Wellbutrin (Bupropion) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Wellbutrin (Bupropion) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 42 ratings/reviews, Wellbutrin has an overall score of 7.19. The effectiveness score is 7.43 and the side effect score is 7.48. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Wellbutrin review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   300mg / day taken 2x daily for the period of I have been on it for 6 years now
Other conditions:   Inreased sweating at night, mild dehydration, trouble sleeping at times
Other drugs taken:   Celexia

Benefits:   I began taking the drug to control my Bulimia, which was the main symptom of my depression. It also helped me stop smoking.
Side effects:   Very few. I noticed right away that I had trouble sleeping from my high dosage. My ddoctor then prescribed 40mg / day of Celexia to counteract the restlessness.
Comments:   After about 1 month of taking the drug, the bingeing and purging decreased greatly. (from maybe 4 or 5 times /day to about once a month, if that. After 6 years of being on the medication, my Bulimia is under control and depression seems situational.

Condition / reason:   depression-anxiety
Dosage & duration:   300 mg taken 1 per day for the period of still take it about 1 year

Benefits:   Benefits included decreased anxiey attacks. It took approximately 2 weeks to see results but after that time it was a noticable difference.
Side effects:   The main side effect is dizziness. For example just sitting and then the room begins to spin. This only began to happen when I started the medication. Also I would not advise stopping the medication all of a sudden. When this happened I began to have terrible headaches, became very dizzy and moody even more so than when I began the medication.
Comments:   The plan for this treatment was to decrease the frequency and intensity of anxiety attacks. Medication combined with counseling has helped improve the situation. When I went off the medication it was only for a short period of time and then I realized it was necessary to go back onto the medication because of the benefits.

Wellbutrin review by 49 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   300mg daily taken daily for the period of years
Other conditions:   obesity, osteoarthritis
Other drugs taken:   multivitamin

Benefits:   relieved depressive symptoms; not as weepy or anxious, did NOT interfere with libido/sexual performance; slight decrease in appetite (pt liked wt loss)
Side effects:   increase in headaches, occasional nausea if taken on empty stomach
Comments:   pt started on 150mg daily for 1 week then increased to 300mg once daily. Pt continues on the regimen today (has been for years 5+)

Wellbutrin review by 45 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   150mg taken daily for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   freedom from depression, in addition, a greater interest in sex
Side effects:   none
Comments:   I took 150mg daily

Dosage & duration:   300mg taken daily for the period of 5mos

Benefits:   The medication treated the depression without the sexual side-effects that accompanied several other medications for depression.
Side effects:   Unfortunately, the drug seemed to correlate with an increased severity of a pre-existing condition: tinnitus. The tinnitus which was moderate to begin with became severe and ultimately led me to stop taking the medication. The tinnitus, though still present, is markedly less severe and decreased almost immediately after stopping the medication.
Comments:   I was prescribed Wellbutrin, was on it for approximately 5 months and gradually stopped over the course of a few days.

Wellbutrin review by 35 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   150 mg taken 1 day for the period of 2years
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   zoloft

Benefits:   the treatment benefits were an increase of energy and an overall increase in mood while not affecting the libido. after 2yrs it stopped having the same affect.
Side effects:   no side affects from this med
Comments:   took 2 75 mg bupropion and 300mg zoloft in the morning.

Dosage & duration:   300mg taken daily for the period of 5mos

Wellbutrin review by care giver of 31 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   500mg taken daily for the period of 3+ years
Other conditions:   none known

Benefits:   Experienced significant mood improvement in 2 weeks, increasingly more apparent over time. Where other medications had not worked, or had adverse side effects, Wellbutrin did not. This after several years of trial and error with other anti-depressants.
Side effects:   No acute side effects were experienced.
Comments:   Extreme depression over a period of 12 years, seemingly untreatable. Multiple medication combinations were tried via trial and error. These included Zyprexa, Effexor (induced mild mania over time), Paxil, Prozac, and others. These were prescibed by a series of psychiatrists over the dozen years or so. Patient has stabilized in the past three years and is relatively happy with hid mood levels and stability.

Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken once a day for the period of two years
Other conditions:   Anxiety

Benefits:   Depression lifted, more energy, more focus, more productive at work and school, able to laugh and smile, still felt sad or upset sometime (which is good because it means I didn't feel numb like some anti-depressants make you feel, sleep better.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   I take the prescription because my shrink said that she had heard that the generic wasn't as effective. I started taking this to replace serzone (which was taken off the market) but it has been more effective than the serzone ever was.

Wellbutrin review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Stop smoking
Dosage & duration:   150mg taken twice a day for the period of Approx. 60 days
Other drugs taken:   Nicotene patches

Benefits:   The treatment was effective in reducing my "appetite" for smoking. It also reduced my appetite for everything, including food. Therefore, at first, I did manage to stop smoking WITHOUT gaining weight or being depressed about giving up the cigerates. It just didn't seem important.
Side effects:   After a while, I began to notice that NOTHING seemed important to me. I also seemed to be moving in a world that had slowed down considerably. That may sound good, at first, but the reality was that the only thing that had slowed down was ME--the rest of the world kept going as usual. I began to notice that I couldn't seem to develop a sense of urgency even when it was IMPORTANT to do so because I had lost my sense of "timing." I tended to be late everywhere I went, I couldn't complete assignments on time, and my sleeping time increased dramatically.
Comments:   I was taking the Bupropion as an aide to break my smoking habit. I was also using prescription nicotene patches in decreasing amounts. The treatment WAS effective in TEMPORARILY breaking the smoking habit and possibly could have had longer lasting effects, however, my skin had a reaction to the patches (I started developing large, red, hot circles everywhere they touched my skin) and I found that I could not effectively lead my day-to-day life while under the influence of the Bupropion. Once I stopped using both products, I slowly returned to smoking.

Wellbutrin review by 52 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   300mg per day taken 1x aday for the period of 2years
Other conditions:   hypothyroid,addision's disease
Other drugs taken:   synthyroid,hydrocortisone,fludrocortisone,pottassium

Benefits:   more motivation,stopped crying in the morning,improved feelings of wellbeing,I could enjoy music and started singing spontaniously at times,something Ihad'nt done in years
Side effects:   dry mouth at first week then no side effects ,even when I went up to a dose of 500mg a day under the care of a psychatrist
Comments:   ruled out zoloft as it gave me diareahea when Itook it several years ago for panic attacks .The zoloft did stop the panic attacks,however. So Istarted on paxal for 3 months .felt somewhat better but slowed down or groggy.I decided the side effects were counter productive to what I needed in an antidepressant. Iasked to try wellbutrin. And felt the above mentioned benefits. I stared on the extended release then switched to generic and 2x a day dosing as the generic was much cheaper.I felt no difference between name brand and generic. Ihad no weight loss side effect.

Wellbutrin review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   50 (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of a year
Other conditions:   eating disorder
Other drugs taken:   birth control pill (mini)

Benefits:   seemed to have a very mild calming effect
Side effects:   lost interest in sex
Comments:   details? I tlod my doctor what was bothering me and he prescribed this. He said it would take a while to feel results but after a year I thought that was long enough. Then I swiched doctors.

Condition / reason:   Depression/Post-partum
Dosage & duration:   150 mg Twice daily taken once daily for 8 months for the period of Once daily for 8 months
Other drugs taken:   occasional Ibuprofen and Clyndamycin for Root Canal

Benefits:   Less aggrivation,less anxiety,less worrying,less overall depression.
Side effects:   Irritability at times and difficulty sleeping,heart palpitations and some sexual dysfunction.
Comments:   I have had post-partum depression severely with each of my children.(I have 3.) In addition to the Bi-Polar disorder I have lived with most of my life. The post-partum is very scary.I knew before my 3rd child was born what I would be in for,so I was ready this time and armed with Wellbutrin.It is definitely not a cure-all, more like a bandaid,but the bandaid helped get us through the last 8 months,while being more able to work on the root of the problems through counseling.

