Protonix (Pantoprazole) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Protonix (Pantoprazole) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 19 ratings/reviews, Protonix has an overall score of 8.21. The effectiveness score is 8.42 and the side effect score is 9.16. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Other conditions:   arthritis,shortness of breath

Benefits:   Effective in helping to control acid reflux
Side effects:   none that i know of at the present time. But i do not know what damage it has done if any to any of my internal organs.

Protonix review by 30 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Peptic Ulcer
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken daily for the period of 30 days

Benefits:   The benefits of taking Protonix 20 mg is that my ulcer cleared up, and I was able to resume eating what I call normal foods. I changed and stopped eating pizza, meat balls or extremely spicy foods, but if possible I will take a Tums before just to reduce any chance of problems.
Side effects:   I don't believe I had any side effects. I know Protonix just like Nexium can be an addictive medicine simply because it work so well. Some people seem to have minor side effects, but I am in great health and in good shape and I did not seem to have any side effects from using Protonix.
Comments:   I was prescribed Protonix 20 mg which I took daily for 30 days. Extended use is not recommended, and I did not surpass the 30 days. I do buy extra strength Tums and take it if I have any real acid or spicy foods. The bottom line is I had a lot of pain with my ucler which came out of nowhere and after almost 2 weeks of pain I decided I needed to see a doctor. Soon after taking Protonix my pain went away, but as with any ulcer a diet change might be in order. Similar drugs are Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, etc.

Benefits:   effective in helplng to control acid reflux
Side effects:   none that i know of at the present time.But i donot know what damage it has done if any to any of my internal orgins

Protonix review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   reflux
Dosage & duration:   40mg taken once a day for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   hyperlipidemia
Other drugs taken:   Zocor

Benefits:   Benefits of Protonix were a greatly reduced incidence of heartburn and spams in the esophagus.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I took the Protonix once a day approxiamtely 30 minutes before eating breakfast.

Benefits:   effective in helplng to control acid reflux

Protonix review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   GERD
Dosage & duration:   40 MG taken once daily for the period of 2 years and still using
Other conditions:   menopasue
Other drugs taken:   Yasmin

Benefits:   Relief of chronic nausea, indigestion, acidic feeling in throat
Side effects:   None - this is the last in a series of similar drugs that I tried and discontinued because of a variety of side effects. Protonix seems to be the one that I can tolerate. But I still occasionally get the bloat/overstuffed feeling.
Comments:   Not sure what this means - I take a single dose in the AM and try to avoid trigger foods/beverages like chocolate and caffeine.

Protonix review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   GI irritation
Dosage & duration:   not sure (dosage frequency: 1 time per day) for the period of 1 month
Other drugs taken:   naproxen

Benefits:   Significant reduction in the amount of pain that patient had on a daily basis. Pain was not only lessened by time it was felt was lessened as well
Side effects:   This medication, or the combination of the medication with naproxen, caused bouts of diarrhea and/or constipation.
Comments:   Take the protonix one time daily with 1 tab naproxen. Also take another tab of naproxen 12 hours later.

Protonix review by 52 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40mg taken once a day for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   hypertension, ulcer
Other drugs taken:   Diovan HCT, Altace

Benefits:   Within two days, the severe burning pain of the GERD disappeared. At three months of treatment, the pain from the ulcer has receded considerably. Because of the ulcer, however, I still have to be careful not to eat anything too acidic--very fresh pasta sauce with chunks of tomato--or too spicy.
Side effects:   Shortly after starting treatment, I developed diarrhea. It only lasted for a few days, but then I continue to have somewhat pasty stools, with occasional bouts of diarrhea again.
Comments:   I went to the ER with severe burning in the chest. The doctors there suspected either cardiac problems or a blood clot in the lungs. Once they made certain there were no blood clots, and that the EKG and cardiac enzyme levels were normal, they started me on IV protonix. The next day I was switched to pill form of the protonix, and the improvement was amazing. Within thirty-six hours the pain was minimal, and by the third day of treatment, it was virtually gone. Since then, I haven't had any recurrence, and remain on the protonix only because of the ulcer, which is improving, even though at a slower pace. Overall, it's an excellent medication, and had worked wonders for me.

