Wellbutrin SR (Bupropion) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Wellbutrin SR (Bupropion) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 11 ratings/reviews, Wellbutrin SR has an overall score of 8.27. The effectiveness score is 8.36 and the side effect score is 8. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Wellbutrin SR review by 45 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   200 mg taken 1x am for the period of 24 months
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   trazadone

Benefits:   I began to notice the positive benefits within a few weeks. My mood brightened, I stopped feeling grief and self-loathing, began to remember what I liked to do. I also had increased ability to concentrate, increased energy, increased sex drive. I was no longer depressed. I stopped taking the medication after a couple of years, and the symptoms of depression did not return.
Side effects:   I actually felt pretty upset during the first couple of weeks - shaky, a little manic and sensitive. That did go away, though. I also had occasional insomnia throughout.
Comments:   I met with my physician four weeks after I began taking the medication, then 3 months later, then every six months. I did not attend talk therapy or receive any other treatment.

Wellbutrin SR review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ADD
Dosage & duration:   200 mg taken daily for the period of 13 years
Other drugs taken:   adderall

Benefits:   Wellbutrin offers a stable, constant release of medication that by inhibiting the reuptake of dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine results in more dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine to transmit messages to other nerves. Two brain chemicals in particular—dopamine and norepinephrine—are believed to play an important role in the ability to focus and pay attention to tasks.
Side effects:   Sometimes, I find I'm a little more tired when I miss a day.
Comments:   I was diagnosed with Attention Deficient Disorder 13 years ago, a year after it was discovered that my daughter, then six, had the disorder. Prior to beginning a medication regiment to treat my disorder, I had tendencies toward impulsiveness, and difficulty staying on task, which affected many areas of my life. I have been able to achieve career and personal success that I know would not have been possible prior to taking the medication.

Wellbutrin SR review by 53 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   150mg taken 2 x's/day for the period of 8 years
Other drugs taken:   Cymbalta

Benefits:   The benefits of treatment were a lifting of depression, specifically as it relates to Wellbutrin, to elevate the ceiling of emotions. It also had a midly energizing effect.
Side effects:   Very occassionally a racing feeling if I took the two doses too close together.
Comments:   I've used wellbutrin in combination with other anti-depressants, but it is usually the other one (Zoloft, Prozac, Effexor) that loses it's effect after time. Wellbutrin has remained consistently reliable and contributes to the livlier aspects of mood elevation for me.

Wellbutrin SR review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   bi-polar
Dosage & duration:   300mg a day taken 150mg 2x a day for the period of am still on it
Other conditions:   anxiety,ocd

Benefits:   rid patient of emotional highs and lows. Bring them to an even mamgeable level. Also eased if not completely diminished all of patients anxiety related syptoms and eased those of the ocd to a more manageable level as well.
Side effects:   Dry mouth, sleepiness upon first ingesting the medication, and some gastrointestinal discomfort when started taking. If taken too close will cause a mild nervousness. Last does is to be taken several hours before bed or will cause a sleepless night.
Comments:   Patient is to take 150 mg in the morning and 150 mg in the evening as perscribed and take no sooner than 8 hrs apart. Best to take last pill in the evening and not directly before bed so that patient will be able to get a good nights rest.

Wellbutrin SR review by 41 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   150 mg x2 daily taken morning and bight for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   menopausal
Other drugs taken:   premarin

Benefits:   i dont think i felt anything positive, no mood change, just the same really although i am smoking a lot less, it does a good job of taking away cravings for nicotine
Side effects:   anxiety, anxiety, anxiety
Comments:   to take 2 daily, the results are meant to be felt about 1 month after starting treatment

Wellbutrin SR review by 22 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   ADHD
Dosage & duration:   300 mg taken 150 mg twice daily for the period of three weeks
Other conditions:   Depression
Other drugs taken:   Abilify, Zoloft, Concerta

Benefits:   Motivates, keeps me focused and helps me stay calm and alert in the same time. Not as noticeable as stimulants but more steady, no ups and downs, and it works round the clock reducing the rebound from when Concerta wears off after approx 10 hours. Stabilizing effect on the mood too.
Side effects:   Insomnia the first week.
Comments:   Only been on Wellbutrin for three weeks and already feel a difference in my ADHD symptoms. Been on Concerta for years, but needed a drug working round the clock.

