TRI-Luma (Fluocinolone / Hydroquinone / Tretinoin) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are TRI-Luma reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 14 ratings/reviews, TRI-Luma has an overall score of 4.86. The effectiveness score is 5 and the side effect score is 6. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

TRI-Luma review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Melasma
Dosage & duration:   apply topically 3 times per day (dosage frequency: 3 times per day) for the period of two weeks
Other conditions:   dry skin

Benefits:   no visible benefits
Side effects:   Severly dry, flaky skin redness and sensitivity in the area burning and stinging intense itching
Comments:   Was to apply Tri-Luma 3x per day to upper lip region with dermal melasma. Treatment caused side effects that were very unbecoming and very uncomfortable, so I stopped application after two weeks of discomfort with no apparent results in the lightening of the melasma.

TRI-Luma review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   facial hyperpigmentation
Dosage & duration:   daily application of cream (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   acne

Benefits:   less acne, brown spots somewhat faded
Side effects:   redness, dryness cortisone-withdrawal rash hyperpigmentation recurred quickly after discontinuation, seemed even worse
Comments:   daily application of cream to face

TRI-Luma review by 36 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne, melasma
Dosage & duration:   4% hydroquinone .05% tretinoin (dosage frequency: once, at bedtime) for the period of 6 weeks
Other drugs taken:   birth control, synthroid

Benefits:   lightning of dark pigments
Side effects:   some dry skin especially under eye area
Comments:   Applied once at night as directed. Applied sunscreen in morning of SPF 30. Some dark pigmentation was lightened significantly but some places didn't lighten enough to go unnoticed. Acne was not helped, suprisingly, but the treatment did not make it worse either. Overall skin appearance looked more uniform.

TRI-Luma review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hyperpigmentation
Dosage & duration:   1% 4% 0.5% (dosage frequency: prn) for the period of 8 weeks
Other conditions:   dermititis
Other drugs taken:   benzaclin

Benefits:   lightening of acne scars
Side effects:   redness, dryness, breakdown of skin
Comments:   this topical compound was used to reduce hyperpigmentation of skin. the medication was suggested for nightly use but the adverse effects were too intense, and the drug could not be tolerated but few times per week for the duration of 8 weeks.

TRI-Luma review by 36 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1% (dosage frequency: nightly) for the period of 1 month
Other conditions:   fine lines and wrinkles

Benefits:   After pregnancy my upper lip remainedmarked with dark spots - melasma. My Dermatologist prescribed Tri-Luma cream to lighten the spots and also said it would help redice the appearance of my wrinkles.
Side effects:   A few days after use my skin started peeling where I had been using the cream. The cream had an unpleasant odor.
Comments:   After pregnancy my upper lip remainedmarked with dark spots - melasma. My Dermatologist prescribed Tri-Luma cream to lighten the spots and also said it would help redice the appearance of my wrinkles. I used the cream each night. The texture was thick and the smell was not appealing. A few days after use my skin started peeling where I had been using the cream. The peeling was annoying as I would constantly have to put moisturizer on to stick the skin back down. After a month of dilligent nightly usage I did not notice a lightening of my dark spots nor any reduction in my wrinkles. Perhaps with continued use my spots would have lightened but honestly, I couldn't stand walking around with skin peels hanging off my face. The Dr should have advised me about the peeling. I was very dissappointed as this prescription cream cost $100.

TRI-Luma review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   skin spots
Dosage & duration:   one dot one time per day (dosage frequency: every two days) for the period of two months
Other drugs taken:   effexsor

Benefits:   My skin was lighter in the area where I put Tri-luma. The dark spot never did completely go away.
Side effects:   I experienced excessive peeling and sensitivity to Triluma. The area where I applied it was sensitive to light.
Comments:   I took one dot once a day in the evening before I went to bed. I used no other creams on my face. I took it every other day.

TRI-Luma review by 23 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   Melasma
Dosage & duration:   1 dime sized dot (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 7 days

Benefits:   My melasma improved considerably, which speaks to the efficacy of the treament because I only used it for 7 days.
Side effects:   My skin started flaking all over my face (not just on the application sites). The flaking is similar to normal dry skin symptoms. I also developed very minor scabby areas below my eyes, just above the cheek application site. The corners of my mouth turned red and became irritated, which was annoying and unbecoming.
Comments:   I basically bought Tri Luma to treat a cosmetic issue. It helped relieve the problem a bit, but it created additionaly cosmetic problems. I am more embarrassed by the redness at my mouth than I am by the discoloration...actually, I don't know which is worse. I do not know if I would recommend the product to those with normal skin, but I would definitely not recommend it to those with sensitive skin.

TRI-Luma review by 33 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   Melasma
Dosage & duration:   A little amount (dosage frequency: twice a week) for the period of 4 times
Other conditions:   overall healthy
Other drugs taken:   Nothing

