Renova (Tretinoin) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Renova (Tretinoin) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 34 ratings/reviews, Renova has an overall score of 6.88. The effectiveness score is 6.76 and the side effect score is 7.06. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Renova review by 61 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hyperpigmentation
Dosage & duration:   .1% (dosage frequency: 1x every other night) for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   facial wrinkles

Benefits:   Tretinoin, used in conjunction with the Obagi regimen, greatly reduced facial hyperpigmention which was due to hormones and sun damage.
Side effects:   Severe redness, burning and peeling occurred in the first 6-8 months of use, but gradually dissipated.
Comments:   Tretinoin (pea size) was blended on the back of the hand with an equal amount of Blender (#5 step in the Obagi system). The mixture was then applied to the face, neck and chest avoiding the eyes and lips. The residual cream remaining on the hand was spread on the back of the hands to reduce "age spots". No noticeable side effects were evident on the hands, but the procedure was effective. Care was taken not to expose the treated areas to sunlight.

Renova review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   Apply once daily (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of One month
Other conditions:   wrinkles

Benefits:   Wrinles seemed less defined
Side effects:   Rash, red eyes
Comments:   Apply once dayly

Renova review by 62 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   aging skin, wrinkles, sag
Dosage & duration:   0.05% (dosage frequency: 1 x at night) for the period of 6 mo & continuing to use
Other conditions:   age spots
Other drugs taken:   Flonase

Benefits:   Hoping that contuined use will imporve my age spots and skin firmness.
Side effects:   Tight feeling of my facial skin. Drier skin than normal requiring more applications of moisturizer.
Comments:   I wash my face with a sulfate free cleanser and rinse. Wait 20 minutes and then apply the Renova cream to my face and around my eyes and mouth. Also slightly under my chin. I've found Renova irritates my neck skin making is red and itching.

Renova review by 24 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   .025 (dosage frequency: every now and then) for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   retin-A

Benefits:   good for skin
Side effects:   none
Comments:   take alongside .05 retin-A treatment alternative, good stuff

Renova review by 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   aging skin on face
Dosage & duration:   0.1% & 0.5 % (dosage frequency: once at night) for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   peeling, redness
Other drugs taken:   blood pressure, hormones

Benefits:   I feel the treatment was very helpful in keeping my skin clear looking,and i think somewhat tighter, it also gave my face a healthy color and appearance ,it was less dull the way aging skin can become. I also think it did keep some lines at bay.it gave me a much improved appearance,i have been using renova for a few years and I will continue to use this cream for a long time to come.
Side effects:   peeling for the first few weeks and a lot of redness in the first 2 weeks also.
Comments:   in the evening after washing my face lightly without hard rubbing ,using a mild face cleanser, i would let it dry for a good half hour then apply the renova cream also lightly no hard rubing in ,then let it be absorbed into skin.

Renova review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   0.025% (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   slight skin discoloration

Benefits:   Cleared the adul acne quickly and also helped with discoloration.
Side effects:   Redness and skin sensitivity
Comments:   Used once each night after cleansing with a mild, soap-free cleanser. Used a sunscreen of SPF 15 daily.

Renova review by 18 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   0.025% (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of three months
Other drugs taken:   tetracycline

Benefits:   Reduced acne
Side effects:   dry, peeling skin redness sometimes stings
Comments:   Tetracycline 4 times a day (2 times) and tretinoin at night

Renova review by 32 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   topical 1xdaily (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of three months

Benefits:   Once the side effects wore off, I was left with much smoother skin, and less acne. I noticed a reduction in fine lines and wrinkles, and an overall better texture to my skin.
Side effects:   Initially, I had irritated, red, flaking, peeling skin in the areas I applied the lotion.
Comments:   apply small amount to affected area once daily. apply in circular motion until fully absorbed

Renova review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anti aging
Dosage & duration:   .05 (dosage frequency: every day) for the period of two years
Other conditions:   wrinkles

Benefits:   At first, there was some minor improvement in the texture of my skin but then it began to degrade the area around my eye. The skin became thinner in appearance and more and more dry. It seemed to be harming my skin. At that point my dermotologist said my skin may be too sensitive. I do not feel that I have sensitive skin because while I may have a pale color skin, it has a olive tone. I do not sunburn very easily. Then I switched to ROC but had similar results.
Side effects:   Dry and thinning skin.
Comments:   I followed the directions which were to increase it gradually. Another drug that I have had success with is hydroquinone. It does bleach out my melasma very well but it takes perservance and regularity in its application.

