Propecia (Finasteride) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Propecia (Finasteride) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 43 ratings/reviews, Propecia has an overall score of 6.70. The effectiveness score is 7.30 and the side effect score is 7.21. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Propecia review by 35 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   hair loss
Dosage & duration:   once daily (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of 11 months

Benefits:   preventing further hair loss
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   I took this medicine once daily. The results were not dramatic but could be visibly noticed.

Propecia review by 49 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   hair loss
Dosage & duration:   standard (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   Hair regrowth in crown area
Side effects:   there were none
Comments:   One pill taken orally daily

Propecia review by 48 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Male Pattern Baldness
Dosage & duration:   1 mg taken 1 per day for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   Some decent extra growth of hair, especially on the crown of the head. Ostensibly some on the front of the scalp, but hard to tell. Overall, it definitely has helped to preserve the hair I have (I have a twin brother who is effectively the control group, since he doesn't use such products, and he's getting pretty bald).
Side effects:   A lowering of ability to achieve an erection -- say 10-15% -- and a lowering of overall libido.
Comments:   One pill, once per day.

Condition / reason:   hair thinning
Dosage & duration:   1 pill per day taken daily for the period of 10 years

Benefits:   When I started taking Propercia, my hair loss had stopped and the thinning has not exacerbated. Since taking the drug 10 years ago, my hair remained full and I have not had any side effects.
Side effects:   While side effects may include loss of sex drive and gynecomastia, I did not experience either of these side effects.
Comments:   Taking a pill daily in the morning.

Propecia review by 25 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   1mg pr day taken daily for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   The benefits of taking this drug were a slow down in mpb (male pattern baldness). I noticed that less hairs in the M shape were falling out. It also regrew some of the hair that was lost for several years ago in the crown area. I also noticed that thin, weak hairs regrew stronger and thicker.
Side effects:   Side effect were a feeling of tiredness and lowered libido. These side effects passed away after my body adapted to the lower DHT levels in the body.
Comments:   Propecia is a medication that is used to treat prostate cancer. It does inhibit DHT(dihydrotestosterone)that is the most potent form of testosterone. It also raises testosterone levels by 10%. Propecia is also a treatment for male pattern baldness. DHT is known to bind to the receptor on the hair follicle. By doing this the hair will eventually die for those with genetic mpb. By using Propecia the DHT levels will be lowered, and you hair will not be affected as much as if you did not use propecia. For hairloss Propecia should be taken as 1mg pr day.

Dosage & duration:   1mg taken daily for the period of 18 months

Benefits:   Increased hair growth in the thinning areas on the head, making the hair look fuller. I also experienced less hair falling out.
Side effects:   Increased hair growth on shoulders, back, and chest. Decrease in my sex drive
Comments:   1 mg pill taken daily for hair loss on the crown of the head. I later changed doctors and instead of prescribing Propecia he gave me Proscar 5mg, which i was able to take one-fourth of the tablet and save about $60.00 a month.

Propecia review by 39 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Male pattern hair loss
Dosage & duration:   1 mg taken daily for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   Claritin

Benefits:   The hair on the crown of the head significantly and visually filled in to the state it was 5 years earlier and has maintained this growth since.
Side effects:   It seems that it sometimes takes an extra moment or two to finish urinating to avoid dripping. Side effect is not noticable if the drug is taken before bed.
Comments:   I take the drug once a day at night with a small glass of water.

Dosage & duration:   1mg taken everyday for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   A slowing in androgenic alopecia, and some potential re-growth. The slowing of the male pattern balding creates an environment suitable for topical solutions to have stronger more effective yields.
Side effects:   Erectile disfunction, weight gain.
Comments:   Taken on a daily basis at the same time everyday. Taking it everyday at the same time increases the potential for the medication to work so that the body gets a consistent dose to work with. Otherwise the body gets confused.

