Zoloft (Sertraline) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Zoloft (Sertraline) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 52 ratings/reviews, Zoloft has an overall score of 7.56. The effectiveness score is 8 and the side effect score is 7.88. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Zoloft review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression/anxiety
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken once a day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   sleep problems
Other drugs taken:   trazadone

Benefits:   depression greatly reduced, anxiety lessened.
Side effects:   weight gain, sexual disfunction.
Comments:   treatment began for post partum depression and continued once adjustments were made.

Condition / reason:   anxiety / restlessness
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken once per day for the period of 5 years +

Benefits:   better thought process - clear thinking better sleep at night less anxious
Side effects:   none
Comments:   100mg zoloft per day (one pill per day)

Zoloft review by 35 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   200 mg taken once a day for the period of 7 years

Benefits:   Became less emotional and therefore able to function better in everyday settings,especially as I experienced no side-effects.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   200 mg once a day for seven years so far has worked very well,and will continue to take this medication at this dosage for at least another year,maybe more.

Zoloft review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Dosage & duration:   1 Pill taken 2 xs a day for the period of 5 months

Benefits:   Less pain with same symptoms
Side effects:   Unclear thinking
Comments:   Condition was long term and stress related. Zoloft was merely a measure to ease the discomfort.

Zoloft review by 30 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   50mg once a day taken once a day, in the morning for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   panic disorder, mixed personality disorder
Other drugs taken:   Xanax 0,5 mg (as needed)

Benefits:   While I definitely did notice some improvement in my depression, I believe that Zoloft is far from being a truly effective antidepressant drug. My depression had somewhat subsided and my panic attacks were less severe, albeit not completely gone.
Side effects:   From my personal experience, this drug exerts its effects mainly through a total numbing of one`s emotions. I had become a zombie, not feeling depressed but at the same time not feeling any positive emotions. My emotions had been totally flattened. My libido was gone. I had absolutely no desire for any kind of sexual activity.
Comments:   50 mg per day, in the mornings. Total duration of the treatment: 3 years. During the treatment course, attempts were made to titrate the dosage to 100 mg per day, but I couldn`t tolerate it.

Zoloft review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression;
Dosage & duration:   100 mg. taken every day for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   anxiety;obsessive compulsive thinking

Benefits:   The benefits included mood elevation,obsessive thinking became less. Anxiety and sleeping definately improved.
Side effects:   Major weight gain!!!!
Comments:   I had to take 25mg. to start and increase from there up to 100 mg. per day. I also had some therapy. Homework. I had to slowly put myself into situations that previously made me very anxious, this drug truly helped!!! I really did hate the weight gain though.

Zoloft review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety disorder
Dosage & duration:   half a tablet taken once a day for the period of 12 months
Other conditions:   mild asthma

Benefits:   The drug did seem to make me feel more confident at the beginning, however towards the 10 11 months it didn't seem to work anymore.
Side effects:   Definitely lower my libido. Sleepiness when I first started taking it.
Comments:   I just had to take the medication, there was no suggestion on counseling.

Zoloft review by 45 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   50 mg /day taken 1x day for the period of 4 years

Benefits:   Completely eliminated anxiety disorder characterized by panic attacks and generalized anxiety after dosage of 50 mg/day was taken. Downsside was that while on 25 mg/day start up dose for the first 7 days anxiety was extremely worsened and almost unbearable.
Side effects:   Initial weight loss
Comments:   Patient taking 50 mg/day for generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks. Initial start up dose 25 mg/day for 7 days. Anxiety extremely heightened and patient almost disscontinued med because of it. Hung in there and pill started to decrease and finally eliminate anxiety.

Dosage & duration:   50 mg. daily taken once a day for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   Anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Xanax

Benefits:   Moderate lifting of depressive episode, made it so I could function better in everyday life.
Side effects:   None that I could detect. Nothing noticeable. Maybe just a bit more insomnia but I had that before taking Zoloft.
Comments:   I went to my internist and told him that I wanted to be put on a low dose of an antidepressant and something for my anxiety . I had been on Effexor for many years, awile ago. Effexor worked but the withdrawal symptoms were horrible, even if I so much as missed a dose. Perhaps it was a placebo effect, but I felt the Zoloft working after about a week. Nothing earth shattering,but noticeable.

Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken once/ day for the period of 10 years
Other drugs taken:   klonopin

Benefits:   relaxed
Side effects:   tired
Comments:   Taking zoloft once a day IF YOU ARE REALLY DEPRESSED may work wonders. But try to gat off of it as soon as possible. Long term side effects are still not known.

