Synthroid (Levothyroxine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Synthroid (Levothyroxine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 53 ratings/reviews, Synthroid has an overall score of 7.87. The effectiveness score is 7.81 and the side effect score is 9.09. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Condition / reason:   hypothyroid
Dosage & duration:   25 mcg (dosage frequency: 1/day) for the period of for the last 9 mos
Other conditions:   mild hypertension
Other drugs taken:   lexapro, welbutrin, nexium, Benicar

Benefits:   Increased energy; I happened to be without the drug for one week, and felt absolutely terrible - like I was completely knocked down.
Side effects:   no side effects that i can remember.
Comments:   The doctor ran a series of blood/chemical tests - thyroid, testosterone and DHEA levels. All were somewhat low, the synthroid in particular. We've started out with fairly low levels of each.

Synthroid review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   100mcg (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of still taking since 10 years on

Benefits:   Clearer thinking; improved outlook and energy level.
Side effects:   I have had a persistent cough since taking this drug.
Comments:   Taken first thing with glass of water and no food for 30 minutes. Doctor did not see the connection between cough and Synthroid,(chest Xray came back fine) however as it did bother my stomach briefly at time of dosing, I decided it might be affecting the stomach lining. Recently towards late afternoon or before retiring will take Tagamet or some generic stomach med. I DO NOT experience heartburn, however, this routine seems to reduce the embarrassing cough significantly. This was my own resolution after trying many allergy medicines once or twice which did not stop the cough at all. Was also given sample of Advair which I did not use due to negative side effects I read about on internet before using. I am seeking a more natural and effective solution to replace the Synthroid with something that will treat source of low thyroid as well as the symptoms.

Synthroid review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   after birth thyroid not working to mormal levelc
Dosage & duration:   50mcg (dosage frequency: 1 tablet a day f) for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   no benefit still tired short of breath losing hair can't lose weigth loss of libido
Side effects:   no side effect no benefits
Comments:   after blood test was given levothyroxine 50mcg 1 tablet a day to conteract over tiredness loss of hair weight problem and loss of libido. This treatment is for life but I had so far no benefit after over 3 years. I can not stop it as I was explain that it could go worth. No other treatment are available and no cause of this problem can be explained.

Condition / reason:   hypothyroid
Dosage & duration:   0.075 (dosage frequency: one daily) for the period of 25 years
Other conditions:   osteoporosis
Other drugs taken:   evista

Benefits:   correction of thinning of hair, feeling cold all of the time, weepiness and feeling emotional. improvement in fingernails. correction of insomnia
Side effects:   none
Comments:   take tablet once daily in am on an empty stomach avoiding calcium for two hours. have thyroid function tests at least once a year.

Condition / reason:   Hashimotos syndrome - hypothyroid symptoms
Dosage & duration:   various over lifetime, currently 75mcg (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 25 years

Benefits:   Synthroid replaces the thyroid hormones not manufactured by the body. When proper levels are achieved, the endocrine system operates as it should. Important to note that generic versions CAN NOT be substituted if patient is currently treated with name brand. Start on generic, stay on generic. Start on Synthroid, stay on Synthroid. This is common knowledge among endocrinologists and pharmacists, but your insurance company may interfere.
Side effects:   Provided annual blood tests are administered to check thyroid levels, there are no side effects and ensures healthy operation of endocrine system.
Comments:   Treatment includes annual blood test to monitor thyroid levels, adjust dosage if necessary, and annual check-up with endocrinologist or internist.

Synthroid review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   tiredness
Dosage & duration:   100mcg (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   menopause

Benefits:   Less tired, no need for naps in the afternoon. Immune system improved.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   One pill daily in the morning one hour before breakfast.

Synthroid review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   thyroid removal
Dosage & duration:   100 mcg (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 25 years
Other conditions:   menopausal
Other drugs taken:   HRT

Benefits:   Needed to replace natural tyroid hormones
Side effects:   weight gain
Comments:   Prescribed after removal of tyroid gland

Synthroid review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   200 mcg (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 11 years
Other conditions:   iron-deficiency anemia, metrorrhagia
Other drugs taken:   ferrous sulfate

Benefits:   The synthetic thyroid hormone treatment made it so I was at least able to function, sped my metabolism up enough to keep warm and have regular menses.
Side effects:   Side effects come from taking either too little or too much Synthroid. It is a tightrope balancing act and the blood work is not specific enough to guide the clinical course.
Comments:   Compared to others who naturally have a functioning thyroid, it is clear to see that Synthroid is an inferior product to what the thyroid makes naturally in a healthy individual. I know that I still have minor hypothyroid symptoms even when my blood counts show that I have therapeutic levels of the medication. Additionally, generic versions of Synthroid seem to be even less effective at relieving all the symptoms, even though the blood counts could be normal. With hypothyroidism becoming a very common condition these days, one would think that new medications would be coming out, but the medical professionals seem content to stick with Synthroid because "on paper" it seems to be safe and effective.