Propecia review by 44 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   hair regrowth
Dosage & duration:   1 tablet a day taken daily for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   minor gynacomastia
Other drugs taken:   nil at the time

Benefits:   Slowed the hair loss and thickened the hair somewhat...pretty good I thought !
Side effects:   I had minor hereditory Gynacomastia.But this made my breast swell under the nipples to at least 60 c.m. The breasts became very sore and I had to have F.N.A done to find out why they were so sore. The doctors told me to come off them straight away. I contacted the makers and they too advised me to stay off them. If not for Swollen and sore breasts, I would have continued the use. My breasts returned to normal size, no pain.
Comments:   If you have gynacomastia, be very careful....Thankyou. Lee.

Condition / reason:   Thinning hair
Dosage & duration:   1 mg taken daily for the period of 2 weeks both tries.

Benefits:   None
Side effects:   Severely decreased libido, brain fog/mental blankness, muscle weakness, impotence, penile shrinkage.
Comments:   Given 1mg Propecia for ~one week in 10/05, noticed instant compromise of sexual capacity and an increase in anxiety & confusion. Stopped because of this experience, however did not completely regain libido, sexual function or mental sharpness as promised. Tried treatment again two years later thinking my experience was normal and would subside with continued use (as indicated in drug info), until the same exact thing happened. I researched the symptoms and learned I was not alone thanks to propeciahelp.com, I stopped once again and have strived to reverse the damages since to no avail.

Propecia review by 32 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   baldness
Dosage & duration:   5mg taken once a day for the period of 9 months

Benefits:   Density of hair was maintained and some hair regrowth that was noticeable by others. It was used in conjunction with Minoxidil, which I had been using for a year or so.
Side effects:   slight discomfort of the prostate. felt as though it was a bit compressed or enlarged. Not anything major however. sexual functions and urination were just fine.
Comments:   The prescription was to take a tablet twice a day. I felt more comfortable taking it once a day instead.

Propecia review by 32 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Hair loss
Dosage & duration:   1 mg taken once daily for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   Possible slight improvements in texture.
Side effects:   Erectile problems,Severe anxiety, panic attacks, negative thoughts, depression, brain fog. Effected not only myself, but my family. This was not me. Only took for three months. Took much longer for side effects to subside. In my opinion a dangerous drug. May not have the same effect on everyone, but these side effects seem to be common enough to be documented and taken seriously. At this point seem to be being ignored.
Comments:   Took once daily until side effects became unbearable.

Condition / reason:   1MG
Dosage & duration:   1 tablet per day taken rarely miss a dose for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   provigil, lexapro

Benefits:   I was experiencing significant, rapid hair loss along the temples and top of the scalp (just behind hairline). My crown was relatively unaffected. Crown: The same, maybe better Top of scalp: Exceptional. Considerable regrowth, hair came back thicker. Hairline/Temples: Considerable re-growth. Not back to "normal", but still very impressive. Propecia has shown the most benefit in clinical studies + real world practice in the crown area. Its benefits are less pronounced as it nears the hairline. This has been my experience. Hair loss stopped within 6 months, significant re-growth @ 9 months. Re-growth continued thru 18 months, then has pretty much slowed down / stopped. I have 3 close friends who also take it, all have had excellent. results. For all who take Propecia, wait a full year before making a decision to discontinue.
Side effects:   Some mild erection problems. Nothing anywhere bad enough where I would even CONSIDER stopping. However I am 27 now...can't be 18 forever.
Comments:   Easy, one tab in the AM. That's it.

Propecia review by 45 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg qd taken po/qod for the period of 2 yrs
Other conditions:   none relevant

Benefits:   hair growth, regained at least 50% of lost hair. seriously I did and continue to use it
Side effects:   is teratogenic, not to be used if intending to have children. Otherwise none whatsovere- i am female, by the way
Comments:   it works- I also use retin a/minoxidil topically and growth was ok with those but much enhanced with the medication

Propecia review by 20 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   1mg taken 1 per day for the period of 1 year 4 months

