, Veins and Thickness of Certain Major Arteries In Ankylosing Spondylitis Patients
Information source: Pfizer
ClinicalTrials.gov processed this data on August 20, 2015
Link to the current ClinicalTrials.gov record.
Condition(s) targeted: Ankylosing Spondylitis
Intervention: etanercept (Drug)
Phase: Phase 4
Sponsored by: Pfizer
Official(s) and/or principal investigator(s):
Pfizer CT.gov Call Center, Study Director, Affiliation: Pfizer
Study to assess whether etanercept therapy is able to increase flow-mediated vasodilatation
in AS, and whether etanercept can modify the intima-media thickness (IMT) in these patients
Official title: Effects of Etanercept on Endothelial Function and Carotid Intima-media Thickness (IMT) in Patients With Active AS
Study design: Allocation: Randomized, Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study, Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment, Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Caregiver, Investigator), Primary Purpose: Treatment
Primary outcome: To evaluate the effects of etanercept on endothelial function and IMT in patients with AS at 12 weeks.
Secondary outcome: 1. To evaluate sustained effect of etanercept on endothelial function and IMT in patients with AS at 52 weeks.
Minimum age: 18 Years.
Maximum age: N/A.
1. Diagnosis of AS, as defined by Modified New York Criteria for Ankylosing Spondylitis.
2. AS with active disease as defined by Bath Ankylosing Spondylitis Disease Activity
Index (BASDAI, see Attachment 4) >= 4 at screening visit.
3. Patients capable, in the opinion of the investigator, of complying with the treatment
schedule and doses throughout the 52 weeks
4. Agreement by male subjects who are not surgically sterile and female subjects who are
not surgically sterile or postmenopausal to use reliable methods of birth control for
the duration of the study.
5. Ability to self-inject drug or have a designee who can do so.
6. Ability to store injectable test article at 2ºC to 8ºC.
1. Pregnancy confirmed by test taken at screening in all women except those who were
surgically sterile or at least 1 year postmenopausal. Sexually active women of
childbearing potential participating in the study must use a medically acceptable form of
contraception that needs to be continued for 15 days following discontinuation of the test
Locations and Contacts
Pfizer Investigational Site, Bologna 40138, Italy
Pfizer Investigational Site, Prato 59100, Italy
Pfizer Investigational Site, Reggio Emilia 42100, Italy
Pfizer Investigational Site, Roma 00161, Italy
To obtain contact information for a study center near you, click here.
Starting date: July 2009
Last updated: June 7, 2012