Renova review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   aging skin, few break-outs, hyperpigmentation
Dosage & duration:   use daily on affected areas; .o5% (dosage frequency: i use daily under moisturizer) for the period of several years
Other conditions:   rosacea, some adult acne, drier skin with aging, few wrinkles with aging
Other drugs taken:   glycolic acid 20%, Noritate for Rosacea

Benefits:   My skin is clear and people have complimented me on the appearance of my complexion. My rosacea is under control, my hyperpigmentation is fading
Side effects:   No side effects except that I notice my skin is a bit tighter/drier, but this could be because it's winter and I need a much better day/night moisturizer.
Comments:   I alternate glycolic acid 20% cream, tretinoin .05% cream, or Noritate cream under day or night moisturizer (ie a different treatment applied morning and night; the next day starts with treatment not used previously)

Renova review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne, wrinkles
Dosage & duration:   .05% (dosage frequency: 1x daily) for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   I experienced a some evening of skin tone, somewhat smaller pores and very slight improvement in crowes feet
Side effects:   itchy skin, burning sensation on face, rash and scaling/peeling
Comments:   During the first 6 to 8 weeks, my skin became scaly, itchy and rashy. After 8 weeks my skin began to tolerate the cream a little better but it continued to itch and burn even after one year of use. I never used more then a pea size per the insturctions but the itching, dryness and rash never went away. It was very difficult to wear an type of makeup that didnt irritate my skin, while using this product. I made the mistake of using this product under my eyes, i learned later that this cream is not intended for use under eyes and due to the drying affect of this product, it did make the fine llines under my eyes appear worse. I did not see any improvement of the acne on my cheek, and in fact, suffered worse acne while using Tretinoin.

Renova review by 29 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne & sun damaged skin
Dosage & duration:   .04% cream (dosage frequency: every night) for the period of 1 month (ongoing)
Other drugs taken:   minocycline

Benefits:   The skin texture appears improved after only 4 weeks of use. I have much acne less breakouts and day by day I see a steady improvement. My skin is much smoother than before and starts having a beautiful glow (which it hasn't had in years!)
Side effects:   I did have slight skin irritation during the first 2 weeks of use and after the second week I started having a few acne cysts (which is apparently a normal skin reaction during the first weeks of treatment). Nevertheless, I asked my doctor to put me on minocycline in order to avoid additional acne scars. This combination (Retin-A-Micro & Mincycline) works wonders!
Comments:   I apply a thin layer of retin-a-micro gel every night after cleansing on my face and onto the acne prone areas on the chest. In order to avoid skin irritation, I used as little gel as possible during the first weeks. I think this is why I had only minor side effects. My skin has started to be used to the medication and I therefore can now use a bit more (though still a thin layer).

Condition / reason:   Cystic acne on chin and jaw
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once per day for the period of 3 months
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   Hormonal cysts cleared up and did not recur after 3 years. My lips were rather dry and I had to moisturise them frquently. But the treatment was 100% effective and entirely worthwhile.
Side effects:   Dry lips. Greater need for sun protection.
Comments:   I took the medication for 3 months and my cystic acne disappeared. I had my liver function monitored during the treatment. All went smoothly.

Renova review by 62 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   5% (dosage frequency: every day) for the period of a week

Benefits:   none-i wanted to see some skin improvement of wrinkles but the side ffects of buning and redness were too severe to wait-not sure ahat else I can say here-i just discontinued the use-had to
Side effects:   burning and redness, had to stop using-it was therefore not effective for me-either my skin was too fragile or the product was just too strong for someone y age perhaps
Comments:   apply cream at night-that is what i was told-i had used it years ago when i was much younger and it was fine then-just not suitable for older more fragile skin i suppose

Renova review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Adult acne
Dosage & duration:   .05 (dosage frequency: once a year) for the period of 4 years

Benefits:   Improved skin condition. Blackheads are noticibly smaller and the the pores are not as noticeable. Fine wrinckles have been minimized. My skin is no longer so oily which I like.
Side effects:   Minimal flaking if a few days of application was missed. A bit more sensitiveness to other creams that have hydroxy acids.
Comments:   Nightly application of the prescription cream for 4 years.

