Prozac (Fluoxetine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Prozac (Fluoxetine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 51 ratings/reviews, Prozac has an overall score of 7.25. The effectiveness score is 7.88 and the side effect score is 7.25. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Prozac review by 30 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once a day for the period of 2003-present day
Other conditions:   0cd, bipolor
Other drugs taken:   multi vitamin only

Benefits:   checking myself considerably less, calm my mood swings, helped me think alot clearer,
Side effects:   when I first started them I had stomach cramp, also insomnia for the first week or so, and also got mood swings! which was strange because they got worse for the first few weeks.
Comments:   one tablet once a day administered oraly

Prozac review by 34 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken once daily for the period of 6 years
Other conditions:   overweight, chronic back pain
Other drugs taken:   buspar, ibuprofen

Benefits:   Manageability of depression.
Side effects:   Slight weight gain.
Comments:   Take one pill daily until no longer needed.

Prozac review by 27 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg a day taken once daily for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   anxiety, big appetite
Other drugs taken:   birth control pills

Benefits:   Having had severe TPM symptoms for many years, I asked my doctor for Fluoxetine. The benefits were a total feeling of "well-being". Without the extreme "high" feeling of anfetamines (taken before as part of a supervised diet regimen). High decrease on anxiety. Appetite more controled. Clearness of my thoughts. Decrease on crisis of depression (specially during the days previous to my periods). More "energy" during the day to the daily things.. decrease on obsessive compulsive (mild) disorder
Side effects:   The side effects with the intake of Fluoxetine for me included mild insomnia, headaches (specially in the beginning of the treatment). Loss of appetite. Mild change in the sense of taste. Little bit of nausea after a big meal. Or something very different from the usual food. Change in mood (varieting a lot specially in the beginning of treatment).
Comments:   Fluoxetine 20mg. Taken once daily (variation: twice daily during week previous to period). For a period of 6 months (at least 3 months; possibly to be discontinued if great increase was noticed). Not to be taken with any other drug before consulting a doctor. Not to be taken with alcoolic drinks. Not to be taken with empty stomache.

Prozac review by 45 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   sleepiness
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken twice a day for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   addh and severe depression
Other drugs taken:   ritalin

Benefits:   Ritalin made me get up. For the first time I wanted to work. It gave me the good sensation that I could do things. I worked and worked like a bee. Therefor, depression was a thing of the past when I take this medication. It help my mind to focus and stay sharp. I can concentrate better with this medication.
Side effects:   Taking prozac made me more sleepy and I could not get up to do everyday thing. I just kept sleeping or yawning. I wanted my depresion to go away but it did the opposite. Instead of helping me keep me depresed I felted more depresed because I kept sleeping all the time. The medication Prozac with me did not help my depression but rather calm me to the extent that I did not want to do anything. Also I kept going to the bathroom constantly. It takes down my sexual mood and difficulty in getting aroused at all. Ritalin cause my mouth to dry up and kept drinking water like a camel. Jittery effect and when the medication wear off you feel it like large thump.
Comments:   Doctor suggested to take Prozac at night time and Ritalin twice a day. So far it has worked for me a patient suffering depression for more than 15 years and it has helped me the Ritalin. Cannot say about Prozac but I notice that I do not get anxiety attack with it.

Dosage & duration:   10mg daily taken 2x a day for the period of 8 years
Other drugs taken:   synthroid

Benefits:   Depression was lifted. Anxiety lessened. General feeling of well-being for the first time in my entire life.
Side effects:   decreased sexual function, horrific time trying to stop using it. I was told by many doctors there were no withdrawal symptoms so I thought I was crazy, but I was not. THe withdrawal was very hard and it took me several attempts before I could get off it.
Comments:   I began taking 10 mg. in the morning and 10 mg. at night. THis was the best dose, but as I began to feel the need to get off the drug I eliminated the 10 mg at night. I felt a slight drop in well-being, but adjusted to it. THe withdrawal rom only 10 mg took several months and required the substitution of wellbutrin on order to get through it. I now take 150mg of wellbutrin which has a mood stabilizing effect, but not the feeling of "well-being" I had from prozac.

Prozac review by 27 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40mg/day taken daily for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   Bulimia

Benefits:   Lessening of suicidal ideation and an increased ability to complete daily life tasks.
Side effects:   There was a decreased ability to have orgasms and a general numbing not quite stupor in which I existed. There was also a major decrese in appetite.
Comments:   This drug resulted in an unanticipated weightloss of over 20lbs - I went from 128 to 108 lbs. The weight loss decresed the incidences of bulimia. The drug was effective in that I no longer felt depressed per se, but then I didn't feel much of anything. Any combination with alcohol should be avioded - majorly increases its effects!