Wellbutrin review by 34 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   200 mg/day taken 2/day for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   Spinal pain
Other drugs taken:   Multi-vitamins

Benefits:   Stability in mood, easy to recover from burst of anger, help to concentrate
Side effects:   I have not seen any
Comments:   I had some mood problems, like being sad most of the time, no will to do anything, and most of it crying without a reason, like waking in the middle of the night and start crying. I only enjoyed very depressing movies where I could cry my eyes out.

Wellbutrin review by 42 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   300mg taken daily x1 for the period of 12 months
Other drugs taken:   otc vitamin

Benefits:   took wellbutrin comined with lexapro. younger doctor willing to mix and match drugs to get the disired effect. an overall big difference was noted with mood swingsand crying spells where i couldn't get myself together in a reasonable amount of time
Side effects:   no side effects were noted. i had heard that on wellbutrin that alot of people(this was word of mouth) lose weight but this was not the case with me dag gum it!
Comments:   wellbutrin 300 mg x1 daily combined with a daily multi vitamin plus exercise routine added daily. wellbutrin does come in generic but not in the xr formula so i still have to buy name brand. i hope they come out with a generic equal to the original soo,

Wellbutrin review by 53 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   450 mg taken 1 daily for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   menopause
Other drugs taken:   climara

Benefits:   I have taken antidepressants for many years, and this is first that did not "flip the switch" on sexuality. I no longer feel like I am looking out of a dark room. I have more energy, feel more motivated, and overall function at a higher level than before.
Side effects:   A little bit of "hyper" feelings. I take the entire dose at one time, daily, and have been advised that the feeling of being revved up would disspiate if I did take it in two or more doses during the day. I try to minimize the effect by taking the medication first thing in the morning.
Comments:   I suffer chronic depression and the Wellbutrin is the first antidepressant that did not sedate me, and the only that did not dampen sexual feelings. I have taken tricyclics (sp?) which were extremely sedating as well as limiting as far as OTC medications and dietary restrictions. I have also tried SSRIs (prozac, zoloft, etc.)and while they temporarily relieved my depression, 1) the effect did not last more than 6 months, and 2) they completely destroyed my libido.

Wellbutrin review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Smoking cessation
Dosage & duration:   150 mg taken od for three days then bid for the period of Perhaps 30 days total
Other conditions:   No other significant information

Benefits:   The idea is to take one pill each day for three days and then up the dose to twice per day. At day 10 the patient is to stop smoking altogether. I did this and found that in fact by day 8 or 9 I felt an eversion to smoking. Niggling cravings every few days trickled to a craving once a week or so which is weak and easily overcome. The prescription is typically for 3 months but I didn't need any refills at all. I stopped taking the drug after a month or so. I recommend this drug ONLY UNDER THE CARE OF A PHYSICIAN to anyone interested in stopping smoking once and for all. Certainly a person must be commited to the decision to quit smoking though or save your money.
Side effects:   The most obvious side effect for me was difficulty sleeping. Hard to take but I knew that it would be temporary and I knew that I would rather have spotty sleep for as much as a few weeks in trade for not smoking ever again. The difficulty sleeping didn't last long into the treatment, though. A week maybe. I remember reading about other side effects like a dry mouth, but the most alarming one is possible seizures. Talk to your doctor.
Comments:   Treatment details are above (oops). Once a day for three days and twice a day (twelve hours apart) for up to three months after that. At day ten the patient should stop smoking cold turkey.

Wellbutrin review by 27 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   300 mg taken 150 mg 2x a day for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   amotivation, sluggish cognitive tempo

Benefits:   mood improved slightly, mental energy increased slightly, but felt different than from a stimulant such as caffeine.
Side effects:   dry mouth was mild. Aggression was significant. I became very quick tempered, which in uncharacteristic for my personality type. Libido was not improved.
Comments:   I have a "slow" brain. Specifically I have what soem researchers refer to as "sluggish cognitive tempo". Taking a drug that has some dopaminergic activity could theoretically improve certain parts of the symptomology.

