Proquin XR (Ciprofloxacin) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Proquin XR (Ciprofloxacin) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 7 ratings/reviews, Proquin XR has an overall score of 5. The effectiveness score is 7.14 and the side effect score is 5.71. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Proquin XR review by 26 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   possible UTI - I think?
Dosage & duration:   500mg for 5 days taken 1 dose for the period of 1 day
Other conditions:   back pain
Other drugs taken:   pain reliever, muscle relaxer

Benefits:   There were no benefits of taking this medicine unless you count the fact that now I know I should NEVER take this medicine again. I'm severely allergic to it.
Side effects:   Swelling of the face, tingling, itchy eyes, and tighness of chest/difficulty breathing.
Comments:   I went to the doctor for back pain. My UTI test came back negative except my leukocites were up. I guess she prescribed this to me to be cautious. I took one dose and ended up in the emergency room within an hour. I am now the proud owner of an epi-pen!

Proquin XR review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   kidney infection
Dosage & duration:   500mg 2 times daily (12 hrs apart) taken 1st day: 500 mg. 2 times/day for the period of Days 2-5: 250 mg every 8 hrs.
Other conditions:   Back pain: kidney area, frequent urination

Benefits:   After the third day, I could tell the pain was subsiding.
Side effects:   Diarrhea and stomach pain
Comments:   The first dayI started taking the medication 500mg 12 hrs apart. Then my stomach was hurting and I had diarrhea. I decreased the dosage (on my own, which I would not advise others to do) because I have a history of pseudo-membranous colitis, and I need to be cautious of antibiotics. However, I needed the med for the kidney infection. On days 2-5 I took 250mg 3 times a day (eight hrs apart). This reduction in dosage relieved the stomach pain and the diarrhea. After the third day of antibiotics, I noticed a decrease in back pain so I knew the medication was working.

Proquin XR review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Chest Infections
Dosage & duration:   500mg taken 3 times per day for the period of 21 days
Other conditions:   Paralysed diaphragm, arthritis
Other drugs taken:   spironolactone, doxycycline

Benefits:   Reduces the symptoms of pseudomonas chest infection for a few weeks, especially the haemoptysis.
Side effects:   Condiderable nausea, bad dreams & increased sensitivity to the sun.
Comments:   Take the drug for a 3 week course then wait until symtoms increase again then have another 3 week course. Usually works out at about 3 weeks on & 3 to 4 weeks off.

Proquin XR review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Recurrent Pseudomonas chest infection
Dosage & duration:   500mg taken 3 times per day for the period of 21 days at a time
Other conditions:   Paralsyed diaphragm
Other drugs taken:   Spironolactone

Benefits:   Improved exercise tolerance. Stopped coughing up blood. Improvement in chest pain.
Side effects:   Nausea, bad dreams, very prone to sunburn. For the antibiotic to be effective I need to take a relatively large dose for my size (50kgs). Have to take anti-nausea medication while on the course of antibiotic otherwise tend to lose weight.
Comments:   Have had repeated courses of this antibiotic over several years. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't but the infection always recurs within a few weeks of stopping the treatment.

Proquin XR review by 28 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   u/i
Dosage & duration:   500 2x a day for 5 days (dosage frequency: every 12 hours) for the period of 3.5 days

Benefits:   cleared my UI i didnt even know i had one..
Side effects:   feeling sick dizzy made vision in eye go funny. made tendons in whole body swell made muscels feel like they are burning. i cant excercise now because i have to let me tentons heal . i dont know how long it will take. brain fog extream fear and emotional .
Comments:   please dont ever take this medication im horrified by how it made me feel in such a short amout of time

Proquin XR review by care giver of 65 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Urinary tract infrection
Dosage & duration:   500mg taken bid for the period of 6 months
Other drugs taken:   prilosec

Benefits:   No diarrhea and better drug efficacy.
Side effects:   None at all. The person who previously reviewed had an allergic reaction. That does NOT mean the drug doesn't work, that means she simply can't tolerate the medication.
Comments:   My father is in a wheelchair. For those of you with handicapped family and friends, you know how difficult urinary tract infections can be. Ciprofloxin was a major break through for UTI's. Unfortunately, paralyzed men and women have trouble holding their bowel movements due to the "dumping" effect of cipro releasing directly into the gut. Although not widely promoted just know that Proquin XR has truly changed my father's life. Instead of being hospitalized once a year due to a UTI, he can now take Proquin XR and continue on with his normal daily life/work etc. Proquin XR basically allows the body to metabolize more of the medication and this in turn makes the medication more efficacious. In layman's terms, it works faster and more effectively. If you have digestive issues due to cipro or any antibiotic, you seriously need to try this medication. It has not only helped my father but has made my family's life much easier.

Proquin XR review by 61 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pneumonia
Dosage & duration:   250mg taken 2 x day for the period of 7 days
Other conditions:   bronchiectasis

Benefits:   My cough was reduced, from 24 hours a day, to a few episodes per day
Side effects:   First, what I termed "Cipro brain", which is not thiking clearly and making mistakes (like jet-lag). Then, I started getting ulcers on my tongue. They spread to my gums and inside lips and my tongue was swollen, making it difficult to talk. I was afraid that if I got stopped, driving, the cop would think I was drunk, because I was slurring my words. Now, several days after stopping the drug, I still have extreme fatigue. I'm hoping to return to normal! When I had pneumonia, I actually felt fine, but the cough had to to be treated. I doubt if I would ever take Ciprofloxacin again.
Comments:   I took the pill twice a day, morning and evening, after meals. I also kept up with my daily exercise regimen (walking and swimming).