Seasonique (Levonorgestrel / Estradiol / Estradiol) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Seasonique reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 28 ratings/reviews, Seasonique has an overall score of 5.07. The effectiveness score is 8.43 and the side effect score is 5.21. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Seasonique review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth control
Dosage & duration:   don't know (dosage frequency: one time a day) for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   acne

Benefits:   excellent birth control
Side effects:   common breakthrough bleeding and skin more susceptible to scarring
Comments:   one pill once a day

Dosage & duration:   .15mg/03mg taken 1x daily for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   The medication was effective at preventing pregnancy
Side effects:   I had severe side effects including night Sweats, breakouts on my back (still lingering 4 months later), and weight gain (approximately 5-10 pounds which took 3 months to lose)
Comments:   I decided to switch birth control after being on another brand, Yasmin, for several years. After just 2 and half months, the side effects were so severe I had to stop the medication.

Condition / reason:   Birth control
Dosage & duration:   Standard (dosage frequency: one pill every day) for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   Very effective at preventing pregnancy. Also regulated menstrual cycle length and helped relieve acne. The best part is that you only menstruate 4 times a year, as opposed to 12 or 13.
Side effects:   During the first two months or so that I was on Seasonique, I experienced rather severe depression and uncontrollable mood swings. I also had issues with breast swelling and tenderness. I spoke with my doctor and he advised me that such side effects, although very uncommon, almost always wore off after the first few months. I decided to stick it out and sure enough, they wore off as my body grew accustomed to the medication.
Comments:   You take one pill every day, preferably at around the same time.

Seasonique review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   To prevent pregnancy
Dosage & duration:   1 pill a day taken 1 pill a day for the period of 4 weeks
Other conditions:   nausea, breakouts, mood swings
Other drugs taken:   the Pill, depo-provera

Benefits:   4 periods a year
Side effects:   The first week that I took this pill, I felt like I had the flu. I had to take a sick day off from work because I felt so sick: headache, constantly feeling hot and cold, extreme tiredness. I also started breaking out a lot and my skin started to be so dry. My husband also has said that I've had some mood swings as well.
Comments:   I stopped taking the pills today. I hope this will stop all the symptoms. I will probably never take any birth control for the rest of my life. I was on Depo for about 2 years, which was fine--no major side effects except for the decreased sex drive. I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen for about a year before Depo, but I stopped because I definitely got lighter periods but the periods were longer (5 days) than when I was not on any BC (3 days). I shouldn't have been on any BC to begin with. Afterall, I shouldn't complain--my periods are always on time like clock work. No cramps, only the occasional bloating. I started to be on BC to prevent pregnancy, but I'll just be more careful by using a condom instead.

Condition / reason:   unregulated periods
Dosage & duration:   1 pill per day taken 1 pill per day for the period of few weeks
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   I was on YAZ for over a year, played on three soccer teams (two were for high school) and still gained 5 lbs. After i switched to seasonique a few weeks ago, i lost my appetite and lost weight. I dont eat nearly as much now. Im 5'0'' and before i switched i used to weigh roughly around 115... now im sticking around 105. i have no experience with the bad side effects with seasonique
Side effects:   none
Comments:   one pill a day at the same time

Condition / reason:   I took seasonique just to prevent pregnancy
Dosage & duration:   one pill taken once a day for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   Seasonique was great for me as a birth control method instead of condoms and I experienced no spotting or bleeding the whole 3 months before my period.
Side effects:   When I took seasonique I was very very moody and emotional. I have naturaly good skin, and do not break out often at all. Seasonique made me break out quite a bit. I am not taking seasonique for another 3 months.
Comments:   Seasonique is taken once a day at the same time for 3 months.

