Tetracycline (Tetracycline) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Tetracycline reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 12 ratings/reviews, Tetracycline has an overall score of 5.67. The effectiveness score is 6.50 and the side effect score is 7.17. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Tetracycline review by 36 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   one tablet twice a day taken until problem cleared for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   iron dificiency
Other drugs taken:   iron supplements

Benefits:   cleared bacteria on skin slightly
Side effects:   stomach pains sickness
Comments:   tetracycline is a antibiotic and a hormone used to control infections and regulate hormonal imbalances.

Tetracycline review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   rosacea
Dosage & duration:   250 mgs taken 2x daily for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   premarin

Benefits:   I do still see reduction in the papules but the redness is still there. In fact, I am wondering if I am developing an immunity because the redness seems to be worsening. Also my skin seems to be getting more sensitive n general.
Side effects:   No side effects but the timing is combersome because you have to take the drug on an empty stomach.
Comments:   250 mgs twice a day on an empty stomach for reduction of redness and papules of rosacea.

Tetracycline review by 15 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   250 mg taken 3 x day for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   acne

Benefits:   This did help clear acne infections and helped skin somewhat improve
Side effects:   The side effects included sun sensitivity, upset stomach, tiredness
Comments:   I was put on this medication by my pediatrician and, unfortunately, I think he did a poor job of following up on my treatment. I think that antibiotics are too strong a treatment for acne.

Tetracycline review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   50mg/day taken daily for the period of 3 mos.
Other conditions:   na
Other drugs taken:   na

Benefits:   My rosacia and acne were improved 60% by the drug but I believe that the Murad Skin Care line for acne helped more than the drug. I used both daily, first the drug for 3 mo. then the Murad for 3 mo. The Murad appeared to help more without any negative side effects. My skin on the drug was very sensitive to sunlight but not with the Murad treatment.
Side effects:   I did get a yeast infection with the drug and increased sensitivity to sunlight. I did not get either negative side effects with the Murad skin care treatment line.
Comments:   I was to use the drug daily for a period of 3 mo.

Tetracycline review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   rosacea
Dosage & duration:   2mg taken twice daily for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   Pustules disappeared and the redness diminished
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I took the antibiotic twice daily on an empty stomach to treat grade 5 rosacea. Although I still get the odd pustule one week prior to menstruation, I do at least generally now have a clear complexion. My face is still rather rosie - most people think I look healthy! Sleep, or rather lack of it, seems to affect the condition too. Before taking the tablets I had at least half a dozen spots on each cheek all of the tim.

Tetracycline review by 39 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   acne-I was 22 yrs old when I took it
Dosage & duration:   cannot remember (dosage frequency: 2 times a day) for the period of 10 DAYS
Other conditions:   NONE
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   I started with headaches on the 9th day of taking the medication. I eventually needed 2 yrs of spinal taps to reduce the fluid build on in my spinal cord which was putty pressure on my brain.
Side effects:   none see above
Comments:   The Doctors told me this is a very rare side effect but it ruined my life for over two years.

Tetracycline review by 42 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Razor Bumps
Dosage & duration:   Once per day, rub onto the skin (dosage frequency: once per day) for the period of 9 months

Benefits:   The product took great care of my razor bumps. If I applied it at night, I was clear by the morning. I only stopped taking it as the condition itself lessened.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I would apply it to my skin, after washing, either at night (best time), or in the morning. I would also use a good spf to protect my skin from sun in the day

Tetracycline review by 55 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   ulcer
Dosage & duration:   1 every six hours (dosage frequency: once) for the period of 2 days
Other drugs taken:   metronidazole

Benefits:   cant say because I had to stop taking it after just 2 days due to severe after effects
Side effects:   excrutiaing stomach/intestinal pain
Comments:   The drug was prescribed for treating H-pylori infection but it caused ore severe pain than hte ailment itself. It was too strong a drug for me and I had to be switced erothromycin and amoxcillin after only 2 days of tetracycline combo. It also made me dizzy.

Tetracycline review by 54 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   250 mg/day taken 1-2 times per day for the period of years

Benefits:   The tetracycline helped to reduce acne lesions.
Side effects:   Tetracycline was heavy on the stomach and if you ask me added to yellowing of my teeth but that is a subjective view. Mostly it caused stomach gas and disturbance. I had constant vaginal yeast infections because (I believe) of the imbalance of good bacteria.
Comments:   The treatment was, at that time, one of the treatments for acne. Being a systemic treatment, it did decrease the acne lesions but only on continued use. As soon as it was discontinued, the acne returned as usual. It was to use 2x per day indefinitely and so was not the best idea but at the time did prevent the gross acne lesions that would have occured without.

Tetracycline review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   skin acne
Dosage & duration:   500mg taken 2 tablets per day for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   some clearing of acne but not completely. re-occurrence still happened. Scarring was still there. Overall, did not feel that effectiveness was best. Possibly a more natural cure would have been better.
Side effects:   yellowing of teeth. some nausea. doctor warned of side effects and medication was still taken.
Comments:   taking tablets but also doing warm compresses on affected areas of skin. also went for extraction treatment. It is possible that the extractions were not done properly so that is why the scarring remained.

Tetracycline review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   moderate persisting acne
Dosage & duration:   100mg tab taken 2 times a day for the period of 3 months
Other drugs taken:   topical steroids

Benefits:   The combination therapy worked well but after discontinuation of therapy the condition returned and was worse than previous time.
Side effects:   dry skin and occasional nausea
Comments:   I cleanse and apply elocon twice daily to my face and take antibiotics twice a day for 3 months my face cleared but returned after discontinuation of therapy. Now my dermatologist has restarted the antibiotics orally and added retinoid cream twice a day.

Tetracycline review by 37 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   250 mg taken bid for the period of few weeks

Benefits:   I experienced nearly immediate decreased acne, without any of the dreaded sun sensitivity. It decrease papuless, whiteheads and blackheads all similarly. The medicine took effect almost immediately. I was not aware was supposed to take on empty stomach and yet still effective.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   I also used topical clindamycin daily and benzoyl peroxide over the counter (when remembered). Both clinda and benzoyl persoxide I had tried taking previously without the addition of the tetracycline with little to no benefit.