Prinivil (Lisinopril) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Prinivil (Lisinopril) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 30 ratings/reviews, Prinivil has an overall score of 5.27. The effectiveness score is 7.13 and the side effect score is 6.60. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once per day for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   Lowered blood pressure
Side effects:   Coughing,fatigue, hair loss
Comments:   Took Lisinopril once per day

Prinivil review by 65 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   HBP
Dosage & duration:   10-20mg taken once a day for the period of 27 years
Other drugs taken:   Maxide, Atenolol

Benefits:   After starting on a diuretic and a beta blocker without significant results, adding the ACE inhibitor worked wonders, and has continued to do so for 27 years. The next step, if one becomes necessary will be to add a sartan. Based on my previous response. I expect it to be a happy experience.
Side effects:   For no apparent reason the dosage needs to be adjusted, up or down from time to time. Fortunately hypertension is not asymptomatic in this patient: have a headache, it's up, raise the dose; feel wiped out, it's down, lower the dose. All this has been confirmed by home, office, and pharmacy readings.
Comments:   I never expected to live this long, let alone feel as healthy as I do. My mother died at age 53, and the last years of her life were marred by pain, discomfort and significant disability due to cardiovascular disease. My experience is one more validation of the benefits of early and aggressive intervention in the case of mild hypertension.

Prinivil review by 50 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   High Blood Pressure & Left Ventricular Hypertrophy
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken 1 x daily for the period of Still using, 2 years +
Other conditions:   Left Ventricular Hypertrophy
Other drugs taken:   Baby Asprin & Vytorin

Benefits:   Lowered blood pressure, regression of LVH.
Side effects:   Annoying cough night or day ocassionally @ 10mg. Cough almost non-existent @ 20mg. No other noticeable side effects.
Comments:   Daily dosage of Lisinpril with HCTZ (water pill) 20mg. Reduce / limit intake of all forms of dietary sodium to 1000 - 1500mg. per day to reduce pitting edema. Brisk walking exercise 3-5 times a week for 45 minutes per session. Baby asprin daily and Vytorin to effect cholesterol levels.

Prinivil review by 51 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Nocturnal Myoclonus (like Restless Leg Syndrome)
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken nightly for the period of 14 years
Other conditions:   Many conditions, including eventual heart attack
Other drugs taken:   too numerous to mention, but took many

Benefits:   Nocturnal myoclonus (similar to restless leg syndrome) causes severe jerking of the legs every 15 seconds for up to 7 hours. Lisinopril allowed both myself and my partner to sleep at night. Somehow, the drug works without the adverse effects the other sleeping pills, neuro transmiter pills and anti-depressants had.
Side effects:   No adverse side effects, but it did keep my blood pressure down.
Comments:   Though it is a blood pressure medication, I have never had high blood pressure. I have taken Xanax, Ativan, Clonipin, and many other medications to allow me to sleep, but did not stop the nocturnal myoclonus(similar to restless leg syndrome). This meant I did not remain awake to experience the effects, but my partners did get kicked violently, kept awake with my movements and dirupted sleep. Though it is not known by many doctors, the research was down many years ago on this treatment by a VA doctor while in medical school in the 70s. It has been effective for so many years when I went 15 years without getting acceptable relief.

Prinivil review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypertension
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once day for the period of ongoing

Benefits:   My historically "high moderate" or borderline high blood pressure (140/90 or 150/100) has been brought to normal (110/70 or 120/80) so that further, more aggressive treatment is unnecessary.
Side effects:   I have noticed my sex drive is somewhat reduced; I am perhaps slightly more tired in the afternoons than I was before taking the Lisinopril.
Comments:   I take one tablet in the morning.

Prinivil review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   diabetes
Dosage & duration:   2.5 MG taken one tablet/day for the period of two months
Other drugs taken:   insulin: Lantis and humolog

Benefits:   Apparently, this ace inhibitor has positive effects against retinal and renal pathologies associated with diabetes and other cardio-vascular diseases.
Side effects:   Excessive prolonged coughing spells, especially at night, occasional diarrhea, isolated, patchy skin rashes on torso and extremities and itchy scalp all noticed within a week of starting this drug and has been persistent since.
Comments:   My doctor prescribed this medication as a prophylactic measure, since I have had Type I diabetes for the last 33 years. Recent tests have shown traces of protien in my urine possibly indicating early signs of renal failure.

