Xanax (Alprazolam) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Xanax (Alprazolam) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 31 ratings/reviews, Xanax has an overall score of 8.19. The effectiveness score is 9.29 and the side effect score is 8.32. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Xanax review by 36 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety related to severe PMS
Dosage & duration:   .5 mg taken prn, usually 2x/day for 3 to 4 days/mont for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   the treatment drastically reduced my anxiety and feelings of stress and panic during my PMS week.
Side effects:   no side effects experienced.
Comments:   i was experiencing severe PMS symptoms - upon further testing, it was found that i had an ovarian cyst and used this treatment for anxiety symptoms until my surgery.

Xanax review by 61 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   0.25 mg. taken every 4-6 hours for the period of approx. 10 days

Benefits:   Xanax took the edge off of the anxiety without causing drowsiness or interfering with thought process. The anxiety was due to court testimony and memory recall of 5 years prior. Calendar dates were going to be of importance.
Side effects:   There were none whatsoever except the anxiety returned when the drug wore off and when I was anxious my memory recall was negatively affected.
Comments:   Xanax was prescribed for me because I was a plaintiff in litigation and my accurate testimony was imperative, especially memory recall of specific dates 5 years prior to my testimony. The defense attorney was a rude and nasty old man and was deliberately trying to confuse me to the point of tears. My attorney had warned me beforehand about the defense attorney's tactics so I asked my doctor for a short term tranquilizer. During recesses in my testimony (2 days) I would take a Xanax to keep me focused. It worked like a charm and I won the case. It just seemed to keep me sharp, rather than sedated.

Xanax review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   To help me sleep after having a rapid heartbeat ep
Dosage & duration:   I do not recall (dosage frequency: once or twice a day in the afternoon/eve) for the period of 5 dyas
Other conditions:   anxiety due to rapid heartbeat episode

Benefits:   The drug helped relieve the anxiety from worrying about the sudden return of the rapid heartbeat episode that happened at work without warning and under no stress. I was worrying that it would occur again at night while alone or sleeping.
Side effects:   I noticed that after taking the drug for several days I became very irritable and short tempered. The side effects stopped when I stopped taking the drug. I have never taken it since. I stopped taking the drug after recalling a collegue of mine taking the drug after the death of her mother. Her mood and personality changed to anger and paranoia as she was taking it for a long time.
Comments:   After suffering an exreme onset of a rapid heartbeat at work (it started while I was laughing, believe it or not) I saw a cardiologist who determined that there was nothing physically wrong with me, however I started having problems relaxing and sleeping at night for fear the condition would suddenly return without warning while alone or sleeping (I thought it might lead to a heartattack!). The doctor gave me a prescription for Zanax which helped, but caused the undesireable side effect. The condition never occured again.

Xanax review by 21 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   .5 mg twice daily taken twice daily for the period of months
Other drugs taken:   klonopin

Benefits:   effective in reducing anxiety
Side effects:   tiredness and little half-life causing quick mood shifts... considered a time release but did not want to be drowsy all the time from the effects of the drug
Comments:   twice daily.? also suggested to take as needed, but i noticed a huge shift in tolerance quite quickly and more and more would be needed to maintain effects...

Xanax review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   panic attacks
Dosage & duration:   .5 mg. taken as needed for the period of as needed
Other conditions:   anxiety in crowds

Benefits:   within 10 minutes the drug began to calm down the situation and I was able to function normally again. My racing heart rate was decreased, the feeling of panic subsided and the numbness in my arms and legs went away. I was able to eat again, and go about my daily routine.
Side effects:   The only real side effect was that depending on the severity of the attack and the amount I took, as sometimes I cut the pill in half, or if the case was extremely severe, I could take up to 1 mg. was that I got very sleepy. In a lower dose that was not the case but in the higher dosage it did occur.
Comments:   The treatment details were to take only as needed and it could be taken up to 3X per day, but usually one pill did the trick. I didn't have a set protocol for taking the medication because the attacks were so random, they might not occur for months at a time, or they could happen two days in a row. So, I was told to take it only as needed. I still have a number of pills left from my RX of 30 last year.

