Protopic (Tacrolimus Topical) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Protopic (Tacrolimus Topical) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 8 ratings/reviews, Protopic has an overall score of 5. The effectiveness score is 6.50 and the side effect score is 6.25. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Protopic review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   eczema
Dosage & duration:   pearl size (dosage frequency: twice daily) for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   cleared up chronic eczema. Especially effective on elbows and legs.
Side effects:   I did not experience side effects all though I was warned to avoid exposing treated area to sunlight.
Comments:   I was told to use this once in the morning and once before going to bed. I had to use it on clean skin, and to make sure ointment fully absorbed. I started to see improvements within days. I was warned that I might have recurrence of eczema after a few months, but I didn't.

Protopic review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ezcema
Dosage & duration:   1g (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 3 days
Other drugs taken:   corticoids

Benefits:   cure the ezcema and it took aout teh roughest of the skin
Side effects:   skin redness and flushes, sometimes the skin eels like it is on fire, and you feel very ho. It is also very itchy when the skin is heeling because of the drug, sometimes you even wake up in the middle of the night because of the itchiness. But this only happens the first few days, when the skins is very bad with ezcema, after a few days, when the skin is better you don't feel you have put any treatment in the skin, and it feels as any othe normal moisturiser cream
Comments:   to apply once a day afeter cleaning the skin, and avoid direct sunlight

Protopic review by 37 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   eczema
Dosage & duration:   apply twice daily (dosage frequency: twice daily) for the period of 2 months
Other conditions:   made the itch worse

Benefits:   none - the benefit was supposed to be due to the fact that it wasn't a steroid cream
Side effects:   burning and itching worse than the eczema - I'd have to race to the shower and wash off remaining product - it was terrible
Comments:   apply twice daily but I'd have to wash it off w/in an hour because it burned so badly

Protopic review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   white spots on facial skin
Dosage & duration:   small amount applied topically (dosage frequency: two times per day) for the period of three weeks

Benefits:   White spots which appeared and were growing in size (and assumed to be infammatory) are gone
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   Small amount of the ointment was applied twice per day for three weeks and the spots gradually reduced in size and dissapeared. Because this is a very strong medication it was applied somewhat sparingly to be conservative and it still worked.

Protopic review by 50 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   vitalago
Dosage & duration:   thin layer to affected area (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   The benefit that was hoped for was a repigmentation of the skins on my hands. Apparently my dermatologist had used this treatment on a number of patients and had received a good success rate. I did not see any benefits over the time I used the product (3 months) but was advised that I needed to continue treatment.
Side effects:   There were no noticeable side effects that I was aware of. The product is an ointment with a rather oily feel and needs to be left on the effected areas for some period of time so I applied it at night. I did not find that it had any effect in any positive or negative way over the period I applied it.
Comments:   I was asked by the prescribing doctor to apply the ointment once a day to the affected areas (the back of both of my hands). This was the entire process and I was to report back to him within a period of approximately six months. This was a rather experimental treatment. I applied the product as instructed but did not notice any repigmentation during the time I applied it (around 3 months). I subsequently was advised by the doctor that I needed to continue the application, for a total period of at least six months

Protopic review by 55 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   Undiagnosed
Dosage & duration:   Thin layer twice a day (dosage frequency: prescription) for the period of Two months
Other drugs taken:   Paxil

Benefits:   The ointment is easy to apply once the user realizes that the ointment is very thick, although Protopic on the face is ineffective or must be prescribed only for those conditions it has proven to resolve. In my case, The rash continues to spread across the face.
Side effects:   A thin layer proved to result in dramatic itchiness in those areas coated by Protopic ointment.
Comments:   Thin layer twice a day to be used as needed.I also made a deliberate effort to use the Protopic as directed appying it twice a day as directed.

Protopic review by 18 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Vaginal Eczema
Dosage & duration:   apply 2/day (dosage frequency: once) for the period of One day
Other drugs taken:   Allegra

Benefits:   none
Side effects:   IT BURNS SO BAD!!!!!! ITCHING AND BURNING LIKE MY WORST ECZEMA NIGHTMARE! LIKE A HEATING PAD HAS BEEN LEFT ON MY BARE SKIN ON HIGH HEAT FOR A LONG TIME. I paid over $100 for this and I don't think I can go through with this to see if it gets better. Not twice a day, I'm miserable right now from putting on for the first time this morning - 2 hours ago and it still is hurting, burning, itching, on fire! I'd take caution when applying this, only do a very small area and do it when you don't have to work or go to school. FML
Comments:   Absolutely not following through with it.

Protopic review by 25 year old male patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   Eczema
Dosage & duration:   Apply twice daily 0.10% (dosage frequency: as needed) for the period of On/Off for a few years

Benefits:   Got rid of eczema quickly when applied in a thin layer. I have used this for years without realizing its side effects or being told about the side effects from my doctors or pharmacist.
Side effects:   This drug has severe side effects, and I was not told about ANY of them! I believe I have gotten shingles as a side effect from this drug. Shingles tends to happen to the elderly or people with weakened immune systems. My immune system was weakened by this drug enough to get shingles! Do your research before continuing to choose to use this product.
Comments:   Applied whenever I had a flare-up with a thin layer of the Protopic ointment. Please educate yourself and try many other alternatives before even considering using this product. I have used it for many years and regret it after learning about all the harmful side effects.