Benefits:   Hair Regrowth
Side effects:   I experienced extreme fatigue, anxiety, depression, gynecomastia, apathy, anorgasma, penile fibrosis, penile numbness, loss of nighttime erections and endless hormonal imbalances. I took this drug for 1 year and 4 months. The anxiety and depression affected me almost immediately although I was completely clueless as to the cause. I cycled through every single anti-depressant and ADHD medication trying to solve this problem. It wasn't until I stopped the medication that I realized it was the Propecia. THESE SIDE EFFECTS HAVE NOT SUBSIDED AT ALL SEVEN MONTHS LATER! I would not wish this on my worst enemy. This drug has literally destroyed my life. I know that no one wants to lose their hair and look unattractive, but just imagine how attractive you will be if you are one of the unfortunate few of us that gets gynecomastia, penile fibrosis, and inability to ejaculate (I CANNOT EVEN MASTRUBATE TO ORGASM after taking this drug). If you value your life then I strongly suggest you find some other way!
Comments:   1 pill per day

Propecia review by 19 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Hair Loss
Dosage & duration:   1mg taken daily for the period of I'm still taking it..

Benefits:   I found that the Propecia did seem to counteract my hair loss. However, it did not do much for the hair I had already lost. I've been taking it for three years now and I have not seen any more receding, and my hair seems thicker than it used to be.
Side effects:   They say that a major side effect could be impotence and a loss of sexual desire, but I did not experience either of those. Other than that, I can not really think of any other side effects I have experienced with Propecia over the last three years.
Comments:   I take one pill each day. Sometimes when my prescription runs out, I am forced to miss a few days, but I do not notice any changes as I think the medicine takes a longer time to work and stop working. I've worked it into my daily routine and although I do not like having to take a pill every day at 22 it has not been a problem.

Propecia review by 24 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Receding Hairline
Dosage & duration:   1 mg/day taken 1 daily for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   I did find new hairs coming in on my scalp, but only in the middle of my head where I wasn't losing any hair, but that is about it.
Side effects:   After taking this drug for about a half of a year, I decided that the side effects weren't worth feeling miserable...even if that means I was going to be bald. The first month was okay, but after that I started having many emotional problems due to the hormone balance, I had difficulty receiving an erection, reaching orgasm, or being aroused in any way. My relationship with my girlfriend suffered greatly. My testicles constantly ached and some days it was hard to concentrate on anything else because I was so uncomfortable. After being off this medication for a few weeks now, I feel so much better. Just a few days after I took my last pill I could tell a huge difference in the way I was feeling. I would never take this medication again. I believe this company should look at the side effects more and re-evaluate the statistics that they originally advertised. It says that only about 1% of men experience any problems that I listed above...and it seems like I have read more negative reviews than positive.
Comments:   1 mg/day

Propecia review by 24 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Hair Loss
Dosage & duration:   1 pill per day taken 1 pill per day for the period of 1 month

Benefits:   In only took the pill for a month, so I do not think it was enough time to see the benefits.
Side effects:   Almost within the first week of taking the medication I noticed a decreased in libido (sexual drive), night time erections were gone, and morning wood was no longer there.
Comments:   I read about the drug before using it and I was very hesitant about using it since I heard about all the negative side effects. It didn't seem worth it to take the risk and try it, but I spoke to me Doctor about it. He advised me that if I noticed any of the symptoms, I should stop taking the medicine immediately. I took the chance because I don't want to look back ten (more like two, to be honest)years from now and say, "Man, I really wish I would have tried it. Maybe it would have worked, I should have at least done my best to fight this monster called baldness." So I tried it, and I knew almost within the second week that it wasn't for me. I notice all of the side effects and stop taking the medicine. I'm thankful for this website because it gives people the opportunity to be honest and share there experiences. If I had not read some of the comments, I might have continued with the medication and done more damage without knowing it. So thank you. I tried the drug, and realized it wasn't for me. I am very lucky that all of the symptoms have passed and I am back to normal. Funny thing though, here is something I realized, " I can't get laid without my hair, but if I take this drug, I can have hair but I still can't get laid." Who says the bug guy up there doesn't have a sense of humor? Good luck everyone.

