Sulindac (Sulindac) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Sulindac reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 1 ratings/reviews, Sulindac has an overall score of 4. The effectiveness score is 4 and the side effect score is 6. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Sulindac review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Baker's Cysts behind both knees
Dosage & duration:   200 mg taken twice per day for the period of 3 weeks
Other conditions:   osteoarthritis
Other drugs taken:   Levoxyl; Estrogen replacement

Benefits:   After about a week, I started to see a small reduction in the size of the fluid-filled cysts behind my knees. Over the 3-week treatment period, there was about a 25 percent reduction in the size of the cysts. There was also a mild reduction in the pain associated with the cysts. Another benefit was that I did not get upper GI pain & bleeding with this med, whereas NSAIDs had been causing black stools due to GI irritation & bleeding.
Side effects:   Within about 30 minutes of taking each dose of Sulindac, I experienced a colicky pain under my ribs on the right side. The pain was not extreme, but it was noticeable and unpleasant. Duration lasted 2 - 4 hours each time. This side effect persisted throughout the entire treatment period.
Comments:   Due to longstanding knee osteoarthritis, I am prone to fluid-filled cysts on the backside of my knees. The cysts cause pain, swelling, and reduced circulation to the lower leg. The cysts interfere with walking gait as well. In past I had used NSAIDs to reduce the inflammation of these cysts, however due to NSAID-related side effects, this class of drug was put off-limits by my physician. His recommendation was that I try a drug in the pro-NSAID class, which is less irritating to the stomach. In retrospect, I think that for me, the Sulindac was a trade-off: less stomach irritation exchanged for liver irritation with the Sulindac. Due to this side-effect, my doctor reduced frequency of medication to once per day. My response to the Sulindac was less robust than I had hoped for -- much less improvement than I had experienced previously with NSAIDs -- and it also took a long time (3 weeks) to reach the level of improvement that in past I would achieve in 3 days with OTC NSAIDs.