Zoloft review by 36 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   100mg and down to 50mg taken daily for the period of 8 years
Other conditions:   difficult to get off of

Benefits:   When the antidepressant finally kicked in (after about two weeks), I finally felt "normal." It made me realize how down I was. I've heard other people say the same thing about feeling "normal." I would still get down but it wouldn't last for days. I could get through it like a healthy-minded person. It was such a relief from what I had been feeling. I told myself that I would take it forever if I had to......anything to not feel what I had been feeling for years: depressed that I'm not good enough.
Side effects:   In the past few years I've tried to get off of it by reducing my dose. I cut my pills in half (to 50 mg) and after a few weeks went through a depression that REALLY sucked. But I got through it. When I tried to take it down to 25 mg, I got really depressed again and it wouldn't go away. I went back up to 50mg and am still there.
Comments:   When I try again to cut back on the dose, I think I'll go to a psychiatrist while doing it. Regular physicians who refill my prescription don't know me and don't know how to offer advice about doing this. My treatment details....I take it every day. Sometimes I've forgotten a day or have run out of a prescription and didn't get it refilled for a few days. I got a bit light headed. Definitely not something you can quit cold turkey.

Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken 1 time a day for the period of 10 years
Other drugs taken:   klonopin

Benefits:   less severe depression. Lessoning of anxiety.
Side effects:   loss of sexual interest.
Comments:   take one pill once a day

Zoloft review by 50 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   100 mg. taken every day for the period of 8 years
Other conditions:   anxiety

Benefits:   This drug literally changed my life and I wish I had started taking it earlier in life. So many problems would have been solved for me. I was never happy, cryed often and had no self worth at all. I was also very anxious and uncomfortable around people and avoided many social situations because of this. In short I was not enjoying anything at all about life or work! When I started taking Zoloft (under my doctor' care) it was like a miracle for me. I went back to school! I pursued a new career (my old job was nothing other than a hiding place for me) I blossomed! I honestly do not know if this drug has the same effect on everyone but I recommend trying it. I should be the poster child for Zoloft. I am still taking it and may be for the rest of my life. As for people who complain about anti-depressants, there is only one thing to say to them, They obviously have never known the debilitating effects of depression!
Side effects:   No libido
Comments:   I started taking 50 mg. of Zoloft for about a month while my doctor monitored me. And then he gradually increased the dosage.

Zoloft review by care giver of 47 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken once a day for the period of One month
Other conditions:   Cancer

Benefits:   The patient has been taking this in hopes of fighting the depression he is dealing with while going through cancer treatments. He has been taking this drug for one month now and has noticed markable improvements. He is able to concentrate better and focus better. He seems to be in much better spirits and is in all around better spirits.
Side effects:   There have so far been to side effects with this drug.
Comments:   As said, this patient has been taking this in hopes of fighting depression he is dealing with while going through cancer treatments.

Zoloft review by 50 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken once a day for the period of Two months

Benefits:   Patient experienced no treatment benefits.
Side effects:   The major side effect was persistent thoughts of suicide - always by hanging. These thoughts developed after about three weeks of treatment and became more persistent as time went on. Patient stopped taking the medication after two months subsequently informing attending physician, who initially did not believe that medication could provoke that side effect in someone 50 years of age.
Comments:   Treatment details are as described above.

Zoloft review by care giver of 11 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety/panic attacks
Dosage & duration:   50mg taken morning and evening for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   made my daughter less anxious
Side effects:   made my daughter numb to normal social skill development
Comments:   My daughter began having school/social anxiety when she was about 9. She is dyslexic too. She was put on Zoloft to help control her anxiety and panic attacks. I think it helped, however she became numb to a lot of social norms. She never did anything terrible, but I always felt that she would do something inappropriate. We d/c her Zoloft at the beginning of the summer of 2007. We weaned her off per the dr's instructions. She is much more normal now. Minor anxiety and a lot more normal as far as social skills and obeying social norms.

Zoloft review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken 1 100 mg tablet a day for the period of 8 years

Benefits:   Depression free most days.
Side effects:   Withdrawal symptoms. Experienced dizziness occasionally from missed dose.
Comments:   My depression is due to a chemical imbalance. I have been taking some form of SSRI for 20 years and I'm pretty certain I will always have to.

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   can't rememer (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   The depression was treated effectively. I felt more normal shortly after starting treatment.
Side effects:   I apparently didn't have any side effects, at least not any listed on the drug information. However, after a period of a couple months, I became completely turned off by sex. After a longer period, I got freaked out by the idea, not good for a married woman. Still I didn't associate it with Zoloft. I spoke with a friend who had taken Zoloft as well, and she stated that she was 'running' from her husband regarding sex and changed meds. I also requested a change to another anti-depressant and no longer have a libido problem.
Comments:   I was suffering from clinical depression that manifested itself as overall crankiness, irritability and sore, aching muscles in my shoulders and neck. My doctor prescribed muscle relaxers and x-rayed my neck. No problems. I went to a psychiatrist who diagnosed depression. I was given Zoloft and the irritability and muscle aches went away very quickly.

