Vicodin (Hydrocodone / Acetaminophen) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Vicodin (Hydrocodone / Acetaminophen) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 23 ratings/reviews, Vicodin has an overall score of 6.30. The effectiveness score is 8.26 and the side effect score is 6.96. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Vicodin review by 33 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   broken collarbone
Dosage & duration:   600mg taken as needed for the period of 2 weeks

Benefits:   very effective pain killer
Side effects:   constipation
Comments:   take the pills for pain

Vicodin review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Pain
Dosage & duration:   500mg taken 2 tablets every 4-6 hours for the period of 2 dosages

Benefits:   None - No pain relief
Side effects:   Vomiting and dehydration
Comments:   My doctor switched me to another pain reliever which worked.

Vicodin review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Post-Op pain
Dosage & duration:   500-1000mg taken every 4-6 hours for the period of 3 days

Benefits:   The treatment benefits of Vicodin (Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen) were relief of severe pain from surgical procedure.
Side effects:   The side effects included: extreme dizziness, nausea, and disorientation. Also experienced cold sweats.
Comments:   Vicodin (Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen) was prescribed at one to two 500mg tablets every four to six hours. The drug induced deep sleep, followed by restlessness, heavy nausea, and extremem dizziness. Discontinued use of the drug after three days due to severity of side effects.

Vicodin review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   post surgery stomach pain
Dosage & duration:   2 pills taken once for the period of one day
Other conditions:   fever

Benefits:   The pain subsided very quickly with no side effects.
Side effects:   none.
Comments:   After a surgery to remove ovarian cysts, I was left with pain in my stomach and lower back. The Hydrocodone/acetaminophen pills were prescribed and were very effective in getting rid of the pain, with no side effects.

Vicodin review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Post -surgery
Dosage & duration:   10/325 (dosage frequency: four times a day) for the period of 1 week
Other drugs taken:   Vitamins

Benefits:   Lack of pain
Side effects:   drowsiness
Comments:   Had minor surgery - very effective for the pain control.

Vicodin review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ROOT CANAL PAIN
Dosage & duration:   STANDARD DOSE (dosage frequency: every 4 to 6 hours) for the period of 1 1/2 DAYS
Other conditions:   NONE
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   Little, if any.
Side effects:   minimal pain relief, dramatic sense of disassociation from the pain, agitation.
Comments:   I found that Vicodin was a poor choice for real pain management. I felt spacey and "out of it" but at the same time agitated. I didn't feel an actual absence of pain as much as I felt "oh well, gee gosh, I have pain. Isn't that a bummer." In other words, the medication seemed to be more about changing my attitude towards the pain rather then actual reduction of pain. I subsequently stopped taking it and turned to tylenol with codeine. This worked much better in my opinion. I subsequently refused any additional prescriptions for vicodin and requested tylenol with codeine instead. I have since switched to a natural pain relief option that is a combination of white willow, feverfew, skullcap, and kelp. It is called "Relief". I believe the manufacturer is "Nature's Way." Although, I am in daily pain for assorted issues (structural) I avoid medicating myself unless it is particularly dibilitating. If I really need to take something I will take the Relief or plain Aspirin. Dramatically fewer side effects, no hazard of addiction, just as effective. Given the high level of reported addictiveness of this drug, I would never take it again nor recommend anyone else take it.

Vicodin review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   diverticulitis / kidney infection
Dosage & duration:   10/500 (dosage frequency: every 4 to 6 hours depending on the pain) for the period of almost two weeks
Other conditions:   lower back pain
Other drugs taken:   antibiotics

Benefits:   reduced the intensity of the pain and allowed for rest to recuperate
Side effects:   I had no queasiness or nausea, no jittery feelings. No hives.
Comments:   I had severe diverticulitis with a kidney infection. I was hospitalized for a week and taking antibiotics and pain medication for two weeks after my release. Of course in the hospital morphine was administered for the pain management, but hydrocodone/acetaminophen was prescribed upon my release. I took the 10/500 which was more cost effective because I was able to break them in half to be less damaging to the kidneys and liver. I have taken other pain medication which gave me hives, made me have nausea or become jittery. I had no side effects from taking this medication or addictive desires to continue it after the infection was cleared up.

Vicodin review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   cesarean
Dosage & duration:   not sure-avaerage (dosage frequency: 3 tablets) for the period of 2 days

Benefits:   I chose to take vicodin instead of an ibuprofin based pain killer because my holistic doctor believes ibuprofin slows healing time. For me, vicodin has literally no noticable side effects, of course I only took a limited amount for acute pain, which was relieved 100%.
Side effects:   I felt no palpable side effects. I also was very cautious to take no more than what I needed, not only because it can be habit forming but because it can cause constipation which was the last thing I wanted!
Comments:   I was instructed to take every eight hours however I found that I only needed a half pill and subsequently only took three pills, actually I took two and a half and stoll felt no pain.