Dosage & duration:   .88mg taken once daily for the period of still take it

Benefits:   I had suffered from feeling tired all the time and my hair and skin seemed to be dull and dry. I noticed a remarkable change in my energy level within just a short time ( 7-10 days). Also the condition of my hair and skin seemed to improve.
Side effects:   I didn't notice any side effects.
Comments:   I take the medication first thing in the morning, about 30 minutes to an hour before eating breakfast.

Synthroid review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   weight gain
Dosage & duration:   .05 now .15 (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 17 years

Benefits:   Initially, I was concerned because I had knee surgery and was on crutches for six months. I gained weight rapidly and didn't know why. After taking a blood test, it was determined that my thyroid level was low. Once taking the medicine, my blood tests came back ok, but the weight did not decrease as the doctor had said it would.
Side effects:   There have been no side effects to my knowledge. I do realize that if I do not take the medicine as indicated that I get tired more frequently and feel slugish. I am concerned that there may be a better alternative to taking synthroid. I have heard of medicine that can be taken in two pill form and that may better correct the thyroid imbalance.
Comments:   I take one pill everyday at the same time.

Synthroid review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroid
Dosage & duration:   from 150 to 100mcg/daily (dosage frequency: daily for the last 7 years) for the period of since 2000 still take it daily

Benefits:   Decreased TSH Level from 428 to 1.5 Loss of hair slowed. Memory and depression improved. Body temp increased from 96 to 97.8 Energy level improved drastically. I could finally get though the day without having to nap fequently(4/5 naps of at least 20 to 30 mins) Brain fog lifted. Muscle aches and pains deminished. Skin was not as dry.
Side effects:   I went from having daily bowel movments to only around three times weekly. I had to increase fluid intake and add fiber supplements.
Comments:   I get my TSH Level checked every 6 months or sooner if I start feeling sluggish, lossing more hair. I sometimes need to increase or decrease the medication a bit. I take synthyroid daily 1 hour before eating and 4 hours prior to any calcium or iron.

Condition / reason:   fatique, depression
Dosage & duration:   25mgs taken once per day for the period of long term
Other conditions:   depression
Other drugs taken:   effexor

Benefits:   Increase in energy, immediate weight loss.
Side effects:   None noticable.
Comments:   I had long complained of fatigue, listlessness, disinterest. I exhibited classic symptoms of hypo-thyroid, but did not check out as such in the standard blood test. A new doctor understands that not every person will fall within "standard" test results. God bless her. The results were rapid and positive with an increase in energy, loss of about 10 pounds of excess weight.

Other conditions:   mild hypertension
Other drugs taken:   lexapro, welbutrin, nexium, Benicar

Side effects:   no side effects that i can remember.

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroid
Dosage & duration:   175mcg (dosage frequency: once/day) for the period of 10 years
Other conditions:   being a menopausal and postmopausal woman

Benefits:   better mental acumen, energy,hair texture,better physical endurance and strength
Side effects:   I would not term the effects as negative side effects, nor would I say they the effects were as beneficial as I expected them to be. 10 years later and I am still suffering the same symptoms, though not as severe. I have had a very difficult time getting traditional Dr.s to look beyond the Thyroid and to realize that for a woman it becomes a package deal. Once you hit menopause and the chemical balance shifts it is not enough to look at one part of the body and blame that for all your symptoms. I was NEVER sick as a child or young adult. I never had female problems, but once menopause set in my body went haywire. I KNOW, in speaking with women my own age,that I am not an isolated case. Thyroid disease is more prevalent than ever and this drug does not cut it for some patients.
Comments:   One pill every morning 1 hour before breakfast. Just recently instructions have included not taking vitamins with Calcium 2 hrs after the pill, but this has not made a difference.

