Voltaren (Diclofenac) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Voltaren (Diclofenac) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 13 ratings/reviews, Voltaren has an overall score of 6.85. The effectiveness score is 8 and the side effect score is 7.85. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Voltaren review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   bursitis and tennis elbow
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken one daily for the period of 30 days
Other conditions:   rosacea on face

Benefits:   I experienced almost immediate relief of both bursitis in my left thigh and tennis elbow in my right aarm. I also had a strained muscle in lower back area which I also experienced relief from. The bursitis had been bothering me for quite some time (8mths)and mainly at nighttime when I was lying down in bed. I found it difficult to get comfortable and often used a hot water bottle to soothe it.
Side effects:   Just after taking the pill (with food) I felt a bit dopey in the head which lasted for up to an hour, and sometimes a slight nausea (but not often).
Comments:   Take with a large glass of water (i must say I did not notice this instruction until now). Take 1 tablet daily (with food) when required to relieve pain and inflammation. Swallow whole. Do not crush or chew.

Voltaren review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Primary dysmenorrhea
Dosage & duration:   25mg/tablet taken 3 times/day with food for the period of 3 days each time for about 12 months
Other drugs taken:   Ibuprofen

Benefits:   Hardly any- it was much less effective than paracetamol against the pain. I still had to take the maximum dose of ibuprofen to reduce the pain. I hoped taking Voltaren as well would extend the analgesic effects of the ibuprofen but it was fairly ineffective.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   75 mg Voltaren & 2.4g ibuprofen a day during periods of extreme pain

Voltaren review by 43 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   tennis elbow
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken 3 times per day for the period of 1 week

Benefits:   elimination of pain in elbow .reduction in general muscle discomfort to rest of body after gym workout.
Side effects:   none at all during the day or evening
Comments:   one 50mg tablet 3 times per day for 1 week. what i did find was that the pain in the elbow did return eventually and i would have to start re treating my self again

Voltaren review by 24 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   eryhema nodosum
Dosage & duration:   50mg taken when ever pain occurred for the period of 1 week

Benefits:   Reduced pain caused by erythema, ability to carry out day to day activities without too much discomfort. Though tiredness was on of the side effects of the problem this could not be resolved with drugs, though blood tests did show whether the situation was improving or not.
Side effects:   None were experienced at the time. there are side affects, but as i didn't really take the drug unless i couldn't cope this did not really seem to affect me. I tried to deal with the pain so that i could monitor if i was beginning to feel better or not.
Comments:   Gentle exercise was encouraged to keep the circulation going. Keeping the erythema affected are rested, by keeping it resting up when sitting down or lying down with a cushion to aid. When swelling occurred anti-inflammatory medication and pain killers were useful in giving some relief.

Voltaren review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   sore lower back
Dosage & duration:   50mg taken twice daily for the period of for 3 days

Benefits:   There was a complete reduction of back pain, and the inflammation. I wasn't sure what was causing it at the time- ie. back strain or period pain or?? but the Voltaren made me able to walk and sit comfortably again
Side effects:   nausea- I forgot to eat enough before taking the dose, and by the time I though tof it the nausea had settled in. It took a couple of hours to wear off.
Comments:   I self diagnosed and took what seemed to be the approriate minimum dose, aware that it wouldn't be good to take long term.

Voltaren review by 36 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Chronic back pain
Dosage & duration:   150mg X 2 per day taken every 12 hours for the period of 1 month
Other conditions:   Multiple Myeloma (bone degeneration)
Other drugs taken:   Norflex (muscle relaxor)

Benefits:   I was perscribed this after I decided to quite narcotic pain killers. I was taking fairly large doses of Oxycotin and switched to Voltaren 75mg. They will not touch my pain. I guess I have a high tolerance for pain meds. I don't believe they would be effective for people with chronic moderate to severe pain.
Side effects:   Upset stomach.
Comments:   I was perscribed 75mgs X 2 per day. I take double that amount and still have very little relief.

Voltaren review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Osteo arthritis
Dosage & duration:   75 mg taken once daily for the period of Currently for past 6 hrs
Other conditions:   Slow thyroid
Other drugs taken:   Levoxyl for slow thyroid

Benefits:   Without the Voltarin, every step I take makes my joints feel like cracking glass and they ache constantly. This drug greatly reduces that pain throughout the entire day.
Side effects:   I have experienced No side effects to date
Comments:   I've had total joint replacement in both hips due to effects of osteo arthritis.