Xanax review by 17 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   .25 (dosage frequency: when needed) for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   anti-depressant

Benefits:   helped with anxiety.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   After graduating from high school,best friend died in a car wreck. It was an extremely hard time. While going to therapy, was prescribed zanax for anxiety. I only took it when needed and did feel that it helped. I feel that this type of medication is beneficial when it is taken properly and not abused.

Xanax review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   1mg taken a couple of times a month for the period of over the course of 2 years

Benefits:   I was experiencing anxiety and would take a quarter of a pill to take the edge off. Within 20-30 minutes the anxiety would decrease a lot. Mostly I wouldn't even have a full pill in a day.
Side effects:   If I took the recommended dose (half to a full pill) I would get very tired. Once I tested different dosages and decreased it to a quarter, I cannot remember any side effects.
Comments:   The way it was prescribed I was to take up to one pill and I could take it every 4 hours. That dosage was way to high for me so I decreased it to a quarter of a pill and only took it when I had extreme anxiety. One bottle of 30 lasted me two years. I almost never go to the doctor and I never really take drugs unless it is absolutely necessary. I wanted to do your survey so I could get the free report on making home creams, but I also really like what you are doing!

Xanax review by 65 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Difficulty sleeping
Dosage & duration:   0.5 mg HS taken once a day for the period of one year
Other conditions:   Insulin resistance, cholesterol
Other drugs taken:   metformin 250 mg OD Liptor 10mg every other day

Benefits:   All three medication, Alprazolam, Lipitor and Metformin were effective in treating insomnia, high cholesterol and insulin resistance. Patient is evaluated every 3 months.
Side effects:   Limited, some muscle pain when taking the Lipitor every day, and maybe increased forgetfulness with the Xanax.
Comments:   N/A this is being written by a patient, not a physician.

Xanax review by 19 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   1 tablet by mouth once daily taken before stressful situations for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   eating disorder

Benefits:   I was able to relax more than usual, and my mind did not feel like a race car circling a track at 150 miles per hour. It became easier to focus on the task at hand without worrying about what was on my to-do list and, due to an eating disorder, how much I had eaten or was going to eat that day.
Side effects:   I found it slightly more difficult to drive while under the influence of the drug, and oftentimes I caught myself spacing out. Sun exposure seemed to strengthen the drug's effect, and being in the sun made me lethargic and sometimes even dizzy. Overall, I always felt as though I was on an irregular level of consciousness, and not in the same mental place as surrounding people not on the drug.
Comments:   I was told to take one or 1/2 tablet approximately 30 minutes before undergoing an event that I predicted would inflict anxiety. My stress was effectively reduced during family meals and going out to restaurants. However, I took 1/2 tablet before receiving a vaccination shot and, although I did not pass out as usual, I still became lightheaded and dizzy as a result of the needle. Perhaps a whole tablet would have eliminated these effects. In the end, I couldn't get used to feeling like I was on drugs while trying to work, drive, etc. so I decided to not refill my prescription and began seeing my therapist more often instead.

Xanax review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Panic disorder
Dosage & duration:   .5 mg taken i started at 3x per day then 1xper day for the period of 19 years
Other conditions:   Tachycardia
Other drugs taken:   Inderal, Pamelor, Lanoxin

Benefits:   It help me get through the day with out a fast heartbeat. It calmed my nerves.
Side effects:   I was very drowsy during the first few weeks. But that went away after a while.
Comments:   I started taking Xanax in 1984 at the age of 33. I have a Mitral Valve Prolapse. I am one of the few people who has problems with it. Right before I started taking xanax, I was in and out of the emergency room with heartbeats up to 200 beats per minute. My heart doctor put me on Lanoxin and inderal to control heartbeat, and gave me Lorazopam for nerves. The Lorazopam did not do me any good. I was still having fast heartbeat attacks. He then referred me to a psychiatrist who put me on Xanax. My panic attacks stopped for the most part. I started out on .5 mg 3 times per day, and dropped down to .5 mg 1 time per day a few years later, as I was able to cope better with less. Today, I no longer take any medications at all. I withdrew from Xanax in 2003. I am doing fine. I have gone to a natural approach.