Protonix review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   GERD
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken daily for the period of 2 years and still using
Other conditions:   menopausal
Other drugs taken:   Yasmin

Benefits:   Reduced excess acid and throat irritation, although not completely. Bending over still causes bile in throat. Nighttime coughing still happens. Certain foods definitely trigger irritation. Protonix was the last of 3 or 4 similar medications I tried (Nexium, etc) and all others had much worse side effects (headaches and dry mouth particularly).
Side effects:   Mild nausea at first, gradually disappearing after about a month of treatment.
Comments:   basically 1 pill in the AM and avoid triggering foods such as chocolate. Fortunately food triggers seem to be time-of-day sensitive. For instance, I can drink coffee but only in the AM.

Protonix review by 33 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Acid Reflux
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once/day for the period of 3yrs
Other conditions:   High Blood Pressure, Sleep Apnea, Bronchial Asthma
Other drugs taken:   Lisinopril

Benefits:   It has totally neutralized the effects of my reflux.
Side effects:   No side effects encountered.
Comments:   I started getting reflux after I had gall bladder surgery when I was 24. I had tried just about every reflux drug out there, but they either didn't work or had unacceptable side effects. When I first tried Protonix I couldn't believe how normal I felt within a couple days. It works so well for me, I forget I have reflux sometimes. I haven't noticed any issues with foods or coffee since taking it.

Protonix review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acid Reflux, GERD
Dosage & duration:   40mg taken morning and evening for the period of Still taking
Other conditions:   Hyperthyroidism, Anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Setraline

Benefits:   Reduced acid in the stomach and heartburn symptoms associated with acid.
Side effects:   I didn't experience any side effects while taking this medication.
Comments:   Took 1 40 mg tablet in the morning before my first meal and controlled the acid reflux symptoms and stomach aches. Then took 1 40 mg tablet before I went to bed to once again control those symptoms while sleeping for a 24 hour effect.

Protonix review by 66 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   gastrointestinal disorder
Dosage & duration:   dont remember (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of on 2 occasions
Other conditions:   high blood presure
Other drugs taken:   hytrin premerin

Benefits:   none
Side effects:   On the first occasion I took this drug, I experienced mild tingling and redness of my hands and feet and face. I became somewhat week and faint like . I did not, at the time tie these reactions to the medecation. When I took it on a seperate occasion I experienced extreme tingling, redness and diarea and had to be transported to the hospital where they treated me for toxic shock. passed out
Comments:   Benadril, allegra and other intravenious medication I am not sure of.

Protonix review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acid Reflux
Dosage & duration:   40mg taken 2x daily for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   low blood pressure

Benefits:   Effectively controlled acid reflux. Before treatment patient had severe acid reflux which was not controlled by other medications. After trying many other drugs the patient was prescribed protonix and it worked very effectively. The patient was then able to eat regular meals with no ill effects.
Side effects:   None. There didn't appear to be any side effects to taking this prescription. The one drawback was that it took time to dissolve and frequently there was discomfit prior to it dissolving.
Comments:   Took medicine as prescribed, twice daily

Protonix review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Sore throat/dryness
Dosage & duration:   2 times per day - Morning/Evening (dosage frequency: twice a day) for the period of Still taking - Started 1 week ago
Other conditions:   Couldn't sleep thru the night - Dry mouth/throat
Other drugs taken:   Ibupropen 600mg - for fluid build up in lower thumb joint

Benefits:   I felt immediate relief within 24 hrs - 2 tablets
Side effects:   I had a slight headache on a couple occasions, not 100% sure it's from the medication.
Comments:   Instructed by Ear-Nose - Throat Specialist to take pills with water 30 to 60 minutes - before Breakfast and then same time frame before Dinner. 40mg

