This study intends to demonstrate bioequivalence and lack of food effect on 250mg lamotrigine
XR in healthy male and female volunteers
Minimum age: 19 Years.
Maximum age: 55 Years.
- Male or female subjects aged from 19 to 55 years, inclusive.
- Body weight >50 kg (males) or >45 kg (females) and BMI within the range 19 - 32 kg/m2
- Healthy as determined by a responsible physician, based on a medical evaluation
including history, physical examination, laboratory tests, vital signs and ECG. A
subject with a clinical abnormality or laboratory parameters outside the reference
range for the population being studied may be included only if the Investigator
considers that the finding will not introduce additional risk factors and will not
interfere with the study procedures
- Female subjects of non-child bearing potential will be eligible to participate if they
meet the following criteria:
- Post-menopausal females defined as being amenorrhoeic for greater than 2 years
with an appropriate clinical profile, e. g. age appropriate, history of vasomotor
symptoms. However if indicated this should be confirmed by oestradiol and FSH
levels consistent with menopause (according to local laboratory ranges).
- Pre-menopausal females with a documented (medical report verification)
hysterectomy and/or bilateral oophorectomy, the latter only when the reproductive
status of the woman has been confirmed by follow up hormone level assessment.
- Female subjects of child bearing potential will be eligible to participate if
they comply with the contraception requirements.
- A negative pre-study Hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg), Hepatitis C antibody, and
HIV antibody result at screening.
- A negative pre-study urine drug screen.
- A negative screen for alcohol (urine, blood or breath test).
- Signed and dated written informed consent prior to admission to the study.
- Female subjects of childbearing potential will not be eligible to participate who are
unwilling or unable to use an appropriate method of contraception as outlined in the
inclusion criteria from at least the commencement of their last normal period prior to
the first dose of study medication; and to continue until the first normal period
(defined as normal for the woman, both in terms of duration and quantity of menses)
after treatment or 5 half lives of the study medication, whichever is the longest .
- Female subject is pregnant (positive serum human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) test at
screening) or lactating.
- Female subjects using hormonal contraceptive precautions including progesterone-coated
- Female subjects using oestrogen-containing hormone replacement therapy.
- Subjects who have received lamotrigine previously (subjects who received placebo in a
previous study will be allowed)
- History or evidence of drug or alcohol abuse within 12 months of study start.
- QTc >450msec for women and QTc >430 msec for men on the screening 12-lead ECG.
- Current smokers of 10 or more cigarettes per day.
- History of regular alcohol consumption averaging >7 drinks/week for women or >14
drinks/week for men within 6 months of screening. One drink is equivalent to 12 g
alcohol = 5 ounces (150 ml) of wine or 12 ounces (360 ml) of beer or 1. 5 ounces (45
ml) of 80 proof distilled spirits.
- Has received prescribed or non-prescribed medication (including vitamins and herbal
remedies) within 14 days prior to the dosing day, which in the opinion of the
Principal/Co-Investigator, may interfere with the study procedures or compromise
- History of gastro-intestinal, hepatic, or renal disease or other condition known to
interfere with the absorption, distribution, metabolism or excretion of drugs.
- History of clinically relevant skin rashes that, in the opinion of the investigator,
might interfere with the conduct of the study.
- Treatment with an investigational drug within 30 days or 5 half-lives (whichever is
longer) preceding the first dose of study medication.
- History of allergic, anaphylactic, hypersensitivity or idiosyncratic reaction(s) to
lamotrigine or drugs of a similar type.