Prozac review by 35 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg. taken once a day for the period of past 3 years
Other conditions:   High cholesterol
Other drugs taken:   Lovastatin

Benefits:   Within a few days, my mood, self-esteem, attitude and over-all well-being improved tremendously! I went from feeling suicidal and not being able to funtion properly in order to take care of myself or my family, to feeling better than I had since I was in my teens. I began to lose some of the weight I had gained from being depressed. I was in a wonderful mood and I had so much more energy than I had in years. My overall experience with Prozac has been perfect!
Side effects:   I have had no known side effects to this date. I do watch out for muscle cramps that last more than a week and I have blood work done once a year to ensure that my kidneys are not being affected.
Comments:   I started on 10 mgs. once a day and when that was tolerated well I went up to 40 mgs. This caused some insomnia and nervousness so my Dr. lowered it to 20 mgs. a day. There are still times I get depressed for a few days but that only happens once or twice a year and it is mild. I am looking at being on Prozac as long as my body toleates it, due to once being taken off I went into a fast downward spiral and had to begin again.

Condition / reason:   Anxiety, hopelessness
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once daily for the period of For over 5 years

Benefits:   Anxiety since childhood was relieved. Felt free to enjoy life and explore opportunities that once would have been declined due to over anxiety and fear of failure or rejection. Have a much more stable emotional balance.
Side effects:   I think there is some detachement from emotions, even positive ones. There may be no real bottom out lows but there are also no wonderful bright highs. There may be some effects with sexual attachment on the negative side.
Comments:   Only the medication is prescribed, no other forms of therapy are being used. Plan is to stay on medication at this time, due to the percieved stresses of life and fear of going back to what was.

Prozac review by care giver of 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   divided dosage (dosage frequency: twice /daily) for the period of 4 years

Benefits:   According to her & what I was able to observe there was not much benefits to this treatment .
Side effects:   There was terrible side effects while on the treatment but even worst when she tried to stop the medication. While on the treatment the worst side effect was the suicidal thoughts . Also constant dry mouth , headaches . when she discontinued the treatment the dizziness & the ringing in the ears were unbearable .
Comments:   She had to take anti-nauseated pills for the nausea , dizziness plus other pills for the ringing in the ears . She succeeded after two agonizing months & will never take prozac again. I think every doctor should inform patients of the withdrawal side effects of this drug .

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   60 mg. each morning taken every day for the period of 18 years
Other conditions:   anxiety, mild psychosis
Other drugs taken:   ativan

Benefits:   this anti-depressant has basically saved my life. i have suffered with severe depression and anxiety since childhood. whether these problems were caused by 'nature or nurture' can be difficult to ascertain, but in my particular case, i believe it was both. while i was a victim of severe sexual, physical and verbal abuse from a very young age through my teen years, i also seem to have been born with an unusually 'sensitive' disposition, and can get very emotionally and mentally disturbed at times with very little provocation. everyone who knows me well considers me a very emotional person. at any rate, it has been the prozac that has helped me in dealing with the stresses of even everyday life. i first started feeling suicidal in adolescence, and unfortunately, this is still a constant problem. the prozac, i am convinced, has helped me keep these feelings in check, and although i was just hospitalized for my depression late last year, i am still alive and kicking. i completely believe that it is the prozac that has saved my life. before the advent of these types of antidepressants, all that was available were the tricyclics. those never worked for me the way the ssri's have. although they did achieve in putting me into a stupor-like condition, they never seemed to alleviate my depression. the prozac does. while it doesn't rid me of the problem completely, it has been absolutely invaluable to me, and i believe it is the main reason i am alive to write these words to you today. i am fortunate in that i have never had a single side effect from the prozac. actually, there has been a complete loss of libido, which could be a major problem for alot of people; for me, however, this is not a problem, because i am celibate, and have been for 20 years. trust me, i had enough sex in my younger years to last me for the rest of my life. i feel i should mention that i have known many people who take prozac and who have not had any sexual problems at all.
Side effects:   initial dosage was 20 mgs. each morning. this dosage was sufficient for about 5 years, at which point it was raised to 40 mgs. each day. ultimately, the dosage was raised again approximately 2-3 years after the first increase to my current dosage of 60 mgs. each day. this is apparently the maximum dosage. only side effect was loss of libido.
Comments:   basically you need to see a psychiatrist as often as your condition requires. i also recommend concurrent visits with some type of therapist or counselor, as this will increase the benefits you receive by taking the medication.

