Xenical (Orlistat) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Xenical (Orlistat) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 11 ratings/reviews, Xenical has an overall score of 6.91. The effectiveness score is 6.73 and the side effect score is 7.27. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Condition / reason:   Overweight
Dosage & duration:   120mg taken twice daily for the period of 1 year
Other drugs taken:   birth control (yasmin)

Benefits:   Lost 10 pounds.
Side effects:   Oily stools, gas, bloating. Learned to avoid greasy foods. I experienced no other side effects.
Comments:   I took a 120mg pill after any meal with fat (2-3 times daily). It seemed like over time, since my body was aborbing less calories i started to crave less. The only problem was that without modifying my diet, the weight came back after i quit taking the drug. It is also expensive, and although it does work I am not sure it is worth the high price.

Condition / reason:   Weight Loss
Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken 2 times a day for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   The treatment benefits was a minimal weight loss, but not nearly as much as I expected.
Side effects:   I mainly experienced the following side effects: diarrhea, stomach cramps, indigestion, flatulence, oily stool, defecation urgency.
Comments:   I think is a good medication if you follow a good planned diet, but don't expect to loose too much weight if you only take the pill and don't cut your calories or exercise more often.

Xenical review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   weight loss
Dosage & duration:   120mg taken once a day for the period of when needed

Benefits:   Through use of the drug and the side effects its produced, I was made much more aware of the level of fat I was consuming with my meals and took measures to reduce the intake
Side effects:   Oil in stool
Comments:   I was to take one dose and a full glass of water at each of three meals per day. I came to find out that taking the drug once a day (with lunch) was effective enough to receive the benefits. It was rare that I took it twice a day and never three times a day.

Xenical review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   obesity
Dosage & duration:   120mg with every meal containing fats taken 2-3 times a day for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   n/a

Benefits:   Lost 8 kg during 6 months, which would have been more if eating healthier and exercising.
Side effects:   Strong and first difficult to control bowel movements
Comments:   This drug makes your body to reject about 30% of fats that you intake with your meals. But you still get the rest of it. What happens with 30% - it comes out and sometimes it is quite an embarrassing experience. Got to control it later, mainly by cutting off food that was reach on fats. Maybe if cut fats alltogether, wouldnt have needed Xenical.

Xenical review by 30 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   120mg taken twicwe a day for the period of five weeks
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   birth control/ terbisil

Benefits:   I really didnt lose any weight even though I cut my caloric intake. I stopped snacking and in general ate less and went for walks when possible
Side effects:   I had only mild side effects such as oily stools and I couldnt hold it I just had to go when I felt like it
Comments:   I took the pills twice a day as I tried to have only two meals per day

Condition / reason:   over weight
Dosage & duration:   120mg taken 2/3 times a day for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   inderal and wellbutrin

Benefits:   i have been on xenical for a little over 2 weeks and i lost 2 lbs and gained it back,i do not have oily stools infact i have a hard time going to the bathroom now.the only benefit i can see so far with xenical for me is i try to watch what i eat.
Side effects:   i dont have any other then now i am constipated
Comments:   n/a

Condition / reason:   OVER WEIGHT
Dosage & duration:   90 mg taken once a day for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   I now lost 6 kg during 3 months and I can now wear my favorite dress without any hassles.
Side effects:   I always experiencing oily bowel movement. I starved too much.
Comments:   For the last 3 months that I intake Xenical, I feel the loose of my body, Even though I had this kind of side effects but I have to sacrifice just for my own sake. It's worth it! I love my body now! thanks to Xenical.

Xenical review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Obesity
Dosage & duration:   120 mg taken 3 times daily, 1 at each meal for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   High Cholesterol
Other drugs taken:   None.

Benefits:   Cholesterol went from 265 to 199. Lost 32 lbs. in 3 months.
Side effects:   One incident of an oily stool.
Comments:   I took part in a 3-month Obesity/Binge Eating study back in 2004 which included the use of a Placebo or Orlistat (Xenical) conducted by a local Hospital/Medical Center. I would meet with the doctor's weekly and was put on a low-fat diet and asked to do moderate exercise of 30-40 minutes 3 days a week during this study. At the time I was Age 39, 5 ft 7 and 200 lbs. and a cholesterol level of 265 (you had to have a BMI of 30 percent in order to participate in study, and I just made it per the weight and height chart). Half of the study participants were put on a placebo pill and half were put on Orlistat (Xenical). They did not tell the participants during the study if they had the placebo or if they had the Orlistat. At the end of the 3 month study, I lost 32 lbs. (down to 168 lbs.) and my cholesterol went from 265 to 199. I was told at that time I was taking Orlistat. The participants who took Orlistat lost more weight than the ones who took placebo and did the low-fat diet. I can only remember once having what may have been an oily stool. I never had cramps, diarrhea or any type of bowel accidents. It is now 2010, and I have put on 20 lbs. since. I am considering trying to get my family doctor to prescribe Orlistat. I have not heard anything negative about the medication, except for the side effects of oily stools, etc. I believe the people who have experienced the bad side effects are people who are continuing to eat fatty foods (such as pizza, cheeseburgers, etc.) and continue to take the Orlistat. If you follow the directions, you are to eat low-fat and also take a multi-vitamin. I look forward to trying out the Orlistat again. :)

Condition / reason:   OVER WEIGHT
Dosage & duration:   90 mg taken once a day for the period of 6 months

Side effects:   I always experiencing oily bowel movement. I starved too much.

Condition / reason:   contraception
Dosage & duration:   1 tablet taken daily for the period of about a year

Benefits:   contraception
Side effects:   For some reason i felt very emotional, much more than before going on the pill. It did not come across as a negative side effect, but I would cry on seeing a scenic landscape, not to mention more charged situation. Similar side effects were described by my friend who also took marvelon. Moreover, I experienced enhanced libido but, perhaps, it was an effect of reduced worrying over getting pregnant.
Comments:   I took it daily with with 7-day break each month, during which a period was induced.

Xenical review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   obesity
Dosage & duration:   120mg taken 2-3 times a day for the period of 1 month and counting
Other conditions:   depression, anxiety
Other drugs taken:   inderal, venflafaxine

Benefits:   weight loss, better awareness of how much fat is in foods.
Side effects:   Oily stools, worse if you eat too much fat, I try to stick to foods that are 5% of less.
Comments:   After loosing 6lbs the first week I am loosing 2-3 lbs a week now, the drug works by blocking 30% of your fat intake, this 30% passes through you. It works well and really makes you think about what you eat.