Vagifem (Estradiol Vaginal) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Vagifem (Estradiol Vaginal) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 6 ratings/reviews, Vagifem has an overall score of 7.67. The effectiveness score is 9.33 and the side effect score is 8.33. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Vagifem review by 62 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   vaginal dryness
Dosage & duration:   25 mcg tablet taken twice a week for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   After menopause, I experienced painful intercourse and some bleeding caused by vaginal dryness. I tried over-the-counter lubricants including suppositories but found them to be inconsistent and they also masked sensitivity in the vaginity area.
Side effects:   Vagifem has little side effects. I occasionally notice some discharge. I also feel bloated for a day or so after inserting.
Comments:   The small tablet is inserted vaginally twice a week. It's recommended that you do so at the same time of day. Twice a week is somewhat difficult to keep track of. Does that mean every 3 days or every 4 days? It involves marking treatment down on a calendar to maintain a regular schedule.

Vagifem review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   vaginal dryness, menopausal symptoms
Dosage & duration:   25 mcg (dosage frequency: every day for 2 weeks, then twice a week) for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   hot flashes

Benefits:   This is a miracle drug for me, got rid of vaginal dryness, and even got rid of hot flashes, even though the estrogen dose is so low! Would recommend to anybody.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Took it for two weeks every day, and then twice a week for maintenance - this is just enough. Too bad that it does not come in the cream form as well - would be more convenient then the suppository.

Vagifem review by 65 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   chronic urinary and yeast infections due to drynes
Dosage & duration:   25 mcg (dosage frequency: 1 x wk) for the period of 3 yrs and ongoing
Other conditions:   eczema

Benefits:   Before the use of vagifem tablets, I had to endure a series of urinary infections after sometimes painful sexual intercourse. I also had painful cracks in mucoal lining of vulva due to aging and dryness. After beginning the use of this drug, I found that the ncreased mucous in vagina resolved both of these problems.
Side effects:   diminished disposable income
Comments:   Insert 1 tablet vaginally once weekly

Vagifem review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Vaginal Dryness and Urinary Tract Infections
Dosage & duration:   25mcg Twice a week (dosage frequency: 25mcg twice a week) for the period of 18 months

Benefits:   Using Vagifem for the first 18 months was brilliant. It increased lubrication and stopped the continual urethral soreness I had (and when passing water). It made everything feel normal again.
Side effects:   During the first 18 months I noticed slight water retention when I used it, and my hot flushes also came back to a lesser degree. Then recently I got a new batch of Vagifem, and I had a horrible allergic reaction - dizziness, sinus pain, severe palpitations and panic. My eyes, hands and feet went really puffy and it made my vagina and urinary tract really sore. I've since tried another new batch with the same problems. This is so disappointing. I've gone back to an older batch with no problems (except that I've now run out!). The manufacturers have changed something, and I wish they would change it back to the original formulation.
Comments:   25mcg Twice a week

Vagifem review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Postmenopausal Vaginal Atrophy
Dosage & duration:   25 (dosage frequency: twice a week) for the period of 9 months
Other drugs taken:   Lexotan 6mg

Benefits:   Took all the terrible pain burning throbbing swelling paper cuts and constant Urination and pressure felt like id been hit inside was sore all the time even with out sex it was there constant pain around my Vaginal opening like a burn or sratch and inside too my genitals inner labia and clitoral hood have shrunk Ive been postmeno for 15 years Sex became almost normal except for entering Id say it worked 95% some days and 100% others
Side effects:   Not much BUT after 9 months my original symptoms seem to be returning Not slowly its happend almost overnight and I have no idea why?
Comments:   I took 1 every night for 3 weeks then every second night for 2 weeks then one twice a week

Vagifem review by 65 year old female patient