Valtrex (Valacyclovir) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Valtrex (Valacyclovir) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 28 ratings/reviews, Valtrex has an overall score of 8.68. The effectiveness score is 8.71 and the side effect score is 8.57. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Valtrex review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   shingles
Dosage & duration:   1000 mg (generic) taken 4 times a day for the period of still taking at 800 mg 3 times a day
Other conditions:   developed Ramsay-Hunt syndrome prior to mega doses of acyclovir
Other drugs taken:   acupril 20 mg od, estratest hs od

Benefits:   Prior to starting 1000 mg acyclovir QID, I was taking the standard 200 mg 5 times a day regimin. I devloped the shingles in the 5th cranial nerve. I had lesions following the entire nerve roots across my face, but had them internally as well. There were lesions in the ear canal, the side of my tongue and down my throat. I had taken a flu shot and had exposure to sun, as well as starting 2 new jobs about the same time as the first onset. I developed 1 blister which I thought was herpes. I had not had a herpes outbreak in years. I started the acyclovir and noticed more and different complaints every day. I first got a lesion on the entrance to the ear canal and more accompanying the first one on my lower chin. Then my lower teeth began to become painful, as if I had a great toothache. After about 4 days, I began to feel exhausted and unable to snap out of my fatigue. The next day I awoke and had a sensation that my mouth was not fully moving. Later the eye began to remain open and would not blink. The 3rd day of these symtoms, I devloped total paralysis of the left face. I saw 1 of my doctors immediately. He gave me a cortisone shot and told me the dose of acyclovir to take. He said it was bell's palsey. A friend called and said it was Ramsay-Hunt. I was on bedrest from Mid October until 2 weeks ago. I have very little stamina, and slowly I am getting more energy. The latest addition to my medication arsenal was Alpha-lipoic acid. I had statrted lysine and red marine algae. I stopped coffe, soda, most meat and ate only what little I cooked or made myself. I am pleased that most of my facial functions have returned, with the exception of the eye bliking completely, and a slight difference in my smile. I take at least 1 dose of ibuprophen every day due to neuralgia or a sense of swelling in my left face.
Side effects:   I did not notice any.
Comments:   acyclovir, rest. PRN doses of ibuprophen. Tape eye shut and use of moisture drops.

Valtrex review by 31 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   500mg taken once per day for the period of 1 month

Benefits:   Was taking this drug for herpes suppression. It is recommended by some to take an antiviral for one year after the initial outbreak so as to have less outbreaks over one's lifetime. I did get an outbreak while on the drug, however it was during a very stressful time so that is understandable. Also, it is nice that only one dose is needed per day for most people.
Side effects:   Side effects included mild hair loss (had much more hair loss on acyclovir), random dry heaving (retching) for no apparent reason, and headaches. Although it seems that when I drink lots of water the headaches are fewer.
Comments:   Took one pill per day at the same time everyday. It does and will stain things so be careful of the blue dye.

Valtrex review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   herpes
Dosage & duration:   ? (dosage frequency: once weekly) for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   With the valtrex I was treat coldsores only and could aviod break outs yr long. If i stopped I was garenteed to get one
Side effects:   I was taking them on an empty stomach and developed ulsers and Heart burn, acid reflux
Comments:   pill form, once a day. But now because of side affects I only take it once a week or when needed.

Valtrex review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Chronic Cold Sores
Dosage & duration:   4 Tablets then another 4 in 12 hours taken first sign of the cold sore for the period of 3 Separate Break Outs

Benefits:   The first time I took it the cold sore ended up just slightly smaller than they usually are. The second time it was about 1/2 the size. The third time it got red and itchy but it didn't actually blister. The forth time I didn't take the medication because it was only the size of a small pimple. I used to get them about every 4 to 6 weeks but the last one came about 4 months after the previous one.
Side effects:   No side effects at all.
Comments:   You take 4 pills as soon as you can tell the cold sore is beginning and then 4 pills 12 hours later.

