Restasis (Cyclosporine Ophthalmic) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Restasis (Cyclosporine Ophthalmic) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 8 ratings/reviews, Restasis has an overall score of 7.38. The effectiveness score is 7.25 and the side effect score is 8.50. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Restasis review by medical professional caring for 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   dry eyes
Dosage & duration:   0.05 % twice a day (dosage frequency: 6 months) for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   blepharitis

Benefits:   Restasis helps with tear related problems: dryness, reflex overtearing, mucous discharge, irritated eyes, redness and lid swelling. It can irritate at the initial time of therapy but with extra artificial tears this effect is lessoned.
Side effects:   some people get prolonged stinging for 5 to 10 minutes and occasionally increased redness and lid swelling
Comments:   maintainence for chronic dry eye and sometimes helpful for blepharitis as well.

Restasis review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   chronic dry eyes
Dosage & duration:   2 drops each eye BID (dosage frequency: bid) for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   Zovia

Benefits:   significantly improved dryness of eyes
Side effects:   none
Comments:   Have had chronically dry eyes for years. Regular eye drops helped temporarily (but blurred vision). Also had Herrick plugs, which seemded to help for awhile. Then doc finally recommended Restasis, and eyes have become much less dry. Very pleased with the results of the treatment.

Restasis review by 68 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   severe dry eyes
Dosage & duration:   drop each eye (dosage frequency: 2x day 12 hours apart) for the period of 60 days
Other conditions:   itchy upper lids
Other drugs taken:   Blink eyedrops

Benefits:   After 6 weeks began to reduce the itchy swollen eyes. Long distance vision gradually cleared and returned to near normal. After an additional three weeks the itchiness is continuing to reduce and the distance vision is continuing to improve. Eyes are still itchy but I have gone from putting over-the-counter eye drops in my eyes more than 10x during an eight hour period to about 2x during an eight hour period. I have improved from barely being able to read the top line of the eye chart to almost normal vision.
Side effects:   Severe burning sensation in eyes about one minute after applying drops. This burning sensation did not always occur. When the burning sensation occurred my eyes were photosensitive so I had to remain in a dark room for about 15 minutes. I wore dark glasses for about one hour after leaving the dark room. I put the eye drops in my eyes in the morning and before going to bed at night. This meant some mornings I would be leaving for work at 6am (quite dark out) with dark glasses on as any amount of light was painful.
Comments:   Had very dry itching eyes. Difficult to determine if part was allergies. Was referred to retinal specialist by my eye physician because of severely decreased vision. Specialist prescribed the restasis and some different eye drops. Returned in about 6 weeks with distinctly better vision but continued burning and itchy eyes. Am to continue treatment and return in another six weeks. Have noticed a reduction in itchiness since last visit and a small improvement in distance vision.

Restasis review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   dry eye
Dosage & duration:   0.05% twice a day (dosage frequency: 0.05% twice a day) for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   This did nothing for my dry eyes, which cause me to have blurry vision at times.
Side effects:   Stinging when first applied, lasting approximately 15 minutes, and some redness.
Comments:   This medication is very expensive. Without insurance expect to pay between $270 - $300 for a month supply, depending on which pharmacy you use. Even with insurance it costs me $68 a month. If you read the insert that comes with the drops it states that clinical trials show only 15% of patients show improvement. Had I read that BEFORE I wasted the money on 3 montjs worth of this stuff I wouldn't have even bothered. Waste of money!

Restasis review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   dry eye
Dosage & duration:   one dropper twice a day (dosage frequency: one dropper twice a day) for the period of have been taking fr 1 yr & am continuing

Benefits:   Considerably reduced dry eye and the uncomfortable itchyness that comes with dry eye. Eye Doctor felt the dry eye was 80% better within 30 days.
Side effects:   There is sometimes a burning and blurred vision. The sides effect were mild and last only minutes.
Comments:   Although Restasis has not and will not "cure" my dry eye and I will probably have to use it the rest of my life, it has considerably eleminated the uncormfortable symptoms.

Restasis review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   dry eyes
Dosage & duration:   .4mL (1-2 drops in each eye 2x /day) (dosage frequency: 2x per day) for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Restasis dramatically improved issues related to dry eyes, the primary problems were discomfort (the feeling that something was in my eye) and obvious redness. Both issues disappeared when I started taking restsis. There was a short period where I ran out of restasis and stopped, after about a week the dry eye symptoms had reappeared, only to do away when I resumed treatment.
Side effects:   there were not any side effects.
Comments:   1-2 eye drops twice a day

Restasis review by 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Sjogren's Syndrome
Dosage & duration:   1 gtt each eye (dosage frequency: bid) for the period of 5 yrs
Other conditions:   fibromyalgia
Other drugs taken:   fish oil, multivitamin, calcium

Benefits:   The drug is supposed to help decrease tear production. My eyes are still dry and get irritated easily. However, they are better than before I started the drug. On the ocassions when I have stopped using it for 2-3 weeks, my symptoms worsen, so it does appear to be helping.
Side effects:   There were no noticeable side effects to this drug.
Comments:   I insert 1 drop of Restasis in each eye morning and evening. In between I use preservative free artificial tears as needed.

Restasis review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Dry eye
Dosage & duration:   .05% (dosage frequency: 1 drop in each eye 2xday) for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   After several months using these drops I really could not tell much benefit. However, when I stopped using them for a month the dry eye problem was bad enough to make me realize they had been helping enough to make me realize I was better off with them than without. I continue to use them.
Side effects:   I had no side effects except some slight burning once in a while when I put them in my eye.
Comments:   I was to put one drop in each eye in the morning and again in the evening.