Zoloft review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   post partum anxiety/ depression
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken once daily for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   in a very short amount of time all of my anxiety was gone which was worth the side effects. my depression decreased as well.
Side effects:   the most annoying were the night sweats other than that nothing really that i noticed.
Comments:   i was prescribed zoloft in the past and it worked well, so my doctor thought that we should try it again for my anxiety and depression. it worked very well in a short amount of time. it was worth the night sweats to have normal days.

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Dosage & duration:   100 mgs. taken once a day for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   Type 1 diabetes
Other drugs taken:   Insulin, Ambien, Ritalin

Benefits:   Emotions were somewhat blunted. Less moodiness.
Side effects:   Weight gain, extreme tiredness during the day, insomnia at night, bad effect on libido and sexual ability. Extreme lethargy.
Comments:   I was on Zoloft for about 2 years total. I am extremely sensitive to medication, so I started at a dose of 25 mgs. and slowly titrated up to 100 mgs. I was unaware that this was probably too high of a dose for me. It subsequently caused me to start taking other prescriptions to mitigate some side effects. My doctor prescribed Ritalin and Focalin for the lethargy and fatigue side effects that I experienced during the day, and Ambien for the insomnia that Zoloft caused. I am still on Ambien to this day. The worst effect of Zoloft came when I tried to get off of it. It was total, utter hell. I have since found out that this is euphemistically called, "discontinuation Syndrome." I first cut the dose down to 50 mgs. and did not experience problems. I then slowly titrated down over several months until I came off of it completely. Over the next few weeks, I started experiencing strange, tingling sensations down my body, panic attacks, (which I had never experienced before), and extreme nausea - which became so bad, I lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks. This was all extremely traumatic as I am a type 1 diabetic who needs to eat to balance the insulin I take. The panic attacks got so bad, I had to be on Xanax XR everyday for months. I could not function normally or work. I tried to stick it out because I didn't want to go back on an SSRI after all the trouble and side effects it caused. I went to a MD who was also an alternative care specialist, thinking he could give me St. Johns Wort and I could manage with that until I got over the physical side effects of the SSRI, but it didn't work. I eventually had to go back on an SSRI just to function normally. I am on Lexapro now. I managed to be drug free for the first 40 years of my life (except for insulin), and now because of the aftermath of Zoloft, I am on Ambien, Lexapro, and Valium occasionally for anxiety. To top that off, the alternative doctor put me on a supplement that ended up being an anabolic steroid (which he called a 'nutritional supplement' and I ended up having to go on even more medication to fight the side effects that I incurred from that. All because of Zoloft. I will regret taking it the rest of my life.

Condition / reason:   PMS
Dosage & duration:   50 mg. tablet taken 1 x daily for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   It really evened my mood. I was not irritable at all.
Side effects:   It significantly lowered my sex drive
Comments:   I was taking this medication to help my PMS. I was supposed to use it long term, but I decided to stop because it effective my sex life. I found by changing bad eating habits and getting into a daily exercise routine, help alot.

Zoloft review by 34 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1 pill a day taken every day for the period of 45 days
Other conditions:   IBS

Benefits:   I had no benefits. It didn't seem to make anything better at the time. It seemed the depression was still the same and then I had side effects that affected me daily.
Side effects:   I suffered from daily Headaches and also slight nausea every once in awhile. I also felt very dried out and thirsty. It also affected me by lowering my libido.
Comments:   I was supposed to take a pill every morning with water. I felt better once I stopped taking the pills and actually just started working on myself and my goals and then also wehn I started doing volunteer work to help children.

Condition / reason:   irritability,anxiety
Dosage & duration:   50mg per day taken daily for the period of 2 months still taking
Other conditions:   depression mild

Benefits:   instantly i felt relieved. i am able to stand back a bit from things that would previously really upset me. i am therefore able not to let things get to me,fantastic. so now i don't explode instantly in anger at things anymore, i tried to think myself calm and non reactive previously but it did not work. with zoloft i have a calmness when meeting things that would normally make me enraged .i have time and mental space to be rational and realistic and can choose a sane quiet and dignified response, not aggression and anger. hallelujah.
Side effects:   i felt very nauseous. and dizzy. but these subsided after one month. till then i made sure i ate something with taking the tablet to minimize the discomfort. it was a very very unpleasant sensation of nausea and a kind of vertigo, but the benefits outweighed the negatives. even though it was quite a strong feeling of sickness, very very strong. it has passed now though. thankfully. i considered stopping the zoloft because it was so bad, but if i went back to my old pattern of sadness and anxiety and arguing my husband may seriously have left me. so i persevered. glad i did too. cos the sickness has disapated.
Comments:   i take 50 mg tablet. one a day in the morning with food.