Valtrex review by 40 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   herpes
Dosage & duration:   500 mg taken 2 times a day for the period of 10 days

Benefits:   To lessen the severity of an onset or outbreak of genital herpes.
Side effects:   I had no noticable side effects to taking the medication.
Comments:   I started taking the medication at the first signs of an outbreak (usually a brief sharp pain at the site). The medication seemed to shorten the actual outbreak time and lessened the pain and discomfort.

Valtrex review by 42 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   genital herpes
Dosage & duration:   1 pill per day taken once a day for the period of three years and ongoing

Benefits:   After having this virus for many years I resolved that I was going to look for a possible suppressant. As the medical community acknowledges once you have contacted the virus it will be awaiting an opportunity to break through - especially in times of stress or tiredness. Prior to taking Valtrex I was having a viral herpes attack for about 10 days at a time at least four times a year, sometimes 8 times a year. Valtrex is an amazing drug! My experience has been that if you take a tablet each day you will not transmit the virus to your partner provided that you pay attention to the first signs of the virus and abstain from intimate sexual encounters for five days or so or until you can feel or see no more signs of the virus. To be honest it frustrates me that so many people suffer from this virus but are not informed as to how to treat the problem. Hope this helps and gives encouragement. For me it has been on par with a miracle. Since taking the drug once daily I have had one only one potential outbreak in the past two and a half years- at the onset of the potential outbreak I increased the dose to 3 tablets a day twice a day day for four days. This treatment suppressed the outbreak and the symptoms which I felt appeared very slightly and then disappeared within 48 hours.
Side effects:   To be honest I have had no side effects that I can determine.
Comments:   1 tablet a day in the morning. If symptoms beginning 3 tablets three times a day for 5 days or until symptoms have disappeared.

Valtrex review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   cold sores
Dosage & duration:   4 tablets by mouth/twice daily taken whenever i felt a coldsore coming on for the period of have been using for 3 years

Benefits:   as soon as I took my first dose, as long as it was during the pre-sore/tingling stage, and continued to my second dose .... my cold sore never really appeared. Or, if my coldsore had already started ... and I took my valtrex, the "blister" would not get any larger and would go away in half the time if I wasn't taking this medication
Side effects:   There were no side effects at all.
Comments:   Same as the treatment benefits. Preventative, if I could catch the coldsore before it broke thru, as well as successful in reducing the length of time and size of the coldsore itself.

Valtrex review by 54 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   500 mg taken 1 per day for the period of still taking it

Benefits:   It drastically reduced breakouts all over my body therefore I did not constantly have flu like symptoms because of the breakouts. So even under stressful life events which usually results with a breakout the Valtrax stopped or reduced the frequency of breakouts. So far I have only been taking 1 per day and I have not had any breakouts for a month.
Side effects:   It initially made me feel tired and lethargic. I believe it contributed to a short bout of stomach upset and heavy bowel movements however this problem subsided fairly quickly. I think it also contributes to my eyes feeling dryer than usual. Since I am post menopausal dry eyes is a huge problem.
Comments:   I was supposed to take 2 tablets a day 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. I followed this regimen for 1 and a half weeks then I decided to reduce the dosage myself to 1 per day. I checked with the ND and she said that protocol could be followed unless I felt that I was going to have a breakout then go back to 2 a day. I can take up to 4 per day if needed however so far the 1 per day has worked well for me.