Dosage & duration:   0.1mg taken once a day for the period of 7 years

Benefits:   with the treatment I feel less tired and more energetic.I comeback to my normal weight and I stop losing my hair. Also I do not get cold as I use to.
Side effects:   I did not have any side effects after the doctor find the right dosage I was able to function like I used to before I have the symptoms of the hypothyroid.
Comments:   I take one tablet everyday in the morning in a empty stomach around the same time and I wait an hour before I eat. Sometimes I can only wait 30 minutes and it does not seems to alter the effect of the medication.

Synthroid review by 53 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   .1mg taken once per day for the period of 10+ years
Other conditions:   Arthritis, Hypercholesterolemia, Asthma
Other drugs taken:   Omega 3, Garlic, MSM

Benefits:   My hair grew back (prior to treatment it was falling out in clumps) and my depression, weight gain, and exhaustion improved somewhat.
Side effects:   I experienced no discernible side effects.
Comments:   Although this drug did alleviate my hair loss it only lessened my depression, exhaustion, and weight gain. I still have difficulty with concentration and memory and experience "brain fog" every day. My endocrinologist says my dose is perfect based on my blood test results but my symptoms persist.

Synthroid review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   low under active thyroid
Dosage & duration:   .05mg taken one a day for the period of still taking
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   I became more active and lost 10 of the 14 pounds I had gained. I have more energy, and feel like myself again.
Side effects:   I never had any side effects. The only drawback is that you have to take the medication on an empty stomach or wait three hours after you eat. However, they prefer you take it in the morning. So what I do is keep my medicaton next to my bed and take it the very first time I wake up in the morning whether it's 4, 5, or 6 am.
Comments:   I returned from vacation in August by November I had gained 14 pounds. I did not know why. I was eating the same amount of food. I went to see the doctor and after a complete check up and blood tests they found I had a low under active thyroid. As I think back, I did feel more tired, I did not want to join my kids and spouse to do anything instead I would go to bed early. That is not like me. I am the type of person who would get up and go anytime. I thought I was just tired. Now, I reflect and remember that I stopped doing things with my family, became less active and all along I thought it was because I was tired when in actuality my thyroid was off.

Synthroid review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Thyroid cancer
Dosage & duration:   100 mcg (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 8 years and continuing

Benefits:   The treatment benefits of taking Synthroid have everything to do with metabolism regulation. Because I had thyroid cancer the entire thyroid was removed. Since thyroid hormone keeps the body running at optimum speed, it is now essential for me to take medication that will accomplish what my body is no longer capable of doing on its own.
Side effects:   There have been no treatment side effects for me thus far.
Comments:   Treatment consists simply of taking a 100 mcg Synthroid pill each morning. This should be taken on an empty stomach and no food should be taken for one full hour. It is also important not to take any calcium supplement for four hours after taking Synthroid. Calcium interferes with the body's ability to effectively utilize the Synthroid.

Synthroid review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   .5 mcg (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3+ years
Other conditions:   Low blood sugar

Benefits:   Increased energy, ability to focus, and increased ability to lose weight. Patient suffered fewer low blood sugar episodes. Thirty pounds of weight were lost in the first year.
Side effects:   None, other than those stated above in the treatment benefits.
Comments:   Patient has Hashimotos disease. Prescribed synthroid. Patient also working to follow a low carb diet, regular exercise, and normal sleep. Over time, synthroid dosage has increased, to 112 mcg per day from the original dose of 50. This is some cause of concern re: progression of the disease, but so far, no alternative approach/therapy seems to counteract this progression. Blood work required every 6 months in order to help ensure proper dosage.

Synthroid review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Thyroid
Dosage & duration:   .088 (dosage frequency: 1 x day) for the period of on going Started approx 4 years ago

Benefits:   I saw a large improvement in my skin which had become very dry and flaky on my legs and also on my face. I have a blood test every year and after the initial experimenting with the dosage which started at .50 my thyroid levels are normal.
Side effects:   There are no side effects that I have noticed.
Comments:   I was surprised when informed by my doctor that my thyroid level was low. I didn't associate increased dry skin and perhaps slowing down a bit to thyroid levels. Although, after talking about it I realized it ran in my family. My mother and brother were also on thyroid medication.

