Zyrtec (Cetirizine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Zyrtec (Cetirizine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 32 ratings/reviews, Zyrtec has an overall score of 7.78. The effectiveness score is 8.75 and the side effect score is 7.81. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Zyrtec review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   severe allergies
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1x per day for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   When I started taking Zyrtec I had severe sore throat pain that I thought might be strep throat. It turned out to be environmental allergies. While I was taking Claritin for about a year, it wasn;t having any effect on these allergies.
Side effects:   When I first started taking it, I would get drowsy. I started splitting the pill in half and taking them about 12 hours apart and this seemed to help. Also I noticed a drastic decrease in alcohol tolerance.
Comments:   I took a half of a 10 mg Zyrtec tablet 2X a day for about 2 months. I do not have health insurance and could not get a refill.

Zyrtec review by 44 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken daily for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   fatigue,runny eyes, nose,allergies, sinus headaches

Benefits:   When I took Zyrtec on a daily basis, my allergy symptoms were reduced. I didn't appear to have the headaches (band around my head) as often nor did I have the pain in the ears associated with this band quite so frequently, my nose was not quite so 'runny' or itchy. I found my nose clearer during the daytime and I had less 'sniffles' as compared to days when I did not take the Zyrtec at all. Overall, it improved my symptoms notably.
Side effects:   If I took my Zyrtec in the a.m., then by mid-afternoon I could not function. Drowziness, brain-fog, fatigue. If I took Zyrtec at dinner-time it appeared not to affect me. If I forgot and did not take it until bed-time, then the next morning I could 'not wake up'. Severe tiredness.
Comments:   I discovered that I had to take the Zyrtec at dinner-time. If I forgot and knew I had a busy day or early appointments/meetings, I must skip that day's dosage. If I don't take it continuously, it is nowhere near as affective.

Zyrtec review by care giver of 16 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   hives, itching, swelling due to allergies
Dosage & duration:   1 teaspoon daily (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   No allergic reactions while taking daily doses of Zyrtec and no side effects at all.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   My son had been having terrible problems with allergies. The cause is still unknown. Constant hives, itching and worst of all his lips & eyes would swell excessively to the point where he couldn't leave the house. He was prescribed Zyrtec 5 years ago and the only time he has a reaction is when he forgets to take his daily dose. It has been wonderful. Absolutely no side effects.

Zyrtec review by 17 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once daily for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Fewer allergies and sinus headaches.
Side effects:   Possible weight gain.
Comments:   Drug taken for allergies and sinus problems. It helped to alleviate sinus pain.

Zyrtec review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   seasonal allergies
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once daily for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   HBP
Other drugs taken:   metaprolol, benicar, aspirin, benadryl

Benefits:   This medicine stopped post nasal drip, itching throat, eyes, and nose.
Side effects:   There were no treatment side effects noted.
Comments:   I have taken this medicine once daily, in the morning for at least 5 years. It has been very helpful and does not make me sleepy. It does not, however, last the 24 hours claimed, which is why I also take benadryl at night to manage allergy symptoms at night.

Zyrtec review by 38 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1/day for the period of as needed for months

Benefits:   helped decrease reactions to common allergens. I have hay fever every spring and Zyrtec helped with the common symptoms of hay fever. Helped decrease sneezing, runny nose and decreased reactivity to allergens experienced during the spring season when my allergies are the worst.
Side effects:   dry nose, slight bleeding of nose. Otherwise, no other symptoms, no drowsiness, no nausea or any other side effects
Comments:   took as symptoms of seasonal allergies started. Used primarily 1 pill per day maybe 3-5 times per week from April to September.