Wellbutrin SR review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   150 mg taken 2 times a day for the period of 4 years- current
Other conditions:   Anxiety

Benefits:   After battling w/moderate depression for many years, this drug is a miracle for me! It stopped the "hampster wheel in my head" anxiety I had, I feel mush calmer, I can focus on what is important, and I no longer have such emotional hypersensitivity that I used to. It helps me feel like the "me" that I had lost for a long time, but i have never had a "medicated" feeling from it,as i did with other antidepressants i previously tried.
Side effects:   Dry mouth, thirsty a lot.Sometimes costipation,faint ringing in ears sometimes, comes and goes.
Comments:   Currently using for moderate depression 150mg 2 times a day.

Wellbutrin SR review by 55 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1 per day 150 mg SR taken daily for the period of 7yrs
Other conditions:   acid reflux
Other drugs taken:   Prilosec; Effexor

Benefits:   It helped with depression and suicidal thoughts. I was able to sleep better and deal with anxiety and stress better.
Side effects:   dry mouth was the worst side effect but since I should drink more water anyway it was a mixed blessing.
Comments:   Effexor and Wellbutrin kept my depression under control - I took more during the winter months and less the rest of the year.

Wellbutrin SR review by 47 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   150mg taken 2x daily for the period of 5 yrs
Other conditions:   ADHD/ overweight

Benefits:   It greatly helped with my depression which was caused by a divorce after 28 years of marriage. 3 months after my separation my Father died and my Mother became very angry and unresponsive with me.When I started taking this medication I was able to focus better at work and at home I was able to effectively deal with my emotions, I also experienced an increase in my libido. I am still currently taking the generic form of Wellbutrin SR (Bupropion).
Side effects:   I took Wellbetrin XL for a little while, but I didn't like it because I felt like my emotions were on a rollercoaster ride. I went back to the generic form of Wellbutrin SR and I felt better, I would like to try the name brand of Wellbutrin since I have heard that it is actually better than the generic.I don't recall any bad side effects,except a little dry mouth.
Comments:   I take 1 tablet in the morning an 1 tablet at night everyday. When I am able to afford it I intend to try the brand name of this product to see if it will help with my libido now since I have had a hysterectomy and am experiencing low libido, weight gain, and depression of a different kind than I experienced in the beginning.

Wellbutrin SR review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   450 mgs taken i take 150mg 3 times a day for the period of Been taking for about 9 months
Other conditions:   Anxiety, Fibromyalgia, IBS
Other drugs taken:   multivitamins, calcium, Vit C,D,E, klonopin

Benefits:   When I started taking this medication I was first put on 150mgs twice a day. After about 6 months felt that it was not really working. After Dr upped dosage to 450 mgs per day i have never felt better. Use to be extremely emotional, weepy, and just did not want to get out of bed. It has helped with my symptoms from the fibromyalgia, and my anxiety. It has also helped me drop weight which is a bonus too.
Side effects:   I am normally the queen of side effects and the only one that I ended up with was not being able to taste what I eat. It effected me within 2 months of taking it, and its gotten better but there are still some foods that i just cant enjoy because i cant taste it.
Comments:   Suffering from depression, fibromyalgia, and anxiety taking this medication has helped stablize my moods, which helps with my flare ups from the fibromyalgia. My depression has also gotten so much better. i have suffered from depression since I gave birth to my daughter in 1992.

Wellbutrin SR review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   150 mg taken once a day for the period of 100mg for month increased to 150 one wk
Other conditions:   anxiety and panic attacks
Other drugs taken:   lamictal xanax naltrexone

Benefits:   decreased appetite, help to stop abusing alcohol
Side effects:   muscle aches, shakes, increased anxiety, strange thoughts, blurred vision
Comments:   plan to keep taking and hope side effects decrease over time, possibly increasing dose, taking xanax to help with anxiety. Took paxil and lexapro in past, gave me suicidal thoughts and actions when drinking alcohol with them. Decided ssri's are not for me. keep hoping wellbutrin will help soon.