Wellbutrin review by 33 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   400 mg/ day taken twice/ day for the period of 4 years

Benefits:   I have a long history in taking anti-depressant drugs. It started in high school with prozac and desipramine, neither of which I have anything positive to report. In college, after a dangerous stint without treatment, it resumed with luvox, and later it was effexor. Finally, after the scariest bout of all, leading to a stay in the hospital, they put me on wellbutrin. Combined with rigorous therapy, dbt (dialectical behavioral therapy) groups, and much personal work, I got my head above water. I was able to work, eat well and exercise regularly, but many of the symptoms were still there. I thought that was the extent of what an anti-depressant could do for me, the rest of the work was up to me and maybe in about 20 years I might be able to feel happiness. Since then I went off wellbutrin during a cross-country move, was part of a study for treatment resistant depression where it was recommended I try cymbalta. I feel the cymbalta has actually influenced my negative thinking and given me more energy. So now I know that an anti-depressant can potentially create better results than just keeping ones head above water.
Side effects:   None of the previous meds I mentioned, however did a damn thing but cause me to shake, be continuously thirsty and not be able to achieve orgasm. The wellbutrin was great in that it didn't cause any sexual side effects. That was a relief. The ability to reach orgasm seems as if it should me a basic right for every human being, and the emptiness that replaces the disappearance of the bodies biological ability to feel good, just doesn't seem right. I was very adament in telling my psychiatrist that I didn't want anything that caused sexual side effects, which most anti-depressants do. The cymbalta causes the "emptiness" but honestly, the improvement it has made in my mood and productivity make it worth it for now. Plus, I'm not in a meaningfully intimate relationship at the moment. It seems to only cause and inability to reach inner orgasm however. Clitoral orgasm is still possible with vibrator and not a human being. Recently they have added a dose of wellbutrin to my regimen as an attempt to counteract the sexual side effect caused by the cymbalta. I do not yet know if this is working (Like I said, I have no boyfriend so I don't even know why I'm bothering. Really I did it to see if the addition of wellbutrin would make me feel even better. I haven't felt much difference.
Comments:   Once a month I see a psychiatrist, although I am "in between" doctors right now because my previous one left as they always seem to do. I have been without a therapist for a while now, wanting to take a break from the time and monetary commitment that therapy demands. I am beginning to think that now is a good time to go back to it. I consider the jogging, yoga, healthy eating and vitamins I take to be a part of my treatment.

Wellbutrin review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Bipolar disorder
Dosage & duration:   450 mg taken once a day for the period of 15 years
Other conditions:   NA
Other drugs taken:   NA

Benefits:   Nearly complete control of bipolar condition, except in times of stress. It worked very well for me, even though I tried almost all the SSRIs over the years.
Side effects:   Dry mouth became a problem after years of use. No other side effects were a problem. There was decreased appetite as well, which I consider to be a benefit.
Comments:   I took the drug for many years before it became a problem and I had to stop. I'm not sure what you want me to describe here.

Dosage & duration:   300 mg taken daily for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   The drug worked on reducing/eliminating my situational feelings of depression. Initially, it increased my energy and focus, and stopped the feelings of sadness. It did not make me feel like a "zombie" and I felt connected to my emotions and the people around me, which I had heard was a side effect of other anti-depressants.
Side effects:   At first I had crazy dreams, whch wasn't so bad. I did not have any trouble falling asleep. I had very high energy for the first 2 weeks, then it tapered off back to normal. I wish the energy had remained. I did not lose any weight, which I was hoping for...but I did not gain any either, so that was positive.
Comments:   I started on 150 mg for 2 weeks on the brand name drug once a day. It seemed like as soon as I was switched to the generic 300mg, the energy and focus benefits stopped. There is no way to know if it was the switch to generic or just my body getting used to the drug, but it was dissapointing. I really enjoyed the energy. I weaned myself off after 1 year because I didn't need it anymore. I did not have any significant withdrawal symptoms. Overall it was a positive experience, although I was glad to not need it anymore.