Synthroid review by care giver of 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   100mcg (dosage frequency: everyday) for the period of 4 years

Benefits:   helped with stopping hair falling out and keeping from being cold all the time. also helped the feeling of being tired allthetime and gave more energy throughtout the day. Did not feel as tired in the afternoon as before without it.
Side effects:   hungry all the time. Did gain weight on the medication although it had been thought that it would help lose weight to some extent. This however did not happen. Weight gain of 25 pounds over 4 years did occur.
Comments:   take one 100mcg tablet each morning each day

Synthroid review by care giver of 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroid deficiency
Dosage & duration:   100mcg (dosage frequency: every day) for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   High cholesterol

Benefits:   The treatment remedied her lab values as well as treated her symptoms of weight gain and lack of energy.
Side effects:   Patient occasionally feels a bit shakey.
Comments:   Patient was treated for low thyroid test results which coincided with the onset of menopause which manifested itself in a weight gain of 20# and a marked lack of energy. The medication corrected her lab values and contributed to her ability to lose the weight gained and feel an increase in energy.

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   100mcg (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of Since menopause at 52

Benefits:   Treatment benefits involved bringing the thyroid function tests into the normal range to counteract the hypothyroid condition that someetimes occurs in post-menopausal women.
Side effects:   There were no side effects noted.
Comments:   Treatment consists of taking one 100mcg tablet first thing in the AM on an empty stomach with 8oz of water and not eating for 1 hour afterwards.

Synthroid review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypthyroidism
Dosage & duration:   137mcg (dosage frequency: every morning) for the period of 4 months

Benefits:   Treatment benefits included a correction of my T3, but only a mild improvement in my emotional status. I am still irritable and mildly depressed.
Side effects:   Weight gain of 20# in 4 months, continuation of my irritability and mild depression.
Comments:   Treatment involved radiation treatment to shrink my thyroid to correct my hyperthyroidism, followed by Rx with Synthroid to treat the hypothyroidism.

Synthroid review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   100mcg (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of Since menopause in 2002

Benefits:   The treatment bendfits consisted of bringing the thyroid test results into the normal range for the TSH and T4 tests for a post-menopausal woman.
Side effects:   There were no treatment side effects noted.
Comments:   Treatment consists of one 100mcg tablet taken early AM on an empty stomach with 8oz of water with no food for one hour after dose.

Synthroid review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   25 mcg (dosage frequency: one time per day) for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   The treatment benefits were the initial complaint of monthly cycle depression and nervousness went from occurring for a ten to fourteen day period down to a two day time frame. Monthly menstruation also occurred in a more timely fashion - every 28 days.
Side effects:   There were no treatment side effects.
Comments:   Synthroid is taken first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, with a large glass of water. I wait four hours until I consume any type of calcium but I only wait one hour until I have all other kinds of food.

Synthroid review by medical professional caring for 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   S/P thyroidectomy
Dosage & duration:   100 mcg (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of to the present time

Benefits:   Treatment benefits consisted of weight gain after pronounced weight loss due to thyroid tumor. Although the patient felt that there was a greater weight gain than she desired.
Side effects:   A greater than desired weight gain and a decrease in energy and libido are the most bothersome side effects as per the patient. The dose is still being titrated in order to moderate these effects.
Comments:   Post thyroidectomy, the patient was placed on Levothyroxin 120 mcg, but the patient complained of pronounced weight, lack of energy, lack of sex drive and some depression. Blood work was done and the dose has been adjusted to 100 mcg and will be re-evalutated in 2 months.

Synthroid review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothroidism after radioactive iodine
Dosage & duration:   .125 mcg (dosage frequency: once daily and twice on sunday) for the period of 16 years
Other conditions:   Graves Disease - headaches racing heart
Other drugs taken:   multivitamin with Iron

Benefits:   Medications for the graves disease were not keeping the thyroid levels at a constant state. Had to continually change dosage. The medication for hyperthyroid also can cause birth defects. I was anticipating having children within a few years. I went in and had the radio active iodine. After one month my thyroid was destroyed. Had tried generic brands of synthroid but was still expereincing changes in my thyroid level. My doctor perscribed only name brand syntroid and it has been at a cosistant level for at least 5 years.
Side effects:   When taking synthroid it must be taken on an empty stomach around the same time every day. Multivitamins with Iron decrease the sythroids effectiveness so they must be taken at least 3 hours after taking sythroid. Never miss a dosage. I once missed a few days in a row and became very depressed almost suicidal. Will need to take sythroid for the rest of my life and keep regular appointments to have my thyroid levels checked.
Comments:   The radio active iodine treatment was conducted as outpatient surgery at the local hospital. I was given a pill to swallow. I was then asked to come back after 6 hours to have a scan done of my thyroid. I came back the next day for another scan. After one week I had a blood test and was perscribed synthroid. I have my thyroid checked on an annual basis. In some cases depending on any changes in my thyroid levels I have had to go back on a six month check up schedule.

