Prilosec (Omeprazole) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Prilosec (Omeprazole) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 25 ratings/reviews, Prilosec has an overall score of 7.24. The effectiveness score is 7.92 and the side effect score is 8.40. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Prilosec review by 31 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Heartburn
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken twice daily for the period of 4 Years

Benefits:   It reduced the amount of acid that my stomach produced and therefore allowed my stomach and esophagus to heal to some degree. I also took it for years to control my regular acid reflux problems.
Side effects:   I developed joint pains and arthritis as well as constipation, stomach aches, and overall reduced health.
Comments:   Eventually my body was so used to the Prilosec that it was almost impossible to get off. My body was working very hard to produce enough acid for protein digestion that whenever I stopped taking Prilosec there would be a huge backlash of extreme acid production.

Prilosec review by 38 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken daily for the period of Continuous

Benefits:   Acid reflux ceased to exist when taking Prilosec.
Side effects:   I have had no side effects from Prilosec.
Comments:   It's pill you take 20 minutes before eating breakfast. It stops the acid from the stomach backing up into the esopogus.

Prilosec review by 53 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken as needed for the period of 4 years
Other conditions:   hypothyroid
Other drugs taken:   levothyroxine

Benefits:   Stomach had been aching continually for several months, with constant belching andd a feeling of pressure in the upper throat. Heartburn was not a significant complaint. I lost about 5 lbs due to a loss of appetite. I first started on a dose of 20 mg/day, and decided to increase to 40mg/day when the symptoms were not fully alleviated. That dosage helped the symptoms, but I still have to be careful when, what and how much I eat or the problem will start up.
Side effects:   None really. however, I am concerned about the correlation to osteoporosis, since proton pumps are probably involved in bone remodeling. Now I take only 20mg daily as needed.
Comments:   Take 20mg first thing in the morning about half an hour before breakfast, or before I have a meal I know will cause problems - Italian food, garlic, spicy, etc.

Prilosec review by 47 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once daily for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   rheumatoid arthritis
Other drugs taken:   prednisone, arava, methotrexate

Benefits:   It somewhat relieved my heartburn for a few days.
Side effects:   No side effects.
Comments:   Because of the high cost of my prescription Previcid, I tried Prilosec OTC. It seemed to calm my heartburn for about 3-4 days. Then the heartburn returned along with nasaus. I continued Prilosec for about 10 days, but my heartburn became too intense and I reverted back to Previcid. Previcid seems to be the only drug that completely stops the heartburn.

Prilosec review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   heart burn
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 1 per day for the period of 14 days

Benefits:   My heart burn was relieved within forty eight hours and continued for the length of the treatment. I was very satisfied with the results.
Side effects:   There were no side effects from taking this medicine.
Comments:   I took the medicine once a day in the morning for 14 days. Whenever heart burn reoccurs I repeat the treatment.

Prilosec review by 58 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Barretts disease
Dosage & duration:   20mg,Took 30 mg first year taken once a day for the period of since 1996
Other conditions:   high cholesterol
Other drugs taken:   Lovastatin and Zetia

Benefits:   I was actually throwing up a couple of times a week during the night. Found I had Barretts and the treatment cleared up the Barretts after about 5 years.
Side effects:   I have an artifical hip and have constant discomfort where implant was put into femur. I was having quite a bit of back pain and about a year ago started lifting moderate weights about 3 days a week and that seemed to clear up the problem. Sometimes when I overeat or accidently drink a lot of alcohol I get extreme chest pain. I actually break out into a sweat and the pain works from center of my back to front of my chest. After it subsides which is usually 15 to 20 minutes I will be extremely exhaused.The first time it happened I thought I was actually having a heart attack.So to counter the issue I try to eat less at a meal and nibble more often during the day. I still don't know I the moderate discomfort in my leg is the medication, so I guess I will live with it.I have read a bit about the different symptoms and being a little older its hard to determine if its drugs or age causing some of the issues.
Comments:   I take 20mg everyday before I eat dinner. To me the side effects have been worth it I don't believe I would be here today if I wasn't taking this medication. My dad died of stomach cancer. My brother and sister exhibit the gerd symptoms and are also on the drug now.