Valtrex review by 25 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   500 mg taken twice a day for the period of 7 days

Benefits:   Valtrex tablets work by stopping the multiplication of the virus which causes herpes. They can reduce the length and severity of an outbreak of herpes, the duration of pain and shorten the time to healing of crusts associated with herpes. Valtrex tablets help the blisters to heal more quickly. If you start taking them as soon as you feel an outbreak starting, you may actually prevent the blisters from developing.
Side effects:   I did not have any "observable" or noticeable side effects while taking Valtrex. However, I was forewarned that Valtrex has the following side effects: headache, gastrointestinal discomfort such as vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea,constipation, abdominal pain,indigestion). Also because I was taking Valtrex to prevent outbreaks triggered by laser treatments, I was advised that Valtrex causes sensitivity to UV light and my skin would be much more vulnerable to sunburn even during very short exposure to UV light.
Comments:   I took Valtrex before a laser treatment to prevent the outbreak of cold sores or herpes virus. The first laser treatment without taking Valtrex caused a herpes/cold sores breakout on my face around the chin area. After consulting with my physician, he prescribed Valtrex to prevent the outbreaks in future laser treatments. I learned that the laser triggered the herpes outbreak, since the virus is in a dormant state until it is disturbed and activated by the laser. I was prescribed 500 mg of Valtrex to be taken 3 days before the treatment, the day of the treatment and three days after the treatment, for a total of seven days. I took the medication twice a day and started this seven day regime each and every time I had a laser treatment to prevent any outbreaks.

Valtrex review by 27 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Cold sores
Dosage & duration:   500mg taken as needed for the period of indefinitely

Benefits:   This particular treatment effectively eliminated all visible symptoms of oral herpes. In my case, the symptoms were increasingly worse. I would have an outbreak every two months that would last 14-18 days. Since treatment, I have not had one outbreak. Two years and counting.
Side effects:   Fatigue, and possible water retention. I, nor my doctor monitored water retention or weight gain, but I am fairly self-aware. The doctor did mention possible fatigue and/or nausea.
Comments:   Taken as needed when stress levels increase or over-exposure to sun.

Valtrex review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Facial Herpes Simplex
Dosage & duration:   500 mg twice a day taken as needed, not regularly for the period of As needed for 6 years

Benefits:   By taking the pills anytime I feel the vaguest possibility that I might be getting a cold sore, I was able to reduce the number of outbreaks. The outbreaks that I do have (if, for example, I don't take the Valtrex in time) seem not as bad as they would be without the Valtrex. The outbreaks seem somehow less... viral. As in, the sores may still form, but the entire process of blistering/opening/scabbing doesn't feel quite as much like my face is a nuclear radiation site.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I get horrible outbreaks in the center of my chin-- usually 5-8 sores clustered together all at once; really awful-looking. I'm aware of the things that trigger them, so when I realize there's a chance I might have an outbreak, even if I haven't felt the tingling yet, I'll take a couple of Valtrex and then I don't have an outbreak at all. I can't say for sure that it's the Valtrex stopping it (i.e. maybe I wouldn't have had an outbreak anyway in some cases) but it seems that way to me, and in any case it's nice to have some sense of control over the situation. Even though my outbreaks are awful, they only happen about 2x/year so I haven't felt it necessary to take the daily preventative pills.

Valtrex review by 36 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Cold sore on side of face
Dosage & duration:   500 mg taken 1 tablet 2 times a day for the period of 7 days

Benefits:   Drastically reduced the amount of time the cold sores were present on the side of face. Medication also made the cold sore break out less servere.
Side effects:   Side effects included initial headache until the body got used to the medication. Some dizziness and nausea was experienced, but minor.
Comments:   Treatment included medication 2 times a day. Instructions were to keep the area around the cold sore clean and to not touch the cold sore directly with hands. This would ensure the spread of the cold sores was minimized.

Dosage & duration:   500mg taken 1 per day for the period of 3 years
Other drugs taken:   Multi Vitamin

Benefits:   I used to have at least 3 herpes outbreaks in the course of a year. These would interfere with personal time with my spouse, backpacking trips, day to day comfort. In the time I have taken Valtrex I have not had one outbreak, and don't have to think about it any longer.
Side effects:   In the first weeks 2-3 I would have frequent low grade headaches, and a generally tired feeling. But after I got used to the medication I didn't have any side effects.
Comments:   Took one 500mg pill every morning. That's it.