Condition / reason:   allergic rash
Dosage & duration:   1 tab every morning taken 1 per day for the period of 14 days

Benefits:   The rash and itch were suppressed after 2 days, and gradually the rash disappeared over the course of 7 days.
Side effects:   there were no side effects. these do not cause drowsiness, and one can take them in the day.
Comments:   i was instructed to take the pills orally every morning until the rash subsided

Condition / reason:   eczema/allergies
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once daily for the period of every day
Other conditions:   blepharitis asthma

Benefits:   After taking zirtek I no longer suffer from my horrible symptoms of my allergic rhinitis if i miss a tablet the symptoms are back almost immediately but after taking zirtek after an hour my symptoms almost dissappear. I now sleep better as MY symptoms usually worsen at night and i can visit friends and family with pets now. Before zirtek I couldn't as I have severe reaction to fur.
Side effects:   I have had no side effects from taking zirtek.
Comments:   I take 1 10mg tablet every morning.

Zyrtec review by 36 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1xday for the period of every day, still taking
Other conditions:   Frequent Nasal Infections
Other drugs taken:   Singulair

Benefits:   Over the course of about three to four months of daily use, lifelong allergies started to decrease and then disappear altogether.
Side effects:   None for me, some of the possible side effects are dry nasal passages, nose bleeds, and it could keep you awake if you take it too close to bedtime, but I have not experienced any of those except for 2 or 3 nose bleeds over the course of six or seven years.
Comments:   1 Tablet once per day, each day. It takes 3-4 weeks of daily use to get the full benefits.

Zyrtec review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   sinusitis
Dosage & duration:   One tablet (?) taken 1 x d for the period of 1 month
Other drugs taken:   oral contraceptives, nasalchrom

Benefits:   Moderate reduction in alergy symptoms
Side effects:   an intollerable level of sedation. Even though I took the medication before bedtime, the next day I felt exhausted and mentally dull for the entire day. Given the moderate level of symptom relief, this was not a reasonable trade-off.
Comments:   Was instructed to take medication at bedtime to reduce sedating effects.

Condition / reason:   allergic rhinitis
Dosage & duration:   20mg qd taken qd for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   migaine, depression
Other drugs taken:   prozac

Benefits:   no watery itchy eyes, no runny stuffy nose. no sneezing. Normally my eyes are sticky and itchy and I sneez unconrtoallably. Also y nose woudl get completely stuffy and drip water constantly.
Side effects:   I had no drowsiness or hyper feelings. I felt completly normal.
Comments:   Very easy...just take once a day with water. It worked for 24 hours. It was small and east to swallow as well.

Zyrtec review by 36 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   itching
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of 8 years

Benefits:   no itching, no allergy, no dermagraphism
Side effects:   dry eyes and skin. ocusal plugs took care of dry eyes, mousturizers help with dry skin. not sleepy at all unlike many other drugs. Claritin makes me shaky, Allegra and singulaire do not help.
Comments:   take a pills in the morning every day with water

Zyrtec review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   water in ear
Dosage & duration:   1 daily (dosage frequency: 1 daily) for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   It did clear up my inner ear water. It also seemed to dry up the constant mucus that seemed to be in my sinuses. This helped me to be able to breathe better.
Side effects:   The only side effect that I could notice was dryness in my mouth and nostrils. I seemed to be thirsty all of the time. And my nose and sinuses seemed to be really dry.
Comments:   I took 1 pill each day. I enjoyed not having to take it more than once per day. I have problems remembering to take more than one dose a day.

Zyrtec review by 41 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   skin allergy
Dosage & duration:   1 per day (dosage frequency: 1 per day) for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   vitamins

Benefits:   I suffer from itching from different causes - clothes, shower gel, even just hot water. In about forty mins from taking the drug, the itching stops. The skin redness subsides within 2 or 3 hours, however not entirely. The effects last for nearly full day.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   1 pill a day (night time preferably)

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken daily for the period of years

Benefits:   reduced hives associated with allergy. Lasted for 24 hours so did not need more than once a day. Was the only effective treatment. Doctor had switched to generic brand which did not work as effectivly. Available as otc now but I do not feel it is the same as the perscription strength was
Side effects:   had to be taken at night because of drowsiness
Comments:   was more effective than any other brand of allergy medicine. OTC now available is not as effective. Took daily in the evening to combat allerigies for 24 hours