Dosage & duration:   1 mg taken 1 per day for the period of 1 month
Other conditions:   insomia
Other drugs taken:   Lexpro

Benefits:   Reduced panic attacks, in combination with Lexpro. Particularly effective when taken an hour before panic inducing situations, such as flying.
Side effects:   Sleepiness; feeling "out of it" or not quite connected. It is not possible to work or drive when on the medication. Must be taken at night or when you don't need to perform (such as on long flights).
Comments:   Take Xanax an hour before an anxiety inducing situation, or at night to reduce panic/anxiety attacks until the Lexpro kicked in (about a month). After taking Lexpro for several weeks, the Xanax was no longer necessary.

Xanax review by 60 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   1 mg taken every 8 hours for the period of 5 days
Other conditions:   Post Laser Surgery

Benefits:   First days after surgery were a blur. There was considerable swelling post surgery, and the drug helped me to ignore the way I looked.
Side effects:   I was awake but sort of in a daze. I had plans to do research and reading during my recuperation, but I don't remember doing much of anything for about 5 days.
Comments:   Post laser surgery. I had Fraxel Re:pair laser done. I quit the drug as soon as somebody told me I looked like a Zombie.

Xanax review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   sleeping aid
Dosage & duration:   2 mg taken once a day for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   dependency, unable to sleep without it
Other drugs taken:   adderall

Benefits:   Was able to get to sleep and stay asleep for a full eight hours. Could go to sleep within an hour of taking the drug and was able to still wake up the next day. I take one benadryl with the xanax to help get the sleep cycle started.
Side effects:   dependency. dependency. dependency. Cannot sleep without it. My mind will stay awake forever and I am unable to sleep a minute. I am groggy if I do not give myself at least eight hours to sleep after I take it. I feel like I need to up my dose after some time to get myself to sleep.
Comments:   I take xanax because I work on a morning show so I must sleep when it is still light outside. Sleeping pills don't seem to work.. Xanaz seems to do the trick. It calms my mind so I can get to bed and not think about all the things in my life.

Xanax review by 43 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   .5 (dosage frequency: everday) for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   It definitely reducded the anxiety that I had, it also helped with the occaisonal insomnia that I was having. It had a very good effect.
Side effects:   the only side effect that i had was that on occaison it made me groggy the next day but not all the time.
Comments:   i was prescribed 1 .5mg tablet per day.

Xanax review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   panic attacks
Dosage & duration:   .25mg taken once a day prn for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   I had severe anxiety attacks and once they would start it was very difficult to decrease their intensity. My heart beat got as high as 160bpm on two occasions. I found the .25mg Xanax pills to be very strong so I only would take 1/4 of a pill, which was enough to stop the attack or prevent one if I felt one coming on.
Side effects:   The only side effect I experienced with Xanax is sleepiness. I decreased my dose to 1/4 a pill of a .25mg pill. I still got sleepy but not as bad.
Comments:   I took Xanax on a prn basis. Currently I am not taking it at all. I was diagnosed with panic disorder and fortunately was perscribed Xanax. Xanax helped prevent panic attacks and allowed me the opportunity to explore non-medicinal forms of managing the attacks.

Condition / reason:   anxiety attacks
Dosage & duration:   .05 mg taken 1/2 tablet every 8-10 weeks for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   It was calming within a very short time. At the onset of an attack, just having the medicine on hand was calming. It began to work very quickly after taking it.
Side effects:   It made me a little bit too sleepy. It also was relaxing to the point that I felt a little disoriented. It was a great solution as long as I was at home. It would not have been practical to take when working, driving, etc.
Comments:   It was prescribed to be taken on an as needed basis. I would take the tablet at the onset of the attack. The attacks usually occured at night, shortly after I feel asleep.