Valtrex review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Herpes
Dosage & duration:   unsure (dosage frequency: once per day) for the period of 2 weeks

Benefits:   The product was used to clear up a primary outbreak of herpes. It was said to speed up the process of healing. I took the product for the prescribed amount of time and can say that it did shorten the timeframe in half.
Side effects:   The first coupel of day, there was nausausness and some tiredness.
Comments:   take one pill orally once per day for two weeks.

Valtrex review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   herpes cold sores around mouth and nose
Dosage & duration:   2,000MG day and night for one day taken a couple times a month for the period of 10 years

Benefits:   When I feel or see the signs of a cold sore coming, I take the valtrex and it is gone without a trace within 24 hours.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   You need to take the valtrex immediately after feeling the start of a sore for maximum effectiveness. If you wait until you have a red lump or blister, the valtrex will speed the healing, but will not eliminate the sore, which may last 7-10 days.

Valtrex review by 30 year old female patient

Other conditions:   chronic gastritis
Other drugs taken:   topical acyclovir ointment+multivitamins

Benefits:   The sores became much less painful very soon, on the 2nd day. Overall, the healing was much faster, and there were only two pills a day to take (not 2 x 3 times a day, like with old-times Acyclovir), which was convenient
Side effects:   As I have a chronic gastritis, my stomach rarely agrees with oral treatments, so I felt minor irritation, a bit of heartburn, but nothing serious
Comments:   I had had herpes for years before I was prescribed Valtrex (previous treatments were Acyclovir). It was prescribed on the second day after the sores appeared and I noticed the improvement the next day - the pain was almost gone. I took two pills per day, one in the morning and one in the evening, for 7 days, after which the remission was longer than the previous ones (sometimes, the outbreaks happened as often as every two weeks), about two months. After that, I started taking 2 pills of Valtrex the day I started feeling the outbreak (a nasty, gnawing feeling in the area where the sores would appear) and if it does not prevent the outbreak entirely, it lasts much shorter, is much less painful, and each time the remissions are rather long.

Valtrex review by 66 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   cold sore/fever blister (herpes-simplex)
Dosage & duration:   1 GM (dosage frequency: 2 tabs, 2xday) for the period of 1 day

Benefits:   I took this medication, Valtrex, upon first experiencing the sensation of tingling and itching symptoms associated with the onset of the beginning of a cold sore/fever blisters (herpes-simplex) outbreak on my face which I had experienced many times before - usually once a year. The next day after taking valtrex as prescribed, redness of the area affected on my face did develop and a blister did appear to be forming, but the affected area had ceased to itch. By the second day, there had been no further development of redness or additional blistering as there would have been in previous times before taking this medication. On the third day, the redness and initial sign of blister formation had diminshed even further. By the fifth day after taking this medication, there were no longer any signs or symptoms of what had started out to be, as I had experienced in my previous cold sore outbreaks, a 10 to 12 day spell of uncomfortable and unsightly fever blisters. This medication made a real and positive difference for me in the development, disconfort and duration of the symptoms of a cold sore/fever blisters (herpes-simplex) outbreak.
Side effects:   No negative side effects were experienced.
Comments:   Take two tablets by mouth with water twice daily for one day.

Valtrex review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   herpes zoster
Dosage & duration:   500mg taken x2 daily for the period of 5 days

Benefits:   The medication stops the pain and puts an end to the condition if taken soon enough
Side effects:   I felt fatigued but this could be just a symptom of the condition.
Comments:   I had little spots (blisters unbeknownst to me) on the side of my face which itched and burned terribly. This was about the size of a quarter. I thought I had some sort of insect bite and just ignored it until it got worse and I felt so tired and sick that I went to the dr. He took a culture but at that point he didn't think there was anything to test but prescribed Valtrex. I took it immediately and within a day felt relief. After a couple of days I felt a million times better. I have had one or 2 re-occurances over the last 10 years and I make sure I always have Valtrex on hand just in case. It is a terrible condition and I am thankful for Valtrex as it seems to stop it in its tracks.