Wellbutrin review by 34 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Dosage & duration:   75 mg taken once daily for the period of 1 month
Other conditions:   Anxiety
Other drugs taken:   nothing

Benefits:   I didn't feel that there were any benefits. I initially started taking Wellbutrin because it was tauted as having little to no sexual side effects. I really was highly disappointed in the overall experience of this drug. I immediately switched back to Effexor.
Side effects:   After a couple of days of taking the drug, I started experiencing severe flash anger. The smallest nuisance would set me off. I remember actually throwing something across my dining room. It was awful. At that point I decided to no longer take the drug.
Comments:   I am not certain what I should describe here. The treatment details were that I was prescribed a medication after having asked for it due to its advertised benefits and I never have been so disappointed in a medicine until this one. I am not certain if other people have had similar experiences or not, but it wasn't pleasant.

Dosage & duration:   300 mg taken daily for the period of 1 year

Dosage & duration:   50 or 100mg? taken once per day for the period of 4 months
Other drugs taken:   multi-vitamin, omega fatty acid supplement

Benefits:   none
Side effects:   irritability and extreme anxiety, mild panic attack
Comments:   I have been on Zoloft with great results for over 5 years. I do not have a constant barrage of depressed thoughts or emotions when I am on the drug. When my husband and I decided to try to have a baby, my ob-gyn suggested that I switch to Wellbutrin. Some anti-depressants may carry a small risk of side-effects to the baby in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. My ob-gyn felt that taking Wellbutrin may reduce these risks. After 1 or 2 months on Wellbutrin, I began to feel very irrtable and anxious. My chest began to tighten painfully with even the thought of something stressful. After 4 months on Wellbutrin, I had my first panic attack ever. I threw the pills in the trash and went to see a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist told me that there was no medically proven benefit to switching to Wellbutrin, and put me back on Zoloft. I feel much better!

Dosage & duration:   300 mg daily taken daily for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Medication helped with depression, my irritable bowel syndrome, appetite control, and there were no sexual side effects
Side effects:   dry mouth, difficulty sleeping
Comments:   I was treated for several years with the above medication, it worked better than anything I had tried. I was able to taper off the medication--NEVER quit abruptly--and have been doing fine. I began running to help with the depression and IBS and, in my opinion, it works very well. I still have times of irritability, but that's normal life, right?

Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken daily for the period of several years

Benefits:   My dosage is NOT the standard treatment of 300 mg daily, however at the 100 mg daily dose I get some benefits, including decreased irritability and appetite control, without side effects.
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   I have been on this medication, at this dosage for a few years now, and it works great. No side effects at the 100 mg per day dose but I still get the benefits of help with mood swings and appetite control.

Wellbutrin review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   300 mg/day taken 150 mg twice a day for the period of five years
Other drugs taken:   Prozac - 20 mg/day

Benefits:   Wellbutrin and Prozac stabilized my moods and kept me from slipping into depression. There really wasn't anything more to it, but I gather I have to write 50 words, so here they are.
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   I'm not sure I understand the question. This was pretty simple - I had a tendency to slip into deep depressions without medication. The drugs prevented that without side effects.

Wellbutrin review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression/anxiety
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken once a day for the period of a few months
Other conditions:   ADD
Other drugs taken:   Addedall

Benefits:   Decreased depression
Side effects:   felt funny and would get sort of dizzy
Comments:   I switched from Zoloft to Wellbutrin because it seemed like Zoloft was increasing my appetite a lot. I originally was treated with Zoloft for a severe episode of depression. After switching to Wellbutrin and taking it for a few months I continued to experience the original relief I had gotten from depression by taking Zoloft. It is possible however that I no longer needed anti-depressants. I stopped taking Wellbutrin b/c while taking it, a few times a day I would feel pretty strange physically for a few moments. I found this frightening so I didn't want to continue taking it.

