Prevacid (Lansoprazole) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Prevacid (Lansoprazole) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 22 ratings/reviews, Prevacid has an overall score of 7.77. The effectiveness score is 8 and the side effect score is 8.64. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Prevacid review by 66 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   gerd
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1@day for the period of taking yet
Other conditions:   hiatal hernia ,acid reflux, barrets esophaghus

Benefits:   prevacid kept me from from having acid reflux.. Have been taking this drug for about 4 years..
Side effects:   There were no side effects from the treatment...
Comments:   When I get up in the morning I take 1 prevacid capsule and I dot not have any acid reflux for the entire day

Prevacid review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   indigestion
Dosage & duration:   15 mg taken once a day for the period of two weeks
Other drugs taken:   vitamins, lecithin, rosehip extract

Benefits:   Decreased the acidity in stomach.
Side effects:   None so far.
Comments:   I took a capsule twice a day for two weeks to help control the excessive acidity in my stomach.

Prevacid review by 54 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30 mg taken once daily for the period of 1 month
Other conditions:   asthma
Other drugs taken:   Advair

Benefits:   Taken each morning 30 minutes before eating, keep me from having any acid reflux. One daily dosage worked for the entire day. Even into the evening, if I ate spicy food or chocolate, I could go to bed without experiencing any heart burn.
Side effects:   None that I have encountered.
Comments:   I have been taking meds for my acid reflux for many years, originally Omeprazole (generic for Prilosec). However, becaus Omeprazole was not on my insurance drug formulary, I was taking Prilosec OTC. At my last check-up my doctor prescribed the Prevacid and I like it. It even tastes like strawberries!

Prevacid review by care giver of 80 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1 40mg pill daily taken once daily for the period of once

Benefits:   She did not seem to have much benefit from it. She still had considerable gas & acid reflux.
Side effects:   No side effects. Her only complaint was that it did not work as well as she thought it would
Comments:   She was to take one pill in the morning with the first meal of the day. No other treatment instructions.

Condition / reason:   Severe Heartburn
Dosage & duration:   20 MG taken 2x/day for the period of 1 year
Other drugs taken:   Vitamins

Benefits:   Overall acid reduction; however, it could be sporadic. With taking the medication, still had to watch diet and avoid triggering foods. At times, the medication was not effective.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Symptoms were so severe they would wake me up in the middle of the night, gasping for breath at times. This treatment reduced episodes such as this, but was not 100% effective at all times.

Prevacid review by 23 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   GERD
Dosage & duration:   30mg taken 2x/day for the period of 5 years
Other drugs taken:   None related

Benefits:   Feels like it stops nearly all acid production, heartburn is gone. Due to cardia weakness stomach contents can still travel up esophagus but no burning sensation is felt. Regardless there is still some mild irritation in my esophagus.
Side effects:   Nothing noticeable. Soluble tablet has a slightly unpleasant aftertaste. Unknown if my vitamin B12 levels have been affected.
Comments:   Will likely be on Prevacid indefinitely due to GERD unless I have Nissen fundoplication surgery, and perhaps even still then. Had trouble with coverage under a new insurance company when I changed and I now take the soluble tablet instead of the capsule. If I discontinue the drug then heartburn returns fully after a couple of days.

Prevacid review by 57 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   pre-barrett (errosion of the esophagus)
Dosage & duration:   30 Mg. once a day taken once for the period of still taking it
Other conditions:   GIRD

Benefits:   the prevacid allows me to eat and drink certain foods/fluids that I normally could not tolerate anymore without great discomfort i.e. spicy foods, coffee, chocolate, tomato products, and alcholic drinks, which I only drink occassionally such as red wine. If I skip the prevacid for any reason, I almost certainly will be very uncomfortable.
Side effects:   It seems to give me a tendency to gain weight in the abdomen. I did try some alternatives, including Nexium, which was not a good substitute at all!
Comments:   I have been on prevacid for approximately 6 years as a a prophylactic against the pre-barretts. I have tried to slowly come off the drug (it is the only one I use) but I would venture to guess that unless I changed my diet significantly, this is not going to happen.

Prevacid review by 56 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   ?? (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 2 month

Benefits:   Taken daily, Prevacid successfully reduced my acid stomach symptoms to the point that they did not occur. I did not need other over the counter remedies I had used in the past, such as anti-gas and antacid medications taken after symptoms appeared.
Side effects:   Unfortunately, I became woozy and suffered dizziness after taking the medication, often requiring that I lie down and or take a nap. After an initial period of a few hours, these symptoms subsided. Side effects were sporadic and I tried initially to continue the medication due to its effectiveness.
Comments:   Prevacid was prescribed for my symptoms of acid reflux, which included some stomach upset and "full" feeling after eating. Although it was highly effective, I eventually discontinued use of Prevacid due to side effects. I am now using over the counter Zantac successfully, only as needed, not daily. It should be noted that I am very sensitive to medication and often react to medications that are not a problem for others.

