Prempro (Conjugated Estrogens / Medroxyprogesterone) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Prempro reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 20 ratings/reviews, Prempro has an overall score of 7.60. The effectiveness score is 8.30 and the side effect score is 7.50. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Prempro review by 46 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   menopausal symptoms
Dosage & duration:   0.625/5 mg later increased to 10 mg taken daily for the period of 18 months

Benefits:   Reduction of hot flashes and night sweats.
Side effects:   Constant heavy bleeding that was not controlled on lower dose of progestins. When the progestins were increased, the bleeding tapered off but insomnia became a major issue. Some increased fluid retention in the hands and feet. Breast tenderness.
Comments:   Patient began to experience menopausal symptoms in early 40s. Prempro was prescribed by physician to treat hot flashes, sleep disturbances, and signs of early vaginal atrophy. When heavy vaginal bleeding continued to be problematic, hgher doses of progestins were tried. The result was increasing severity of the sleep disturbances although the vaginal bleeding subsided. After the patient developed FMS, Prempro was discontinued by another physician and the patient placed on bioidentical hormones. Breast tenderness subsided and sleep patterns improved. Patient later developed bladder cancer, although no familial or behavioral risk factors were present.

Prempro review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Menopausal symptoms, especially night sweats
Dosage & duration:   0.3 mg taken daily for the period of 1 month
Other conditions:   cramping, bloating, tiredness

Benefits:   Night sweats greatly reduced within a week, from 3-5 strong episodes a night (and associated sleep disturbance) to 0-1 a night (mostly in the early a.m.) and less severe and shorter duration.
Side effects:   Increase in bloating, increased feeling of needing to urinate (every hour or so, but often very little urine production) and quite frequent discomfort, mostly at the end of urination. Tiredness persists, which is odd as I have been sleeping quite a lot better.
Comments:   My ob-gyn recommended I try this for 3 months, but if the negative effects still persist by the end of the current month I will probably stop taking it.

Prempro review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   menopause
Dosage & duration:   3 months (dosage frequency: once) for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   hot flashes

Benefits:   hot flashes were less frequent. Libido was improved. Uninterrupted sleep was more common. Emotional balance was obtained
Side effects:   I put on a lot of weight right away and frequently had tourinate and itching in the genital area and high blood pressure was noted
Comments:   Upon visiting my doctor for my annual ob/gyn she recommended hormone replacement therapy to begin immediately.

Prempro review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   MENOPAUSE
Dosage & duration:   5MG taken 1 x day for the period of 3 MONTHS STILL USING
Other conditions:   MENOPAUSE, NIGHTS SWEATS HOT FLASHES
Other drugs taken:   NO

Benefits:   I AM GOING THROUGH MENOPAUSE, UP EVERY 20 MIN. HOT FASHES/COLD FASHES, NO SLEEP AT ALL. MOODY. ( MAY BE FROM LACK OF SLEEP). ALL DAY WORKING ONE MIN HOT NEXT MINUTE COLD. I STARTED THE PREMPRO IT TOOK ABOUT 2-3 WEEKS BUT NOW I SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT NO HOT FLASH, NO COLDNESS AND NOT NIGHT/DAY SWEATING. MY MOOD HAS IMPORVED. I DID GO OFF IT FOR 3 MONTHS AND ALL THE SYSTEMS CAME BACK. I WENT ON IT AND I WILL NOT GO OFF IT AGAIN. IT REALLY DID MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR ME.
Side effects:   NO SIDE EFFECTS
Comments:   1 PILL EVERY DAY.

Prempro review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   menopause problems
Dosage & duration:   0.3 mg/1.5 mg taken every day for the period of one month

Benefits:   this is an HRT product that was given in order to alleviate hot flashes and night sweats. The first two days there was no any effect, but after three days the hot flashes started to fade out and then eventually gone. At the same the problem with night sweats also was alleviated.
Side effects:   long-term bleeding
Comments:   One tablet was used every evening with meals. After three days hot flashes were gone. On the 10th day vaginal bleeding started, which did not stop for 2 weeks until OC were used.