Wellbutrin review by 29 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   300mg taken two 150mg pills a day for the period of 5 days
Other conditions:   Tinnitus
Other drugs taken:   Duloxetine (Cymbalta)

Benefits:   More energy, better mood, increase sexual desire (which was very low).
Side effects:   I had a moderate tinnitus which became severe as soon as I started to take the drug. I will stop taking the medication.
Comments:   I've been taking Duloxetina (Cymbalta) 60mg for 2 years now. It helps with my mood but it doesn't take all the depression sympthoms away.

Dosage & duration:   300 mg taken once per day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   mood swings

Benefits:   Lifting of mood.
Side effects:   No noticeable side-effects from the brand name, problems with generic. Details in next section.
Comments:   I began taking Wellbutrin about 3 years ago. At some point, I realized the generic was available and switched to it. I did not anticipate any difference in effectiveness or side effects as I thought the generic was chemically identical to the brand, minus the ink used to print "Wellbutrin" on the pills. It took about a month before I thought switching to the generic might even be related to the onset of irritability and subjective experience of "heart pounding." I switched back to the name brand and the negative side effects disappeared almost immediately. Also during the period of irritability (and pulse increase, I think, but I didn't actually take my pulse), I had a blood vessel burst in my hand. This was not a surface capillary, but a deep vessel, that caused a bruise to appear on both sides of my hand. The bursting was not associated with any trauma to the hand, but seemed rather spontaneous.

Wellbutrin review by 32 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   350 mg taken once per day for the period of 4 months
Other conditions:   GERD
Other drugs taken:   Prilosec

Benefits:   I feel much better emotionally. I was unable to get out of bed before I started treatment, and now I am back to having an interest in life. It doesn't make me nauseous, which is a huge plus as far as I'm concerned. I like that it doesn't cause weight gain or sexual side effects. I was happy that it only made me feel mildly nauseous for a day or so. I feel nearly back to normal emotionally. I was concerned that it made my hands quite shaky for awhile, but after a reduced my caffeine intake, that subsided. My only complaint is that it makes my ears ring. All the time. It is generally easy to ignore during the day, but I have found that I need a fan and a white noise machine set to a high pitch sound (like crickets) in order to be able to ignore it enough to sleep.
Side effects:   It did make me mildly nauseous for the first day that I was on it. After that, all good. It made my hands very shaky for awhile, but that seems to have subsided for the most part, particularly since I cut my caffeine intake. Given that it's an amphetamine derivative, it make since that adding another stimulant might lead to side effects. My only complaint is that it makes my ears ring. All the time. It is generally easy to ignore during the day, but I have found that I need a fan and a white noise machine set to a high pitch sound (like crickets) in order to be able to ignore it enough to sleep.
Comments:   Started out on one extended release tablet at 150 mg once per day. After 4 weeks bumped up to 300 mg dose.

Wellbutrin review by 35 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   150 mg taken 2 times for the period of Still take it

Benefits:   After taking Wellbutrin for approximately 2 months I noticed a considerable decrease in anxiety and morbid intrusive thoughts, which improved my depression feeling considerably. I also noticed that I had an easier time quitting smoking. I could be around smokers and not feel an urge to smoke, which had never happened in previous attempts to quit and using a nicotine patch.
Side effects:   During the first month I had insomnia. I slept about 3 hrs per night; however, I didn't feel fatigued by it. I also lost about 20 lbs in the first 6 months.
Comments:   My doctor prescribed Wellbutrin for depression and anxiety. I take 150mg two times per day.