Zyrtec review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   allergies
Dosage & duration:   1 tsp (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 5 days

Benefits:   After moving to Okalahoma, allergies became a problem. Different medicines prescribed and over the counter were tried. At one point, I had to visit the doctor every six months two get a B12 shot and a steroid shot. I was not pleased with the such frequent visits to the doctor's office but needed a treat for my new found allergies that were really affecting my work and family life.
Side effects:   A rash on my face occurred after two days and the medicine made very anxious. After moving to Okalahoma, allergies became a problem. Different medicines prescribed and over the counter were tried. At one point, I had to visit the doctor every six months two get a B12 shot and a steroid shot. I was not pleased with the such frequent visits to the doctor's office but needed a treat for my new found allergies that were really affecting my work and family life. Both my 4 year old son and I tried Zyrtec. We both had an allergic reaction in the form of a rash on our face.
Comments:   Allergies are very common in Oklahoma because of the ragweed. Different medicines prescribed and over the counter were tried. At one point, I had to visit the doctor every six months two get a B12 shot and a steroid shot. I was not pleased with the such frequent visits to the doctor's office but needed a treat for my new found allergies that were really affecting my work and family life. I began taking 1 tsp onf Zyrtec once per day. The drug proved to work.

Zyrtec review by care giver of 16 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Eczyma
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once a day for the period of forever

Benefits:   Severe case of eczyma which cleared almost immediately after starting zyrtec
Side effects:   none
Comments:   After several over the counter attempts to clear the rash which was maily on her legs and abdomen we saw a dermatologist. He prescribed Zyrtec. He explained that eczyma was an allergic reaction and the antihistamine effect would help. We were already using ALL free to wash the clothes and using mild soaps. I was skeptical but it worked fantasticly.

Zyrtec review by 24 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once daily for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   I am able to go along my day without sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and runny nose. It has alleviated my symptoms except for a slight cough.
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   I have allergies that were getting progressively worse so I needed something to help me get through the day. I took benadryl without consulting my doctor which helped but the drowsiness was unmanageable. So my doctor told me to try zyrtec and I feel like it has helped tremendously. I only have a slight cough throughout the day but it is manageable. I wish it would take my cough away as well but I can deal with it. I take 10 mg in the morning but my doctor said to take it at night because it might cause drowsiness. It hasn't caused me drowsiness so I take it in the morning because it is easier to remember.

Zyrtec review by 24 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken daily for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   I was able to live without allerigies. Zyrtec alleviated my symptoms except for a slight cough without the drowsiness of other medications.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I was taking benadryl prior to zyrtec. I found that benadryl was way too drowsy and zyrtec isn't. I take zyrtec in the morning and it alleviates my symptoms. My doctor said it was better to take it at night because it might cause drowsiness. I find it easier to take in the morning because I usually forget at night. I find it to be very effective in alleviating most symptoms.

Zyrtec review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   chronic rhinitis and allergies
Dosage & duration:   10 mg caplet once daily taken daily for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   Helped to alleviate allergic reactions to the environmental allergy agents.
Side effects:   Experience drowsiness that should not have been present. I had to take this tablet daily for it to be effective and since I noticed the drowsiness in the daytime that I found impairing, I decided to switch to nigth time.
Comments:   I had mild to moderate allergic reactions to environmental stimuli such as pollen, mold, mildew, dust mites. In addition to using dust proof casings on my bed and avoiding areas where mold and mildew were apparent,t he zyrtec really assisted in helping me feel relatively symptom free. Some of the symptoms I typically had were itchy watery eyes, congestion and occasionally rashes. In some extreme cases, the rashes were extreme as in hives.

Zyrtec review by 45 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Allergy
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken daily for the period of during spring

Benefits:   Zyrtec helped to control my runny nose, watery eyes, and sneezing throughout the spring allergy season. It also proved useful as an antihistamine whenever I had similar symptoms after the normal allergy season (March through April).
Side effects:   I did not have any notable side effects during the course of taking the drug.
Comments:   Take one tablet daily during allergy season.