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once daily for the period of forever
Other conditions:   thyroid cancer -thyroid removed
Other drugs taken:   thyridoxine

Benefits:   blood pressure in check just have to visit the doctor once a year blood pressure now is 80/130
Side effects:   I am a little more tired during the day. i know one of the side effects is fatigue.But it does not interfere with my everyday life
Comments:   I take 1 pill daily at night. I don't have any nausea or sleeplessness because of it. I tried to bring my blood pressure down with diet and exercise.It is supposedly hereditary. I am 50 and in good shape.

Prinivil review by 65 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   high-normal hypertension
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once daily for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   blood clots in vein in eye
Other drugs taken:   Coreg 20 mg. once at night

Benefits:   Lowered blood pressure
Side effects:   Extreme lethargy, coughing all day and during the night. Dry mouth and gagging at night. Nausea and the feeling of a weight on my chest. Sneezing, sore throat. Because I have allergies, I thought they were just giving me more trouble than usual. Constipation/diarrhea. The feeling of being winded with only a moderate amount of activity. I am only 15 lbs. overweight and am used to a very active life but feel down and depressed a lot and have problems getting to sleep at night.
Comments:   I had an average of 135 to 145 over 80 or 90 that is called high-normal. But because I had a stroke in my eye, my doctor felt that I had had a spike in blood pressure that caused the problem. I was given Coreg which brought the numbers down a bit, but then my Dr. felt that lisinopril would help take it down lower along with the Coreg-which it did. But then, my allergies seem to get really horrible and my breathing got worse and worse until I mentioned all of my symptoms at my three month check up today. It wasn't my allergies, it was the medication. We stopped the lisinoprol. I have never had such bad affects from a medication. I hope the new medication will be better, but you can bet I will check it out thoroughly before taking it.

Prinivil review by 55 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once a day for the period of 3 yrs now
Other conditions:   Low Thyroid
Other drugs taken:   Synthroid

Benefits:   It did lower my BP some
Side effects:   I'm not sure if the drugs did this, but I have severe tinnitus now, and it's driving me crazy!
Comments:   I definitely have to have synthroid, because once I stopped taking it, and I couldn't get out of bed I was so tired. I have not stopped the lisinopril, continue to take it with no side effects, except I wonder about the ear ringing.

Prinivil review by 55 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once a day for the period of 3 yrs now
Other conditions:   Low Thyroid
Other drugs taken:   Synthroid

Benefits:   It did lower my BP some

Prinivil review by medical professional caring for 85 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   ? 'heart failure'
Dosage & duration:   2.5mg taken 1 pd for the period of 2+ years
Other drugs taken:   beta blocker 2.5mg pd; furosemide

Benefits:   Initially effective perhaps but doctors loath to discontinue after symptoms disappeared
Side effects:   G.I disorder (? other drugs) bronchial spasm - stopped after cessation of drug
Comments:   'Heart failure' probably due to muscle wastage, as concurrentl seen in external muscles, as a result of malabsorption leading to gross malnutrition. Change successfully effected with food intolerance testing and susequent dietary reform.

Prinivil review by 51 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   5 mg taken once a day for the period of more than 5 years
Other conditions:   asthma
Other drugs taken:   advair 100/50

Benefits:   It lowered my blood pressure from borderline high (140/90) to normal (about 120/75). This treatment worked most of the time. THe only time it did not work as well was when I was ill or was having asthma related problems (difficulty breathing). During those times, even with the lisinopril, my blood pressure went up to the pre-treatment level.
Side effects:   For over a year after starting the treatment I believe I had a side effect of a dry cough that was probably caused by this drug. It was unclear whether or not it truly was caused by the lisinopril because the coughing did not stop when I temporarily halted treatment (for a few days). When the coughing was at it's worst, my blood pressure went up, nullifying the effect of the linsinopril.
Comments:   In spite of the irritating coughing, I continued taking the linsinopril and after numerous tests to rule out other causes of the coughing (one Dr. thought it was because of acid reflux), the coughing finally subsided. After about a year of coughing, the coughing finally subsided and now (5-7 years later) I don't have any coughing whatsoever attributable to the lisinopril.