Condition / reason:   preventing pregnancy
Dosage & duration:   1 pill every day for 3 months taken 1 pill everyday for 3 months for the period of 9 months
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   Highly effective at preventing pregnancy.
Side effects:   I am 20 years old and I have been usuing Seasonique for 9 months. The reason I have used it this long is because despite the side effects of continuous breakthrough bleeding, I have been away at school and unable to visit my doctor for anew prescription. I am sexually active and did not want to take myself off birth control. DO NOT TAKE SEASONIQUE. For the first two months everything was OK, minus occasional extreme cramps. But I am on my third month of my third pack, and I have had breakthrough bleeding for TWENTY FIVE DAYS now. This does not only scare me in health areas, but it is making me extremely depressed.
Comments:   N/A

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   1 Pill a Day taken once a day for the period of For 3 months
Other conditions:   Nausea, Vomiting, Mood Swings, Weight Gain, Spotting
Other drugs taken:   None.

Benefits:   Well, I didnt have any babies, so I guess Seasonique did its job. My pimples cleard up.
Side effects:   Horrible HORRIBLE nausea for the first month or so. And I would vomit almost everyday, whether I ate something or not, it didnt matter, it was coming up. Sometimes eatting something would help, and sometimes I actually didnt throw up. But if I didnt eat anything, then it was guarenteed I would be paying a visit to my good friend: the toilet. I would usually take my pill at 8 in the morning, and the nausea would finally end around 3pm. This happned EVERYDAY. But around month 2 is where it would be ok, till month three, where I would have light spotting, then it would get heavier and heavier till it was as if I was having a full blown period.
Comments:   I have taken this about 3 different times, for three months at a time because thats what the doctor gave me. But this past time of taking it, I remember thinking "This is so not worth it!" as I couched over the toilet. So I recently switched to Ortho Cyclen and and going to test this one out to see if its any better. Seasonique is not bad, perhaps it was just me with the horrible side effects, but I will probably never take this ever again.

Seasonique review by 21 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1 pill taken 1 pill every day for the period of 3 MONTHS

Benefits:   I thought the benefits would be one period every 3 months, pregnancy prevention, regulated periods. I also read that they would be lighter and shorter and help with acne. WRONG!
Side effects:   Well I was quite leary about starting Seasonique, I was already taking Yaz and I loved it, but 4 periods a year why pass that up. From the moment I started taking it, it wasn't a decreased sex drive, I had none at all, which made the birth control completely useless to me. In addition to that, the acne just kept getting worse, I didn't have acne to begin with besides the occasional blemish here and there. It started getting worse on my face, then my chest, then my back, (it's not just one here or one there, my back, chest, and chin are seriously covered) I've even had one on my ribs! Crazy! My boobs no longer fit into my bras, even some shirts. It was like they doubled in size overnight (not a huge problem, just annoying with no explanation). I went out and bought a bra, a week later it didn't even cover my boobs. Lastly, I've been fretting the last 2 weeks because I still haven't gotten my period! I never had a problem with my periods showing up in the past, they've always been lighter and not very long, pretty ideal actually. The Dr. said I would bleed between... still not bleeding! I've taken 3 pregnancy tests, wasted 10 bucks on each! Oh yeah, I've been crying for no reason at all the last month. I started crying over some lady I didn't even know at work. I do not recommend taking Seasonique. I know it must be expensive although I don't know how much because my Dr. gave me sample packs and I'm not going to bother refilling it. Also they give you a coupon for $50 off and $25 off the next refill, if they are giving that much off it must be a lot. It wasn't terrible, just nothing was expected (and I still have no clue as to why I haven't gotten a period yet). I've tried several other birth control pills and never had any side effects with any of them. This is the first time I tried one where I only get a period every three months so maybe those are way different or something. If you are looking for a good pill, Yaz worked great for me and I never had any breakthrough bleeding, mood swings, loss of sex drive, acne or anything. Hope this helps.
Comments:   1 pill every day for 12 weeks, then 1 week of period pills

Seasonique review by 24 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   1 Tablet by mouth taken once a day, everyday for the period of One month
Other conditions:   n/a