Zyrtec review by 47 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg. taken daily for the period of over 5 years

Benefits:   Controlled allegies very well
Side effects:   When Zyrtec became over the counter and sold this medicine, something was changed in the formula which caused severe hair loss. After a long process of elimination to find out the cause I stopped Zyrtec and my hair came back. This also happened to my teenage daughter.
Comments:   I took Zyrtec for many years without adverse reaction. Only when it became OTC did the problem begin.

Condition / reason:   allergy - pollen/food syndrome
Dosage & duration:   10 - 20 mg taken once daily for the period of as needed

Benefits:   Reduction or resolution of symptoms related to histamine release- variously sneezing, watery eyes, allergic rhinitis, wheeze (inhaled allergens), oral itching, severe abdominal cramping and diarrhoea ( ingested allergens ). I suffer from pollen allergy which has led to severe food allergies particularly to nuts. Zyrtec works quickly within 15-30 minutes and causes no increased drowsiness, probably decreases it. ( the allergy itself makes one quite tired ).
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   Take one in the morning for prohylaxis when travelling or during pollen season. Take 2 for severe allergic reaction. Crush tablet between teeth and swallow to make it faster to absorb.

Zyrtec review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   environmental allergies
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once per day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   hypertension
Other drugs taken:   hctz

Benefits:   less sneezing, less nasal congestion, less eye irritation, improved energy, improved sleep at night.
Side effects:   none, none, none.
Comments:   Tried a variety of other medications without success. I am still on Zyrtec, even though I pay a lot more for it. I also use Nasonex, which helps, but not to the same scale as Zyrtec.

Zyrtec review by 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Year round allergies
Dosage & duration:   10 mg daily in the morning taken all year round for the period of 7 years
Other conditions:   Addison's Disease, Hypothyroidism, obesity
Other drugs taken:   Hydorcortisone, Fludrocortisone, Ompeprazole, Calcitriol

Benefits:   I have good relief of sneezing, dripping nose, chesty cough, dry throat until a couple of months ago
Side effects:   have been on citirizine for approximately 7 years if not more. I saw my GP last week to change as the cetirizine was no longer working on my allergies. Since then I have slept only for about 12 hours (in six days), a nauseous feeling in my stomach with dizziness, stomach cramps, a permanent knot in my stomach, shivers, tremors and sweats, I am worried about itching starting now. The good news is that I am less fuzzy in my head even though I am tired, my bladder control is back and I seem to be losing some of the 3/4 stones I have gained since taking the drug. Today I took half a tablet just to function in my job
Comments:   I was prescribed one tablet daily along with eye drops and a nasal spray, over seven years ago.

Zyrtec review by 37 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   sinus infections/constant mucus & post nasal drip
Dosage & duration:   10 mg/daily taken every day for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   Stopped 90% of symptoms
Side effects:   Severe fatigue, irritability, brain fog, depression, anxiety
Comments:   Didn't realize these feelings were actually side effects from my allergy medicine until I ran out of the zyrtec, and aside from the severe itching all over my body for about a week, I felt so much better. A little runny nose, but no allergy medicine is worth feeling as bad as I did for the last 5 years on zyrtec. My 7 yr old son was affected the same way

Zyrtec review by 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Year round allergies
Other conditions:   Addison's Disease, Hypothyroidism, obesity
Other drugs taken:   Hydorcortisone, Fludrocortisone, Ompeprazole, Calcitriol

Zyrtec review by 29 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   for allergic condition and there after begning of
Dosage & duration:   5mg taken once a day for the period of 2 o
Other conditions:   sinusitis
Other drugs taken:   antibiotics

Benefits:   stopped sneezing runny nose and other allergic symptoms.effecive for common cold and fever if given in the begning of the disease.can be taken till the sputum changes the color to yellow.can be taken till transparent sputum or discharge from nose.result is very quick (within some hours after taking the tablet)
Side effects:   my doctor toldme not to drive a car or swim while taking the tablet asit may have some sedative effect.when i took the tablet,i felt a sort of tiredness.and surely i slept well.these were the 2 side effects which i felt and when i stopped the tablet the symptoms disappeared.
Comments:   i was a person with sinusitis due to allergy.if i happen to take dusty book or something i used to sneeze a lot then get fever and eventually nasalblockage.i used totake antibiotics every now and then.later doctor toldme to take cetirizine once or twice a day when the symtoms start.i took the medicine and the symtoms disappeared within some hours.now i am no more taking antibiotics as my allegy doesnt lead to sinusitis or fever.