Propecia review by 26 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   hair loss
Dosage & duration:   1mg taken once per day for the period of 6 months and still on
Other drugs taken:   gabapentin

Benefits:   My hair loss was stopped and I eventually grew new hair at the hairline and where the hair had receded on the side. I do not know if it affected my crown.
Side effects:   I noticed a slightly lowered libido and possibly a more slowly growing beard. My libido seems to be back to normal.
Comments:   I have to take 1mg/day to stop hair loss. I did not notice results until recently after having taken it for 6 months and I am hoping to notice even more once I have been on it for a year.

Propecia review by 28 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Hair less
Dosage & duration:   1mg taken 1x/d for the period of 2y
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   It greatly reduced the loss of hair in shower/on pillow in the morning. There has been no sign of balding on top of head, and no progression on the temples.
Side effects:   There were no noticeable side effects.
Comments:   I take it once a day in the morning and will continue taking it indefinitely.

Propecia review by 30 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   hairloss
Dosage & duration:   1 a day (dosage frequency: once a day refill once a month) for the period of 6 months
Other drugs taken:   none just tylonal and sleeping pills every now and then

Benefits:   It stopped my hair loss!!!! I have regrew some hair too!!! It works dudes try it! Stick with it cuz its worth it. Propecia is a dream come true. It didnt start REALLY working till after 5 months. I started using it 6 months ago and now i lose only 1 hair when i shower instead of like 12. Dude try it for real! I was worried about side affects at first but had none. Ive had a great experience and want to share it with you. I wish i started treatment earlier. My only advise is to do it now!!!!! I know what your going through. Give propecia a try bro! I really hope it works for you too!!!!!! Thank GOD for propecia!!!
Side effects:   none
Comments:   1 pill a day

Propecia review by 30 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Male Pattern Baldness
Dosage & duration:   1MG taken daily for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   Noticed a quick increase, and then a complete decrease in hair shedding. Perhaps after the 1st week I thought my hair loss increased, then it's like the hair that remained all strengthened, and then, the small hairs that shed started up new growth. I did not notice any viable new growth at the temple region, but the vertex and high forehead areas seem to be thicker and younger and better hairs then I had 6 months ago. I look forward to a 2 year review!
Side effects:   I've noticed an increase in sexual desire over this period. I find that I need to have sex at least daily, and or masturbate at least once a day to simply feel relieved and sexually relaxed. My doctor has reported that she has seen this reported more often then the 'common' side effects reported. In addition to my findings I find my Semen while in greater quantity during orgasm seems to be thinner after ejaculation.
Comments:   Took one pill orally in 1mg form, generic - daily for 6 months. (Am still taking....) At the 6 month mark I've certainly not lost more, the hair looks thicker, and longer. I do need to admit that I'm also using Nisim shampoo. Which has a clinical study reported to be successful. While it only has one ingredient which is thought to regrow hair, Saw palmetto , it's clinical trial after 5 months saw over 80 percent of men regrow hair. It's a stimulant that appears to work, while the shampoo appears to thicken hair. I think it is working in conjunction with propecia to restore my hair.

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   male pattern bladness
Dosage & duration:   1 mg/day taken once per day for the period of about 8 months

Benefits:   There were no benefits that I could perceive. The hairloss continued but worst of all the side-effects from this drug are severe and permanent. This is very disturbing!
Side effects:   Sexual Dysfunction, depression, swelling, fatigue, redness and insomnia. These side-effects were SEVERE and PERMANENT.
Comments:   This drug should NOT be on the market!

Condition / reason:   male-pattern baldness
Dosage & duration:   1mg/day taken once a day for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   none
Side effects:   The drug causes PERMANENT SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION, CHRONIC FATIGUE, REDNESS AND SWELLING! This is a very dangerous drug and it should not be on the market. Merck needs to be investigated for pawning this poison-pill onto the public. My life is completely destroyed and my side-effects have NEVER gone away. It also appears that Merck has filled the internet with a plethora of propecia-advertising websites in order to make consumer complaints harder to find on search engines.
Comments:   Starting using it in November of 1999 and stopped using during the summer of 2000.