Condition / reason:   facial skin
Dosage & duration:   .05% (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of still use - over several years

Benefits:   My skin looked much better and my pores became much smaller. Many people remarked that I had a much smoother look. Also kept wrinkles from forming.
Side effects:   Scaly patches on the sides of my face that would come and go.
Comments:   Used a daily portion about the size of a pea (or smaller) and rubbed thinly over my face and under my eyes.

Renova review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   aging
Dosage & duration:   1x/day (dosage frequency: 1x/day) for the period of 3 mos
Other conditions:   gave me rosasae like symptoms

Benefits:   smoother cheeks, skin, No other benefits.
Side effects:   red bumps, scaley dryness, breakouts around nose and chin, rash on neck and chest. Did not like the smell of the product. Took months to reverse the rash around nose and on chin. Had to try numerous other products to reverse side effects. Skin became extremely sensitive to all other products.
Comments:   use 1 x / day--stopped use. Easy to use.

Renova review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   prevent aging, improve skin
Dosage & duration:   0.02% (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   The product helped skin to look healthy, helped a small amount to reduce pigmentation and wrinkling. The product helped to maintain the skin at it's current level with some improvement in look. The 60 gm tube lasted almost a year and so it was an affordable treatment for the skin.
Side effects:   face became easily red and irritated with exercise, wind, cold temperatures. I could not find a cleanser that did not irritate my face. I tried several cleansers and had to use a product made for sensitive skin such as cetaphil or neutrogena. Make-up also became and issue due to the sensitivity of the skin. It would take over an hour for my skin to calm down after and irritant.
Comments:   Apply renova at bedtime waiting atleast 30 minutes after washing face. I had to extend the time I waited after washing to an hour to try to reduce the sensitivity of my skin. I also applied the renova every other day during the summer or times when I knew there would be a skin irritant to try and reduce sensitivity.

Renova review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   wrinkles
Dosage & duration:   0.025% (dosage frequency: 1 daily) for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   sun damage

Benefits:   The treatmeant benifits are that I showed a slight decrease in wrinkles. I really think that if used with other products it could be better. I also used sunscreen everyday. I really didn't see a difference in the sagging of the skin . I thought it would help with collagen production. I am continuing to use the product. I hope I see a difference.
Side effects:   The side effects are dry skin. I can't wax my eyebrows without having the skin peeled off. I know they say to stop 3 days before you wax but it doesn't help. Also, living in florida, my skin became very sensitive to the sunlight. I also get a slight tingling when I apply my sunblock or lotion.
Comments:   I went to my doctor and asked for a wrinkle treatment. He give me some samples of the creame. He then wrote me out a year prescription of the creame. He told me to apply it twice a day but, if my skin becomes dry, to reduce it to one a day. I preceeded to do that and it stopped some of the dryness.

Condition / reason:   Cystic acne on chin and jaw
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once per day for the period of 3 months
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   Eliminated hormonal cysts; 3 years with no recurrence.
Side effects:   Dry lips.
Comments:   Roaccutane was prescribed for late onset adult acne consisting of large cysts on the chin and jaw. Improvement was observed within 10 days. Liver function was monitored. Complete remission of all symptoms for over 3 years. A highly satisfactory outcome.

Renova review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   wrinkles
Dosage & duration:   pea size amount, once daily (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of 3 weeks
Other drugs taken:   azothioprine

Benefits:   My skin was much smoother and the pore size seemed to shrink. Wrinkles were dimininshed and age spots lightened.
Side effects:   I developed acne that continnued to worsen until I stopped using it. I had peeling and redness around my chin and peeling on my forehead.
Comments:   Each night I washied my face with a mild clanser and waited for 20 minutes as reccommended by the prescription instructions. I then applied a pea size amount of the treatment to my entire face. I stopped using all the other skin care products I had been using before such as astringents, & benzoil peroxide. My skin became very dry and peeled off during the day. Ane I developed large bumps and shallow flat white pussy blemishes all over my face, particularly on my chin & forehead. I could see, however, that without this the texture and pore size improving, and my wrinkles on my forehead and around my eyes were noticably improving. I discontinued use after 3 weeks and went back to using benzoil peroxide to try to calm down the acne. After 2 weeks it is starting to get better, but my skin is rougher now and the winkles and lines around my eyes are back to the way they were before I started the treatment.