Benefits:   I've not got any benefits. I've just spoiled my skin and pigment spots look now dark brown and they are very obvious.
Side effects:   1. Redness; 2. Burning; 3. Red spots; 4. Pigment spots look darker. 5. Skin is very sensitive. I can't put a Sunscreen on at all. 6. Possibility to develop skin cancer! 7. Bad experience for $200!!!
Comments:   Hi! I am a russian (european race) who has migrated from Sweden to the USA. I have developed melasma (dark spots) under my eyes and on my forehead. I visited a dermatologist in the USA, FL about 1 month ago. He prescribed me Tri Luma that contains 4% of Hudroquinone. Have you ever read about Hydroquinone?- I asked him. As I investigated it I found the information that hydroquinone has been banned in many european countries including France, Sweden and Russia etc, for concerns about increased cancer risk.The FDA admitted that the risk of using the drug is not known and more testing needs to be done.In fact, the FDA also warned that hydroquinone has been linked to a condition that disfigures the skin. Anyway,I tried the cream, a sample that the doctor gave to me. He prescribed to use it twice a week - Mondays and Fridays. It was terrible!!! I used it just once a week on my pigment spots because my skin got red, burning and after 1 week it was peeling. Some doctors prescribe to use it once, twice a day!!! I put it on only once a week. Ok, after 1 month, 4 treatments I have the result: my pigment spots have not been improved at all. Moreover, the skin is burnt and now I have very obvious dark red-brown spots. I really look terrible. I can't put on any sunscreen because the skin is damaged by Tri Luma. I am so happy that I didn't buy the full size cream which costs $200 and the insurance doesn't cover it. I don't want to buy cancer for $200. Thanks. I've also contacted russian and swedish doctors. They've forbade to use it strongly!!! They've suggested to use natural products such as juice of lemon, parcley, put camomile teabags on dark spots, oatmeal etc... and of course, avoid the Sun. Please be aware, read more information online.

TRI-Luma review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hyperpigmentation
Dosage & duration:   once at night (dosage frequency: once at night) for the period of 5 months
Other conditions:   mild acne, mild melasma

Benefits:   Mild lightening of age and sun spots.
Side effects:   Slight dryness at the beginning of treatment. Increased sun sensitivity.
Comments:   Started using the cream every other night and increased it to every night. It somewhat lightened my freckles and age spots pretty quickly (within a couple of weeks) but after that stopped helping. I also had a brown patchy area on my leg that has been around forever. I used it as my "test" patch to monitor progress. Just like my face it lightened the spot pretty quickly and then stopped working. The spot since then has remained lighter but has never gone away altogether. I would say I saw a 25% improvement in the sun spots on my face. I have a lot of them so overall it didn't really make a difference in how my skin looks. I did not have much irritation when I started using this product but I had been using Retin A before I started the Tri Luma so maybe my skin was used to it already. I did notice that it stung the skin around my eyes when I used it on the brown spots high up on my cheekbones. Also, was told it would help reduce acne and breakouts. It did not which is disappointing. I use 50+ sunscreen every day and stay out of direct sunlight.

TRI-Luma review by 39 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   dark skin spots on face
Dosage & duration:   once a night (dosage frequency: once a night) for the period of 45 days

Benefits:   slight lightening of dark spots. there was really no benefit beyond this. seems like a waste of time and in fact, just regularly applying sunscreen seems to do a better job of lightening the spots
Side effects:   redness and irritation. increased sensitivity to sun exposure. but only after about 30 days of applications or so
Comments:   applied light amount once a day at night before bed

TRI-Luma review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hyperpigmentation all over face
Dosage & duration:   once aday (dosage frequency: one time) for the period of 8 months
Other conditions:   diabites
Other drugs taken:   metformin/folibic plus

Benefits:   it gave a little respons but once we stop applying the spots appear again so it is frustating to keep on applying.it is not a cure but just a satisfaction.
Side effects:   dry skin,redness of skin, very sensitive skin.
Comments:   one should apply once a day at nighttime.it will appear good in starting but once stopped will come again.it should be applied in a little amount.

TRI-Luma review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   melasma
Dosage & duration:   apply at bedtime (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of three months

Benefits:   The first time I used the drug it lightened the patches of melasma. The second time I used it, about a year later, it actually darkened them. I was told that happens to some people who use hydroquinone and that I will never be able to use it. I use sun block every day, year round. I am Irish-Italian-German-Dutch. My skin is fair yet any trauma results in hyperpigmentation.
Side effects:   See above
Comments:   See above

TRI-Luma review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   melasma
Dosage & duration:   3 x day (dosage frequency: 1 x day) for the period of 1 month then on and off when spots start

Benefits:   excellent!!!! been using on and off for about 5 yrs now. I have learned how this works so theres no side effects such as really dry flaky skin. i use a little in the am then at night.I do this for about 2 wks. Meanwhile i DO NOT use any scrubs or rub my face , just gently, also NO masks or toners etc. Close to 2 wks, when in a hot shower gentle exfoliate, you will see dead skin coming off. dry your face and ts gonna look dry, flaky and terrible. use PURE COCOBUTTER on your face during the day, then only at night use the triluma, and repeat the exfoliate every few days, then the cocobutter etc, until you get results. My face looks amazing after using this process, but i do not have acne, so not sure how it would work with the cocobutter, might make the acne worse. good luck!
Side effects:   dry skin
Comments:   explained above

TRI-Luma review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   severe melasma
Dosage & duration:   nightly application (dosage frequency: every day) for the period of 4 weeks
Other conditions:   diabetes
Other drugs taken:   metaformin

Benefits:   i has severe melasma to the cheeks, top of nose, chin and forehead. Dark spots where reduced to almost nothing!
Side effects:   mild peeling thats it but i was also putting on SPF30 non greasy suntan gel on my face three times a day. That is what the doctor recomended to decrease side effects from sun exposure. It worked!!
Comments:   tri-luma at night very thin layer, less is better. in the am apply this SPF 30 gel at 8-12-4 q4 hours yes i know i thought that was alot but it worked. im a nurse and doctor explained the you get UV rays even from normal lights. i seen results 3 days into the treatment. the doctor told me to stop using all these other things for my face. it simple-wash my face with a nice facial cleasing bar of soap-apply triluma at night-SPF30 three times a day. minor peeling was nothing compared to the effects of this cream on my face its so pretty now and my husband loves it!!!!