Condition / reason:   antidepressant
Dosage & duration:   20-60 (dosage frequency: 1) for the period of 7 yrs
Other conditions:   fatigue, disassociation
Other drugs taken:   Seroquel

Benefits:   Initilly uplift in mood and sensory clarity
Side effects:   the side effect is noticable when usage is stopped. An under-reaction to situations that needed more intensity. "Too Mellow" even at the least dose 20mg.After being off this med, my children informed me that they liked me better when I was " too easy" and would give in to them. While taking this medication it stopped working, confused, burst into tears, then just "change my mind", hyper ventillation. this was very frightening as I was taking the medication, it was increased and I felt that I was "losing it", not knowing that the medication had failed
Comments:   Initial weaning onto medication, then basically tweaking med as observed by practictioner with therapy. I decided to end the medication as it was not doing anything as a life benefit. this medication simply masks symptoms so that the patient "feels" functional.And most importantly, I no longer trusted it. I also now believe that DSM diagnois, as used in the general public (myself included) excuses inept doctors from forming medical diagnosis, doing the investigative work and testing to EXCLUDE biological conditions. Why do I think this? My 14 year old daughter "mentally crashed" and it was her thyroid, which affects among other organs THE BRAIN. My thyroid tests has been flucuating, but, since the medical doctor stated " I don't know if I should treat you for hyper or hypothyroid....I got dumped into DSM and prozac. A travesty.

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 1 per day for the period of 1 1/2 years
Other conditions:   na
Other drugs taken:   na

Benefits:   Definite improvement in mood, particularly at the beginning of treatment. Much better stability with moods and PMS symptoms in particular. I do think that I don't feel it is as effective now as when I started but still feel better than without it and would not stop treatment.
Side effects:   At the beginning of treatment, I had a tremendous difficulty sleeping and felt jittery. Passed after a fews weeks. Definite drop in libido since treatment started, rated the side effects as "moderate" above for this reason alone.
Comments:   Take 20 mgs once per day. I have to speak with my Dr by phone every third refill and visit in office twice a year to discuss how treatment in working.

Prozac review by 58 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg/day taken once per day for the period of 10 years
Other conditions:   lupus
Other drugs taken:   imuran, lipitor, avapro

Benefits:   Prozac helped in toning donwn my depression. Prozac was effective for the first 5 years then my depression slowly started to become worse. I then had to be placed on Wellbutrin for about 2 years, along with Prozac and yet my side effects from Prozac increassed to the point where I was taken off prozac.
Side effects:   The main treatment side effect began as increased depression and slight shaking in my fingers and hands. Over time the shaking turned into tremors which I could not control. Then I was placed on Wellbutrin with Prozac and finally weined off of Prozac and the tremors subsided.
Comments:   I took Prozac once a day in the morning with my other medications. At first my depression was under control but after about 5 years the depression began to become more intense. I was then placed on Wellbutrin with Prozac and my depression soon was improving. However, I started noticing hand shakes which progressively got worse. So after 2 years of Prozac and Wellbutrin I was told to stop Prozac. Within 6 months the shaking/tremors subsided and my depression is now fine by taking only Wellbutrin (150 mg/day)

Prozac review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   DEPRESSION
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once a day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   allergic rhinitis
Other drugs taken:   aerius, nasonex spray

Benefits:   Maintained a general feeling of well being and being able to cope with life. When I stopped the treatment (gradually) the depression returned after a couple of months. Having suffered from depression periodically over a number of years, I feel my quality of life has increased with Prozac.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   One 20 mg tablet once a day, in the morning.

Prozac review by 55 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   na
Other drugs taken:   thyrozine 2mg

Benefits:   resolved the depression, but side effects where too troublesome to continue
Side effects:   severe restless legs - especially at night. This made sleep difficult and I had to discontinue the drug. My doctor was NOT aware of this as a side effect of Prosac, and sent me to another doctor for an additonal consultation before he would change the medication. Now I believe the side effects are more well-known.
Comments:   I suffered from depression after my mother committed suicide, and I sought treatment. I was given prozac, and no other treatment. I did research on treatment for depression and after suffering side effects from Prozac, I began using exercize to treat my depression. It works very well.

Condition / reason:   depressio
Dosage & duration:   40 mg. taken daily for the period of 10 years
Other conditions:   hypothyroid
Other drugs taken:   synthroid

Benefits:   Relieved depression.
Side effects:   Gastrointestinal.
Comments:   I take one pill a day.

Prozac review by 34 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg daily taken daily for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   relief of depression, "floor" under worst moods, increased confidence, less sadness. Allowed patient to function normally in work and social situations
Side effects:   Loss of libido, occasional fatigue. Jittery feeling when dosage was temporarily increased to 40mg
Comments:   Was originally prescribed medication by psychiatrist, continued prescription from GP after cessation of psychiatric treatment

Prozac review by 45 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   depression with anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken daily for the period of currently
Other conditions:   insomnia

Benefits:   Within 3 weeks I noticed a "lifting " of mood and a general sense of being more energized and interested in everyday activities. I was far less concerned about things which had previously worried me and felt more enabled to engage in social activities again.
Side effects:   The drug was somewhat over stimulating leading to mild feelings of panic. If not taken with food it caused stomach burning. It dramatically exacerbated my insomnia and suppressed my appetite and libido.
Comments:   The dose was prescribed in capsule form at 20 mg to be taken daily, preferably in the morning.