Prempro review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hot flashes, depression
Dosage & duration:   .625 mg taken daily for the period of 10 months
Other conditions:   hypertension
Other drugs taken:   Diovan HCT

Benefits:   Within two weeks I found the hot flashes had subsided. After 4 weeks I no longer had night sweats. It took 3 or 4 months for my depression to get better. The release from depression was tremendous and such a relief.
Side effects:   I could not notice any side effects. I did not even gain weight.
Comments:   I take these religiously every day. The prescription was written by my primary care provider (a female) and even thought much younger than me, she understood immediately my primary concern was the depression; even though the hot flashes and night sweats were uncomfortable.

Prempro review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pre-menepause
Dosage & duration:   lowest dosage (dosage frequency: 1x day) for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   high blood pressure, thyroid problems
Other drugs taken:   lotensin hcl, synthroid

Benefits:   Blood pressure medicine lowered pressure and controled very well. starting bp was 140/100 to now at 115/65 or close to that. Thyroid medicine used after partial thyroidectomy due to benign cyst. Can't tell whether working on not. This is mostly based on acceptable blood levels.
Side effects:   Blood pressure medicine has a mild diaretic which causes frequent urination. Also some drowiness noticed so I take this at night before bed. Thyoid medicine really does not have any side affects for me. Tolerated well.
Comments:   I take low dose of Prempro each day in the morning. No problems and tolerated well. At first had some breakthrough bleeding but that stopped after a couple of months. Positives outweighed. Mood improved, less vaginal dryness, skin cleared as well.

Prempro review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hot flashes
Dosage & duration:   1 per day (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   I had severe hot flashes all day and night. The night episodes kept me awake most of the night with alternating hot, sweaty flashes, followed by teeth-rattling chills. Prempro eliminated the vast majority of episodes so i could sleep
Side effects:   There were no side effects that I was aware of
Comments:   I took 1 pink pill each day, in the morning after breakfast.

Prempro review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Crashing Fatigue, Hot Flashes, Mood Swings
Dosage & duration:   0.625mg estrogen/ 2.5 mg progesterone taken once a day for the period of 1 Month
Other conditions:   Depression, Anxiety, Allergies
Other drugs taken:   Zoloft, Buspar, Claritin

Benefits:   On day two of taking prempro at 5pm, I felt the extreme crashing fatigue and weakness go away! I felt a calmness in my nerves and I no longer had hot flashes, my skin was actually cold to the touch. The underarm body odor that had occured out of nowhere, so bad I had to wear my husbands deoderant, that also went away immediatly. Energy level increased and the all over illness I felt went away. Thank God!
Side effects:   So far no side effects at all, none.
Comments:   I take 1 pill at about 6 pm in the evening.

Prempro review by 56 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1.5 mg taken once daily for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   reduced severity of hot flashes, decreased vaginal dryness
Side effects:   increase in migraines
Comments:   Daily use of drug was generally effective in reducing severity of hot flashes, but at 1.5 mg I still had them. However, I didn't want to increase the possibility of more severe side effects, so I was willing to put up with some discomfort. I am concerned about continuing to take it for years.

Prempro review by 57 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   severe hot flashes and night sweats
Dosage & duration:   0.3 mg-1.5 mg tablet taken one pill a day for the period of 33days

Benefits:   I had no treatment benefits. Did not stop the sweating, but I started bleeding vaginally quite heavy. I hadn't had a period in 6 years. Then this happened. I also had some mild cramping like you get when your period is going to start. Bright red blood, some clotting as well. Went off of of prempro after 33 days. I am still bleeding but I have been told that this will stop now that I have stopped prempro........also I suggest you look online and get informed about the severe side effects........my doctor in the end stated that she would never take them........would have been nice if she told me this before I did and when she prescribed them for me.
Side effects:   all is said above
Comments:   treated for heavy hot flashes and night sweats

Prempro review by 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   menopause
Dosage & duration:   0.625mg/2.5mg taken once tablet a day for the period of 10 years
Other drugs taken:   vitamins

Benefits:   Elimination of night sweats, insomnia, irritability, stabilization of skin tone, no vaginal dryness
Side effects:   none
Comments:   i started HRT when I was 50 years old. I noticed a significant increase in irritability...I felt like I was in PMS all the time. This affected my marriage. I went to my family physician knowing that this was probably due to onset of menopause. It took about a month for the symptoms to abate. I stayed on Prompro for ten years. I stopped taking Prempro one month ago, mainly due to evidence of direct correlations between HRT use and increasing probability of breast cancer occurence. I am now concerned over decreasing health of my skin because I am no longer on HRT.