Renova review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   wrinkles
Dosage & duration:   thin layer (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of six mos
Other conditions:   large pores
Other drugs taken:   HRT

Benefits:   Some reduction in wrinkles and pores were observied, but I'm not sure if it's the Renova or the Fraxel or the combination.
Side effects:   Slight irritation at first with Renova. Fraxel treatments cause swelling and redness for a few days. Not too bad. But the Renova will sometimes cause skin to peel off and flake - looks bad but only lasts a day.
Comments:   I'm doing Fraxel treatements once every 4-6 wks, combined with Renova every night (except right after the Fraxel treatment). Some improvement has been observed.

Renova review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   sun damage & fine lines
Dosage & duration:   0.05% (dosage frequency: 3 times per week) for the period of 1 year
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   Skin in certain areas (e.g. forehead, cheeks) sun damage became less noticeable. Fine lines have slightly improved. However fine lines on the lower eyelids have become worse. It was therefore, not used on fine lines on the lower eyelids the entire 1 year. I have used it approximately 4 months out of the 1 year in this area. It made it crease up and look wrinkled
Side effects:   Dry skin. Flaky Skin. Breakouts during the first 6-8 weeks. Irritation to my lips even though I do not apply it here. My lips feel sore by the next morning. Under eyes creasing up
Comments:   Renova applied once at nightime approx 20 minutes after cleansing. If skin was particularly dry a light moisturiser would be applied approximately 20 minutes after the Renova was applied

Renova review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   melasma
Dosage & duration:   0.025% (dosage frequency: once per day) for the period of 4 weeks
Other drugs taken:   Hydroquinone

Benefits:   Faint pigmentation started to disappear after ten days of use, and dark ones continued to become lighter. Overall, skin became smoother and lighter after cleansing.
Side effects:   Sever redness and scaling occurred especially around the chin and the cheek, which could not be covered with makeup. Mild itching sensation was a little disturbing to focus at work.
Comments:   Applied at night, after cleansing the face, more than thirty minutes before going to bed. Used ~1 cm of the cream for entire face and neck, followed with 4% Hydroquinone solution. When swelling occurred, application was omitted until it disappears, which usually took place in 24 hours.

Renova review by 50 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   .05 (dosage frequency: nightly) for the period of 30 years

Benefits:   smoother skin,less lines on the face and neck area,collagen in skin is firmer and supple
Side effects:   mild flaking, skin can become red and senatize must wear 30 block suncreen
Comments:   wash face,wait 20 minutes then applied a pea size to dry skin always wear a good suncreen about thirthy percent. Make sure to apply every two hours

Renova review by 61 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   aging skin
Dosage & duration:   .05% (dosage frequency: nightly) for the period of about 3 years now

Benefits:   smoother skin, seemed to have more color, not so pale. Smaller pores, diminished age spots, although they were still visible.
Side effects:   a bit of tenderness and redness during the first week or two. Avoid facial scrubs and sun.
Comments:   large pea size applied to entire face nightly, but having to wait til skin is ultra dry isn't always convenient.

Renova review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   For treating wrinkles
Dosage & duration:   0.025% (dosage frequency: once daily in the evening) for the period of Two months
Other conditions:   Eye irritation for a few weeks

Benefits:   Early this year I started noticing my skin around the eye beginning to lose its firmness: wrinkles formed during sleep could not be smoothed out by using Lancome eye cream. Though, applying a collagen eye product does tighten up the eyelids, but only on the surface, and causing the skin around the eye to crack following facial motions. I was very self conscious about the wrinkles. After using Renova (I've been using it for about two month now), the wrinkles are smoothed, and where the skin easily wrinkles is firmed up, supple and elastic.
Side effects:   For the initial two weeks, where I applied Renova caused a stinging sensation and a mild redness. My eyes were watery for a few weeks as well. Also, for that initial few weeks, the skin looked dry and the wrinkles looked worsened in that one-hour "drug-work" duration for which I didn't put on any moisturizer. All the symptoms are gone now, and the skin is denser and firmer and I no longer fear people looking at my wrinkles anymore.
Comments:   I asked the doctor to prescribe Renova to me.