Prozac review by 42 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 1/day for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   The drug seemed to effectively treat the symptoms of depression for a year or so. After the first year or so the depression seemed to come back now and then - although it did seem to be cyclical.
Side effects:   Nausea if taken on an empty stomach, shakiness, dry mouth.
Comments:   There were no other details of the treatment. I changed to another drug that worked more effectively and have been on that one for several years.

Dosage & duration:   10mg daily taken daily for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Within a week, I felt as if dark cloud of loneliness and unbearable sadness had drifted away.
Side effects:   I had some GI issues, some bloating and intestinal gas, but this went away after a few weeks.
Comments:   Initially I was a participant in a blind study, which lasted about six weeks. I suspected that I was not in the control group because of my dramatic results. Following the study, we were each given a consultation with the physician who was overseeing the test. He was the head of the Psychopharmacology Department at the University of Pennsylvania. He explained to me how the drug worked and suggested that I stay on it for a while. I remember he remarked how I walked the first few days of the test, and how different my demeanor became after the first week. I stayed on the drug for close to two years, then weaned myself off.

Prozac review by care giver of 32 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken daily for the period of 2years

Benefits:   overal improvment in mood, cognitions and phyiscal symptoms. feelings of helplessness, worthlessness gradually subsided. Negative cognitions e.g. suicidal ideations were dimenshed, although it took a while for it to happen
Side effects:   Initially, in the frist two weeks of being of the medication patient complained of drowziness, sleepiness and feeling even more tired. However, the severity of side effects had slowely wore off.
Comments:   After being assessed by a psychiaterist using differnt scales for depression, the patient was diagnozed with moderate to severe deprssion. The patient was then commenced on Prozac 20mg daily which was then to go up to 20mg daily. some side effecteds were reported during the firt two weeks, but they gradually wore off to minimum. The patient was on the medication for 2 years. The results were an improved mood, changed( positive outlook to life) and improved motivation and apetite

Prozac review by 41 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   20mg increased to 30mg taken 1 a day for the period of 10 years
Other conditions:   sleepiness - extreme for at least 6 weeks
Other drugs taken:   trazadone

Benefits:   Reduced depression and feelings of hopelessness within 3 weeks. I like being able to increase dosage when things get a little rough and then back off to the original dosage when things settle down.
Side effects:   Extreme sleepiness, feeling "out of it". It was really hard to work and be on this medication. I wanted to give it up as I literally could not stay awake but I made it though the first 6 weeks and things were better after that. I have been on it for 10 years now and do not notice any side effects.
Comments:   Took pill once a day and visited therapist once a month. After awile, I didn't go to the therapist anymore and I was extremely even with just the medication.

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 1 x for the period of 12 years
Other drugs taken:   Allegra

Benefits:   My mood swings decreased, I was less irritable. When I would be blue, I would not go into a deeper depression. It just evened me out. I also had a head injury and it seemed to help in the recovery from that.
Side effects:   In the beginning, I had loss of appetite, and become tired. But that ended after about two weeks.
Comments:   I had one on one counseling with a therapist. I have taken 20 mg everyday for the past 12 years. I have tried other medications but they have not worked nearly as well for me.

Prozac review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   20 mg. per day taken once daily for the period of two years
Other conditions:   migraines; rheumatoid arthritis
Other drugs taken:   celebrex, enbrel, imitrex

Benefits:   My mood was stablized, and I was able to take advantage of cognitive therapy. Without the medication, I was not able to benefit from CT.
Side effects:   Mild sexual dysfunction; nothing else.
Comments:   I took 20 mg. of Prozac once per day, in one tablet. It took about 6 weeks for the drug to reach its peak effectiveness, which is one of the drawbacks of this anti-depressant therapy. I tried others, but they didn't work nearly as well as Prozac.

Prozac review by 19 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once daily for the period of 3.5 months

Benefits:   None
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Took for several months, told my doctor it was NOT making a difference so she doubled the dose to 40 mg. I couldn't stand the thought of putting more chemicals in my body if they weren't doing anything so I never filled the doubled prescription and focused on counseling, which made a difference.

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken one a day for the period of currently and for over a year
Other conditions:   pain
Other drugs taken:   vicodin

Benefits:   The combination of the two drugs helped me cope with my pain and depression, which seem to be related. I'm able to cope with most of life's difficulties and am not sleeping as much. With the vicodin helping with the pain, when I do sleep I find it's much more restful and satisfying. I still have a long way to go and I believe that I will need to take these two drugs for a while as I tried quitting the prozac and immediately resumed the depression.
Side effects:   A little more sleepy and lack energy. Also, it's obvious with the prozac that I'm at a point that I'm not able to go off of it without replacing it with something. The vicodin doesn't seem to be a problem with side effects as long as I don't take more than one tablet at a time (500/5).
Comments:   I've had depression and pain for some time. They have both caused serious problems in my life. I found myself isolated and sleeping far too much. I did some research and found that lack of seritonin could cause an increse sensitivity to pain so I was hoping that my pain would subside with this treatment. So far, I can't tell the difference. My doctor seems to be concerned about taking the vicodin but I'm more concerned about the long term effects of the prozac. Only time will tell.