Prevacid review by 56 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   ?? (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 2 month

Benefits:   I suffered from acid reflux symptoms which included mild stomach upset and a full feeling after eating. Prevacid eliminated these symtoms very effectively to the point that I did not need repeated doses of over the counter anti-gas medication and antacids.
Side effects:   Taken daily, Prevacid unfortunately caused severe side effects which included dizziness and a woozy feeling like I was over medicated. The side effects were so severe that I often was unable to work and needed to lie down and occasionally took a nap.
Comments:   Prior to taking Prevacid, my symptoms required daily doses of anti-gas medications and occasional antacids. Although Prevacid was very effective, I discontinued use of it and switched to over the conter Zantac because of the side effects. As a note, I am very sensitive to medications and often experience side effects from different medications and thus refrain from any unless experiencing severe symptoms.

Condition / reason:   Stomach ulcers
Dosage & duration:   15 mg taken once daily for the period of one year

Benefits:   After approximately two weeks of first using Prevacid, I noticed significant improvement in my symptoms. Within 2 months, the symptoms had completely been resolved.
Side effects:   No side effects at all.
Comments:   I began experiencing serious stomach pains and persistant diarrhea. Friends and family suggested that I had irritable bowel syndrome and I thought I would just have to deal with it. My symptoms progressed to the point that I was barely eating and had lost a significant amount of weight. I consulted with a gastroenterologist who performed an endoscopy. I was diagnosed with multiple stomach ulcers and was prescribed Prevacid 15 mg capsules to take once daily. Within 2 weeks of taking the medication, I started to notice improvement in my ability to eat certain foods. Within one month, I could eat practically anything with only an occasional onset of symptoms. After 2 months, I was no longer having any problems. My doctor recommended that I continue taking the medication and I did so for approximately one year. I have had no problems since discontinuing the medication so it definitely resolved the problem.

Prevacid review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   heart burn
Dosage & duration:   30mg taken once a day for the period of 4 weeks

Benefits:   After a copule of days I started to feel a little better. I did not feel as much tension in my stomach, and the pain started to go away. I have been using it everytime I feel pain in my stomach. I did not have heart burn though. It was only treated for pain/ulcer purposes.
Side effects:   None. I did not feel any side effects whatsoever.The only thing is that it does not work inmediately like other pills. It takes several days for the pill to start working, but it does do the job.
Comments:   It took several days for the medication to start working, but once it did I felt better. I have to take one pill everyday with food for 4 weeks.

Prevacid review by care giver of 2 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Eosinophilic esophagitis
Dosage & duration:   1.25 mg taken 3 times/day for the period of 2 months (ongoing)

Benefits:   It is difficult to discern if there were any real treatment benefits. Our son was given Prevacid after being diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis in an attempt to stop frequent bouts of mid-night stomach pain. It is possible the Prevacid had a mild-moderate impact on his stomach pain but more than likely it was the concurrent dietary modification.
Side effects:   There were no long-term side effects. The first several evenings his stomach pain seemed to increase so the frequency was reduce to twice daily for the first 2 weeks.
Comments:   Treatment consisted of Prevacid (1.25 mg) three times a day and at this time the duration is indefinite. Concurrently his diet was modified, removing wheat, peanuts, dairy and beef, based on a blood based allergy test. The next phase of evaluation will include a measured DTH response to the identified allergens.

Prevacid review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   stomach pain
Dosage & duration:   30mg taken daily for the period of 1year
Other conditions:   depression
Other drugs taken:   welbutrin

Benefits:   After 2 days of taking the medication my stomach pain subsided. The burning i also began to go away. it took a full week for everything to return to normal for mw.
Side effects:   While I have been taking the medicaion I have not experience any side effects. The only thing that bothered me was that it took about 2 dayss to see improvement which was not a long time but when you are uncomfortable it seems much longer.
Comments:   Went to doctor because of burning and pain in my stomach. As long as I was consantly full my stomach was better but the second it became empty I was back to being uncomfortable. I want to get rid of these symptoms before I became over weight so i went to my doctor and he started me on 60 mg for 1 week and then I was changed to 30 mg once a day and after a couple of days I felt much better. and have every since.

Prevacid review by 50 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30mg 2x daily taken 2xdaily for the period of still take
Other conditions:   gastroparesis
Other drugs taken:   reglan, stopped due to side effects

Benefits:   I can eat and drink more normally without as much acid reflux and vomitting. My condition results in slow digestion and intollerance of some foods. With prevacid, I eat small amounts and avoid irritants. I have had refluz episodes in my sleep. With religious use of prevacid, this rarely occurs. I can eat a larger variety of foods. It has made a positive difference in my quality of life.
Side effects:   I have not experienced negative physical side effects that I am aware of. This drug does not aid with digestion of food. I still have nausea and vomitting but, not because the drug doesn't work. My doctor explained my other symptoms result from food in stomach several hours after eating.
Comments:   I have tried every prescription medication for acid in stomach and had gall bladder removed. I have modified my diet and avoid irritating foods and drinks. With prevacid twice daily (normal dosage is once daily) I can eat and drink with less nausea. Without it, my diet would have to be clear liquids and pulverized solids. It has made a tremendous positive difference. I do not want to stop taking it unless something better is approved. It is not a treatment for the paresis. Reglan is the only FDA approved prescription drug for my condition that I am aware of. I cannot use it without horrible side effects.