Xanax review by 57 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   TIA's - anxiety
Dosage & duration:   0.5 (dosage frequency: as needed) for the period of 7 years running
Other conditions:   factor 5 leiden, COPD, Arthritis
Other drugs taken:   Advair, Singulair,Pamelor, Depekote, Comaden, Tylenol, Albuteral

Benefits:   The medicine keeps me calm under all circumstances, and helps me to sleep at night. I used to have panic attacks at times before I began using this medicine. Now the panic attacks are few and far between. Although I do not like to drive while taking the medicine, if I must I can with no problems. In social situations I am much more myself and can relax and have fun. I have had 3 mini-strokes. Since I began treatment with Xanax I have not had a single episode.
Side effects:   I have had no side effects from the use of this medicine. When I first started the medication it would make me sleepy. After time this side effect past and I have no problems now.
Comments:   Upon treatment I found that results were immediate. I have been told that this drug is highly addictive, however that does not concern me as my Neurologist will keep me on this medicine for the remainder of my life.

Xanax review by 18 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Insomnia
Dosage & duration:   6 mg taken when needed for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   I used it for sleep aid as ambien or lunesta never worked for me. I took a half a pill before bed and put me right to sleep. Never had any crazy dreams or sleep-walking episodes. Worked great as a sleep aid.
Side effects:   Sometimes felt a little tired in morning, sometimes groggy. But nothing a latte can't fix.
Comments:   Took it before bed so I could fall asleep. Never woke up in the middle of the night.

Xanax review by 25 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1-2 mg taken 1 a month for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   When I am in highly stressful situations, I start to cry. I took xanax at times when I knew this would happen and it worked perfectly. I did not cry at all, my eyes didn't even water. This has never happened with any other medication.
Side effects:   While the drug did give the desired effect, I was groggy and tired. The worst side effect would be that I had short-term memory loss during when I took it. I would see notes that I took at the time and not remember writing them and had trouble remembering the details of conversations I had at the time.
Comments:   Dr. suggested I take a lower dose to decrease the side effects but when I did that, I still cried during the stressful situations.

Xanax review by 30 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Panic Disorder
Dosage & duration:   .05 mg taken 5 times a day for the period of 3 years and counting
Other conditions:   OCD
Other drugs taken:   Propecia for my hair but have used Zoloft and Paxil

Benefits:   This simply just works fast and without any of the nasty side effects of SSRI medicines. I won't go into a long story of my panic attacks which I sought help for many years after the fact. This just works and it does what it's supposed to without any annoying side effects. When taken daily, it has stopped my panic attacks from starting and thinking patterns that lead to them. I find it can also be used as needed along with the daily treatment.
Side effects:   I really don't have any side effects other than the mild but very tolerable issue of taking it 4-5 times a day which isn't an effect but just the way you need to take this. At first, within the first 1 day then couple of weeks after starting, this medicine is broken down by your body fast and you need to adjust your dose. Once I got past the ups and downs of the first week or two of getting this increased from .25 mg - 3 times per day to what I'm on now things are so stable and just smooth.
Comments:   I first started taking this at 3 times per day with .25 mg pills. I was advised not to take as needed with my panic attacks as that would reinforce the idea of taking a pill when it's needed and not help me work around my anxiety. This is totally true. At first I wished to only take them as needed but with my doctor's advice, he was right. This really does work when you take it daily at 3-5 times per day. This way your body adjusts to what's going on with the panic and makes no association with taking a pill to prevent or stop it, they just don't start in the first place. Yes, I still do have minor attacks and worry episodes here and there but nothing at all like the many years before this. I wish that this extremely helpful medicine would not have such a bad name in media, news and pharmacies. This works wonders and there is no want or need to take more or become and addict. People and doctor's need to understand more on how to treat someone with something that just WORKS, rather than trying to give them SSRI's which are what the drugs companies push, all for money reasons. And, the doctor's out there who decide that SSRI's are the only option, they need to go back to medical school!