Synthroid review by 18 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   0.15mg taken one every day for the period of continuous until age 40

Benefits:   This dosage was supposed to help the thyroid function correctly. However, it appeared to make me more lethargic, even though the blood test showed that it was working correctly. I experienced more benefit from exercise than from taking this mandatory drug.
Side effects:   I experienced weight gain fluctuations and loss of energy. I complained to several doctors over the period of 20 years without effect. There is no alternative treatment if the patient does not feel the benefit. The doctor only sees the blood test to show that the treatment is effective.
Comments:   No treatment, other than taking a blood test every 6 months to see if the level was correct, regardless of the side effects. I found this offensive since I clearly gained 20 pounds when on the medication than when I was not on the medication (or the dosage was reduced).

Synthroid review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   100mcg (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of since 1995

Benefits:   Synthyroid replaces thyroid hormones that provide energy and increase your metabolism. I had a small goiter that was diminished when I began taking the medicine. If I miss a few days I have very little energy and feel as if I'm carrying heavy suitcases around.
Side effects:   My skin has white spots on it due to lack of pigment. I have read that Synthroid causes skin pigment loss and wrinkles. I f the dose is too high then i feel nervous and jittery.
Comments:   I take 100mcg every morning. It is suppose to be taken on an empty stomach but I simply take it before breakfast. My thyroid hormone levels have to be checked annually to make sure the dosage is effective.

Dosage & duration:   175mcg (dosage frequency: qd) for the period of 10yrs
Other conditions:   Hashimotos

Benefits:   TSH went up to 51 when put on low dose of natural thyroid. Doing better on synthroid rather than generic brand. Still have fatigue, memory, weight loss problems. I believe there are things that the blood tests do not show. Not freezing anymore.
Side effects:   Still have temp below 97.5 though I don't feel cold. Difficulty losing weight. Hair thinning. Tired much of time though I use to be a very high energy person. Dr. doesn't seem to believe me, but I know my body.
Comments:   I take my med each morning on an empty stomach and told not to take food for 1 hr. and calcium supplement not for 3 hrs. I take 1/2 of a pill on Sundays.

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   100 MCG (dosage frequency: one daily) for the period of 18 years

Benefits:   Having been diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was only twenty, I was administered varying levels of Synthroid. Prior to taking the medication, my hypothyroid condition was so severe that my metabolism was adversely affected. Not only did I feel sluggish, but my liver was even slow to act because I started turning orange! My fingertips were calloused, my speech was slurred and my hair had begun falling out. When the first dosage was given, it was too high. Then when it was adjusted and my blood levels determined that it was the right amount, the symptoms all began to subside and slowly I became functional again. I don't normally take any over-the-counter medications but as for this prescription medication, I need it to effectively manage my hypothyroidism.
Side effects:   Initially, when the dosage given to me was too high, I became a little jittery. If the doctor prescribes the right dosage for you, there should be minimal to no side effects at all.
Comments:   Synthroid (generic name: Levoxyl) is taken once a day, preferably in the morning on an empty stomach. There do not seem to be any extra details concerned with the daily administration of the drug.

Condition / reason:   underactive thyroid
Dosage & duration:   .125 (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 15 years

Benefits:   The treatment benefits were to counteract underactive thyroid conditions. Specifically, it kept my metabolism from being too slow, which meant that it diminished face swelling, kept my skin and hair from becoming dry, and from me feeling unusually cold and tired.
Side effects:   I did not experience any side effects from this medication.
Comments:   I am taking .125 of Synthroid once a day, every day. I take it in the morning, before I eat any food.

Synthroid review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   37 1/2 mcg (dosage frequency: 1 1/2 pills once a day) for the period of so far, about 7 months

Benefits:   i have mild hypothyroidism, so i wasn't necessarily aware of what having an underfunctioning was doing to my body. still, i was able to detect changes (for the better) after taking synthroid for a few months. the primary benefit i aw was HIGHLY HIGHLY improved concentration, which has made school/work such a pleasure. i think my metabloism also improved slightly.
Side effects:   none, as far as i could see.
Comments:   take your pill everyday at the same time. i found that morning is best, because you need to wait an hour to eat after taking the pill. i take it right when i wake up, then get ready, and then have breakfast right at the one hour mark.