Propecia review by 34 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   1 mg taken 1 per day for the period of 8 months

Benefits:   All but stopped my hair loss. After a couple of months I noticed that i had virtually no hair in my hands after washing it as opposed to 25-30 hairs before... also no more hair on my pillow, whereas before is was quite obvious it was falling out. Visually there is no more loss. I don't know if it is growing back, but as long as it stays i'm cool...
Side effects:   I havent had any side effects that people have claimed, and erectile function is normal. Also, my sex drive was relatively low before, so i dont think that has changed.
Comments:   one a day.... rarely miss a day... like some people, I dont like taking a pill everyday, but... but 2 dollars a day to keep your hair... definitely worth it!

Propecia review by 35 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   hair loss
Dosage & duration:   1mg per day taken once per day for the period of 3 months ongoing

Benefits:   Reversal of hair loss. To stop hair loss before it becomes noticable. I still have most of my hair and am using this drug as a preventative measure.
Side effects:   Slight loss of libido. Ejaculations are not as strong since starting drug. Less semen production. Sometimes slight pain during ejaculations.
Comments:   I take Propecia once per day to stop hair loss at the crown. I've been on it for 3 months and have noticed much less hair falling out.

Condition / reason:   hair loss
Dosage & duration:   1mg taken once a day for the period of have been for 5 years

Benefits:   My hair loss that I was experiencing stopped completely in it's tracks, and I actually grew back some hair at the crown of my head. Every individual to whom I've recommended the drug has had at least their hair loss stop. I'm a complete cynic and consider this a wonder drug. Once you start taking it (and if you continue to take it for the rest of your life- hey, that's science, man) you will keep all the hair you have from that moment on.
Side effects:   While they are forced to tell you that there is something like a 5% chance of becoming temporarily impotent, even for the people that effects the literature says that the majority of that small number get back their sex drive while continuing to take the drug. If you stop taking the drug it comes back immediately. I've not experienced any lessening of my libido, nor has anyone else that I've recommended the drug to.
Comments:   You have to have a doctor's prescription, but to avoid the annoyance and price of a doctor's visit you can go to several websites that allow you to pay an extra fee, fill out a questionaire and then have a doctor who is on their payroll give you the prescription. That is okay because really if you're having hair loss and you know you are, why do you need a dermatolagist to tell you- "yeah, you're losing your hair"? It's an idiotic rule that makes this a controlled drug. Anyway you take one pill a day- that's it, with or without meals.

Propecia review by 38 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   1 MG taken once a day for the period of 4 weeks
Other conditions:   Asthma.
Other drugs taken:   None.

Benefits:   Ostensibly this product will prevent further hair loss. While the initial male pattern baldness is mild, I fear worsening of the condition, and am taking this as a preventive measure.
Side effects:   I experienced sharp bursts of pain in the top rear left quadrant of my head intermittently for about seventy-two hours of commencing treatment. These subsided and may or may not be related to the medication.
Comments:   I began taking the product to stave off the onset of male pattern baldness. As the treatment is said to show full effects in two years, my four-week course is probably not enough to show results. I will report again in due time.

Propecia review by 38 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   1 MG taken once a day for the period of 4 weeks
Other conditions:   Asthma.
Other drugs taken:   None.

Benefits:   Ostensibly this will halt or even reverse the effects of male-pattern baldness. So far, one month in, there is not a great deal to report. I expected my hair loss to temporarily increase, as I had read in the literature that as dormant hair follicles reactivate, they push dead hairs out in order to form new ones. In other word, hair in a dead follicle will linger for a few months, and reactivation of the follicle will push out the old hair to make room for the new. So far, this has not occurred. The product must be taken for up to two years for any noticeable hair growth to take place, so I really haven't been on it long enough to judge its re-growth potential. In terms of halting the process, however, I must say there are fewer hairs in my brush each morning, so it's possible the drug is having an effect already. I will post a fuller report in another forty-seven months, I suppose.
Side effects:   I was surprised to experience brief blinding headaches in the upper left rear quadrant of my head, like a mini seconds-long burst of pressure that felt like a blunt object suddenly trying to explode out of my skull. This pressure would subside and I would go about my day. I'm told headaches are not one of the usual side-effects, so it may be an unrelated fluke. However, I've never had such an experience before, and it only manifested within about forty-eight hours of my first taking the drug and for seventy-two hours thereafter. The sudden and sporadic bursts of acute pain subsided, however, but I would caution anyone taking this drug for the first time to be on the lookout, especially if driving or in a public place with bright lights and a lot of noise around.
Comments:   Overall, whether I am having some sort of placebo-effect reaction or not, my subjective impression is that hair loss has slowed or stopped and that the hair remaining appears fuller. I presented my symptoms to the doctor and she issued a prescription that same day, which I filled that afternoon at a local pharmacy and began taking immediately. The formulation I was prescribed was 1 milligram, although I believe the usual prescription is for 2 milligrams and can go as high as 5 milligrams. My case was mild to begin with, so it may be difficult to judge results. However, other than the mild side-effects I described above, which subsided within three days, I must say overall that my experience has been a positive one.