Xanax review by 38 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety/depression
Dosage & duration:   .5mg bid taken twice daily for the period of 2 months
Other conditions:   dependence
Other drugs taken:   suboxone

Benefits:   I took alprazolam for 2 months for extreme anxiety/depression. It did work considerably in the beginning, however I would occasionally sleep the day away if taken in the morning. I would wake up from naps with a terrible disposition. It did work considerably for anxiety, initially, but it's very easy to self medicate and take considerably higher dosages then prescribed. In retrospect, I shouldn't have taken the medication because I was already on a medication to come off of opiates, because I have an addictive personality. I discussed this with my Dr. and he told me that alprazolam with suboxone worked well together. I later found out that the two drugs were dangerous to take together because of the potential of respiratory depression. Also, I've found out that benzodiazepines, especially alprazolam can be very addictive, which can have much worse withdrawal than any opiate. I think alprazolam can be a very useful medication if taken as prescribed and only taken on a prn basis. I don't believe there are any instances where alprazolam should be taken twice a day, unless you have signs of extreme anxiety all day, every day. If you have an addictive personality like myself, I think if you consider alprazolam at all, it should be used very judiciously. But exhaust other alternatives to alprazolam, like buspar, which has no addiction potential, however, I think it tends to be pretty much useless unless taken in high dosages. I suggest talking to two or more dr.s before initiating a regimen. I only say this because I know what alprazolam withdrawal entails, and there are VERY unpleasant side effects, which can be life-threatening. Also, alprazolam isn't effective for very long. It is really only good for extreme panic attacks and helps quickly, then it loses its effect within approx. 2 hours. I will also say gladly, that I have known people who have taken alprazolam for several years and only for extreme panic attacks, and none of them have developed a dependency on them. The bottom line is you know you're propensity to addiction. Use your own common sense and if prescribed, have the dr. start you on .25mg., the lowest dose, and you should see a great difference in your anxiety, especially if your body is not accustomed to benzodiazepines. Best of luck.
Side effects:   lethargy, loss of appetite.
Comments:   I was started at .5mg, the second strength of dosage, 2 times daily. I became afraid of it because I was taking it to calm me from coming down off opiates, however, I was already on a medication to stop me from taking opiates, which was actually not supposed to be taken with alprazolam because of concerns that both medicines cause respiratory depression.

Xanax review by 38 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety/depression
Dosage & duration:   .5mg bid taken twice daily for the period of 2 months
Other conditions:   dependence
Other drugs taken:   suboxone

Benefits:   I took alprazolam for 2 months for extreme anxiety/depression. It did work considerably in the beginning, however I would occasionally sleep the day away if taken in the morning. I would wake up from naps with a terrible disposition. It did work considerably for anxiety, initially, but it's very easy to self medicate and take considerably highger dosages then prescribed. In retrospect, I shouldn't have taken the medication because I was already on a medication to come off of opiates, because I have an addictive personality. I discussed this with my Dr. and he told me that alprazolam with suboxone worked well together. I later found out that the two drugs were dangerous to take together because of the potential of respiratory depression. Also, I've found out that benzodiazepines, especially alprazolam can be very addictive, which can have much worse withdrawal than any opiate. I think alprazolam can be a very useful medication if taken as prescribed and only taken on a prn basis. I don't believe there are any instances where alprazolam should be taken twice a day, unless you have signs of extreme anxiety all day, every day. If you have an addictive personality like myself, I think if you consider alprazolam at all, it should be used very judiciously. But exhaust other alternatives to alprazolam, like buspar, which has no addiction potential, however, I think it tends to be pretty much useless unless taken in high dosages. I suggest talking to two or more dr.s before initiating a regimen. I only say this because I know what alprazolam withdrawal entails, and there are VERY unpleasant side effects, which can be life-threatening. Also, alprazolam isn't effective for very long. It is really only good for extreme panic attacks and helps quickly, then it loses its effect within approx. 2 hours. I will also say gladly, that I have known people who have taken alprazolam for several years and only for extreme panic attacks, and none of them have developed a dependency on them. The bottom line is you know you're propensity to addiction. Use your own common sense and if prescribed, have the dr. start you on .25mg., the lowest dose, and you should see a great difference in your anxiety, especially if your body is not accustomed to benzodiazepines. Best of luck.
Side effects:   lethargy, loss of appetite.

