Zantac (Ranitidine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Zantac (Ranitidine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 8 ratings/reviews, Zantac has an overall score of 7.50. The effectiveness score is 7.75 and the side effect score is 9. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Zantac review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hives
Dosage & duration:   don't remember (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   hay fever

Benefits:   Extreme urticaria (hives) on forearms and mild (hives) on face and legs were near completely cured with the Zantac.
Side effects:   No side effects that I remember
Comments:   I had horrible rashes on my forearms, the right one especially, that were extremely itchy. I tried topical anti-itch creams and put ice on it to soothe the itching but nothing relieved my symptoms more than slightly. I thought it would eventually go away by itself. After suffering for 4 or 5 weeks I went to my doctor. He took 1 look at my arms and said I had hives. Probably due to seasonal allergies. He wrote a prescription for Zantac and sent me on my way. Within the 1st day of taking the medication my hives were less than half than they'd been. Within a week they were nearly gone.

Zantac review by 46 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   excess acidity
Dosage & duration:   2 tabs per day taken twice per day for the period of 2 weeks

Benefits:   relief from burning associated with reflux
Side effects:   slight nausea during the first 24 hours.
Comments:   Part of my treatment plan was to undergo an endoscopy to find out what the problem was initially. The doctor who performed the endoscopy prescribed the Zantac. In the first 24 hour period I felt no differently, but the second day I started to feel alot better. At the end of the two weeks period of taking 2x tabs per day I felt completely back to normal. I ceased taking the Zantac after my follow up visit with the doctor but was advised to keep some handy for future use.

Zantac review by 74 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   150mg taken twice daily for the period of 3 years/ ongoing
Other conditions:   hypertension
Other drugs taken:   benazepril

Benefits:   The ranitidine was very effective in releaving my symptoms of acid reflux. After several months of treatment my stomach, which previously felt nauseated on a daily basis, felt much better and very rarely caused me discomfort.
Side effects:   I didnt seem to have any negative side effects.
Comments:   I am not sure if it is related to the ranitidine but since I began using it I have not contracted any viruses. In the past I would get 2 or 3 viruses every year.

Zantac review by 52 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   acid reflux
Dosage & duration:   150mg twice a day taken daily for the period of nearly 4year
Other drugs taken:   cimetidine

Benefits:   nearly instant pain relief , extremely efficace
Side effects:   none
Comments:   I have been taking cimetidine and medecines of the same family with no much improvement of my acid reflux and with a lot of side effects for about 2y then I tried Zantac and It feel like a miracle drug my acid reflux was under control and the side effects of cimetidine disappeared totally in about 3 months.no side effect with Zantac. Zantac the brand medecine is for me more efficace then the generic ranitidine but I am not sure of the reason

Zantac review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Reflux, Gastritis
Dosage & duration:   300 mg taken 1 per day for the period of 1 day
Other conditions:   DVT, asthma, allergies, depression
Other drugs taken:   coumadin, advair, protonix,levothroid, wellbutrin, allegra

Benefits:   none
Side effects:   lump in throat, trouble breathing, tiredness, muscle pain
Comments:   Prescribed 300 mg, once a day at bedtime for severe reflux and gastritis. Took one pill and stared to have trouble breathing. Took Albuterol and in a couple of hours breathing returned to normal. Called doctor next morning and was told to discontinue use. Did not work to control reflux. Started on Pepcid the next day which along with Tums has made reflux managable.

Zantac review by 40 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   ulcer
Dosage & duration:   150 x twice a day (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of five years

Benefits:   the benifits of the treatment were that it stopped the pain. i could sleep at night. i could eat food that i could not eat before. because i was not in consent pain i could get on with my life
Side effects:   there were not any treatment side affects except that you had to take two tablets twice a day for the rest of your life. this was not a cure. I THEN FOUND OUT THAT THER WAS AN AUSTRAILAN DOCTER WHO FOUND THAT IN SOME CASES ULCERS WERE ONLY A BACTERIA AND A SIMPLE TEST WOULD FIND THAT OUT AND IF THAT WAS THE CASE A SHORT COUSE OF ANTIBOTICS AND AN ANTI ACID FOR THE SAME PERIOD OF TIME WHISLT YOU WERE TALIKG THE COURSE OF ANTIBOTICS, WOULD GET RID OF THE PROBLEM, WHICH IN MY CASE IT DID. NOW I DONT HAVE TO TAKE DRUGS EVERY DAY!
Comments:   tablet twice a day

Zantac review by 40 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   30 mg taken once/day for the period of 5 days

Benefits:   The Ranitidine can be taken at any, time throught out the day, with or without food, but should be taken with lots of water. can try 30 mag first then 60 mg etc. It can be taken up to 4 times per day.
Side effects:   no
Comments:   may have to repeat fairly often, how ever if you have serious acid problem, you may have to take Nexium for up to 2 months. The best is to check if you have H.pylori using a breath test, if you have HP then you have to take A HP pack or the cheaper alternative of nexium or pepacid + an antibiotic like Ammoxilin, the Hp pack is way overprice.

Zantac review by 39 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Heratburn
Dosage & duration:   1 daily (dosage frequency: 1 daily) for the period of 1 week
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   Reduce a lot the heartburn feeling, and after a week treatment no more heartburn where visible. Every other meal i was taken produced a lot of acid juices in my stomach, after that treatment this never happen.
Side effects:   There was no side effects to this treatment.
Comments:   One pill every morning after breakfast for a week only.