Prilosec review by 26 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   45mg taken once a day for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   The acid reflux went away for a few months after just a few days of being on the drug. The heartburn started again as soon as I stopped taking it. So I began treatment again. 6 months passed and I stopped taking it. The heartburn came back, and seemed worse even. The doctor said I should try another 6 month treatment. I did, and the same exact thing happened. This went on for about three years. I asked why this wasn't curing my reflux. The doctor quite frankly told me that it wasn't a cure, but a "treatment for the symptoms". I was told that I would probably be on it for the rest of my life.
Side effects:   Constipation, dry mouth and some mild dizziness that would go away after medication was stopped for a few days.
Comments:   I was given Prilosec prescription at a dose of 45mg per day. Medication was taken once, every morning before eating. Each treatment duration was for 6 months.

Prilosec review by 28 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Heartburn/GERD
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken once a day, in the morning for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   Colitis

Benefits:   Heartburn was lessened, but new symptoms began (possibly side effects) which made a new set of problems. Severe heartburn occurred 5-7 times a week before treatment, and was brought down to 2-3 times a week during treatment.
Side effects:   Chronic constipation, dry mouth and mild dizziness. The side effects, aside from the constipation were usually mild and went away after treatment was discontinued.
Comments:   40mg a day of Prilosec were prescribed to me after I complained to my doctor of chronic heartburn symptoms. I began taking it that day, and once every morning there after. Heartburn symptoms began to subside after 2-3 days of taking it. Mild side effects after about a week. The most noticeable and bothersome side effect (constipation) began after about 9 days of treatment. After putting up with it for a week I went to my doctor. He prescribed a mild laxative and suggested I stay on the Prilosec for at least 2 months to get the drugs full benefits. I did, but the constipation was still there (laxatives helped some). The doctor switched me to Nexium, which worked just as well and without the constipation.

Prilosec review by 40 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   Acid Reflux
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once per day for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Reduction of acid.
Side effects:   Side effects from 20mg per day after one year of use were those listed in over-dose of prilosec side effects; along with other side effects not listed. Anxiety, heart racing, saliva depletion (resulting in excessive cavities), facial bumps (going away after two weeks off), constant extreme thirst, aggitation, saliva gland malfunction/swelling, lack of hair growth.
Comments:   Very difficult to get off of this drug. Took apple cidar vinegar.

Prilosec review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Gastric Esophogeal Reflux Disease
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   I would have complete relief from acid reflux if I took the medication daily. If I skipped a day, I would start to have severe gastric distress from acid reflux, would then have to take the Prilosec as well as an instant-acting Tums or Rolaids.
Side effects:   If I took the pill and also several Tums or rolaids, I would get diarrhea.
Comments:   I worry about taking a pill for acid reflux because I read a study that says that this type of medication can also leach the calcium out of your system. I am 49 and have a family history of osteoporosis so this concerns me. I have been tested for osteoporosis and my bone density and strength is within normal limits.

Prilosec review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   gastritis
Dosage & duration:   10 mg. taken daily for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   hiatal hernia

Benefits:   Eliminated pressure in my upper abdomen and reduced reflux. I have a hiatal hernia so it also helped with acid reflux.
Side effects:   None, but I am concerned about calcium absorption since I have Osteopenia. I was supplementing with B12.
Comments:   Dose was once a day. I've been off it for two months and have some mild symptoms of gastritis.

Prilosec review by 61 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   GERD - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
Dosage & duration:   20 mg capsules taken 1/day or 2/day if needed for the period of Still take -- 5 years
Other conditions:   esophageal hernia & COPD
Other drugs taken:   no prescription drugs. Only vitamins

Benefits:   Stops acid reflux back into esophagus causes by eating, stooping, bending or even sitting in a position that pushes the stomach up, or just from eating even if standing. Prevents burns to esophagus that can lead to esophageal cancer and ongoing pain.
Side effects:   None that I experienced.
Comments:   I was diagnosed with a moderate to severe case of GERG with an esophageal hernia over 7 years ago, and spent two years at physicians request trying a mix of different OTC drugs. NO OTC drug worked to stop the burning and the coughing after meals caused by GERD. I tried most everything you'd find in the OTC shelf in a drug store. Tums, Zantac, etc. etc. etc. Finally, doctor ordered Prilosec for me, 1/day, 20mg, taken in am before eating. At that time Prilosec with still not yet over the counter, still requiring a physician prescription. It worked beautifully and I have taken it since, daily. If I don't take it, symptoms immediately occur after eating. It does NOT however stop the cough that occurs after eating or otherwise from GERD. Recently, I have had to increase my dose "occasionally" to 1 pill also before dinner, but that is usually only if I'm eating later than expected. I have never taken Nexium -- the HMO didn't cover it, but since Prilosec works so well, I don't feel the need to experiment.