Condition / reason:   Bipolar Disorder/Panic attacks
Dosage & duration:   2mg Twice daily taken one in the morning, one at night for the period of For 5 years
Other conditions:   Back injury
Other drugs taken:   MS Contin 30mg twice daily (Morphine)

Benefits:   There were some good benefits, such as it would relax me and was able to get a good nights sleep.I felt more confident when taking this drug as it dulls your senses and changes everything into a positive.After a couple of months I became dependant on xanax as it made me feel good about myself.
Side effects:   There are many side effects that I experienced at different times.The worst side effect was that I would go into a rage and yell at my partner for the littlest things.Even though I was aware how bad I was,the anger inside of me took over and there wasn't any control.The morning dose always made me tired for the rest of the day, so I only took half a tablet to be able to function during the day.It is also a depressant which did not help me and is so ADDICTIVE that you actually fret about getting your next prescription.
Comments:   Xanax is used to treat a number of illnesses such as Bipolar, Panic disorder and insomnia.It is effective but also has some serious side effects and in the end you have to outweigh the good against the bad. Normal dosage for Biploar and Panic disorder is 2 mg twice daily, which is a very strong dose.In the first few months that you take it be aware that it makes you extremely tired and on several occasions I have fallen asleep in public places!

Xanax review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety attacks
Dosage & duration:   2 mg as needed taken two to four times a day for the period of 4 months
Other conditions:   Rheumatoid Arthritis, IBS
Other drugs taken:   Enbrel, vicodin, ambien, diclofenac, propanolol

Benefits:   At first I loved this drug. Panic attacks were getting under control and I didn't feel druggy or fuzzy headed.
Side effects:   There were no side effects that I noticed at the time.
Comments:   Sadly, you can't (or shouldn't) take a drug like Xanax forever. So eventually, after using it for four months, I stopped. OMG. Would someone please explain to me whose brilliant idea it was to create a drug that when you stop taking it, causes the same symptoms that it was designed to alleviate to begin with?!?! I ended up going through even worse panic attacks after stopping the drug than I had to begin with! So in spite of the fact that it worked great to begin with, I would NEVER take this medication again. All in all it turned out to be a terrible experience. There are other far less addictive and nasty drugs available for anxiety.

Xanax review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   1 mg. taken daily/as needed for the period of 15 yrs.
Other drugs taken:   Serzone

Benefits:   Would bring down anxiety levels from an incapcitating point to a managable level on most occasions. Sometimes it could literally make the difference between being able to leave the house or not. Provided tremendous relief from the physical, mental and emotional symptoms of anxiety. Worked very well as a sleep aid. Seldom experienced middle of the night waking.
Side effects:   Dosages beyond .5 mg. could sometimes cause drowsiness. Not a problem at night, but had to be careful taking medication when working or driving.
Comments:   Initially prescribed 1 mg. 3x a day for generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder. Adjusted dosage to take incrementally .25 -.5 mg. as needed.

Xanax review by 57 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   0.5mg taken daily for the period of 4yrs
Other conditions:   diabetes, high blood pressure,osteoporosis
Other drugs taken:   metformin,benicar, norvasc,fosamax

Benefits:   blood sugar controlled levels around 100-110, blood pressure had been normal ever since i was placed on these b/p medications.xanax was the only one that could prevent anxiety and panic attacks and help me sleep. as for fosamax, i have not had a follow up bone density so i do not know how beneficial it is for treating osteoporosis
Side effects:   since i started taking metformin my weight loss continued (this is unwanted weight loss). initially fosamax gave me severe flu like symptoms
Comments:   metformin 250 mg od, benicar 5 mg od , fosamax 70mg q wk,norvasc 2.5 mg od