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   Anxety / Depression
Dosage & duration:   150mg taken daily / 150mg in morning for the period of 1 month
Other conditions:   sexual dysfunction
Other drugs taken:   birth control, Hydrochlorothiadzide

Benefits:   I only started this medication to still treat my Anxiety and mild depression, but eliminate the desire not to want sex.
Side effects:   Irritable, sleeplessness, rages of angry, fatigue, high blood pressure
Comments:   My OBGYN switched me from Prozac to Wellbutrin in efforts to help with the sexual side affects. Well, it did absolulte nothing to help in that area and instead made me more depressed, irritable, had severe rages, crying all the time, no desire to get out of bed, hot flashes and my blood pressure spiked tremendously. I went back to my PCP and I'm back to Zoloft which I had taken in the past and although I'm still having w/d's from the Wellbutrin, I'm felling 80% better in it's only been 3 days. I tossed all the remaining pills out. This drug clearly didn't work for my body. What a horrible experience to go through. I will in the future only get these types of meds from my PCP and not my OBGYN.

Wellbutrin review by 38 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   150mg taken 1xday for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   Mieneres

Benefits:   Better mood, more energy, weight loss. Daily outlook was better, fewer outbursts of anger. I was able to concentrate a little better and be more focused. I didn't have any moments of the blues or procrastination.
Side effects:   Headaches, aggrivated tinnitus, increased menstrual pain, abdominal pain. Other general aches and pains in the body which could not be explained.
Comments:   1 pill 1 time per day.

Wellbutrin review by 40 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   300mg taken daily for the period of 3 weeks
Other conditions:   Insomnia
Other drugs taken:   Zolpidem

Benefits:   Did not take it long enough for any noticeable benefit.
Side effects:   My hair started falling out after the first week. During week two, I saw my doctor and told her about this. She said it was not a known side effect. Internet research assured me the hair loss was not coincidental; others had the same reaction. I quit taking it a few days later.
Comments:   300mg Wellbutrin daily. My hair started falling out after the first week. During week two, I saw my doctor and told her about this. She said it was not a known side effect. Internet research assured me the hair loss was not coincidental; others had the same reaction. I quit taking it a few days later.

Wellbutrin review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Bipolar Disorder II
Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken 2x daily for the period of 6 Years
Other drugs taken:   Topomax

Benefits:   I had a nervous breakdown suddenly and unexpectedly. After 1 week in the psych ward, I was prescribed 2 medications that I soon realized didn't help. Over the course of 1 year, I tried many different combinations of anti-depresants which didn't work. Not until I tried both wellbutrin and topomax together did I start recovering from my breakdown. About 1 1/2 years ago I discontinued the Topomax and I've only used the Wellbutrin since it helps me maintain my health.
Side effects:   I didn't experience any side effects.
Comments:   See above as that thoroughly explains everything.

Wellbutrin review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression; intrusive suicidal impulses
Dosage & duration:   300mg daily taken daily for the period of past 3.5 years
Other conditions:   anxiety, PTSD
Other drugs taken:   trazadone

Benefits:   Within a couple of weeks, intrusive thoughts of suicide abated. Over the next few weeks mood lifted some. At the time I started I was desperate & hopeless was quite surprised it helped as much as it did without usual side ffects of anti depressants-sexual sidew effects & weight gain. Didn't cure depression but definitely helped severe suicidality. And I'm against anti-depressants as 1st run for treating mood disorders but there is a place for them when exercise, sprirtual practice, good nutrition & life balance not enough-but these life practices absolutely indispensible for any health issue esp. Mood disorders.
Side effects:   Does have light stimulant effect which is great for the extreme fatige of depression But/And any activating chemical can also increase hostile, angry feelings so tweek the dose for you so you don't get over reactive with others.
Comments:   Take 300 mg wellbutrin xr daily in morning, eat healthy whole foods, exercise-outdoors as much as possible, prayer; meditation, yoga, get rest, restructure negative beliefs into positive beliefs-cognitive & spiritual approaches

Wellbutrin review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety/ mild depression
Dosage & duration:   150 mg taken 1/ day for the period of started 3.5 months ago; still taking
Other drugs taken:   lexapro 10 mg and loestrin 24 fe