Propecia review by 55 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Thinning hair and balding
Dosage & duration:   1 mg per day taken daily for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   The crown of my head was almost totally bald at age 54 and the remaining hair very thin. The front of my head was transplanted. If you looked at me in the daylight, you would say that I had a "balding problem" and of course with the transplants I looked strange After 6 months, it totally covered my crown and increased the texture of the remaining hair to a coarser density. All of the fine hairs which were dormant came back with stronger and previous-strength follicles. The transplanted hair on the top also became coarser. Except in a very strong light looking directly down on the top of my head, now no one would say I was bald or even "thinning." I am totally amazed with this product at age 55 and should have started taking it at 25.
Side effects:   None. No change in sex drive. Far less ejaculate than before however age 55 might have something to do with that.
Comments:   1 mg per day and that was it.

Propecia review by 46 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Hairloss
Dosage & duration:   .8mg taken 4 days on, 1 day off for the period of 8-9 years

Benefits:   With using generic finasteride there's no doubt that further hairloss has been prevented in my case. Before beginning on this, my hairloss was rapidly escalating, both at the front and back, and this ceased and slightly reversed once started, and hasn't progressed since.
Side effects:   Definitely loss of libido, tiredness, some fogginess of thought, loss of muscle tone, occasional testicular pain, lowered blood pressure, increased floaters in vision, some gynecomastia when cycling down (minimised by taking Zinc on those days, but I would say not to discontinue this medication suddenly if taking a break or quitting).
Comments:   Mostly generic Proscar - 5mg tablets cut into six equal pieces - 4 days on and one day off in a continuing cycle.

Propecia review by 25 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Hair lose
Dosage & duration:   1mg pill taken daily for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   I grew about half my hair back on top of my head.
Side effects:   Erection not as strong.
Comments:   I'm using the generic brand to save money. I've been using it for 6 to 7 months and I noticed hair regrowth within the second month.i did not do any research on the side effects and now that I think of it my eractions arn't what they use to be. I'm wondering if I stop using this drug if I will start balding again and the side effects will go away?

Propecia review by 29 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   thinning hair
Dosage & duration:   2.5mg taken daily for the period of 8 months
Other conditions:   anxiety, acid reflux
Other drugs taken:   nexium

Benefits:   After a couple weeks, my hair grew stronger, hairs that were lost along the hairline grew back. This product really does work
Side effects:   Not sure if this is related, but I had a pain in my testicle for about 3 weeks straight. Doctor ruled out hernia and UA came back negative for infections. I had a small decrease in libido, but it was nothing too serious. If you like having sex 5 times a day, then this might not be for you. But, you will still have a normal libido. Also maybe some fatigue, but again could be related to something else.(stress)
Comments:   overall,this is great if you can't stand rogaine.