Renova review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   skin pores/fine lines
Dosage & duration:   every other day (dosage frequency: every other day) for the period of every other day

Benefits:   I saw a reduction of pore size because I think my skin was getting tighter, I dont know if because of the drying. However, you could see a smoother appeareance. I didnt have a significant improvement in the fine lines. I am attributing this because they are expression lines under my eyes.
Side effects:   drying and peeling.
Comments:   I used it every other night as instructed. Sometimes during the weekends I didnt apply for 2 days in a row, to let my skin rest and to use other moisturizing. products. Your skin definitely gets used to renova over time. I was afraid at first because of all the negative reviews concerning irritation. Please apply only a thin layer of this product. Thanks.

Renova review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   .02% (dosage frequency: every 2 days) for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   skin looked healthier with fewer break outs and was smoother. I noticed pores becoming smaller
Side effects:   reddness, flaking, sensitive skin. Was not able to tolerate any other skin care products
Comments:   apply at night 30 minutes after cleansing. Used a pea size amount. Followed with a moisturizer. Used sun block in the morning

Renova review by 50 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   0.02% (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 9 months
Other conditions:   high blood pressure/alleries
Other drugs taken:   varapamil, dyazide, zyrtec

Benefits:   I used the product to try to reduce previous sun damage as well as discoloration and wrinkles created by aging (I'm currently 50). I feel the product did even out my skin tone at least somewhat however did not remove the larger areas of discoloration due to sun damage. Overall the condition of my skin did improve, however the effects were not as dramatic as hoped. This may be due to the discontinuation of the 0.05% formulation which would of course be more potent that the 0.02% that I could get. I will try Retin A next time around to go for the 0.05% and see if results improve further.
Side effects:   Treatment side effects were overall very minimal. I had been told to expect a considerable amount or redness and perhaps flakiness. This never occurred whatsoever and virtually no affects from application itself were noted. The two items that were noted is that I was initially not aware you could not receive waxing while using Renova and had a burn resulting from an eyebrow wax. I also did find, as stated, that I would burn much more easily in the sun.
Comments:   My skin care program prior to Renova was wash with Cetaphil, tone with a Paula Begoun antioxidant toner, 8% glycolic acid gel, moisturizer. Same in the evening. After adding Renova, same routine in morning but in evening I went to: Wash with Cetaplil, tone with same product as before, wait 30 minutes, apply Renova. On alternate nights, I add a Skin Recovery Antioxidant about 30 minutes after the Renova.

Renova review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   wrinkles
Dosage & duration:   lowest dose (dosage frequency: nightly) for the period of every other night /every night as tol.
Other conditions:   sagging skin
Other drugs taken:   thyroid drugs

Benefits:   Not sure at this point.
Side effects:   drier skin making wrinkles more prominent.
Comments:   Have used Retin-A, Tazarac for years off and on. As I've gotten older and menopausal, my skin is very dry. Was prescribed Renova and skin still very dry when I use it. I use CeraVe cleanser and CeraVe cream per derms recommendation even after using Renova but skin still very dry. I really want to continue using Retin-A and/or Renova and hope the dryness will improve.

Renova review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   aging skin
Dosage & duration:   .05% (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 5 years
Other drugs taken:   botox

Benefits:   I had less wrinkles, better tone and texture overall. People could not discern my age and wrinkles developed when I stopped using. I developed no acne during the use of Renova.
Side effects:   I developed severe hyperpigmentation and somewhat dry skin. My skin is also thinner and transparent around the eyes.
Comments:   After 5 years of daily use, I developed melasma on forehead after a single day of sun exposure. I sought treatment and used high amounts of prescription hydroquinine but the melasma is still apparent. I have been told I need light therapy to remove.

Renova review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   wrinkles
Dosage & duration:   .02% (dosage frequency: every night) for the period of 2 months
Other conditions:   mild acne

Benefits:   The treatment benefits for Renova are more skin clarity. Also, i believe the freckles on ;my face are fading quite a bit. The fine lines did not really get any better. My skin is not really that different to notice real changes
Side effects:   more sensitive skin when getting facials and wax treatement. The skin became very thin and from now on I have to do eyebrow threading instead of wax. Also, you have to be very careful in the sun. I use sunscreen so I haven't had any issues with too much sun.
Comments:   rum a quarter size amount to face every eveining