Synthroid review by 37 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroid
Dosage & duration:   125 mg taken daily for the period of six years

Benefits:   Stopped steady weight gain, lethargy and insomnia. Also seemed to help with my problems with poor ciculation and generalized brain fog (inability to focus).
Side effects:   Hair loss! It seems that every few months since starting Synthroid I get go though a few weeks of substantial hair loss. I have noticed that I gain weight more in my stomach since starting sythroid I never carried weight there before.
Comments:   daily Oral dose of Synthroid. Medication be taken 1 hour before or two hours after eating. That can be difficult to do.

Synthroid review by 51 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   .075mg taken once daily for the period of 1yr +

Benefits:   Prior to taking this medication, I was feeling very tired and "fuzzy headed". I thought these feelings were just due to being overly busy and getting older. In an annual check-up it was discovered that my thyroid levels were off. This medication brought my thyroid level to normal. I noticed increased energy and mental clarity within just a few days of starting the medication.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   After finding through a blood test that my thryoid levels were off, my doctor prescibed this medication for me. Within just a couple of days, I noticed a marked improvement in my energy level.

Synthroid review by 22 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypthyroidsim
Dosage & duration:   25mg taken daily for the period of indefinitly

Benefits:   The benefit was a reduction the fatigue that I was feeling on a daily basis.
Side effects:   There are no noticeable side effects, other than that if I am lapse in taking it, I feel extremely tired.
Comments:   The treatment plan is one pill daily, the prescription comes in monthly doses and is renewed indefinitely. Regular blood test are done to test the amount of thyroid hormone in the blood system.

Synthroid review by 36 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   under active thyroid
Dosage & duration:   from 50 mcg to 112 mcg (dosage frequency: ones a day or split to two portions) for the period of 21 months
Other conditions:   non
Other drugs taken:   contraceptives MIN-OVRAL

Benefits:   improved some symptoms: cold intolerance; carbs cravings; gives energy for a short periods of time (2-3 weeks) after increasing the dose;
Side effects:   extreme fatigue; 38 LBS weight gain; mood swings; muscle weakness; excessive sleep; irritability; intolerance to excersise; tiredness and heaviness all over the body; brain forg; slow reactions
Comments:   I was taking 50 mcg of generic Synthroid at the mornings 30-40 minutes before breakfast. The dose was increased gradually every 2 month as my thyroid was drastically decreasing its activity and symptoms reoccured. The doses of 100 mcg and later 112 mcg were taken sublingually twice a day 30-40 minutes before breakfast and lunch. Contraceptives MIN-OVRAL and supplements of Ca, Mg and iron were taken at the evening to avoid the interractions.

Condition / reason:   hashimoto's hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   0.2 (dosage frequency: 1 per day) for the period of 35 years
Other conditions:   asthma, allergies
Other drugs taken:   claritin-D, astelin, inhaler

Benefits:   Hypothyroidism treatment -- restores proper thyroxine levels in body, not produced by my damaged thyroid gland. Without the medication, I would have not developed properly, and today I would suffer dramatic effects on energy levels, puffiness, cholesterol plaqueing and worse. Asthma and allergy treatment -- Ability to exercise without wheezing, ability to work outside among natural allergens, ability to clean around dust indoors,
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Take as needed

Condition / reason:   Papillary, Follicular, Tall-Cell Variant Cancer
Dosage & duration:   .250 mcg (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of 10 years+
Other conditions:   Thyroid Cancer, torn ankle ligament

Benefits:   None-Well, my TSH is only .02, but my thyroglobulin levels are elevated as well as antibodies. So...MAYBE this helped keep the cancer down (over the years I've had multiple I-131 treatments, 33 IMRT or external beam radation treatments, and multiple surgeries to the neck region. The drug does NOT seem to help with the symptoms that were evidence since realizing I had thyroid cancer.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   The drug does NOT seem to help with the symptoms that were evidence since realizing I had thyroid cancer, but the blood test results seem good.

Synthroid review by 40 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   .25 mg taken daily 1x for the period of 8 months
Other conditions:   premature ovarian failure

Benefits:   Although the medication has decreased my TSH level, I am still fatigued and inspite of being active at my job, I cannot seem to lose weight. I have extememly low energy level which I thought the synthroid would help.
Side effects:   None that I'm aware of.
Comments:   I take one table, once a day with water.