Prilosec review by 65 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   nausea after eating
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 2ce/day for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   HCTZ

Benefits:   I was able to eat without nausea and vomiting after meals. I was able to regain lost weight. I was able to eat normal sized meals again.
Side effects:   I had no side effect with the treatment. The only drawback was the need to eat within 30 minutes of taking the medication. There were times when an unavoidable delay in the mealtime made it necessary to eat something else in the interim.
Comments:   I didn't have usual GERD symptoms of heart burn. I was skeptical that my stomach was producing too much acid. I tried other home remedies like drinking diluted apple cider after a meal that seemed to work at times but didn't always. After my doctor prescribed prilosec, it took several weeks before relief was complete. I am still taking the medication but have scaled back to 20 mg just once a day.

Prilosec review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   severe indigestion diagnosed as possible ulcer
Dosage & duration:   20mg once per day taken when needed for the period of still use occasionally

Benefits:   Although I was meant to take these daily, I felt my condition had arisen mainly due to a major change in diet. Being someone who doesn't like to take drugs regularly I decided to use on an as needs basis, so I now take if I feel the regular need to burp and have the early signs of indegestion (i.e. a knotty feeling in the centre of my chest, below the breast bone. For me, this drug acts quite quickly (about 15 mins) and goes a long way to alleviate the symptoms.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Not sure I understand this request! I was prescribed a daily dose for 28 days but use on an as needs basis.

Prilosec review by 45 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40mg taken every day f for the period of 6 to 8 weeks
Other conditions:   irritable bowel syndrome

Benefits:   there were excellent benefits including the reduction of extereme burning sensation in the stomach, throat and mouth. Also a reduction in bloating of the stomack and cramps. i was also able to eat a more varied diet without the awful symptoms of burning and indigestion which normally accompany the acid reflux.
Side effects:   i have to say that i didn't really have any major side effects from this drug, ceratinly none that would out weigh the positives.i did experience constipation on a regular basis but i increased my fibre and fruit and vegatable intake to counteract this problem.i also did experience and increase in headaches, but they were very mild.
Comments:   Losec tablets contain a medicine called omeprazole.This belongs to a group of medicines called "proton pump inhibitors" They work by reducing the amount of acid that your stomach produces. If you suffer with acid reflux, this means that the stomach produces too much acid which can cause pain and burning and often travels up your throat causing damage to it.

Prilosec review by 58 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once/day for the period of 14 days
Other drugs taken:   Aleve Evista lovastatin

Benefits:   the product was supposed to control heartburn, but had very little affect, even after 14 days of use.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   When I first began having heartburn, my physician prescribed Prilosec D/R. I hadI took if for several weeks, but it didn't seem to control the heartburn. He then prescribed Ranitidine,300mg, which I took for several years with very good results. When I was sent for an upper endoscopy, the performing doctor suggested I take Prilosec. I tried it again, for a month, but I began having severe heartburn again. Now I am taking Nexium, which works very well for me.

Prilosec review by 46 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Acid Reflux
Dosage & duration:   40mg taken 0nce a day for the period of 17 years
Other conditions:   panic attacks
Other drugs taken:   zoloft

Benefits:   disappearance of very severe symptoms of acid reflux and excessive stomach acid production which included ulceration on the esophagus and stomach lining.
Side effects:   I am allergic to a great variety of prescription and over the counter drugs. When the patent for Prilosec expired my doctor prescribed Nexium which in a matter of hours sent me to the emergency room with pancake size hives and disabling swelling of the joints. I went back to Prilosec (over the counter now) and have been taking this medication faithfully for the past 17 or so years with no side effects or allergic reactions.
Comments:   40 mg. once a day and more recently (for the past 5 or 6 years) 40 mg. every two days.

Prilosec review by 56 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once daily for the period of indefinitely

Benefits:   This medication provided me with total relief from heartburn. It is normally taken daily, 1/2 hour before breakfast.
Side effects:   There were no sside effects.
Comments:   This generic version of Prilosec OTC can be taken daily on a long term basis to prevent/control the symptoms of acid reflux. It is very easy to remember to take it, as it is normally taken at the same time every day-- before breakfast.