Zoloft review by care giver of 40 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1 day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   weight gain/ night sweats

Benefits:   able to think more clearly and remember things and not so depressed. could function more stable -- began to get more done like in years past. the night sweats from pre menapausal symptoms seemed to go away almost totally; it gave me more hope and not so effected by negative circumstances. I was able to move on with life and function like a normal person
Side effects:   weight gain from taking the med
Comments:   take once a day

Condition / reason:   DEPRESSION
Dosage & duration:   25 mg initial up to 50 mg taken daily for the period of approx 3 years
Other conditions:   nil at the time
Other drugs taken:   nil at the time

Benefits:   Onset of depression as a result of sudden spouse bereavement, ability to continue to care for children, run household, resume paid work, resistance of negative thoughts and behaviours
Side effects:   nil
Comments:   Daily dose, reviewed quarterly by treating GP, along with numerous grief counselling sessions, support groups, self help (positive thinking etc), regular exercise program.

Zoloft review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   clinical depression
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken daily for the period of 20 years

Benefits:   stopped circular thinking/anxiety. Also allowed me to keep focused on tasks and what was going on around me. eliminated suicidal thoughts and allowed me to be more positive. Improved my relationship with others by allowing me to not be self focused and pay attention to the other person
Side effects:   none
Comments:   just taking one pill per day at the same time (AM)

Zoloft review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression, clinical level
Dosage & duration:   50mg. daily initially, slowly increased taken daily for the period of since 1992. Tha's 16 years.
Other conditions:   just this. The third clinical depression.

Benefits:   it gave me back my life. Since taking this my brain chemicals are balanced. Several times I have tapered down and twice, off, and the effects have been terrible. For me, I have a depression that cycles me into such a deep dark place that it is terrifying. I was suicidal and had great despair. THe only thing that changed was taking this medication. I know it does't work for everyone but for me, it waas and continues to be a lifesaver. I am very very thankful everyday.
Side effects:   It takes a few weeks for your brain to become right. I would have a flash of vertigo now and then, but that's it. Nothing else.My body is obviously not able to make the amount of seritonin required. It is genetic.
Comments:   I began on the tiniest amount, 50 mg. once a day. It was not at all effective. I was upped to 100 mg. daily and that made a difference. Afer about 6 months, at my request, the dosage was upped to 150mg. daily. This held me for 7 years. Then I crashed again. The doctor upped it to 200 mg., taking 150mg in the morning and 50mg at bedtime. This has worked for me for many years. Once you pull out of a depression, which is a very physical thing for me, and you can experience a life that is not defined by how gray to black it is, it is humbling. I can now experience tasting food, having a sex life, feeling joy, and actually bound out of bed. My energy is normal. Anyone who claims that they pop antidepressants for kicks as if they were uppers or downers has got to be making it up. If you have ever experienced true clinical level depression and then had the gift of taking this medication and for the first time really having a life like everybody else, you would never ever abuse it. It is so precious to feel normal for the first time. I will take this medication for the rest of my life. This must be how it is for people who take insulin. It's about getting your personal body chemistry righted.

Zoloft review by 19 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depresson/Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken once a day for the period of 6 years
Other conditions:   Hyperthyroidism, insomnia
Other drugs taken:   Cymbalta, Ativan, Synthroid, Ambien

Benefits:   It works very well for anxiety. As for depression, it works but when I get into an episode of MAJOR depression, it seems to be somewhat ineffective at those times.
Side effects:   Dry mouth
Comments:   When one of my past psychiatrists tried to get me off of Zoloft, I was okay for a while, but then after a month or so I developed considerable anxiety and depression and had to get back on Zoloft for that to subside. In other words... Zoloft is highly addictive when you have considerable anxiety/depression.

Zoloft review by 38 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken daily for the period of 10 years (ongoing)

Benefits:   Depression eased, and was able to continue with daily life. Additionally, regular headaches eased and eventually disappeared.
Side effects:   Weakened libedo. Other than that, no other side effects are experienced.
Comments:   100mg dose daily was prescribed in 1998. Symptoms presented were lack of enjoyment, repetitive negative thoughts, Uncontrollable outbursts of crying. Chronic headaches / fog.

Zoloft review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression/Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   25MG up to 100MG/day taken once daily for the period of 4 months
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   Trazodone, klonopin

Benefits:   at initial dose of 25MG felt effects very quickly. Titrated up to 100MG/day and slowly noticed it losing its "punch". Initially felt much better - motivation increased dramatically. Finally felt normal, and in combination with Trazodone slept very well for the first time in years.
Side effects:   initial upset stomach and felt like a zombie...but it passed within a couple of days with each dose increase. Crazy dreams. MD decision to take off of zoloft was due to hair loss.
Comments:   Always took dose in the AM with food.