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   137 mcg (dosage frequency: one tablet per day) for the period of 31 years
Other conditions:   high blood pressure, hypertension, depression
Other drugs taken:   wellbutrin, ramapril

Benefits:   I had increased stamina, anemia went away, heavy menses improved from anemia being treated. My hair grew thicker as much of it had fallen out. My dry skin was much improved. I had a huge improvement in clarity of thought. My tongue seemed previously swollen and I could enunciate much more effectively.
Side effects:   Getting the proper dose was tricky. If dose was too high, my pulse rate skyrocketed. If the doctor reduced my dose too quickly my hair would start to thin.
Comments:   Once yearly testing of TSH. One tablet per day.

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   175 mcg (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of 13 years

Benefits:   increased energy, depression gone
Side effects:   none
Comments:   i was diagnosed with underactive thyroid in 1996. i initially went to the doctors for swollen sinuses and being tired alot. after testing me for underactive thyroid i was prescribed 25 mcg of synthroid. the doctor then continued to increase the dose until i got to the appropriate level. this took quite awhile, but i felt much better after the correct level was achieved. my depression lifted and i had alot more energy. overall i have been very pleased with Synthroid.

Synthroid review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   100 mics (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of 15 years
Other conditions:   high cholesterol

Benefits:   The drug Levothyroxine 100 mics daily that I took for hypothyroidism was advantagious for my metobolic effect. I did have more energy and felt more alert and awake, as before where I felt lithargic and brain dead.If I inadvertantly skipped a day of medication, I felt like I would notice my sluggishness a few days later.
Side effects:   I had no side effects.
Comments:   I have since stopped taking the Levothyroxine 100 mics daily. My provider explained to me since I was still feeling tired was to switch to the brand name Synthroid 100 mics daily. I have noticed a big difference in my energy level and alertness. I can't believe I have gone this long (15 years) feeling tired and out of sorts. I wish now I had been taking the brand name all along. No telling what things I may acomplished.

Synthroid review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   thyroid
Dosage & duration:   75 mg taken 1x day for the period of 8 years
Other conditions:   high blood pressure, thyroid problems
Other drugs taken:   lotensin hcl, synthroid

Benefits:   blood pressure medicine currently controling BP well. thyroid medication keeps TSH level at optimum level. No side effects from either medication. Very low dose of both
Side effects:   no side effects that were at all bothersome. BP medicine makes me sleepy so I take at night. No side effects that I can tell from thyroid medicine
Comments:   I take BP medicine 1 time per day each day. I take at night due to issues with drowsiness. Thyroid medicine is taken 1 time per day in the morning. MD recommended Synthroid rather than generic form

Synthroid review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
Dosage & duration:   75 mcg (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of almost two years now
Other conditions:   initially high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   initially, toprol

Benefits:   Most importantly, my blood pressure went back down to normal when my heart rate rose to a more normal level. I was then taken off the topral and my blood pressure has remained at a good level. Additionally, my hair stopped falling out and wasn't as dry. Also, my skin improved. Before the medication, my skin was horribly dry and flaky. The changes did not take place overnight. I would say that it took about 3-4 months to see any improvement in my hair and skin.
Side effects:   I really experienced very few side effects, if any. Initially, they started me off on a very low dosage because they just thought it was simply hypothyroidism but after a blood test, they realized that I has Hashimooto's thyroidities and moointored it more closely. At low dosages, there wasn't much improvement in my symptoms. I do have excessive sweating but they aren't sure if that is the synthroid or menopause and the doctors don't really seem concerned.
Comments:   Initially I was being treated for high blood pressure and put on topral but they did a TSH test and realized that something was wrong with my thyroid. I was originally started off on a very low dosage ( 12.5 mcg/daily) and had to keep going back for blood work every month. Slowly they increased it until they did another test and found out that it was Hashimoto's thyroiditis. At that point, they increased the dosage to 75 mcg/daily and so far it has worked out but I do have to keep having the TSH levels checked.

Synthroid review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism after Thyroidectomy
Dosage & duration:   75mcg (dosage frequency: 1x per day) for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Had to take a thyroid replacement, so it did that, but not as well as I would have expected.
Side effects:   Was very tired, had memory problems, weight gain. Had trouble moving around, joint pain.
Comments:   Synthroid was prescribed as thyroid replacment hormone after total Thyroidectomy due to nodules, etc from Graves disease. Was determined that 75 mcg was the correct dose. However after 2 years of taking Synthroid and endocrinologist unwilling to try alternative medication, I found another doctor who did some additional testing. She found that I was low in Free t3 & t4 and the prescribed Armour thyroid. I feel much better on this thyroid replacement than I did using Synthroid.