Prilosec review by medical professional caring for 53 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40mg taken daily for the period of 13 years
Other drugs taken:   Synthroid

Benefits:   Initially diagnosed with GERD 13 years ago, I was miserable with C/O heartburn and an uncomfortable epigastric "feeling" After EGD I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and gerd. Started on Prilosec and cut back on caffeine and quite smoking. I have not experienced any symptoms since that time.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Prilosec 40mg at HS

Prilosec review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acid reflux
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken every day for the period of 2+ years (ongoing)

Benefits:   It completely eliminated all heartburn symptoms. I am able to eat what I want whenever I want. This is after nearly 2 years (before going on the drug) of trying to change my diet and lifestyle but no matter what I did, I could not find relief of constant, daily heartburn. My days used to revolve around juggling over the counter heartburn medicines. This drug finally gave me relief.
Side effects:   No side effects.
Comments:   Unlike another user claims, this drug does not "teach" your body to produce more acid. Once it's out of your system, it's out of your system, and yes the symptoms of acid reflux will likely return because this drug is not meant to cure any underlying condition, but simply to manage the painful symptoms of GERD and other problems with producing excess stomach acid. I will probably have to take it forever, but it's worth it to me to take a medicine every day versus suffering every day with constant heartburn and acid reflux.

Prilosec review by 37 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   stomach acid
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once a day for the period of 10 months
Other conditions:   acid reflux

Benefits:   It did seem to control the my acid reflux in the beginning. However, being that I am now pregnant (3 months) it doesn't seem to be strong enough to help. My acid reflux is out of control and I was just diagnosed with gastritis. My stomach burns a lot.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   One 20 mg capsule every morning

Prilosec review by 24 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Gerd
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once a day. for the period of one week
Other drugs taken:   Allergy medicine, fish oil, Vitamin D3

Benefits:   Relieved Gerd symptoms.
Side effects:   Caused severe constipation, gas, gas pains and left side pain.
Comments:   My dog died and I had chest pains and other Gerd-esque symptoms. I went to doc, they gave me a sample of Prilosec. I began on it and developed the problems. I stopped taking it for about two days, I started feeling bleh and the symptoms Prilosec caused started to go away. To make sure it was the Prilosec, I took it again. The side affects returned within a hour. I am now struggling to get rid of the symptoms and the withdrawal. I would not recommend Prilosec to anyone.

Prilosec review by 40 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   26 mg taken once daily for the period of 4 years

Benefits:   completely relieved acid reflux and eliminated all symptons such as heartburn, cough, etc. completely relieved acid reflux and eliminated all symptons such as heartburn, cough, etc. completely relieved acid reflux and eliminated all symptons such as heartburn, cough, etc.
Side effects:   none completely relieved acid reflux and eliminated all symptons such as heartburn, cough, etc. completely relieved acid reflux and eliminated all symptons such as heartburn, cough, etc. completely relieved acid reflux and eliminated all symptons such as heartburn, cough, etc.
Comments:   once daily completely relieved acid reflux and eliminated all symptons such as heartburn, cough, etc. completely relieved acid reflux and eliminated all symptons such as heartburn, cough, etc. completely relieved acid reflux and eliminated all symptons such as heartburn, cough, etc.

Prilosec review by 54 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   dyspepsia
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken 1 a day for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   acid reflux was controlled as long as the capsule was taken first thing in the morning, less effective if taken later.
Side effects:   Larger dose was initially prescibed, side effects were migranes and blurred vision. Neither of these had been experienced prior to taking this drug and when it was reduced to 20mg side effects were not completely eliminated but considerably reduced.
Comments:   1 20mg capsule taken with water 1st thing in the morning.

Prilosec review by 55 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   heartburn
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken 1 x day for the period of 10 years
Other conditions:   arthritis, colostomy
Other drugs taken:   levothyroxine, allopurinol. zolpidem

Benefits:   stopped the heartburn
Side effects:   impossible to get off of them after a period of time....if you stop after years (I started on them when they first came out) your throat will feel like it is being ripped with a knife and you will eventually take them again (trust me...I stopped opiates cold turkey...but not these)
Comments:   I think the drug should be removed from the market, accept for severe cases of GERD , and, patients should only be on them for a couple weeks..otherwise, they should be told they will be on them the rest of their lives--they should never be allowed OTC...why do you think Prilosec has that new commercial out, "let your doctor do his job"? Because everyone is complaining that they cannot get off of it now...