Prinivil review by 53 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg once a day taken once a day for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   it lowered my b/p
Side effects:   Horrible caugh day and night for over a month,tiredness,lack of energy,head felling spacey,dizzyness upon laying down,no interest in sex,and most of all extreme chest pain, pain down both arms and hands.
Comments:   The effects of this drug in my oppinion almost killed me I no longer take it and doing good.

Prinivil review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   blood pressure
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once daily for the period of 2 wks
Other conditions:   hypothyroid
Other drugs taken:   thyroid

Benefits:   decreased bp
Side effects:   After three to four day started experiencing diarrhea and abdominal pain. The abdominal pain increased in severity over several days, starting in lower GI and moving up to include mid and upper abdomen. The drug was stopped for a few weeks. Thinking the GI pain may have been caused by a GI "bug", the lisinopril was restarted with the same reaction after two to three days. Drug discontinued.
Comments:   stopped drug. rechallenged few weeks later with same results

Prinivil review by 49 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   5 mg / day taken daily for the period of 1 month

Benefits:   the low dosage of Lisinopril reduced my blood pressure from 138/96 to 127/90.
Side effects:   Soon after starting treatment I developed moderate tinnitus, (ringing in the ears) in both ears but the ringing is more severe in the left ear. I also have dry mouth and dry throat with a slight cough and minor throat discomfort.
Comments:   I take 1 tablet per day, first thing in the morning.

Prinivil review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Seizure, HBP, Cholesterol
Dosage & duration:   L/20mg D/250mg S/40mg taken 1 x daily for the period of Presently
Other conditions:   Menopausal

Benefits:   BP running normal - no seizure activity - cholesterol good
Side effects:   Lisinopril - dry cough from time to time, but it has lessened - almost none
Comments:   Details - I take all meds in the am. I have had no drowsiness symptoms so it is easier to remember to take all meds following breakfast

Prinivil review by 59 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken 1/day for the period of 4 months
Other conditions:   high cholesterol,
Other drugs taken:   statins, zoloft

Benefits:   The only positive effects was blood pressure moderately controlled.
Side effects:   I wanted to switch from Atenolol because of concerns it would increase insulin resistance. So my Dr. prescribed Lisinopril and told me to take it for 3 weeks to see if it was going to be effective. After 3 weeks it was effective but I started noticing that gradually when I laid down to sleep at night, it felt like there was lots of mucous in my throat. Then the tickle started in my throat which made me feel like gagging. Then my voice was affected. It became hoarse and I noticed my throat felt soar. I searched on the internet and read about side effects from Ace Inhibitors and realized I was being negatively affected by the drug. I stopped the drug, but it has taken over a month to completely overcome the negative side effects.
Comments:   Take one 20 mg per day in the am.

Prinivil review by 54 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1/day for the period of less than one month
Other conditions:   hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   levothroid

Benefits:   It did bring my blood pressure into normal range.
Side effects:   I developed tinnitus in my right ear after I began taking it. It is almost constant. I have stopped taking it and hope the ringing will stop. I am going to speak with my doctor about using another medication for my bp.
Comments:   N/A

Condition / reason:   High bloodpressure
Dosage & duration:   30mg taken one daily for the period of Still taking it

Benefits:   No fluctuation anymore. Normal bloodpressure ever since
Side effects:   I have been taking this medecine for nearly ten years and haven't had any side effects that I am aware of.
Comments:   One daily dose of 30mg at night, never skipping a day. I go 3 to 4 times a year to my hypertension ist for checkups.