Zoloft review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   head injuries
Dosage & duration:   200 mg taken once per day for the period of 12 years
Other conditions:   depression

Benefits:   Due to a car accident I sustained head injuries in addition to physical body injuries (broken bones, etc.) I had terrible mood swings. Through the assistance of a Psycharist subscribing Zoloft, gradually I became calmer. I didn't cry as often for no apparent reason or get irritated at the drop of a hat. My short term memory returned and I became less self conscious.
Side effects:   Sometimes I experienced a slight ticking in my head as if I had something in my brain clicking all the time. If I do not take the Zoloft when I get up (later in the day) I get headachs. No other side effects.
Comments:   Initial dosage was 50 mg gradually over two year my span dosage increased to 200 mg. I still am taking Zoloft. I am somewhat fraid my symptoms will resurface. I am also concerned about any withdrawals or headachs.

Zoloft review by 17 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Severe Clinical Depression
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken once daily for the period of Almost a year.
Other conditions:   Sleep problems, severe social anxiety.
Other drugs taken:   Trazodone

Benefits:   I am DEFINITELY more able to manage my emotions and feelings. I can speak on the telephone to people, be in person around people I've never met, and function in society in general. This doesn't sound like a big feat, but I had crippling anxiety and it's a giant step for me.
Side effects:   The first week of my treatment, I had horrible leg cramps and nausea. I actually had to hold a vomit bag while I sat on the couch, and car rides were pretty impossible from motion sickness. But that passed pretty quickly.
Comments:   I began on 50mg, after growing absolutely sick of feeling terrible all the time. I went on this for about six months, with little difference in my moods. After a suicide attempt (overdose on Trazodone; I no longer take this medication), I was put into a psychiatric ward for a week and my dosage was doubled from 50mg to 100mg, which was one of the best things to ever happen to me. I am now very stable after a year on the 100mg and couldn't be happier.

Zoloft review by 27 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Traumatic Brain Injury
Dosage & duration:   50/100mg taken daily for the period of 3years
Other conditions:   Bouts of Depression
Other drugs taken:   Alcohol

Benefits:   Zoloft made me feel considerably better, which is to say it decreased the severity and frequency of my "why me" or "I suck" bouts, but the underlying facts were still the same.
Side effects:   There was a definite decrease in sexual desire and performance, but it is hard to say if the zoloft is to be blamed for everything.
Comments:   I was put on zoloft while still in the hospital having suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury. I was just taking whichever pills the doctors set out for me, and when i left the hospital i just continued taking zoloft, because i knew i was going to be depressed. I continued taking it for about a year and a half after leaving the hospital but eventually wanted to try living with a clear mind. When I stopped the dosage gradually (as one is well advised) I went on living ok, but was still depressed. I was looking for something to take my mind off the recovery, so of course i dabbled in alcohol and the occasional marijuana use, but I eventually went on to realize that i didn't need any drugs at all. There is something to be said for a natural high, but i decided to put myself back on the lowest dose of zoloft in hopes of clearing my mind so that i could go back to school without the depression hampering my focus.

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   25mg daily 1st week then 50 mg daily taken once daily for the period of three months
Other conditions:   Asthma
Other drugs taken:   Proventil Inhaler & Asthmacort Inhaler

Benefits:   Our home was destroyed in the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. Before the earthquake, I was already experiencing depressive symptoms but was reluctant to take medication for it. After the earthquake, my doctor recommended I give the antidepressants a try for a few months coupled with therapy to get me back on track. About two weeks later, I found myself feeling good again, (in spite of my therapist telling me how screwed up my family was) driving down the freeway, singing at the top of my lungs and playing air drums on the steering wheel of my car. The "Old me" was back! Thanks to the medication, I was able to re-organize my life and focus on moving ahead instead of being stuck knowing what things needed to be done but not having the drive or motivation to do them.
Side effects:   The sexual side effects ultimately led me stop taking the Zoloft. My husband and I found it very frustrating that I was unable to reach climax where before, I had been multi-orgasmic. Because our sex life is very important to us, this became an area of contention that I found to be unacceptable. My inability to reach orgasm was demoralizing for my husband feeling he could no longer please me and for me the frustration of it all made sex seem like too much work to bother with. My libido came to a screeching halt. This depressed both of us so I gradually weaned myself off the Zoloft and shortly thereafter, became pregnant with our first child. One other thing about taking the Zoloft was that after the elevated mood from the initial breakthrough of depression wore off; I found myself living life somewhere in the middle. In addition to the lows no longer being depressingly low, the highs were not as uplifting as before. I was, in essence, comfortably numb. Other side effects were dry mouth, nausea, weight gain, and increased irritability. , although the later could have been due to the stress of our temporary living conditions.
Comments:   My primary care physician prescribed counseling and the antidepressant, Zoloft. The plan was to take the medication for three to six months until I felt I was back on track and could maintain a functional lifestyle without it. I started with 25 mg every other day for five days, then 25 mg a day for one week, followed by 50 mg a day every day thereafter. I began therapy with a psychologist once a week where I was diagnosed with PTSD. Strangely enough, I found the counseling to do more harm than good in this case partially because it made me see my childhood for what it really was. I did not find that to be helpful at the time. Had I not been on anti-depressants before I went to counseling, I would have needed it afterward to deal with the emotional blows that I had to face and could no longer ignore that drove me into depression in the first place.