Prozac review by 17 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   80mg taken trice a day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   anorexia
Other drugs taken:   zyprexa, motilium, pharmaton, letter, etc.

Benefits:   I felt better mood, optimism towards life in general, greater control of portion sizes. My recovery from anorexia was not easy, so I had a few months of moderate bulimia. It was then that my dosage grew bigger: 3 pills of 20 mg per day, though some days I would have 4 pills.
Side effects:   don't recall
Comments:   it takes very long, and requires a very large amount of patience.

Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken once daily for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   thyroid disorder
Other drugs taken:   Levothyroxine

Benefits:   Before I began taking this, I had experienced a long time, chronic depression. After about one month of taking this I began feeling much better. Although things still are not perfect, and I have very blue periods, it has at least made life tolerable.
Side effects:   Reduced sex drive. Had quite a normal sexual appetite before using this, and it has decreased dramatically.
Comments:   Began taking 20 mg daily then increased it to 40 after 3 months. Might help more if I were to go to some type of counseling, which I have not.

Prozac review by 55 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once a day for the period of about 3 years

Benefits:   depression was alleviated to a functional degree.I wasn't in lala land but was able to get out of bed and care for my children. I was never suicidal or violent
Side effects:   I had some sleep disturbancebut the worst was a 15 lb. weight gain that came off only after switching to another antidepressant
Comments:   I took the prozac once daily and got regular exercize.

Prozac review by 51 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once daily for the period of 18 yrs
Other conditions:   obesity

Benefits:   I felt less anxiety and fewer down moods.
Side effects:   none. I had hoped to have the side effect of weight loss but didn't. I didn't notice a reduction in libido as my husband did when he took Paxil.
Comments:   I was depressed and had a lot of nightmares and prozac reduced both of these problems. I have been taking the same dosage for nearly 20 years now.

Prozac review by 20 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken daily for the period of four months

Benefits:   Less depressed, I could consintrate on daily life better. I was happier, less anxious, stopped worrying so much.
Side effects:   I felt manic at times, surreal. I was thirsty a lot, and forgot to eat.
Comments:   I was suppose to take 20mg daily for treatment of depression, it helped my depression but i often felt manic and 'not myself'

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   Not sure (dosage frequency: 1 pill a day) for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   There really weren't any - I didn't feel any better as the stressors in my life were still there. I did not feel any relief from the depression, as a matter of fact, I felt worse.
Side effects:   I couldn't sleep at night and would fall asleep during the day. It sometimes made me agitated too.
Comments:   I really wasn't comfortable with taking Prozac in the first place - I had a crappy HMO doctor who thought giving me a pill would solve my problem. I really just needed a change in my life (job, living in DC) to reverse my depression. In other words, I think my depression was situational, not a chemical imbalance. I know that these do work for many people, but I think it's imperative that a person know WHY they are depressed before they hit the pharmacy.

Dosage & duration:   40 mg, taken once a dag for the period of 21 years
Other conditions:   asthma
Other drugs taken:   Qvar, albuterol inhalers, birth control pills, claritin

Benefits:   Taking Prozac has helped me to live a normal life. I was having a serious bout of depression when I first started taking Prozac, and the drug lifted the symptoms of extreme hopelessness and racing negative thoughts. I've tried to go off the medication but whenever I do, negative thoughts and the resulting emotions return. When I resume taking Prozac, the symptoms subside. The medicine allows me to challenge thoughts rather than react to them.
Side effects:   I have problems sleeping--not falling asleep but staying asleep. I sometimes feel nervous (that is, nervous energy, not anxiety). I'd also say that Prozac can make me feel numb, but it's better than being severely depressed. Overall, the side effects aren't bad enough for me to stop treatment or look for another medication.
Comments:   I've been taking 40 mg. of Prozac once a day for about 20 years (I started taking it about the time it first became available.)

Prozac review by 54 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   PMS
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 1 time a day for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   none, I felt worse. This is probably a drug that works for some people but didn't work at all for me in fact I felt much much worse. Unfortunately, I didn't review the contraindications.
Side effects:   I got a rash on the back of my neck that lasted for 1 year even though I only took Prozac for 2 months. Also, I couldn't sleep as a result of taking Prozac. It seemed like after I stopped taking it I still had it in my body because I couldn't get rid of the rash on my neck and it was very annoying. Thhis is the first time that anything like this has ever happened to me.
Comments:   i took it once a day for PMS

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20 MG taken daily for the period of ongoing

Benefits:   helped my anxiety, and overall mood. I feel like I am less anxious and more calm. I feel that my moods are more even. I don't know what the long term effects are of taking this medication, though, and worry that I may get a stomach ulcer since I take over the counter pain relievers.
Side effects:   none really, but I have noticed an increase in tiredness
Comments:   I take one capsule in the morning, as prescribed by the doctor.