Propecia review by 48 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   1 mg taken once daily for the period of 10 years

Benefits:   It effectively slowed my hair loss dramatically. My barber of 15 years says my hair has not changed. I notice slight loss over the years, but I still have a lot of hair whereas I would most certainly be bald without it!
Side effects:   None
Comments:   The cost is prohibitive for many. I took Propecia for many years (with great results) until I went to a new doctor and he offered to prescribe it's generic counterpart Finasteride. It costs about $30 for a six months supply compared to Propecia @ $85 for a one month supply. The only drawback is that the pill only comes in 5mg, so you have to cut it into 5 doses of 1mg. For that kind of savings it was no problem for me and it's been working for me for about 5 years! If your doctor won't do it, fire him/her as they are probably on the payroll of big pharma!

Condition / reason:   hair loss
Dosage & duration:   1 mg of Finasteridum taken 1 per day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   no other conditions
Other drugs taken:   no other drugs

Benefits:   After a couple of years of Propecia taking, I stopped loosing hair on the top of my head, moreover, it seems that hair got a little bit more dense, although I am not sure if this is just a feeling or a fact. It didn't improve my hairline in the temples though.
Side effects:   Slight breast enlargement, I did not suffer from other side effects written in drug's leaflet.
Comments:   Treatment is very simple, I take one pill per day (in the morning).

Propecia review by medical professional caring for 49 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Hair Loss
Dosage & duration:   1mg - one tablet/day taken per day for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   Hair loss almost stopped, although minor loss continued.
Side effects:   A difficulty in concentration, or 'mind fog', reduced visual acuity, fatigue, and an increased libido, which I didn't realise was due to the drug until I stopped taking it after 5 years. Symptoms disappeared after stopping the drug.
Comments:   I took Propecia (Finasteride) for 5 years, and then stopped. I started taking the drug again recently because my hair loss greatly accelerated after stopping the initial treatment, however, the adverse symptoms returned immediately, and so I again stopped taking the drug.

Condition / reason:   Hair loss, receding hairline
Dosage & duration:   1mg taken once a day for the period of 9 months

Benefits:   First of all there are a TON of competitors like rogaine on these reviews bashing propecia, how can you only take it for 3 months and have side effects that have ruined your life, i find that highly unlikely. Second, propecia does work even for a receding hairline, if u think your going to regrow your childhood hairline 99% of the time you won't. I have managed to keep my hair and regrow the thin parts and it just feels a lot better. and of course if you take a hormone blocking drug your gonna have sides but they are not bad at all i can still get a boner in about 10 seconds and its not limp. it didnt start really regrowing until about 6-7 months in so u gotta give it time.
Side effects:   not as bad as i was expecting, don't let some little drug mess with your mind man your bigger than that. if any i would say a lower libidio but i kind of like it because before propecia i was wanking off like 10 times a day and now its like once or every other day.
Comments:   propecia is cool just do research, actually this shit is too expensive but if u care about your hair i would recommend it.

Propecia review by 34 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   0.5 mg per day taken daily for the period of 2 days
Other conditions:   nothing
Other drugs taken:   nothing

Benefits:   I gave up the drug within one week and dint expect any benefit within such a short time period
Side effects:   I took the drug for two days. very first day i took 0.25 mg (1/4th of 1mg pill. after taking pill i felt like everything became faint.. As if a fog had covered everything before mt eyes. i ignored it but till evening i started feeling as if i was drunk. i could not concentrate on anything. I felt a bit of tiredness. I dint take the drug for next two days then i took 0.5 mg (1/2th of 1mg pill)on 3rd day and it proved to be the most horrible day of my life. It caused extreme tiredness and mild pain in body as if i have got mild fever. I was totally exhausted and confused about what was happening. I felt the sensation in my blood vessels as if my blood pressure had risen and difficulty in breathing. I was not able to think clearly and had no option than resting on my bed. i waited whole day to pass this nightmare. In night i tried to meditate to keep my mind peaceful. meditation helped me a bit but i found my rate was not normal . I went to sleep thinking every thing will be alright next day. in bed, I started feeling mild pain in my testicles. i surrendered my self to situation and waited for next morning meanwhile i got a sleep. Next morning i felt better as pain had disappeaed, tiredness was not there but still felt difficult to concentrate. But i could think clearly, I carried the remaining pills of propecia with me on my waY to office and threw them in dustbin on road. I dont know why it happened but I never happened to me again as i never repeated this mistake of taking this drug.
Comments:   I took it twice (2.5 and 0.5 mg on two separate days)