Zyrtec review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   seasonal allergies
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1 per day for the period of 60 days
Other conditions:   Moderate Bronchiectesis
Other drugs taken:   Antibiotics

Benefits:   For seasonal allergies, I would highly recommend Zyrtec. I have had allergy shots to no avail, and have suffered from seasonal allergies my whole life. While the side effects that I experienced were annoying, they did not negate the benefits of taking the medicine. It made all of my allergy symptoms disappear (itchy eyes, hayfever, nasal congestion etc) The side effects were extreme cotton mouth, and I mean extreme. It also very much interrupted a restful night sleep. However, as annoying as these are, it was worth it to have the affect of the drug itself in dealing with seasonal allergies.
Side effects:   Dry Mouth, Lack of sleep
Comments:   For seasonal allergies, I would highly recommend Zyrtec. I have had allergy shots to no avail, and have suffered from seasonal allergies my whole life. While the side effects that I experienced were annoying, they did not negate the benefits of taking the medicine. It made all of my allergy symptoms disappear (itchy eyes, hayfever, nasal congestion etc) The side effects were extreme cotton mouth, and I mean extreme. It also very much interrupted a restful night sleep. However, as annoying as these are, it was worth it to have the affect of the drug itself in dealing with seasonal allergies.

Zyrtec review by 51 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg, then 5 mg taken 1/day for the period of 1.5 years
Other conditions:   high cholesterol
Other drugs taken:   Zocor

Benefits:   almost 100% elimination of allergy symptoms
Side effects:   mild-moderate fatigue on awakening, brain fog till after lunch (at 10 mg dose)
Comments:   Started on Zyrtec after Claritin was ineffective and Allegra caused arrhythmias. Combined with nasal steroid spray for very effective relief of allergies. Cut dose to 5 mg daily to reduce brain fog/fatigue issue - this works most of the time, ezcept on high mold spore or pollen days.

Zyrtec review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   atopic eczema
Dosage & duration:   1 pill when the eczema was itching taken 4 times for the period of 4 days

Benefits:   The drug was very effective in counteracting severe itching caused by atopic eczema. Zyrtec was more effective than other similar drugs (Zodac, Zaditen) which I took before for the same condition. It did not have the effect of treating the actual cause of the symptoms (eczema) but it was very effective in treating symptoms, which was what I expected (I took other topical drugs for the eczema which did not ease the itching sensation).
Side effects:   I felt slightly tired after taking Zyrtec. However, this was not severe and I always took it in the evening because the information leaflet did mention that the drug can have these side effects. I was also always slightly more tired in the following morning (about 8-9 hrs after taking the drug) than typically.
Comments:   This is a non-prescription drug and I took it because I was experiencing severe itching caused by eczema. It was recommended to me by my dermatologist. I only took it about 4 times when the itching was very bad, and it did alleviate it. I always took 1 pill a day.

Zyrtec review by 28 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Rhinitis
Dosage & duration:   2 times 10 mg/day taken 60 times (about a month worth of doses) for the period of about a month
Other conditions:   AV reentry tachycardia
Other drugs taken:   Cardizem

Benefits:   My allergy symptoms got much better. But thats what one would expect. There is not much more to say, i am just filling the "50 words", so go on reading.
Side effects:   Very high blood pressure
Comments:   Since taking Zyrtec, my bloodpressure rose very high. First i did not recognize this was because of the Zyrtec, but discontinuing the drug brought back normal blood pressure.