Voltaren review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Severe knee pain
Dosage & duration:   As the packet instructed (dosage frequency: as instructed on packet) for the period of 1 week

Benefits:   My knee and leg pains lessened considerably after taking Voltaren orally
Side effects:   I didn't experience any side effects
Comments:   By over exercising I strained my left knee which had been a problem in the past(12 years ago,torn meniscus). I had considerable pain with shooting pains to my groin which caused my leg to almost give way. I took Voltaren orally as instructed on the packet and it worked within a very short time and after one week the pain is very slight just a twinge now & then in my groin which reminds me that I need to rest!

Voltaren review by 32 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   arthritis in knees
Dosage & duration:   2-4g (dosage frequency: twice daily) for the period of 30 days and counting
Other conditions:   asthma
Other drugs taken:   symbicort inhaler

Benefits:   diminished inflammation, noticeable loss of swelling, pain relief, did not have to take it orally-I applied it as needed on affected knee. It has worked on other joints too (hands, hips, etc..)
Side effects:   dry skin, numbness at application site, strong smell, the smell disappears quickly, and I treat the dryness with moisturizer. The numbness goes away or is less noticeable with time.
Comments:   I applied the gel as directed on box label. Larger amounts are needed on large joints (knees, hips); dosage is smaller on smaller joints (hands). I used the application strips provided with gel to measure dose, and washed my hands thoroughly after application. Within 20 minutes I felt better.

Voltaren review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   arthritis
Dosage & duration:   75 mg taken once daily for the period of ongoing since 2004
Other conditions:   thyroid
Other drugs taken:   levoxyl

Benefits:   substantial reduction in joint pain caused from arthritis.
Side effects:   mild constipation is the only side effect I've experienced.
Comments:   i've had knee replacement due to arthritis having deteriorated the joint. This drug reduces the effects of the pain of the joint pain throughout my body which results from hereditary osteo arthritis. I've tried several times to stop using the voltaren since the joint replacement but the pain becomes too severe and so I resume taking the medication.

Voltaren review by 61 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   osteoarthritis
Dosage & duration:   50mg taken 2x each day for the period of 6 years
Other drugs taken:   hormone replacement

Benefits:   Severe debilitating pain associated with inflammation and joint pain through out the body is alleviated, enabling more normal living. eg being able to do all housework tasks, gardening, running around and picking up grandchildren, enjoying social life plus taking part in daily fitness activities.
Side effects:   occaional stomach pains
Comments:   Always only take the medication with meals so as to minimize the likelihood of the stomach being affected.

Voltaren review by 52 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   Reactive Arthritis (leg joint swelling/stiffness)
Dosage & duration:   4x 50mg tablets taken 2 morning & 2 evening for the period of Approx 5 weeks
Other conditions:   Recent BCG wash after Polyps removed in baldder
Other drugs taken:   Sulfasalazine

Benefits:   Slight decrease in stiffness, and better degree of mobility of legs joints (ankles, knees and hips)
Side effects:   Small bowel perforation and lesion(wall thickened)
Comments:   Approx. 5 weeks into course of VOLTAREN at dosage of 4/day, felt pain in right side which increased to severe pain within 1/2 hour. Admitted as Emergency into hospital(Australia). CT scan showed air in abdomen. Open surgery: small bowel resection - for lesion(wall thickened) plus perforation.

Voltaren review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Tooth pain, root canal procedure
Dosage & duration:   one cap every 8 hours taken one cap every 8 hours for the period of 3 days and stop b/c side effects
Other conditions:   pain and inflamation
Other drugs taken:   amoxicilin

Benefits:   Stop the pain
Side effects:   I got terrible rash all over my body, specially arms, nech, face. It was terribly itching and redness, and I havenīt notice it was because of the Voltaren taking. I just realized that when I double check the insert with the drug details... I was like a week to eliminate it from my body and have to take another prescription for the rash, an anthistaminic or antialergic.
Comments:   Just take the pills every 8 hours to tame the pain because of the root canal procedure that was done partially, not totally because of the inflamatory process.