Prinivil review by 76 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once daily for the period of just started
Other conditions:   hip & joint problems
Other drugs taken:   Firocet/tension headaches, protonix/gerds

Benefits:   I have had headaches since age 17. The acid reflux isn't as bad as it used to be.
Side effects:   For my Blood Pressure its been as high as 199/105 and as low as 120/72. I have a fear of drs and hospitals and white coats. No matter how I try to relax it seems the pressure is always high. I had the other BP meds, Norvasc, Altonel, and used a diuretic to no avail.
Comments:   I am now dealing with high blood pressure and looking down the road at a hip and knee replacement.

Prinivil review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypertension
Dosage & duration:   25 mg taken 1/day for the period of 1.5 years

Benefits:   blood pressure lowered and water retention was decreased. overall I had less headaches and sinus pressure issues.
Side effects:   some side effects were noted, but not significant. Had issues with a dry cough in the beginning of the therapy, but this decreased as time went on.
Comments:   was taken for hypertension. no excessive side effects. medication was taken on a daily basis, once pill per day. My medication was usually taken at bedtime.

Prinivil review by 67 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   high blood preasure
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 1 tablet every 12 hours for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   asthma
Other drugs taken:   loratadine labetalol cingulair advair2 blood preasure

Benefits:   2blood preasure meds and still prescribed 1 more
Side effects:   some coughing
Comments:   1 pill every 12 hours,with 300mg labetalol every 12 hours and amlodipine 10 mg 1 per day. i have fatigue and muscle weekness the jury is still out,on why,it is now suggested i have a non alcoholic fatty liver,from a gallblader echo. I am very leary of taking any meds.for extra work for my liver.

Prinivil review by 61 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once per day for the period of 3 weeks
Other conditions:   Acid Reflux, Esophogeal Ulcers
Other drugs taken:   Protonix, Carafate

Benefits:   Reduced BP a few points.
Side effects:   Tinnitis (very load and annoying), leg and back pain, headaches, no coughing however
Comments:   Started on Lisinopril(20mg)/HCTV(12.5mg) and after 5 days the leg and back pain, headache, jumpiness were unbearable. Doctor assumed potassium loss due to the dieuretic and took me off the HCTV and went with Lisinopril(20mg) only once per day. The side effects continue well past the time when the HCTV should be out of my system. I am going to the doctor tomorrow and want off this drug completely. Plan to use diet and exercise to lower my BP.

Prinivil review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   DOCTOR SAID MY BLOOD PRESSURE WAS SOMEWHAT HIGH 14
Dosage & duration:   2.5 (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 MONTHS NOW
Other conditions:   NONE
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   Not very many at all. My Blood Pressure is still high sometimes. Doctor advice me not to increase dosis.But I am scared to stop the medication by myself and have serious health problems.
Side effects:   Horrible headaches,sensation of fullness in my head,dizziness, nausea, extreme fatigue, permanent ear ringing sensation,insomnia.I feel cold most all the time even if it is warm in the room I am in or outdoors.
Comments:   I want to clarify that except for the HBP I have never had these symptoms prior to taking the medicine.

Prinivil review by 58 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   5 mg taken once daily for the period of 5 years
Other drugs taken:   Prilosec

Benefits:   this drug lowered my mild hypertension to normal range
Side effects:   slight cough, especially at night
Comments:   I was prescribed this dose five years ago. I have been taking it daily ever since. It works. Ordinarily, when I check my blood pressure, it is in the normal range. The common side effect, caused by excess production of mucus, is no big problem.

Prinivil review by care giver of 68 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypertension
Dosage & duration:   low dose (dosage frequency: 1/ month) for the period of 5 yrs ago

Benefits:   My mother had slight high blood pressure and was prescribed Lisinopril along with the water pill. The medication was doing its job, lowering BP to normal.
Side effects:   Patient started with a sporadic cough. Any fragrance at all no matter how light the fragrance was would trigger a cough attack. Patient thought it was allergies. It then worsened and she was coughing day and night. She couldn't even sleep. It became so severe she was coughing all the time, when she talked when she ate. It was exhausting and debilitating, the cough was killing her. She then thought it was some lung problem, although she is not a smoker. She went to the Dr and Dr did a few allergy test and lung x rays. Well, then finally Dr checked high blood pressure medication. Yes, of course!!! it was the medication. She stopped taking it and the cough was completely gone, just like magic.
Comments:   Patient was taking a low dose of Lisinopril 1 pill a day for slight high blood pressure. She took the medication on and off for 5 years. She would take it when she felt she needed it. Sometimes for about 3 months in a row and other times just 1 time a week. Sometimes she would stop taking it for a couple of months.