Vicodin review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Pain from broken arm
Dosage & duration:   can't remember! (dosage frequency: every 6 hours) for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   Broken in two places, frozen shoulder

Benefits:   It took the "edge" off the pain, for sure. Without the medication I don't know how I could have put up with it.
Side effects:   I was so out of it from the one pill, mouth hanging open, drooling, to take I had to cut it in half. I also experienced digestive distress, and overall yucky feeling, not some blissfully pain free state. My arm was shattered..the bone was separated about 1/2 an inch at the upper arm, and a crack ran down a few inches to another break. It was excruciating, but the 1/2 pill was enough to dull the pain to the point where I could sleep, and make it up to go to the restroom.
Comments:   The Vicodin was for the pain of the broken arm. The arm was in a plastic type of cast and sling. After 8 weeks I was able to remove the sling but the shoulder had "frozen" by then so the physio required was just as painful!

Vicodin review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pain relief - toothache
Dosage & duration:   15mg / 750mg taken 30 tablets, to be taken as needed for the period of took it over the course of 2 months
Other conditions:   severe lower back pain

Benefits:   Acute pain in tooth subsided normally within 30 minutes, and the relief lasted 6-8 hours. Allowed me to sleep the entire night without being awakened by the return of pain. I was later prescribed Codeine after the procedure, which only dulled the pain to half intensity.
Side effects:   Mild drowsiness accompanied by a sense of well-being or euphoria. Side effects were enjoyable, so I was especially careful to take it only as needed to reduce risk of dependency. The combined effect of pain relief and "nice feelings" make this a risky drug to take if you are susceptible to addiction.
Comments:   Prescribed by my dentist to ease pain until I could have a problematic wisdom tooth extracted. Received 30 tablets to be taken as needed for pain. I took a half tablet when the pain was less severe and a whole one when I thought pain might interrupt sleep. My back went out suddenly one day and I was unable to stand or walk without excruciating pain. I took the last two Vicodin in one dose and the moment I was able, went to a clinic where the doctor chastized me for having a narcotic. The onset of pain relief was rapid, the side effects took longer to present, but when they did, they were more marked. Same amount of drowsiness, heavy limbs, and a trance-like state.

Vicodin review by 22 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   burn from motorcycle accident
Dosage & duration:   2 pills twice a day taken 2 pills twice a day for the period of 1 week

Benefits:   The treatment made the pain of the accident bareable. The paid seised for six hours before another dosage was needed.
Side effects:   The treatment was effective for reducing paid however I felt extremely depressed while taking the dosage. I had emotional swings and did not want to leave the house which is not common for me. Once I was no longer taking the drug I was back to normal.
Comments:   I took the prescription for one week when my burn started to heal.

Vicodin review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   molar extraction
Dosage & duration:   one tablet every three hours taken one week for the period of one week

Benefits:   I felt no pain from the extraction on the Vicodin.
Side effects:   While taking Vicoden, I was very dizzy and sleepy. I was unable to drive or function at a normal level.
Comments:   I was given a prescription for the first week with an option to refill. I did not refill because I was not in a lot of pain and didn't want to continue to experience the side effects.

Vicodin review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   I got my toothpulled
Dosage & duration:   1 or 2 pills as needed taken twice for the period of 1 day
Other drugs taken:   Antibiotics

Benefits:   I took the drug shortly after having my tooth pulled. I never noticed a great amount of pain, and contribute this to the laughing gas and novicane during the proceduce, and taking the vicadin shortly after the procedure. I took the vicadin drug twice because after several hours I started to feel pain again. It was effective in reliefing my pain.
Side effects:   After taking the drug, I became sick to my stomach. I threw up everything that I had consumed prior to the procedure. This feeling stayed with me for several hours. I initally thought I was sick, because I did not eat when I took the first dosage. I then took another dose, but this time I made myself eat a little something, (I could not eat much at this point), but it mattered not...I got sick again. I threw the rest of the presciption out.
Comments:   The prescription was given to me prior to having my tooth pulled. I never filled the prescription because I really did not notice any pain. After the procedure, I immediately went to have the prescription filled. I took the medication while I was still numb from the novicane. As the novicane wore off, and the two tablets I took wore off, I took the vicadine once again.

Vicodin review by 19 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   tendonitis pain
Dosage & duration:   200mg taken 2x day for the period of 1 month

Benefits:   I took vicodin for pain in my wrist but i had to stop because it would give me a headache everytime i took it. So i can't really say there were any benefits to it, because eventough it helped with the wrist pain, the headaches were worse.
Side effects:   see above
Comments:   This was prescribed by a physical therapist. I was also receiving the physical therapy for my wrist pain, which was from work related injury.(repetitive overuse). The pain killer was to help with the pain from just moving my hands.