Benefits:   increased energy. better focus. better sex drive. more "alive" than when only taking lexapro and loestrin.
Side effects:   dry mouth. for 1st couple of weeks, became VERY jittery after drinking coffee (this has stopped).
Comments:   i'd been on lexapro for about a year. my nephew (national guardsman) was killed in afghanistan... horrible details... negated good results of lexapro, so doctor prescribed wellbutrin/ generic bupropion. i tried to wean myself off of lexapro last month, but original panic attacks returned, so am back to the combination. am experiencing good effects.

Wellbutrin review by 50 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   400 mg per day taken 2x per day for the period of 10 yeas
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   tranzine

Benefits:   I experienced less depression, increased libido plus the added benefit of decreased desire for cigarettes.
Side effects:   I have a dry mouth and eyes. Drug has decreased effectiveness in last 5 years.
Comments:   Prescribed at 300 mg per day, have taken as much 450 mg per day. I like this drug because it has few side effects.

Wellbutrin review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   400mg taken 2x daily for the period of off and on for 8 years
Other conditions:   anxiety, adult attention deficit disorder
Other drugs taken:   beta blockers, trazodone, Serzone, Ritalin

Benefits:   Alleviated depression without lethargy, weight gain, a paradoxical effect, or sexual dysfunction. Prozac made me suicidally depressed. MAO-Inhibitors like Parnate worked very well for me, except all of my favorite foods were forbidden. Wellbutrin seemed to be the only antidepressant that lifted me out of my depression, and it had the unanticipated benefit of getting me to quit smoking -- I went from smoking a pack of Camels a day to not smoking.
Side effects:   I often would get pounding headaches, in the front of my skull and at the sides, especially as the day wore on. I also would feel sick to my stomach early in the day, which would be exacerbated by coffee. I got tremors. Occasionally I'd get migaines.
Comments:   I took 2 100 mg of the Wellbutrin, 20mg of Ritalin and a 10 mg of a beta blocker (I can't remember the name) in the morning. Then at 3 I took the other 200 mg of the Wellbutrin; at night I took the Serzone (before it was yanked from the market) and the Trazodone. I took a drug holiday from the Ritalin over the weekend, but over the years I eventually increased the dosage to 35mg of Ritalin in the morning.

Wellbutrin review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Stop Smoking/Depression
Dosage & duration:   150 mg taken 1 x a day for the period of 3 days
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   Lexapro

Benefits:   So far it's only been 3 days. Wellbutrin seems to give me a spike of energy which is nice. Still have the craving for cigs so I'm continuing to smoke like I usually do.
Side effects:   Sometimes I lash out for no reason at all. With Lexapro I remember having to wait a few weeks to get results, so I'm sure I'll wait.
Comments:   Doc says to wait, that's the treatment. I'm hoping like many this treatement will help me stop smoking and ease my depression. You have to change your life and make yourself a better person, not just rely on drugs to cure you. So, I'm working on the little things in life to change.

Wellbutrin review by 46 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   300 mg taken once daily for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   I started with a 150 mg dose and that did next to nothing. I recently increased to 300 mg and then I really started to feel better. I felt kind of hyper and for the first time in ages was able to go back to my gym routine. I noticed a decrease in appetite which in my case is great as I have about 20 lbs to lose. This drug definitely helped with my feelings of worthlessness and failure and with the crying spells.
Side effects:   The worst side effect for me is stomach upset and trips to the bathroom, especially in the morning after I've taken it. The feeling of being all cranked up is good when I have so much to do (others say this wears off) but it also makes me feel a bit anxious and unable to relax. I had mild sleep problems, mainly early waking.
Comments:   I'm really loving the increase in energy and the lifting of the black cloud, but sometimes I feel a little spinny. Since increasing the doseage I've noticed I've been doing more stupid things than normal, like almost backing up into a truck that I knew was there!!??