Synthroid review by 65 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   low thyroid production
Dosage & duration:   112 mcg (dosage frequency: one daily) for the period of since 1991
Other conditions:   Graves disease

Benefits:   I had Graves disease in 1990 which indicated that my thyroid function was way too high. The symptoms were anxiety, sleeplessness, depression and restlessness. I was administered an uptake test and I received radioactive iodine therapy to slow down my thyroid function. This threw me into a state of low thyroid function. Synthoid balances my thyroid function to normal and the negative symptoms disappeared.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   See my description under "treatment benefits"

Synthroid review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyriod
Dosage & duration:   90 mg taken once daily for the period of a day

Benefits:   none, I was very disappointed at the time because the doctor said that it going to take care of my problem. I had no energy.
Side effects:   It just didn't work and that was the side affects.
Comments:   I was put on synthroid to cure a slow thyroid. It did not help and I discontinued use. I was changed to Armour Thyroid and have had fabulous results with it. Armour Throid is what was giving to before the drug companies came out with a synthetic version of it.

Condition / reason:   low thyroid
Dosage & duration:   200 mcg (dosage frequency: 1 time per day) for the period of 10 years

Benefits:   The synthroid medication did, for most of the ten years while I took it, keep my thyroid levels where they were supposed to be.
Side effects:   After taking this synthroid medication for a period of about 10 years, here is what happened. We were on vacation in another state and all of a sudden I began to feel extremely horrible-- very weak, with a rapid heart beat. We were getting ready to get on an airplane and come home. So I thought if I can just get to my home town and get to a hospital, they can surely figure out what is wrong with me. We arrived at our home airport and then we went straight to the emergency room, where they ran several tests and I was there for several hours, but they could find nothing wrong with me. So they told me to go to my regular doctor the next day, which I did of course and he ran a blood test and found that it was the thyroid medication that was causing my problems.
Comments:   I was able to find an osteopathic doctor who put me on a natural thyroid, not a synthetic, he calld it a dessicated thyroid which came from an animal source, so I was able to get off the synthetic. Then after being on that for a while, he was able to get me off of that and I took a natural supplement, L- tyrosine It was wonderful to get off of a prescription medication. I hope this information may be helpful to someone out there.

Synthroid review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Multinodular Goiter
Dosage & duration:   100 MCG (dosage frequency: 1 daily) for the period of 1 Month
Other conditions:   ridiculously heavy and prolonged menustrations, anemia
Other drugs taken:   Progyluton, Depo Provera, One a Day (Energy), Cod Liver Oil.

Benefits:   I have more energy and I feel better.
Side effects:   I feel more hungry than usual, but I try not to overeat. Slight weight gain.
Comments:   Due to the hunger feeling... I have breakfast when I wake up and I take the Levothyroxine 2 hours after breakfast with a full glass of water. The hunger feeling has become less.

Synthroid review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hashimotos Disease
Dosage & duration:   50mg taken 1 time per day for the period of Still Taking it
Other conditions:   Dry skin, lethargic, hair falling out, depressed

Benefits:   Once I was diagnosed properly and began taking the synthroid, my dry skin cleared up, my energy level increased and my depression lifted. My hair is now thick and shiny again. I did not have weight gain so I cannot comment on that.
Side effects:   I did not experience any side effects. My doctor is very hesitant to give me the generic version as there are many cmplaints that the generic version does not relive symptoms.
Comments:   I take one pill every morning with a very large glass of water. I must wait one hour before eating or drinking anything but water. I take this pill at the same time every morning and it took about 2 to 3 weeks to begin feeling better. I must get regular, every 3months, bloodwork to check thyroid levels.

Condition / reason:   Underactive thyroid
Dosage & duration:   Currently .112 mcg. Dose has increased. (dosage frequency: once per day) for the period of 15 years, still taking it
Other conditions:   mild hypoglycemia
Other drugs taken:   currently plavix, lipitor, none 15 yrs ago

Benefits:   Stabilized and regulated the levels of thyroxin in my body.
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   One pill per day, standard. I'd like to point out that the Brand Name drug works fine, but the generic versions are not as good. I have had the same problem with some other drugs (primarily antibiotics)where the generic was not effective but the brand name product worked fine.