Xanax review by 65 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   .25 (dosage frequency: every evening) for the period of one year
Other conditions:   depression
Other drugs taken:   effexor

Benefits:   The xanax would act as a downer. It would calm me temporaily but could throw me into depression depending on the situation. If the situation was mildly tramatic the xanax would calm me but then follow by depression. The following day I would have residual sedation. The main complain was the addiction. It was not exactly like a craving but if you did not take it your body would feel like something was missing. It did not hurt but until I took it again I felt not quite content and as soon as I would take the pill my body would feel like it would give a sigh of relief. I think it is as much addiction to the mind as to the body.
Side effects:   As I explained above. Addiction and drowsiness. Your mind and body felt like you were missing something. Until you took the pill you would be anxious but for no reason but as soon as you took the pill your mind would be relived. You would no longer dwell on the anxiety.
Comments:   Once a day preferably at bedtime but if a situation arose I would have to take another sooner and still one at bedtime in order to sleep.

Xanax review by 27 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety/trouble sleeping
Dosage & duration:   .5 mg a day as needed taken 1 for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   Reduces anxiety/worry. Really relaxes me and makes me feel much better and lets me sleep. I had major trouble falling asleep before taking this drug. Now I sleep like a baby. Very effective. Taken as prescribed there are no problems. A few idiots abuse this drug and thus the drug has gotten a bad rap unfortunately. Much better than SSRI's with way less side effects. It really makes me feel great. I take the .5 mg fast acting version, not the long acting version. This way it clears my system quicker and I can take it as needed and not worry about tolerance.
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   .5 mg/day as needed

Xanax review by 24 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   0.25mg taken as needed for the period of 1 1/2 years

Benefits:   Xanax for me is particualy beneficial when either I need fast relief (one of the fastest acting benzodiazepines) or more in a social setting because it gives a more stimulating relaxation (i.e relaxes you but also enables you to be social compared to alternatives.)
Side effects:   The only thing to be aware of with this drug is that it is very short acting so while it may be perfect for situational anxiety (e.g a speech, social event, dentist etc) its not a good idea for people with more generalised anxiety as its short acting nature may mean that people get rebound anxiety and then feel the need to dose again (can lead to dependance.)
Comments:   When taking as needed for particular events it works perfectly as a treatment

Xanax review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   severe depression< agrophobia & other phobias
Dosage & duration:   4 tabs per day taken 4 times per day for the period of 15 years
Other conditions:   low blood preassure

Benefits:   I was able to live, xanax gave me the ability to face life and dissolve my constant fear
Side effects:   There were no side effects as such.. the only one was a build up of resistence to Xanax..14 years to my consumption of Xanax I have build a resistance to it and needed more tablets per day for Xanax to have an effect. on top of this I got so severely depressed that I was taking up to 8 tablets per day, which was twice the allowed daily dosage
Comments:   I was taking 4 tablets of Xanax per day, after 14 years I was taking up to 8 tablets per day.

Xanax review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   TENSION AND ANXIETY
Dosage & duration:   1MG taken daily for the period of 1 year and continuing
Other conditions:   depression
Other drugs taken:   Prozac Weekly

Benefits:   Xanax is extremely effective and works very quickly.I have also noticed that some days I might not need it at all.I neither smoke nor drink alcohol so do not consider myself an addictive personality.Just need some extra coping skills for highly stressful emotional domestic situations
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Prescribed by a Psychiatrist.He advised me to take continuously for the first two weeks to break down cycle of anxiety and then gradually decrease dose and use on as needed basis.This works well I am very annoyed about the bad press surrounding use of Xanax as myself and others who have been prescribed the Medication can use it in a mature manner.Generally people of good judgement and living clean lifestyles are at little risk for addiction.Xanax was produced to help with specific problems possibly due to chemical inbalances in brain or traumas.