Benefits:   Fewer periods, a big plus for any woman.
Side effects:   Spotting between periods (started off heavy like a period, but lightened up as time progressed), breast tenderness (do to fluid build-up), breasts became larger in size (once more, do to fluid build-up), and bloating.
Comments:   Although the beginning stages of taking the pill were somewhat uncomfortable, Seasonique has remained a staple in modern birth control. I would suggest this medication to any woman that is tired of dealing with a period every month (which is the majority of us). The only thing that you need to keep an eye on, besides taking the pill everyday, is when its time for your cycle ITS THERE! Even though you're on the pill does not mean you still can't get pregnant. Take tests every three weeks to ensure there are no surprises in store for you.

Seasonique review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   1 a day (dosage frequency: everyday) for the period of Forever

Benefits:   This pill is awesome!
Side effects:   Except for mild breakthrough bleeding (results of not taking it at same time every day) nothing.
Comments:   I have been on the Birth control patch for years and after switching to seasonique, the change is amazing. My mood swings have stopped, my sex drive is back and my period is almost non-existant! This is seriously going to save my marriage ;) Love this pill!!!!

Seasonique review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   prevent pregnancy/reduce frequency of migraines
Dosage & duration:   0.15mg taken once a day for the period of three months

Benefits:   Pregnancy was prevented.
Side effects:   I had my period (some spotting, but mostly consistent bleeding) for two out of the three months of my first pill pack. I also fought off migraines for about three days of the last month (middle of the month). I also had the worst acne I've had since I was a teenager.
Comments:   I don't understand this question.

Seasonique review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Prevent Menstral Migranes
Dosage & duration:   1 pill/day taken everyday for the period of over 1 year
Other drugs taken:   Kariva

Benefits:   Experienced 1 migrane in the past year since on seasonique - before seasonique I was getting a migrane at least 6-7 times a year during periods. Not missing time with my family every month or work.
Side effects:   Noticed light skin iritation. Take the light skin iritation over a migrane any day!
Comments:   n/a

Condition / reason:   Preventing Pregnancy
Dosage & duration:   1 pill a day taken once a day for the period of 4 weeks
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   Prevented pregnancy
Side effects:   I have bled for 3 1/2 weeks. Began with huge clots and now minor spotting. Major moods swings. I cry for no reason at all. Breast are very tender. Decrease in libido. I donot like this BC. Would prefer to use condoms.
Comments:   This pill is suppose to provide 4 periods a year. However it does not advertise break through bleeding that has lasted for more than 20 days.

Condition / reason:   Preventing Pregnancy
Dosage & duration:   3 month dose (dosage frequency: since june 2009) for the period of Since June 2009
Other conditions:   No Sex Drive
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   preventing pregnancy
Side effects:   This pill was great b/c i didn't have any periods and also prevented pregnancy, but that doesn't help you don't have ANY sex drive. I didn't have any sex drive at all... not decreased. none at all. horrible. switching back to Ortho-Tricyclene lo. I'd been on that since 2002.
Comments:   n/a

Seasonique review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pregnancy prevention
Dosage & duration:   1 pill a day taken daily for the period of 9 months, 3 month break then 9 months
Other conditions:   migraines

Benefits:   Very few side effects and no baby. I started taking the pill because I wouldn't stop bleeding after having my daughter. My doctor prescribed another type of pill and it stopped it immediately. So after my next appointment, I told him I wanted something more permanent and seasonique was the answer.
Side effects:   breakthrough bleeding. I took seasonique for nine months and had 20 days of breakthrough bleeding every three months. It didn't matter if I took the pill everyday at the same time or took one later or even skipped one, it was always 20 days of breakthrough bleeding (at the least, 20 days). The last straw was starting the end of July and still having breakthrough bleeding on my birthday at the end of August. And to make matters worse, starting my period three days after it finally stopped!
Comments:   Stopped taking the pill and asked for something else.

