The purpose of this study is to evaluate the clinical and microbial efficacy and safety of
AzaSite compared to tobramycin for bacterial conjunctivitis. Adults and children one year of
age and older with bacterial conjunctivitis in at least one eye are eligible. Subjects will
be randomly assigned to the AzaSite group or Tobramycin group. Three visits will be required
for the study.
Minimum age: 1 Year.
Maximum age: N/A.
- Male or female subject, of any race, who is at least 1 year of age.
- Subjects must have a clinical diagnosis of acute bacterial conjunctivitis and exhibit
mucopurulent or purulent conjunctival discharge (crusty or sticky eyelids, globular
and yellow discharge) and redness in at least one eye.
- The symptoms of bacterial conjunctivitis must be present for 3 days (approximately 72
hours) or less.
- Must be willing to discontinue contact lens wear for the duration of the study.
- Any uncontrolled systemic disease or debilitating disease.
- Use of topical ophthalmic solutions including tear substitutes within 2 hours before
and during the study.
- Use of any topical ophthalmic anti-inflammatory agents within 48 hours before and
- Any active upper respiratory tract infection.
- Pregnant or nursing females.
- Use of any antibiotic (topical or systemic) within 72 hours of enrollment.
Renaissance Center, Birmingham, Alabama 35205, United States
Children's Eye Physicians, Littleton, Colorado 80122, United States
Advanced Eye Care, Panama City, Florida 32405, United States
The Eye Associates, Bradenton, Florida 34209, United States
Pasco Eye Institute, New Port Richey, Florida 34652, United States
Tukoi Institute for Clinical Research, North Miami Beach, Florida 33169, United States
Palm Beach Eye Associates, Atlantis, Florida 33462, United States
Alan Shuster, MD, Jupiter, Florida 33458, United States
Presidential Eye Center, West Palm Beach, Florida 33401, United States
Jon Fishburn, MD, Boise, Idaho 83706, United States
Medisphere Medical Research Center, LLC, Evansville, Indiana 47714, United States
Hutchinson Clinic, Hutchinson, Kansas 67502, United States
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, United States
Research Eye Care Center, Kansas City, Missouri 64132, United States
Ophthalmology Associates, Creve Coeur, Missouri 63141, United States
Mason Eye Institute, Columbia, Missouri 65212, United States
Ophthalmology Associates, Princeton, New Jersey 08540, United States
Huntington Medical Group, Huntington Station, New York 11746, United States
Cornerstone Eye Care, High Point, North Carolina 27262, United States
Eye Health Northwest, Portland, Oregon 97209, United States
Irving Weinberger, MD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15228, United States
Southern Eye Associates, PA, Greenville, South Carolina 29605, United States
Corona Research Consultants, Inc., El Paso, Texas 79904, United States
Cottonwood Ophthalmology Associates, Murray, Utah 84107, United States
Wenatchee Valley Medical Center, Wenatchee, Washington 98801, United States
Rockwood Clinic, PS-Eye Center, Spokane, Washington 99205, United States