Prozac review by 21 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Depression, A.D.D., Mood Instability
Dosage & duration:   20 mg. capsule taken once a day, in the morning for the period of three weeks
Other conditions:   Possible diagnosis of Oppositional Defiant / Conduct Disorder
Other drugs taken:   Dextro/Amphetamine XR 20 mg. , Dextro/Amphetamine IR 10 mg., Starterra 25 mg, Trazadone 50 mg.

Benefits:   +Easier to get up and get going in the morning. +Increased self esteem. +Increased confidence. +Some mood stabilization. +Significant decrease in skin-picking. +Increased overall energy. +Reduction in feelings of guilt and avoidance. +Enhanced social capacity: less inhibited, more likely to engage in conversation, more interested in others, less sensitive to surroundings, more open and increased assertiveness.
Side effects:   +Night-time energy surge. +Reduction in taste sensitivity / food interest. +Late morning / early afternoon fatigue. +Occasional headaches. +Less organized thoughts / less aware of "details". +Hand tremors. +A.D.D. actually made WORSE.
Comments:   I am a recovering alcohol and drug user, and have A.D.D. and severe Depression, as well as possible undiagnosed Oppositional Defiant Disorder. I was taking Imipramine 100 mg. before bed and 20 mg. XR in the morning and 10 mg. in the afternoon before a hospitalization. I was switched to Prozac from the Imipramine, and given Trazadone to help sleep. I am also on an upward increase in dose of Strattera, because my A.D.D. has gotten very bad on the Prozac and off the Imipramine, but have a better mood and increased social ability.

Prozac review by 46 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken one time per day for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   norvasc

Benefits:   After 6 weeks of taking 10 mg of Prozac, physical anxiety symptoms dramatically dimished. Now, 6 months after beginning treatment, my blood pressure has also fallen. With BP medication alone, my BP hovered around 135/85. Couple with Prozac, my blood pressure is consistantly in the 110-120 over 80-80 range. I also experience very little panic attacks ( I used to have several a day). When I do experience one, I have been able to self talk myself down from it.
Side effects:   mild veryigo for 2-3 weeks
Comments:   10 mg Prozac every morning

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 1 for the period of year

Benefits:   relieves depression, helps other things such as sleep, dieting, exercise, relationships, responses to stimulous. The cost is lower than other antidepressants which can be a help to those on a budget.
Side effects:   Sleepy and lack of response to problems. Took too long to get started. I think anyone else would think it wasn't effective and stop taking it.
Comments:   took a seemingly long period of time to become effective. Once started, however, it did what I expected. It is hard to be without now and think that it will be a problem stopping in the future.

Dosage & duration:   20 mg daily taken daily for the period of 6 years
Other conditions:   multiple sclerosis

Benefits:   My depression was significantly alleviated. I would still feel bad somtimes, but it never again felt like true depresion. It was like there was some "padding" between me and the bad feelings.
Side effects:   There were actually no physical side effects, but I found that I said a lot of things I wouldn't normally say, and which I was embarassed about later. Prozac made me feel like everything was fine, so I didn't take things seriously enough, and didn't take care of things which really needed to be taken care of. I feel like I wasn't a good parent during that time, because my attitude was "eh...who cares?...everything is fine". I also had a very hard time withdrawing from it. I tried several times but fell into severe depression and had to start taking it again. I thought I'd have to be on it for life. However, once I managed to make it through a full week without it, I felt fine, and have never had to use it again.
Comments:   I have a long history of depression but had never taken medication for it. I asked my doctor to prescribe Prozac. For the first week I felt the same, but I slept almost 24/7 and barely ate. After that I did get a significant relief from the depression. Unfortunately, as I noted above, I don't like the way I acted during that time, and still cringe with embarassment and/or regret over things I said and did. But at the time everything seemed so rosy, that none of my behavior bothered me. Unfortunately, life is not perfect, and as adults we must take things seriously and deal with them. Prozac kept me from acknowledging that. Looking back, if I had faced my depression head on, and let it inspire me to make real changes in my life I would have been a lot better off in the long run.

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 1 x day for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   I have taken this drug off and on for 20 years. It is so effective for my depression that I start feeling like I'm "cured" and don't need to take it any more. I have found that when I stop taking it, I'll be fine for a few days or weeks, and then I start feeling symptoms of depression again. For the last 3 years, I have taken it regularly and am not planning on stopping. It doesn't make me feel happy every day, because that's not its purpose, however it does keep me from entering a depressive state.
Side effects:   I have not felt any side effects. I know other people feel loss of libido, but I did not suffer this pre-menopause. I have lost some libido since menopause, which is what I attribute it to.
Comments:   I take 20 mg every morning with my vitamins. For 2 years I took 40 mg every other day, however I haven't felt the need to do this anymore.

