Zyprexa (Olanzapine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Zyprexa (Olanzapine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 7 ratings/reviews, Zyprexa has an overall score of 6. The effectiveness score is 7.71 and the side effect score is 6.86. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Zyprexa review by care giver of 81 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   agitation management r/t Lewy Body Syndrome Demen
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken x1 / daily for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   B/P ,Diabetes, obesity, SVT's,osteoporosis
Other drugs taken:   ASA, Cardia, Fosamax, glyburide,Lorazepam, Metformin, Namenda,Razadyne, Simvastatin, Zetia, Plavix

Benefits:   The Zyprexa minimized agitative outbursts
Side effects:   The pt developed severe "gait freezing" , gait shuffling, severe muscle weakness, and gereral stupor
Comments:   Since many of these s/s are also s/s of the disease-Lewy Body Syndrome Demenia, it took research and experimentation by me and the MD to realize that it was the med adn not the disease in this case. The pt has been taken off the drug and no longer has these pronounced s/s.

Zyprexa review by 20 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken every night for the period of six years
Other conditions:   anorexia nervosa
Other drugs taken:   Lamictal, birth control (Jolessa)

Benefits:   Went from severely depressed before starting the medication to almost entirely free of depression a week after starting the medication; helped with insomnia.
Side effects:   drowsiness in the beginning, but I quickly got used to it.
Comments:   I entered a hospuital six years ago for suicidality; I wasn't sleeping, I wasn't eating (I had anorexia nervosa), and I was extremely depressed. I started taking 10mg of Zyprexa the first night I was there. I was really drowsy all the next day, but it waned over a few days (now it doesn't affect my energy level at all.) In about a week, my depression just lifted. This medicine has worked miracles for me- I've been depression-free since starting it- and I wouldn't go off it for any reason.

Zyprexa review by care giver of 13 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   psychosis
Dosage & duration:   2 Mg taken once daily for the period of one month
Other conditions:   anxiety and dpression

Benefits:   stopped paranoid delusions
Side effects:   excessive sedation and excessive weight gain
Comments:   patient was prescribed Zyprexa at Providence Hospital Emergency care by telephone consult with psychiatrist to delay and/or prevent in-patient hospitalization. Side effects, especially sedation were evident immediately after coming home. Returned to emergency, tranferred to in-patient care, two weeks, to observe medication with therapy. Switched to Abilify.

Zyprexa review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   schizophrenia
Dosage & duration:   27.5 mg taken daily for the period of 3 years
Other drugs taken:   respiridone and lorazepam

Benefits:   There was very little benefit to me. I was having psychotic episodes every day. The drug puportedly taken to stop the episodes did nothing. The best thing it did was make me drowsy and help me sleep.
Side effects:   The side effect mainly was weight gain, especially around the abdominal area. I've been on a medically supervised diet to lose the weight I gained from the drug and have lost weight but not around my abdomen, it seems the Olanzapine can cause this type of weight gain.
Comments:   I see a psychiatrist monthly. I have tried every drug recommended for Schizophrenia and none of the drugs have worked. I still have psychotic episodes.

Zyprexa review by 52 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   schizoaffective disorder
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 3x daily for the period of 13 years
Other conditions:   ptsd and ocd
Other drugs taken:   neuorontin,luvox,symmetrel,depakote

Benefits:   my experience with zyprexa has been very positive. it really saved my life. i am able to think very clearly now.
Side effects:   none with only one exception, orthohypotension
Comments:   i became very depressed in 1986 and very suicidal then, experiened a mixed state. iwas very sick for the next 2 years and very angry. for some reason of its own the illness went into total remission. i had a relapse in 1991 and spent 3 months in a state hospital. i was on stelazine then prolixin i developed td and tried on risperddal it was ineffective. in 1997 i was put on zyprexa it kept me out of the hospital for 13 years all i can say is that zy prexa has made me feel so alive.

Zyprexa review by 46 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   schizo-affect/bi-polar
Dosage & duration:   15 mg. taken 3 times a day for the period of 13 years
Other conditions:   hypo thyroidism
Other drugs taken:   klonopin,prozac,abilify,and synthroid

Benefits:   no longer caught up in constant delusions,able to attend partial hospital program 5 days a week. i maintain my own apartment and live with independence.i socialize with friends and i am no longer in and out of hospital.i look forward to joining the y.m.c.a. and start exercising and also am considering a part time job.
Side effects:   weight gain around mid-section,loss of libido.
Comments:   zyprexa has enabled me to enjoy life again and keep me out of hospital.unlike the older anti-psychotics i'm not apathetic about every thing,but enjoy doing things.

Zyprexa review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Bipolar Disorder Type II
Dosage & duration:   15mg taken 3 times per day for the period of approximately 2 years
Other drugs taken:   Effexor XR & Tegretol (Carbamazapine)

Benefits:   While taking Zyprexa, I never experienced any episodes of hypomania (low mania) which typically accompany Bipolar Type II; however, I attribute this mostly to the fact that Zyprexa is very sedating. It should be noted that although Zyprexa is classified as an A-typical antipsychotic, it is also used as a mood stabilizer in patients with Bipolar Disorder.
Side effects:   Increased appetite which of course lead to weight gain which caused me to feel depressed! I am not exaggerating when I say my appetite was almost insatiable. Excessive sleepiness during the day which caused me to actually start falling asleep while talking to someone on several occassions. It also made me feel almost "numb" emotionally. Sedation along with an insatiable appetite caused me to gain over 25 pounds.
Comments:   My psychiatrist prescribed Zyprexa to help with the mood swings of Bipolar Disorder. I am classified as Bipolar Type II because I do not experience the extreme highs of mania (manic episodes) that accompany Bipolar Type I. I do, however, experience hypomania (hypo meaning low) so my moods still swing from highs to the extreme lows of depression.