Condition / reason:   cold sores
Dosage & duration:   4 pills 2 x's in 12 hrs (500mg each) taken 2 times in 12 hr peroid for the period of one day
Other conditions:   tired, rundown, low immune system
Other drugs taken:   just birth control pills

Benefits:   If drug is taken at very first sign/symptom of cold sore, the drug will elliminate it within that day. If the cold sore has fully surfaced it will still help to speed healing (usually within a week). This medication is not a cure for cold sores.
Side effects:   I have not noticed any side effects and have been taking this drug for a couple of years. It is important to note, there is no cure for cold sores (herpes). I don't know how the drug works but it seems if I am run down over the course of several weeks I may have to take the drug several times to keep a cold sore from surfacing.
Comments:   When you first feel a cold sore coming on take 4 pills with water, wait 10 to 12 hrs and then take another 4 pills. I have heard of people taking a daily maintenace dose that should ensure you never see a break out of blisters appearing, however, if not on a drug program, this would be very expensive, and depending on how many times you tend to break out, probably not necessary.

Valtrex review by 29 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   genital herpes
Dosage & duration:   2 grams (dosage frequency: twice daily) for the period of 3 days (for two different occasions)

Benefits:   Shortened duration of herpes outbreak.
Side effects:   No side effects were noticed. The outbreak itself usually can have body aches and fever.
Comments:   At the first sign of a possible outbreak I would beging taking the medication. It would be taken twice daily for three days. Discussed possible daily dosage if outbreaks became more frequent. I decided to try a more natural approach with Lysine taken at any signs with very similar results.

Condition / reason:   Cold Sores
Dosage & duration:   500 mg daily taken once per day for the period of 8 months
Other conditions:   heavy bleeding during periods
Other drugs taken:   Birth control

Benefits:   It definitely reduced the size and severity of the cold sore but now I get the more frequently. Like twice a month!!
Side effects:   ocassional diarrhea and headache.
Comments:   I began getting cold sores about 5 years ago, when I was 35. I would get them 3-4 times per year, especially when the weather changed. My doctor prescribed me a 1mg tablet to take 2 of them in the morning and 2 at night at the onset of a cold sore. It helped but the sore still ran its ugly course, even if I caught it right at the tingling point before it came out. When I was 38, I went on birth control. After about a year of being on Yaz, I began getting cold sores EVERY MONTH! I told my doctor but she didn't think it was from the birth control - even though I read that BC suppresses your immune system, and anything that does that can allow for more instances of cold sores. I went off the Yaz for 2 months, and STILL got cold sores during those two months. So maybe she was right. She then prescribed Valtrez 500mg once per day and I've been taking that since 9/09. Still, like clockwork I get a cold sore every single month. Either right before during or after my period. So I think it's hormonal. something is triggering them every month. I've changed my diet completely, I take 4,000mg of Lsyine each day, I've tried the Red Marine Algae also. No difference. I'm a high stress personality anyway which doesn't help. My doctor prescribed a mild sedative just to take the edge off and it does work great. But still, the cold sores come like clockwork. I just don't get it. I'm starting a new job soon where I'll actually have to go to an office each day. for the last 10 years I've been a road warrior, so I've been able to get around having to see people by making my own hours, especially if a cold sore errupts. Now I don't know what I'll do. It scares me and I'm stressed over that as well which doesn't help. I feel plagued! I don't know what else to try. Maybe Acyclovir?