Protonix review by 41 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hiatal Hernia and Ileocecal Valve Syndrome
Dosage & duration:   40mg taken once a day before dinner for the period of 5 months
Other conditions:   Ulcerative colitis (in remission for 12 years) gallstones
Other drugs taken:   none, execept for strong antibiotics occasionally for my Ileocecal Valve problem

Benefits:   I was told to avoid coffee, tea, chocolate & peppermint :'( My hiatal hernia is tiny, but I feel fortunate that I was told about it before it got out of hand. I feel 100% better 90% of the time, and when I don't, it's usually because I forgot to take my pill the previous day. I would prefer for my pain to be treated by diet changes alone, but it's nice to have a pill to rely on. It's my goal to control my pain naturally, wish me luck!
Side effects:   None
Comments:   One a day before the largest meal of my day, normally dinner. Antibiotics for my Ileocecal Valve problem.

Protonix review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   possible ulcer and acid reflux
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken daily for the period of 1 month so far

Benefits:   Heartburn/Acid reflux stopped the first day I took it. I haven't had any issues with heartburn or acid reflux whatsoever. Stomach pain (from possible ulcer-haven't had results back from test to diagnose that) has decreased significantly.
Side effects:   No side effects that I know of, however my father (who also takes protonix) had to discontinue his regimen for a week because of a test he had to have done said his acid reflux came back about 2 days after he stopped and it was 10x worse than it was before treatment. I guess this isn't a drug one should go off of completely.
Comments:   I pill a day and all has been well. =D

Protonix review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   chronic heartburn
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken daily for the period of 3+ years
Other drugs taken:   estradiol

Benefits:   The heartburn was unrelenting and multiple over the counter acid reducers were tried including taking the generic Over-The-Counter Prilosec twice per day. None of these medications seemed to caused any reduction in heartburn. After starting the Prontonix symptoms disappeared entirely within the first 24 hours. After starting the Protonix I was again able to eat and enjoy any type of food without heartburn, epigastric pain and nausea.
Side effects:   There were no side effects.
Comments:   Protonix is taken once per day either with or without food. I take my prescription as bedtime.

Protonix review by 29 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Functional Dyspepsia
Dosage & duration:   40mg, once daily. taken once per day for the period of Four months, so far
Other conditions:   IBS
Other drugs taken:   Domperidone (for nausea/bloating)

Benefits:   I have/had an extremely easy to irritate stomach, over-sensitive to acid and food consumption. I spent most days feeling unbelievably bloated, even after only a few bites of food, sometimes. Protonix was prescribed to me in combination with Domperidone to reduce bloating, belching, and an acid-burning sensation in the stomach.
Side effects:   None, really, that I can specifically blame on this drug. I had actually reacted fairly badly to other, similar drugs. The famous "purple pill" Nexium had actually given me a brutal headache, sore-throat, and even a racing heart-beat at times. I was somewhat anxious about taking another very similar medication, but Pantoprazole did not bother me at all (I have since read that Pantoprazole is one of the acid-reducers least likely to cause side-effects).
Comments:   Treatment has been ongoing for several months and is set to continue. While still not quite "normal", I am feeling much better after several months of this therapy and will be discussing reducing my dosage and/or going off the drug completely in the next month or two.

Protonix review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   reflux
Dosage & duration:   40mg taken 1x/day for the period of 4 years
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   temporary relief of reflux symptoms, but severe breakthroughs occasionally still happen. Have been taking the med for over 4 years but without taking it the symtpoms are definitely worse. The symptoms were, lump in throat, hoarseness, painful speaking, burning throat, burping, fluids coming back into mouth, pain in the center of the chest.
Side effects:   I have never noticed any side effects from taking the protonix. I had read the list, but appear to be having no trouble. I have been taking the medication for over four years and am still taking the medication. I only notice that when I think the reflux is under control and I stop taking it, my symptoms return with a vengence.
Comments:   I have had the endoscope one time and on two different occasions had the tube inserted into my nose to check the vocal chords to diagnose why I lose my voice. My regular every day treatment dose is one 40 mg pill, but have been told at two different times by two different doctors to double up on that for two months. I notice improvement but once regular dosage is resumed the symptoms usually flare up.