Seasonique review by 17 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Prevention of pregnancy/Lighter periods
Dosage & duration:   Not sure (dosage frequency: everyday once a day) for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   Nausea, Dizzyness

Benefits:   Prevented pregnancy & acne
Side effects:   I started taking birth control because it was a month before prom and i was scheduled to have my period then and i would have had it when i was going on a trip to florida, which i was not having. My doctor told me i would probably still get my period around those times, just very light. However i did not get any spotting for three months, i got my period a week ago and it's getting worse. The cramps on a scale of 1 to 10 are at 11, and it went from very light to heavy. I'm not even at the end of the pack yet! I don't recommend seasonique. I was told to take motrin, that hasn't even helped. I've felt like i'm in labor for a week now.
Comments:   I was actually rushed to the hospital last night because the cramps were so severe. All day i felt a little pain now and then, however towards the end of the day it got unbearable. I was sitting in the air conditioning and i started to feel really hot out of nowhere, had difficulty breathing, nausea, and felt like i was literally about to faint. I'm going to try to get off this pill and try something else as soon as i can!

Condition / reason:   Pregnancy Prevention
Dosage & duration:   1 pill daily; same time. taken daily for the period of 1+ years
Other conditions:   Asthma
Other drugs taken:   Singulair, Alavert

Benefits:   Excellent at preventing pregnancy. Definitely recommend for 4 periods a year.
Side effects:   I continued to have moderate-severe cramping during my period, despite the low dose estrogen used to prevent during the "yellow week". My face breaks out in the "oily" areas only before my period (like it has my entire life). I've noticed my skin scars easier, as others have mentioned. I've had no migraines or mood swings. I don't recall the first few months being horrible, maybe some nausea - which I have experienced with other BC pills, as well. Overall, I would say mild, predictable side effects.
Comments:   N/A

Seasonique review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Migraine + Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   1 a day (dosage frequency: 1 a day) for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   5 months

Benefits:   I had been on Quasense (a generic for a different type of extended BC) and liked it a lot but I noticed when I would go off the pill (for period) I would get extreme migraines when my hormones fluctuated. Switched to Seasonique since there are hormones in the last week of pills which my doctor thought might reduce headaches. Nope. After the first three months I had my period and had the same terrible migraines. I gave it three more months but had the same results. The good news? Not pregnant.
Side effects:   I experienced a number of side effects without even connecting it to the pill. Once I read about all the side effects online it was an "ah ha" moment. Weight gain --I am a runner and eat well and I have gained 10 pounds in six months. I workout 5-6 times a week and didn't change my diet and couldn't figure it out. I look forward to losing those extra lbs! Acne --TERRIBLE acne. I've never had a problem with my skin and my face exploded. I had big cysts on my cheeks. I also experienced night sweats. I cannot recommend Seasonique.
Comments:   One pill a day at the same time each day.

Seasonique review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   lessen periods due to pain with adenomyosis
Dosage & duration:   1 pill daily for 3 months taken every day for the period of only 3 months
Other conditions:   nausea for first few weeks, acne, mood swings, weight gain, skin changes

Benefits:   It did help with my pain that comes with my adenomyosis. And it's nice to not have a period every month.
Side effects:   I have had spotting now for almost a month. I have gained about 5-10 pounds, which is not fun. I've had weird skin changes, and severe mood swings. I also feel bloated all the time.
Comments:   none

Seasonique review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   birth control
Dosage & duration:   1 pill once per day taken once a day for the period of 6 days
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   5 mg. celexa

Benefits:   I was excited to have only 4 periods per year, but I never got that far, as I quit taking it after six days because of severe depression, crankiness, fatigue, uncontrollable hunger water retention and weight gain.
Side effects:   Severe depression, crankiness, fatigue, hunger/cravings, water retention, weight gain - 3 lbs in one week!!! I am very active, work out - resistance training and cardio. The hunger and the weight gain and water retention did NOT work with my lifestyle.
Comments:   I wouldn't take this pill if you are susecptible to depression or anxiety, or if you are a fitness-minded person and care how you feel in your clothes. Very expensive as well. My health insurance doesn't cover scripts, and even with a $50 coupon from my OB/GYN, I still paid $160!