Vicodin review by 35 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   shoulder & neck pain
Dosage & duration:   5/500 mg taken 1 tablet/day for the period of 1 day

Benefits:   None. Vicodin is a narcotic for severe pain. I was prescribed it after weeks of physical therapy and ibuprophin did not reduce the pain in my shoulder and neck following a ski crash.
Side effects:   Much to my dismay, the drug made me feel extremely nauseated. Though I did not actually throw up, I felt like it for a day. Furthermore, the pain in my neck and shoulder did not improve. Even if it had, I would have discontinued Vicodin anyway.
Comments:   My doctor did not mention any possible side effects, nor did he tell me it is a narcotic. Apparently, it is a drug of abuse. Also, nausea is a common side effect. I was only told that it was a pain killer that would alleviate my discomfort.

Vicodin review by 68 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   herniated disc
Dosage & duration:   5/500 (dosage frequency: 1 every 4-6 hrs) for the period of 3 weeks

Benefits:   Low back pain would almost be completely relieved about 40 mins. after taking Vicodin. With severe pain, I took 1 1/2 tablets which helped.
Side effects:   Made be slightly sleepy but was able to function normally.
Comments:   Along with taking Vicodin as prscribed, I had physical therapy about twice a week. Vicodin was particularily helpful at night. Before going to bed, I took one or one and a half tablets and was able to sleep quite well. Otherwise, I was very uncomfortable and was losing sleep.

Vicodin review by 64 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Pain after surgery
Dosage & duration:   1-2 tabs every 4 hours taken every 4 hours for the period of 2 days

Benefits:   The treatment results were successful. The prescription took the pain away.
Side effects:   There were no side effects.
Comments:   I had a facelift and the doctor prescribed this drug for any pain associated with the surgery. I only had to take the medication for approximately two days, possibly 3 but it was totally effective as a pain killer. I would take it again.

Vicodin review by 46 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Periodontal surgery
Dosage & duration:   (1) 7.5/750 TB every 4-6 hours (dosage frequency: once or twice a day) for the period of 3-4 days
Other drugs taken:   prescription mouth rinse

Benefits:   There was a significant reduction in mouth pain. I was able to relax following periodontal surgey and not worry about family obligations and responsibilities.
Side effects:   I had drowsiness, dizziness, ichy at night with some nausea and dizziness in the mornings.
Comments:   I was prescribed vicoden in case I had measurable pain following peridontal gum surgery. I was presribed to take the Vicoden PRN for pain every 4-6 hours.

Vicodin review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pain
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 4 x a day for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   Reduced pain ability to move about with better ease and comfort.
Side effects:   drowsiness dry mouth sleeping more comfortably euphoria light sensitivity reduced hunger irritability dependance on narcotics to feel comfortable after 30 days had to be weaned off drug
Comments:   take a pill 4 times a day until pain stops excersize lightly until muscles can rebuild and provide easier movement and flexibility

Vicodin review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pain management
Dosage & duration:   500 mg taken every 4 to 6 hours as needed for the period of 2 days
Other conditions:   Strep infection and ear infection
Other drugs taken:   Ibuprofin

Benefits:   Initial dose was highly effective for pain relief. It took effect within 30 minutes and lasted several hours.
Side effects:   No side effects were experienced while taking it.
Comments:   Vicodin and Ibuprofin were prescribed together for the management of pain. The initial dose was highly effective and lasted several hours, however, each subsequent dose resulted in only moderate pain relief and produced a "foggy" feeling. I do not feel that I would have been capable of driving while taking vicodin. I would most likely not take it again.

Vicodin review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   nausea, headaches, dizziness
Dosage & duration:   5 mg ????? taken as needed for pain for the period of 3 days

Benefits:   reactions over-road the benefits. I will simply say that I did not think I received benefits from this particular drug. There are other pain inhibitors that worked as well as the vicodin with out the druggy feelings and sickness.
Side effects:   headaches, nausea, druggy feelings, heaviness, just an overall sense of malaise. Felt like I was in a drug induced stupor. Very uncomfortable and unacceptable.
Comments:   to control pain after surgery

Vicodin review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Surgery recovery
Dosage & duration:   As needed (dosage frequency: i took it as needed / tolerated) for the period of About a week

Benefits:   Relieved pain, helped me fall asleep
Side effects:   I had severe constipation and nausea, along with some onfusion, dizziness, and cramping.
Comments:   I stopped taking Vicodin and switched to over the counter tylenol as a remedy because the side effects were so severe and negative. I was constantly, severely nauseated after taking Vicodin. My body did not tolerate this drug well at all.

Vicodin review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   post hemorrhoidectomy
Dosage & duration:   5-15 mg/every 4 hrs taken every 4 hrs for the period of 1 day
Other conditions:   MCS

Benefits:   Eliminated severe pain post surgery
Side effects:   Caused dry heave vomiting
Comments:   Vomiting to the point of dry heaving is just not acceptable, for one, keeping the medication or anything down can't happen and for two, well putting that kind of pressure on the hemorrhoidectomy surgery site is not a good thing at all. My doctor said to keep taking the medication, but I don't think his brain was working. Dry heaves means you have vomited up your bile and NOTHING is staying down and you are still heaving nothing. That was my body's "reaction" to vicodin, it was like poison to me.