Prinivil review by 73 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   2.5mg daily taken daily for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   high cholesterol
Other drugs taken:   cholesterol med

Benefits:   blood pressure under control
Side effects:   Head itching, mouth and throat itchy swollen, cough, ringing in ears, bloating, extreme fatigue and depression.
Comments:   I have been off this medication for 2 weeks. No more itching/swelling, ringing. I still have some fatigue, but not constantly and hope that I will continue to improve. While many people seem to take this drug without significant side effects, for some it is pure poison. Beware!

Prinivil review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   High Blood Pressure
Dosage & duration:   Started out on 10 mg and now take 20 mg taken once per day for the period of At least nine months now
Other conditions:   Menstrual issues
Other drugs taken:   When I started the lisinopril I wasn't on any other medications

Benefits:   It did lower my blood pressure, although my physician wanted to lower it further because I started out on 10 mg a day so the medication doseage was raised to 20 mg which as been more effective at lowering my blood pressure. Even though my blood pressure wasn't dangerously high since cardiovascular issues run in my family my doctor wanted me to take this drug because of family history even though I am young.
Side effects:   On the 10 mg dosage I noticed that my throat was itchy and scratchy, causing a lot of cough and some gagging with the cough. For some reason this problem disappeared when I was switched to the 20 mg dosage. At times I get a bit of ringing in my ears but it is not regular. I do notice fatigue and although I have started taking other medications after starting the lisinopril I think the lisinopril did affect my libido, although not a lot.
Comments:   Mostly pleased with lisinopril because it is effective at keeping my blood pressure down. Due to a one time mail in problem with my prescription service I was off the lisinopril for approximately a week and my blood pressure went right back up, and was under control again a few days after starting up. I keep track of my blood pressure at home and it regularly remains in a very good range of 128/60 or so with some variations. I am hoping not to stay on the drug for long term but since my blood pressure went right back up after a short time of not taking it I'm not sure how short term it may be.

Prinivil review by 61 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   High blood pressure
Dosage & duration:   20 mg. taken once per day for the period of currently taking it

Benefits:   Blood pressure numbers decreased significantly. Had headaches in the past, most likely due to high blood pressure - no longer having any problems with headaches.
Side effects:   I didn't experience any noticable side effects.
Comments:   I take one pill per day and have been for the past five years. I am now following a new eating and exercise plan and have lost weight, so I may not have to continue with this medicine in the future.

Condition / reason:   HIgh Blood Pressure
Dosage & duration:   40MG taken 1 daily for the period of 2 Years
Other conditions:   Acute Sinusitis
Other drugs taken:   Metoprolol 50MG

Benefits:   Has brought BP down to 128/85
Side effects:   (never had any of these sympton prior to taking the drug. Swelling in my knee and ankles (it comes and goes not as much as the first year, very tired all the time, out of breath walking at times, weight gain 45LBS first year on drug, significant increase in sinus infections, constant clear drainage down the back of my throat to the point where it chokes me at night because it backs up in my throat. The gagging cough makes me feel like Iím going to vomit at times and my throat always feels swollen. Voice became hoarse then most recently lost it for three weeks; when throat is swollen have a throat cough that sounds like a seal. Intermittent dizziness and more recently longer periods lasting up to weeks at a time. Ear ringing and head feels stuffy more often then not.
Comments:   I'm going to see a new doctor and insist I be taken off this medication. My entire quality of life has decreased since starting this drug. It starts very slow but the longer I have been on it the worse the symptoms have become. I think it becomes more toxic with time.