Seasonique review by 19 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   heavy periods/cramping
Dosage & duration:   n/a (dosage frequency: one pill per day) for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   Prevented pregnancy
Side effects:   Breakthrough bleeding, headaches, extreme breast tenderness, breakouts.
Comments:   I was very skeptical about taking Seasonique, because some friends of mine had taken it in the past and did not have good experiences. However, I had always experienced heavy periods and cramping, even after trying 3 different birth controls so I decided to give it a try. My doctor assured me that Seasonique was safe and I shouldn't have any severe side effects. After only a couple weeks, I started experiencing headaches and extreme breast tenderness. I didn't think much of it at first, but then I started experiencing more side effects. I have been blessed with great skin, only having a few pimples throughout my lifetime. However, after being on Seasonique for about a month, I started to notice my skin was frequently breaking out. I didn't want to stop taking birth control, so I figured I would give it a little bit longer to adjust to my body. About a month and a half into taking Seasonique, I began to breakthrough bleed. I had a full blown period for exactly 3 weeks. I consulted my doctor about a week into the period and she assured me it was totally normal. While on Seasonique, I could definitely feel significant changes in my body that were not normal for me. For these reasons, I would NOT recommend Seasonique to anyone.

Condition / reason:   birth control
Dosage & duration:   one pill everyday taken once a day for the period of ten months

Benefits:   My acne has definatly cleared up and my period is so much better and lighter. unlike all the other adds i had absolutly no bleed through.
Side effects:   I have gotten migranes since i was a teenager and since starting this pill i feel they are more likely.
Comments:   I really like seasonique. i love only having four periods a year

Seasonique review by 22 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   birth control
Dosage & duration:   1 pill every day ,4 periods a year taken 1 pill a day for the period of i am now on the 2nd month
Other conditions:   lumps in breast,dryness of the mouth

Benefits:   4 periods a month 3-5 lbs weight gain
Side effects:   only been on seasonique for 1 month and 1 week i have lost all sex drive which for me is a big difference ( husband thought it was his fault) my breast were sore for 3 days and became 3 sizes bigger..breast are still sore and i have mobile lumps in my breast that occured .i actually made an apt. with my Doctor for tomorrow 5-13-10 about the lumps..something they dont tell you but is in the fine print in the boxes in the WARNING SIGNS is that it causes lumps and breast cancer..i am really hopeing it is not..beside that every side affect i feel is what would happen if pregnant..dizzyness,nausea,irritable,fatige ,breast swelling..but i am not pregnant (checked today negative) and yes i have also seen acne breakouts on my face and chest..
Comments:   1 PILL A DAY ON THE 3RD MONTH YOU WOULD GET A LIGHT/SPOTTING PERIOD THAT LAST 3-5 DAYS AS NORMAL..OVER TIME THERE WILL BE NO PERIOD..

Seasonique review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Have not stop bleeding
Dosage & duration:   Seasonique (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of more than a month
Other conditions:   Bloat, Cramps, lack of sleep, not stop bleeding