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1 time daily for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   associated with anxiety

Benefits:   becoming a normal functioning individual. it helped with the worry or feelings of anxiety. when diriving not being overwhelmed and felling confident. able to go in stores and be around people. not feeling tired or other types of side effects associated with anxiety drugs. not addictive, unlike other drugs. eventually i was able to stop taking the drug for a full recovery
Side effects:   I had no real side effects unless you consider lack of fear or worry one.
Comments:   taken once daily.

Zoloft review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   IBS, panic attacks, depression
Dosage & duration:   50mg per day taken once a day for the period of 5 months
Other conditions:   Osteopenia (unrelated condition)

Benefits:   Panic attacks and depression completely alleviated; true 'happy pills'. I wish I could keep on taking them indefinitely as I am in a life situation which can't be readily changed in the foreseeable future, where I am unhappy and stressed, which can and does lead to depression and negative, sometimes suicidal, thoughts. I found Sertraline completely ineffective for my IBS.
Side effects:   After taking drug for 4 months I developed (for want of a better description) 'muscle jumps' (more severe than twitches and different from tics) which could occur in any part of my body, causing a literal 'jump' in the affected body part! These only occurred when I lay down - usually when I was in bed, but didn't occur when I was up and about moving around.
Comments:   I gave up taking Sertraline completely on my own volition as the condition was getting worse and although more irritating than serious, it started to interfere with my sleep. The condition took around 2 months to completely disappear.

Zoloft review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression/anxiety
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken once daily for the period of one year

Benefits:   Zoloft allowed me to continue my daily activities in a stressful job without feeling depressed or anxious. I was more motivated to get out of bed and was more outgoing and energetic on the job.
Side effects:   I was not affected by any side effects while taking Zoloft. When I felt able to encounter my day without the antidepressant, I weaned myself off of the drug with a decreasing dosage and had no side effects.
Comments:   I had been on antidepressants on and off for the past 10 years and my primary care provider was willing to prescribe the medication based upon my request and description of my symptoms.

Dosage & duration:   75 mg taken once a day for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   advair, alphagam, flonase, claritin

Benefits:   I have seen a great improvement since taking Zoloft. I am a classic type A person and tend toward anxiety when I have alot going on in my personal and professional life. I asked my physician about Zoloft when my second child was 2 years old and I was under alot of stress at work. I sleep much better, am more even tempered, and more optimistic when taking Zoloft. Another benefit, probably due to my anxiety being under control, is that I think more clearly. I don't become distracted as easily and find it easier to stay focused on projects at work.
Side effects:   I need to take my dose with breakfast. If not, I feel nauseous. This hasn't been a huge issue, since I eat breakfast regularly. However, if I take a pill and eat immediately, I feel sick to my stomach. The only other issue I have had is that I feel dizzy if I miss a dose. I am good at remembering to take my morning dose, so this does not happen often. Also, I did go off Zoloft a couple of years ago because I wanted to reduce the number of drugs I was taking. Although I gradually reduced my dosage, I had a difficult time when I finally went completely off. I felt dizzy and suffered a couple of bouts of vertigo.
Comments:   I take 75 mg in the morning. Zoloft was prescribed to me by a family practice physician when I was 41 years old. The first 18 months that I took Zoloft, my dosage was 100 mg. I took a break for about 2 years and asked my physician abbout going back on Zoloft last year, when I turned 45. I was experiencing mood swings right before my period and, in doing research on the internet, learned that this could be due to my age. One recommendation was treating the symptoms with zoloft or another prescription drug. My physcian started me on 50 mg, and I went up to 75 mg after a few months of taking Zoloft.