Prevacid review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   reflux
Dosage & duration:   unknown (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of ongoing since 2004
Other conditions:   underactive thyroid
Other drugs taken:   Synthroid

Benefits:   Completely eliminated my heartburn and reflux, which were a daily occurence and were not treated effectively with OTC medications like Pepcid.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Taking the drug on a daily basis got rid of my heartburn. I recently had a scope of my upper GI and there were no problems. I think Prevacid keeps me from having any damage to my esophagus.

Prevacid review by 30 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30 mg taken every day for the period of one year

Benefits:   Most of the adverse acid reflex symptoms went away after several months of taking the drug. After a full course of treatment, I would only get hearburn and hunge pains if I would abuse the acid triggering foods.
Side effects:   No side effects.
Comments:   Take a pill every morning at least 30 mins before eating.

Prevacid review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   GERD
Dosage & duration:   30 mg. taken once daily for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   Asthma, MS, Depression/Anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Albuterol, Lexapro, Topamax, Rebif, Axert

Benefits:   I began taking this drug one year ago, and within a few days I was heartburn free. I take it once daily before breakfast.
Side effects:   I had no side effects to this drug.
Comments:   Be sure to remember to take every day before eating your first meal in order for it to work effectively!

Prevacid review by 76 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acid reflex
Dosage & duration:   15mg acid reducer taken morning and night..2 a day for the period of 3 days
Other drugs taken:   Lovasa mg/Levothyroxine

Benefits:   supposed to stop acid reflex, which it did for 2 days
Side effects:   congestion and pressure within 2 hours after taking the morning dose on the 3rd day.
Comments:   I will be taking Omeprazole, as I have been doing for years.. took Prilosec before the generic was available. Prevacid contains only 15 mg of acid reducer whereas the other two contain 20 mg. Yet you are charging as much as the others, and giving the customer 25% less.

Condition / reason:   Gerd/acid reflux
Dosage & duration:   30mg, 1 pill 1x a day taken every day for the period of Still taking it and started approx. 5 yr
Other conditions:   nothing

Benefits:   I had tried EVERY over the counter product for acid reflux and none of them worked. I also have tried other prescriptions for acid reflux and none have worked for me as well as Prevacid has.
Side effects:   I have found that if I take it too early prior to going to bed, it's less effective. Also, there have been a few times (very few) where it hasn't worked and I have gotten acid reflux (ash taste in mouth, vomiting, pain in throat and chest)> Also, for whatever reason, there also have been times I have had to take 2 pills versus the usual 1 pill.
Comments:   One pill once a day. The ingredients are supposed to limit or decrease acid reflux.

Prevacid review by 67 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Excess stomach acid.
Dosage & duration:   15mg per day taken once per day in the morning before food. for the period of 2 months
Other conditions:   Crohn's disease in remission.

Benefits:   Reduced acid production to normal levels.
Side effects:   At prescribed level of 30 mg/day I suffered fatigue and bacterial overgrowth in the stomach. At half this dose I was fine. But, needed dosage levels are different for different people.
Comments:   The secret of taking proton pump inhibitors and H2 receptor inhibitors lies in finding the right dosage and the right time of day to take it. Zoton Fast Tabs are tablets which dissolve on the tongue and can be broken to alter the dosage. I found that half my prescribed dosage of 30 mgs/day was enough for me and so break the tablet in two.

Prevacid review by 82 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   Indigestion
Dosage & duration:   one per day (dosage frequency: two days) for the period of Once for two days
Other conditions:   Nothing just indigestion through the night
Other drugs taken:   gaviscon

Benefits:   This was recommended to me instead of Gaviscon. Supposedly it was a better solution for my indigestion. Instead it was a disaster.
Side effects:   Terrible Terrible. I already suffer from constipation, but I took one of these tablets, as prescribed, for two consecutive days. After two days I knew they were a no-no for me. My innards came to a complete STOP. I shall throw the remainder of the tablets away. Four days on my innards are still at a standstill.
Comments:   Take one per day. I have stopped taking them. Don't forget I already take Dulcolax for my constipation, had I known these recommended tablets had a side effect of constipation I would have refused them. It is back to the Gaviscon for me, it is gentle, pleasant to take and liquid. Shell-like Capsules and me do not get along.

Prevacid review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   servere stomach pains and reaccuring gastritis.
Dosage & duration:   15mg taken every morning before food for the period of taken everyday two weeks at a time.
Other conditions:   depression and anxiety.
Other drugs taken:   Mirtazapine, paracetamol.

Benefits:   stomach pains lesson over time it would take around 4/5 days to start working. was told by the doctor not to use the medication for years but for one to two months at a time.
Side effects:   starting up effects dizziness,nausea, but would subside when medication started getting into my system. Would also feel tired while taking it and would sometimes make you feel unwell but I only found this on the 30mg.
Comments:   After stopping though stomach pain returns within 3 weeks.