Valtrex review by 30 year old female patient

Other conditions:   chronic gastritis
Other drugs taken:   topical acyclovir ointment+multivitamins

Benefits:   the sores disappeared much sooner than with regular treatments (acyclovir) and the pain disappeared the next day.
Side effects:   Due to my chronic gastritis, I had minor stomach aches but nothing too bad
Comments:   The treatment was started on the second day of the sore outbreak, and I noticed the effect very quickly: the next day I felt barely any pain and the sore disappeared much faster than usual (about 4-5 days overall vs the previous 7-9 days)

Valtrex review by 34 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   cold sores
Dosage & duration:   4 pills in a 24 hour period taken 2 pills a day for two days for the period of just when needed

Benefits:   Decreased symptoms
Side effects:   Didnt feel any side effects.
Comments:   I've been suffering from cold sores all my life, usually getting one after a cold in the winter season. If my stress levels are up i usually get one as well either under my nose or on my lips. After finally using valtex my symptoms were reduced to 7 days. Prior to that i would be suffering for almost 3 weeks with theses bad boys!!!! Key to survival, take this pill as soon as u feel the tingle, if not it will come just not as bad.

Valtrex review by 17 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Coldsores
Dosage & duration:   500mg taken once a day for the period of one week
Other conditions:   Coldsores
Other drugs taken:   synthroid,birth control

Benefits:   I always have at least three cold sores either inside my mouth or on my lips. I started this medicine while I had a cold sore with the help of the medicine and the Abreva the pain was decreased and it went away a lot faster.
Side effects:   The first time I took this medicine was during the day and I had to run errands and I was very dizzy and I kept having dry heaves, so I had decided to take it at night and I was still up last night with nausea.
Comments:   Once a day, everyday for the next four months to see how well it works.

Valtrex review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Recurring Cold Sores
Dosage & duration:   2 pills initially, 2 more 12 hours later taken only when got cold sore for the period of 2 doses

Benefits:   This works EVERY time I get a cold sore. Stops the cold sore in it's tracks, immediately!!! Took one at first sign of tingling. Now that I have a prescription, I rarely get them anymore.
Side effects:   No side effects, cold sores disappeared.
Comments:   Take two 1 gram tablets at first sign of cold sore, take 2 more 12 hours later. That's it... cold sore is completely gone!

Valtrex review by 40 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Cold Sores
Dosage & duration:   2000 mg twice per day, for 1 day taken 1 day for the period of 2 yrs

Benefits:   Significantly diminished the symptoms and size of the cold sore. Often, it would halt the development and the redness and swelling would disappear after a day or two, without the sore blistering/weeping/scabbing. For my body, Valtrex has proven to be far more effective than either Famvir, or Zoviraz. It is surprising how many people either do not treat cold sores, or are not aware of any new treatments after Zovirax.
Side effects:   Slight dizziness and tiredness, very minor.
Comments:   2x 1000mg tablets every 12 hours for 1 day.

Valtrex review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Genital herpes
Dosage & duration:   500mg taken twice a day for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   No
Other drugs taken:   Tea tree Oil

Benefits:   soothing
Side effects:   Dizziness
Comments:   I got it from a girl I was dating on and off who didnít tell me until I confronted her about it she denied it at first but came clean after about a week. The first month was the hardest, not knowing what to expect or how people would treat me. After I joined HerpresFish.com, I learned to except my situation and not let it burden my life. To those who are new to this it gets better after time less stress equals less outbreaks. I want to commend HerpesFish.com for giving people like us a platform to share or stories with people living with the same conditions.

Valtrex review by 30 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Cold sores
Dosage & duration:   2000 mg taken once per outbreak for the period of Once per outbreak

Benefits:   Mega-dosage of Valtrex upon the first symptoms and signs of a cold sore typically effectively reduced and or eliminated the actual appearance and break out of cold sores.
Side effects:   Very few side effects were experienced. Slight upset stomach and loose stools were occasionally experienced.
Comments:   Prescribed Valtrex for regular outbreak of cold sores. Was told to take extra dosage upon first signs of outbreak.