Condition / reason:   PMD
Dosage & duration:   50mg taken once daily for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   I was having difficulty controlling my temper, having loss of motivation, anxiety. This helped to take the edge off so that I could function without the extreme mood swings.
Side effects:   I didn't notice any side effects except that it seemed to mess with weight loss. Going off the medication for the periods indicated by my dr seemed to help.
Comments:   I was advised to take the medication daily for the week leading to my period starting. My dr said that through trial and error I would find the best treatment plan. Turns out I usually take it everyday except for the first day of my period and 3 - 5 days after that. I was also advised to take 20 minute daily walk in the sun.

Zoloft review by 37 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   25-50mg taken daily for the period of 4 months
Other conditions:   low progesterone levels
Other drugs taken:   Prometrium

Benefits:   Leveled out my affect, helped me sleep and wake up more refreshed, minimized angry or generally emotional outbursts with my children and husband.
Side effects:   Nausea, dry mouth, decrease in sexual desire and ability to achieve orgasm.
Comments:   Began with 25mg for 2 weeks and increased to 50mg maintenance that I am currently taking.

Zoloft review by 36 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   50mg taken od for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   Mood swings, and irritability
Other drugs taken:   Topiramite

Benefits:   I immediately felt my mood swings and irritability disappear and I became a nicer person again overnight. My partner noticed it immediately and I noitced it in myself. I havn't cried at all and although I don't feel depressed it's more that all my feelings have been numbed! I feel that nothing affects me and that I am better able to cope day to day.
Side effects:   The main effects have been the chronic fatigue. Although I sleep fantastically each night I wake exhausted and spend the rest of the day feeling like I have a hang over. I have no energy all day and find that I don't want to do anything all day although I do wonder whether that is through no energy or motivation! Feeling so fatigued also makes you so low and depressed so thats no help in the long run.Also my libido completely disappeared especially in the early days although it is not fantastic now.
Comments:   Although this has been by far the best treatment drug I have tried in terms of treating my depression and mood swings and irritability at the moment I have chosen to withdraw from the drug due to the chronic fatigue which was bringing me down and beginning to make me low in another way. I have been told by the professionals that I have a chemical inbalance and that I have to take the anti-depressants like a diabetic has to take their insulin but for the moment I have chosen to have a moment drug free to find out what sort of person I am! I suspect I will last only a few weeks. Of of all the drugs I have tried this has been by far been the most successful for me in treating the symptoms.

Zoloft review by 20 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   50mg taken 1 time daily for the period of Currently

Benefits:   After about two weeks of being on the medicine, I started to feel a little better but I think it takes awhile for it to really kick in. The medicine has helped me by the following: Lessened depression, better overall mood, slightly less irritable and sensitive, better able to function daily
Side effects:   occasional headaches and nausea,occasional ticking noise in the back of my head, and decreased sex drive,
Comments:   I was diagnosed with severe depression after attempted suicide.

Zoloft review by 20 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken 1/2 pill every night for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   Migraines
Other drugs taken:   Hydrocodine

Benefits:   Highly motivated vs my previous state of, "why do I get up in the morning"? Nothing upset me- even something that would put down a generally happy person.
Side effects:   Harder to climax, although I didn't necessarily lose interest in sex drive.
Comments:   Went off of it once I felt better- I have been off of it for about 6 months and feel good still.

Zoloft review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   unsure - mild dose 1 tablet daily taken once a day for the period of six months
Other conditions:   nil
Other drugs taken:   nil

Benefits:   i believe the medication did assist with depression. By the end of the six month most symptons of depression were gone
Side effects:   when I was coming off the medication it was recommeded to do slowly by reducing the medication dosage gradually which i did. Side effects while doing this were diziness almost constantly
Comments:   not sure what you are wanting, but one pill everyday

Zoloft review by 29 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Panic Attacks
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken 1 x day for the period of 9 years
Other conditions:   Asthma
Other drugs taken:   Proventil, Advair

Benefits:   I have debilitating panic attacks. After I was on Zoloft for a couple of weeks I noticed a substantial difference. I no longer felt the "looming dread" that comes with a panic attack and I just felt calmer and more in control than before. I was finally able to get my life back and felt more at ease.
Side effects:   I went off of Zoloft on my own in October of 2008. I went down gradually from 50mg to 25 for about a week and then went off completely. The two weeks afterward were a bit crazy. The panic attacks didn't come back but I'd get all emotional at the slightest upset and feel like crying for no reason (which isn't me at all). I also had the strangest, most vivid dreams. I recently went back on the drug after the panic attacks came back and apart from slight dizzyness and diarrhea I'm starting to feel more in control again and less panicky.
Comments:   My family doctor prescribed it for panic attacks. I saw a psychiatrist years ago but it really didn't do much apart from giving me tips on what to do constructively if I have a panic attack. Which of course didn't help because when you're paralyzed with fear you can't do much of ANYTHING constructive with your time.