Prozac review by medical professional caring for 52 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken daily for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   high blood pressure, high cholestero
Other drugs taken:   Lisinopril, simvastatin, singulair

Benefits:   better able to handle everyday situations without spikes in temper I usually woke up between 3-5 times a night. With the Prozac my sleep was less interrupted. I also had less stretches of times when I felt depressed and just wanted to sleep to get thru another day. All in all the Prozac helped me to rationally look at my life and make decisions. My outlook brightened.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   20mg prozac once a day

Prozac review by 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   serotonin imbalance, mood swings
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken every day for the period of 8 years

Benefits:   Taking Prozac has enabled me to not erupt emotionally or lash out verbally at others during stressful situations, such as traffic jams, bad customer service, or when people are generally disrespecting me. Most of the time, I have more patience than I did before taking the drug and can articulate my emotions better.
Side effects:   Not too interested in sex anymore.
Comments:   I take one Prozac 20 mg in the morning.

Prozac review by care giver of 16 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   OCD
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1 per day for the period of ongoing
Other conditions:   insomnia
Other drugs taken:   melatonin

Benefits:   Patient expressed decrease in compulsory acts and a general improvement in mental stability. Also to note, patient showed a general improvement in social and educational functions as expressed in an academic report.
Side effects:   Increased insomnia with a decrease in appetite, as common with this medication.
Comments:   The patient was asked to participate in active counseling in addition to the medication. Some of the compulsions appear to correlate to stress induced anxiety, so the patient was urged to stop, breathe, relax, before attempting a stressful (or habitual) activity. I also found it necessary to inform the patient of the current paradigm on his condition as well as offer alternative treatments.

Prozac review by 23 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Mild Depression and Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once daily for the period of 3 weeks
Other conditions:   NA
Other drugs taken:   NA

Benefits:   So far, I have experienced an uplift in mood and a dulling of anxious reactions and PMS symptoms. I can't say it's all due to the Prozac, as I'm employing CBT methods, but my anxiety has not escalated into a full blown attack and I generally feel a lot better about life and about myself. I'm still weighing if these benefits are worth all of the symptoms I'm experiencing. It's been hard to maintain a positive outlook when I don't feel normal due to the trembling and tremoring.
Side effects:   Immediately after beginning treatment I experienced heartburn and nausea that would come in waves all day long. Due to this, I lost 6 pounds in a 3 week period (worrisome because I am a normal weight). About a week and a half later the nausea started to subside, but then I noticed I was feeling very stimulated. It was as if I could actually feel energy rushing in my body, and had to keep moving or get up and do something with myself. Soon after this began, I started experiencing trembling and tremors/twitches in my hands, arms, legs, feet, and neck. Generally the tremoring subsides when I am up and moving, (e.g. walking), but when I start to relax (e.g. sitting or lying down) I tend to feel it more. At first there was a twitch here and there, but now it happens very frequently and all over. No sexual side effects noted yet.
Comments:   I was prescribed Prozac for managing mild depression and anxiety attacks in conjunction with weekly counseling and cognitive behavorial therapy methods. when the trembling and tremoring began, I went back to the counseling center to ask about them. The psychiatrist had said some people react to Prozac in that fashion and that the side effects wane in time. I also read that stimulating effects such as those were actually fairly common in Prozac users. I go back to MY Psychiatrist in two days to discuss the effectiveness of the pill, the side effects I'm experiencing, and whether or not we should continue.

Prozac review by 30 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1/day for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   Before taking Prozac I had no energy or joy - I could barely lift my head off the pillow in the morning. I just wanted to stay in bed. When I first started taking it, I could feel it physically - I felt a little "giddy" and my eyes felt/looked glazed. But over time, those feelings went away and I just felt normal. I no longer felt like I was on a drug - I just felt good. I could get up in the morning and looked forward to each day.
Side effects:   I had very vivid dreams/nightmares the entire time I took it. Eight years later, I can still remember many of them and the way they made me feel. I gained weight (from 115lbs to 130lbs).
Comments:   I began by taking 5mg tablets one time a day for one week. The next week I increased to 10mg tablets on time/day. I took Prozac for one year. When I stopped taking it I reduced the dosage to 5mg tablets one time a day for about 2 weeks. I did not have any ill effects when I quit taking it.