Benefits:   None
Side effects:   Bleeding not even Spotting
Comments:   Ladies: I am sure you may have done lots of researches by now regarding taking Seasonique (PLEASE do before you try to take this drug), and there are lots of negative than positive comments on this drug. I would like to point out a couple of my comments to share with you. I normally have 4 - 5 days menstrual periods every month. But I was not happy and tried to be on this drug because it described 4 periods only per year (WOW! what a great idea, especially I have small child, school, work, and husband). Guess what happen since then? I have been bleeding almost 2 weeks now, and from light to heavy, the worst part is I get all these uncomfortable cramps, keep waking up at night, my personalities change from good to bad, I have not been in a good mood since then. of course not, how can I be in a good mood when my vagina keeps bleeding on me every single day (I am sure no woman likes that), and so on. I spoke with my OB, and she said it's normal. I don't think so, it is completely not normal to me. I have been bleeding, and ruin my daily life style. No wonder it is called Birth Control. How can you have sex with your partner while you have all these symtomps in your body especially bleeding? I stop this drug, and can't wait to have my clean dates back. Ladies: I am not saying all the women's body are the same. But if you want to be on this drug. I would advise you do more researches and read more comments before trying, and other advise is if you think it's a good idea for 4 periods per year, you may want to think twice. Because it's a mother nature for women that has 13 menstrual periods every year, trying to change it and playing with your hormones are the game, unless you like to gamble, then you may want to try this excitment drug, and hope you will win. Otherwise, please consider something else. I am so regret that I did not read all the comments and reviews before I asked my OB to put me on this drug. Therefore, I have to suffer what I deserve (I guess). I just don't want to see another woman to be suffered like me, as I finally found out there are lots of women out there are taking the same drug (before I made up my mind to throw this drug away) that are suffering the same symtomps but still want to continue and hopefully that will work one day. For me, "no is no". You can call me chicken or looser or whatsoever. But let me tell you, it is defintely not fun if the drug makes your life changes from okay to worse! Final words...... Good luck if you are on this prescription, and I hope you win, if not, you defintely need these words "Good Luck"! :)

Seasonique review by 18 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ovarian cysts.
Dosage & duration:   N/A (dosage frequency: everyday.) for the period of 3 months.
Other conditions:   none.
Other drugs taken:   none.

Benefits:   To reduce pain during periods.
Side effects:   High depression, anxiety attacks, heart palpitations.
Comments:   The pill was nice to keep you off your period, i took my pill everyday at different times, but the side effects were effecting the way i was living. I couldn't handle the depression, and anxiety. I felt like i was losing it. During the pill use, i was getting dizzy spells, after a while i just felt like i couldn't handle going through a day.

Seasonique review by 19 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   birth control
Dosage & duration:   one pill a day taken once a day at the same time for the period of three months

Benefits:   I assume this birth control prevented pregnancy effectively. My boyfriend and I used it as a back up.
Side effects:   I've been on seasonique for three months now and they've been absolutely miserable. For starters, I'm 19 and NEVER have break outs. As soon as I started this pill, I began breaking out every few days. This pill has made me gain about ten pounds. I've been spotting for a month and a half. I have horrible cramps everyday. I'm EXTREMELY moody and emotional. I cry about absolutely nothing at all and snap at the smallest things. I get crazy hot flashes, I'll be freezing one minute and sweating the next. My back also hurts at times.
Comments:   switched pills

Seasonique review by 22 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth control. Prevention of pregnacy
Dosage & duration:   1 pill a day taken everyday for the period of 1 month
Other conditions:   Moodiness, cramps, dry skin, no sex drive, break through bleeding.
Other drugs taken:   nothing

Benefits:   It prevented pregnacy.
Side effects:   Extreme moodiness, Etreme cramps, Extreme depression, No sex drive, tired all the time, head aches, Extreme gas.
Comments:   This birth control is terrible. I am 22 years old, this is my first time ever taking any type of birth control, and I have to say I will never take any form of birth control ever again. I have been taking seasonique for one month now. The first week I felt like I had the flu. Then I started feeling normal. All I have been craving is sweet food (chocolate, cake, muffins). I have not wanted to eat anything else. I have bad headaches all the time, I am gaining weight,I have had break through bleeding along with bad cramps, etreme moodiness and depression, I am tired all the time, I have no sex drive and all around not fun to be around. :( No more Seasonique for me!