Zoloft review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   50mg taken daily for the period of 2years
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   i had a calmer outlook in general and was able to cope with stressful situations better. Also little things that use to stress me out i was able to deal with.
Side effects:   When i started the medication i experienced dry mouth and dizziness although these abated over time. When i began trying to stop the medication i experienced soem withdrawl effects, such as dizziness and nausea.
Comments:   One dose daily of zoloft 50mg at night to prevent drowsiness during the day

Zoloft review by 35 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   anxeity
Dosage & duration:   150mg taken daily for the period of I still take it, like for 10 years now
Other conditions:   depression
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   I would have wondering thoughts, like way to often, just thinking about the best ways to improve my lot in life, until it started to consume me to much. So I sought help, the main problem was sleeping, my thoughts would race so hard, that I could not sleep, this drug put my thoughts in check, allowing me to sleep soundly.
Side effects:   Side effects are not a big deal.. I mean mainly it caused me to take longer ejaculating more then anything, so thatís really the only side effect I had, so for me it wasnít that big of a deal, since I can go without out sex for like the longest, didnít bother me at all. But even so after your body becomes adjusted to Zoloft, that side effects eventually just leaves.
Comments:   Well I went to see a doctor and talked about my situation, and for the first three visit, she just talked to me, then after the 3rd visit, she decided it would be a good idea to put me on Zoloft. I was hesitant at first, but after two more visits, I decided to give it a shot, and wow it did the trick for me, my depression immediately left, and I am able to function a lot better then I was prior to the meds. so I have really know complaints about zoloft.

Zoloft review by 38 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   50mg/day taken 1/day for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   feeling really relieved from the effects of usual depression, that i had for more than 10 years : feeling very low, no energy, daily crying, fear from future, unhappiness and underestimation of myself, regular temptation of suicide, thought i never tried to kill myself, the idea was becoming an obsession. And this terrible feeling of pretending all the time, at work, with friends, that i was ok, had disappeared. Before getting pregnant, i was a bit afraid that i have to stop the medication by my doctor told me to go on, that there was no known side effect with pregnancy, so i went on. My son is now 14 months old and is a wonderful healthy little boy, with a happy mother !
Side effects:   none
Comments:   one pill, 50mg/day, for 6 months at first, then as a regular treatment.

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   ranged between 50mg and 100mg taken every day for the period of 10 yrs
Other conditions:   some mild depression very mild
Other drugs taken:   homeopathic st. johns wort

Benefits:   I found the treatment was very helpful exspecially around my menstral cycle. I use to feel like I could crawl out of my skin two weeks before my period after starting zoloft I notice a considerable difference.I also felt anxious and restless which has subsided with the use of the zoloft.
Side effects:   I did not seem to be subjected to any side effect. I was concerned about weight gain, fatigue and uncontrolled hunger but I did not have any of these side effects.
Comments:   First you must be diagnosed with either anxiety or mild to moderate depression. You begin at a lower does to see how you manage with that then eventually if need be your perscriber can increase the dose. Their is no special time of the day to take it and you do not have to eat with it. The most important thing is it does not alter how you feel through out the day you do not get a sensation of being high or druged. There is no lasting effect, if you stop the drug it is out of your system the next day.

Zoloft review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   nerves, depression
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken once a day at bedtime for the period of 1 year
Other drugs taken:   asprin

Benefits:   I felt calmer and my overall outlook was better. It was subtle...still had some nerve problems and anxiety, but my guess is thats because it does not erase problems...but you can tolerate them better over the long haul.
Side effects:   none that I noticed.
Comments:   I had alot of grief and was nervous at work, so my MD gave me this medicine to help with those problems. It did help a bit with the physical nerve problem...less jittery and all that...but it didnt stop it completely. I was able to function and not feel light headed or fuzzy...which I did not want. So that was a plus...I stayed on it for aprox 1 year...then lost my healthcare insurance so I no longer take it.

Zoloft review by 66 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken one a day for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   resolved depression within one week. I was told it did not work that fast, but I know it did. It is
Side effects:   None. I have not had any effects from the drug other than stopping the depression.
Comments:   I take it most days. At times I have stopped taking it for 30-50 days and the depression returns. I believe it is good to occasionally stop the medicine to be sure it is still needed.

Zoloft review by 41 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   100mg taken 2xs a day for the period of ongoing
Other conditions:   anxiety depression
Other drugs taken:   trazadone.. adderall

Benefits:   I have tried so many anti depressants and always go back to zoloft.. works the best and is least expensive.. $10 a month compared to cymbalta for $400 a month.. It really works for me well.
Side effects:   a little dizzy at first but thats it.. only a few days If you miss it for a few days you will have some withdrawls.. light headedness and jittery
Comments:   Just makes you feel better... see pych once a month then see a therapist as often as needed.. its always best to combine the two