Prozac review by 31 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   Severe Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20 mg per day taken once per day for the period of one week
Other drugs taken:   Diazepam

Benefits:   This medication did not make me sedated or cause constipation like the last one I tried and I had no trouble getting to sleep at night.
Side effects:   On the first day of taking this medication, I became extremely high and anxious within an hour of taking it. I then went on a major shopping spree, had major increased energy and talked a lot more then I usually do. By the second night, I started crying and could not stop and my teeth would not stop chattering. Over the next few days I became like a zombie during the day, but by night I would be a crying shaking mess. On the last day of taking this medication I was truly suicidal and I was not even depressed when I started this medication a week earlier. This medication was to treat severe anxiety only, and it did help for this, but made me severely depressed as a consequence. This medication may be very beneficial for some people, but it did not work for me.
Comments:   I started taking one 10mg tablet of Fluoxetine in the morning for three days and then changed to one 20mg tablet in the morning

Prozac review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Major Depression
Dosage & duration:   20mgs taken once a day, in the mornings for the period of 6 Months
Other conditions:   Panic attacks
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   I felt like I was in a deep dark hole for most of my life, almost immediately after starting the medication I felt like a different human being! I noticed colours for the first time in years and I couldn't stop looking at the beautiful sky, grass and flowers. I felt alive, energetic, happy and positive, For the first time in years I wanted to get up in the mornings and LIVE. I wanted to go out in the world again, where as before I hid in my house because of panic attacks. I landscaped my whole garden and when that was done, I decided I wanted to work again and found a job. My marriage flourished after this new me and I fell pregnant 6 months later, at which time I had to discontinue, but that 6 months of Prozac was all it took to give me a new life.
Side effects:   I experienced a loss of libido and inability to climax. Loss of appetite (a GOOD side affect in my books! I lost quite a few kgs and it did wonders for my self esteem). I would NOT recommend taking this with alcohol, especially something like tequila which is an upper. Combined with alcohol I experienced wild abandon, loss of inhibitions and total change in personality, I am usually quite reserved, but became quite the opposite - which sorted the libido out, but still unable to climax.
Comments:   My treatment involved psychotherapy as well as the medication.

Prozac review by 40 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken daily for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Within the first eight months I did not notice any benefits and decided to stop the treatments. Once off the Prozac my depression was worsen made me realise that the treatment was working but that I had not realised this.I restarted my treatment shortly after and felt much better. Although I felt better I realised that Prozac by itself was not the answer and I had to address other areas in my life.
Side effects:   There was no negative side effects.
Comments:   Within the first eight months I did not notice any benefits and decided to stop the treatments. Once off the Prozac my depression was worsen made me realise that the treatment was working but that I had not realised this.I restarted my treatment shortly after and felt much better. Although I felt better I realised that Prozac by itself was not the answer and I had to address other areas in my life.

Condition / reason:   Depression/stress
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once daily for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   Having suffered with depression/anxiety after the break up of my marriage, during which I lost a huge amount of weight, couldn't sleep, was agitated, tearful etc etc. the fluoxetine initially helped me relax and gave me a 'holiday from myself'. The effects totally calmed me, enabling me to resume my 'normal' life. I regained my weight and although not totally free from the fluoxetine, have now cut down to every other day and have now been able to resume working. My experience is that the fluoxetine have taken away the extreme mood swings.
Side effects:   No side effects as such. However, the negative from my point of view is that there is an almost unreal calmness and lack of feeling/excitement/or even anger.........however as it is my intention to only use the fluoxetine for what is a relatively short term period, I beleive that this has been a 'symptom' worth experiencing.
Comments:   20 mg once a day.

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken every night for the period of Several years - I'm still on it.
Other conditions:   Bi Polar Disorder I
Other drugs taken:   Lamictal 50mg, Trazadone 50 mg

Benefits:   Perfect. The Trazadone helps me sleep inspite of the Prozac. I no longer have any manic phases thanks to Lamictal.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I started with the Prozac. Then the trazadone was added to help me sleep. I was always cycling into manic phases but they became more extreme and serious. The Lamictal completely obliterated the mania. I feel completely stable, happy and am very high functioning.

Prozac review by 64 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   40 (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of 19 years

Benefits:   In general, I have enjoyed daily happy moods and more energy. I am able to focus on tasks better and can accomplish more each day. Mood swings, irritability, and temper outbursts are rare. I have gone from below-average to above-average coping skills. Feelings of worthlessness and suicidal thoughts no longer occur.
Side effects:   Increased thirst and decreased libido.
Comments:   Before Prozac, for many years I was unable to experience sustained happiness or control my mood. I was irritable at least 10 days each month, had uncontrollable racing thoughts, experienced frequent temper outbursts, felt hopeless and worthless, did not view life as worthwhile, thought about suicide often and made several attempts. There was no joy in my life and I suffered from delibitating migraine headaches 5 or 6 times per year. When I went to the doctor, I was unable to stop thinking about suicide. My doctor put me on Prozac, 20 mg each a.m. and I improved dramatically in a few weeks. After 6 months, I felt like I was slipping back a little, so the doctor increased my dose to 40 mg each morning. As long as I take the Prozac, I am happy and stable and have maybe one migraine a year. About once a year I try to reduce the Prozac to 20 mg, but within 1 week symptoms begin to recur so I resume 40 mg daily.