Condition / reason:   Thinning hair
Dosage & duration:   1 mg/day taken every day for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   Hair loss all but stopped - kept crown area full.
Side effects:   Brain fog, difficulty calling up names, places, or specific details at times. Very annoying. Slight loss of libido, erections affected very, very slightly (takes a small amount more time to achieve full).
Comments:   Started years ago when I saw hair falling out slowly. Worked extremely well, but saw more negative reviews over the years and felt more sluggish (in my mind) over time. Decided its not worth it, and am off it cold turkey as of 4 days ago. Feeling tired, and libido is lacking. Hoping I get back to my old self ASAP. I would not recommend this drug to anyone... hair is great, feeling 100% is WAY BETTER. Looking back? I'd leave it alone.

Condition / reason:   Hair loss
Dosage & duration:   1 pill/day taken everyday for the period of 5 month
Other conditions:   hair loss only

Benefits:   The hair loss stopped in 2 weeks, I am almost even sure that I have growth again on the area where I lost hairs. The effect were visble really quickly and I do not see any sort side effects as of now.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   One pill a day, but the problem is the price, it's not cheap otherwise it seems to be a real miracle pill for this problem.

Dosage & duration:   1 pill a day taken once a day for the period of 15 months

Benefits:   after taking propecia for over a year, starting when i was 20 years of age my hair continued to thin, and i noticed no significant benefits
Side effects:   Low sex drive, before i started taking this drug i was 19 years of age and full of "enthousiasm". Now engaged and 21 years old, my sex drive is very low, my wife and I are very unsatisfied. I am also very tired even during peak hours throughout the day, and its hard to concentrate on mundain tasks
Comments:   one pill once daily

Propecia review by 44 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   hair loss
Dosage & duration:   Standard dosage ? (dosage frequency: daily - weekly) for the period of 4 years

Benefits:   Male patern baulding was reversed significantly.
Side effects:   None noticeable.
Comments:   I started taking Propecia 4 years ago. Initially I took it daily as prescribed. Over about 12 or 13 months I noticed a significant reversal in my male pattern bauldness. Thereafter I slowly reduced the doseage and now only take 1 tablet once per week. My hair has not receded as a result.

Propecia review by 28 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   1 tablet taken daily for the period of 1.5 years

Benefits:   Slowed hair loss in front and top of scalp. Regrew hair at the back of the scalp and on sides. It doesn't appear that hair loss has ceased completely for MPB, but increased hair grow in another areas makes my head appear fuller
Side effects:   Loss of limbido. My case probably isn't a perfect control because I lost a high paying job, moved to another state, and moved in with my girlfriend when I began taking the medication. Within 4 months, started a brand new job and encountered other new stressors. I can attribute some of the loss of libido to job related stress and moving in with my girlfriend of 5 years. I would guess the effects on libido would be very minimal had my job and living situations remained constant. I'm overall much happier having thicker hair than I would be with a consistent sex drive. I am able to get more work done and focus more on important life goals than being constantly distracted with sex. Instead of wanting sex 5 times per week, I only want it twice per month now. Again, this is probably a plus
Comments:   I started slowing losing hair when I was 23-24. The hair loss was unnoticeable until I turned 27. My receding hairline started to become very apparent at 27, especially in my part line. I began taking propecia when I turned 28 and it appears to have regrown hair on the back and sides of my scalp and has slowed my receding hairline. Unfortunately, it appears that I am still developing a minor bald spot in the middle of my scalp. Based on my current rate of hair loss, I'm guessing that I will maintain a healthy head of hair for the next 4-5 years. At 35, I probably won't care how my hair looks because I'll be well out of the dating game. I don't think Propecia is a cure-all for my particular pattern of baldness, but I feel it would be highly effective for others. Anyone who is experiencing baldness at the back of scalp would benefit greatly. The receding hairline will probably continue, but at a much slower pace. I may eventually go completely bald regardless, but I honestly feel I've saved 3-5 years of youthful appearance.