Prempro review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Menopause
Dosage & duration:   N/A (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 2 Years
Other conditions:   Hot flashes

Benefits:   Got rid of hot flashes but made other things much worse.
Side effects:   Depression, osteoporosis, vaginal dryness, and fatigue.
Comments:   Daily pill. However, estrogen derived from mares is not bio-identical to humans and causes breast cancer. Also, progestin is only a synthetic version of progesterone, and we need progesterone for many, many things.

Prempro review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hot flashes, headaches, fatigue, dry vagina
Dosage & duration:   0.625 mg/ 2.5 mg taken once a day for the period of So far for 5 days

Benefits:   This is a miracle drug. By day 3, the hot flashes stopped. I was able to sleep through the night again. The 2 month long headache disappeared. I have more energy and feel like my old self again. My brain function is much improved. No more dizziness, memory loss and the depression is gone. Also I have an increased libido and vaginal moisture returned.
Side effects:   Slight swelling of my breasts.
Comments:   I went to my doctor for severe headaches, hot flashes and sleep disturbance as well as fatigue. He took a FSH bloodtest and it revealed I was in menopause. He prescribed Prempro and everything was right again.

Prempro review by 61 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Unusual periods
Dosage & duration:   0.3mg/1.5 mg taken at first daily, then less and less. for the period of Age 56 to now (61)
Other conditions:   None - no hot flashes.
Other drugs taken:   Vitamins, synthroid thyroid hormone

Benefits:   I started to take Prempro, the lowest dose, at age 56, because I would have freak periods - every six months. I never really went through menopause. No hot flashes, no night sweats. But just a period out of the blue. My doctor put me on 1 pill/day, .3, 1.5, and then I started to decrease the dose slowly to 1/2 pill per day, then 1/3 pill/day, then 1/4 pill/day. Now I take one pill/week. I find that the Prempro keeps my skin smooth and prevents incontinence, which started to happen when I tried to quit the drug entirely. I still take it, but I do have water retention, even with this small dose.
Side effects:   Water retention, breast enlargement (not a bad thing).
Comments:   See benefits.

Prempro review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   migraines
Dosage & duration:   0.45/1.5 mg taken 1/day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   bulging disk in upper back
Other drugs taken:   Robaxin, Tylenol #3

Benefits:   Migraine problem: I now only have rare occurance of migraines, less than once a year. Before Prepro treatment I had a migraines almost continuously, and took Frova at least twice a week. Potential benefits is prevention or delay of osteoporosis, since my mother had severe osteoporsis.
Side effects:   Increased risks for breast cancer and conditions caused by clots like strokes.
Comments:   I take the prescribed dosage every day, get annual breast exams, pap and BMD tests. I try to stay physically active and eat healthy foods.

Prempro review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hot flashes
Dosage & duration:   0625/2.5mg tablet taken once a day for the period of over a year

Benefits:   I was prescribed Prempro by my OB/GYN for hot flashes. I took one pill a day for over a year. I wento off the Prempro for 3 months and the hot flashes came back, seemed worse than before. I am now back on and have taken 4 days, hot flashes are beginning to get better and hopefully will completely disappear soon!
Side effects:   none
Comments:   Prempro is a wonder pill for hot flashes and I will never stop taking it again!

Prempro review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   menopause
Dosage & duration:   .625mg taken 1 pill every morning for the period of still taking it
Other conditions:   gained a few pounds
Other drugs taken:   nuerontin and requip

Benefits:   daily hot flashes and night sweats are much less severe if any at all. sleep is less distrubed and mood swings are much less. i no longer feel enraged when i wake in the morning. Depression is gone and i feel less tired (probably because i get more sleep).
Side effects:   none
Comments:   prempro has saved my life

Prempro review by 62 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   menopause
Dosage & duration:   .0425 (dosage frequency: monthly) for the period of still on

Benefits:   reduce menopause related issues and improve quality of life. Hot flashes ceased, energy level increased, overall mood and memory retention were impacted in a positive way.
Side effects:   mild bloating, breast tenderness which did subside. Basically I did not have any major side effects and the mild ones decreased with usage.
Comments:   Prescription is to take one tablet by mouth once a day, preferably at the same time of day. Continue use until either want to no longer take or at advice of doctor. Continually discuss with physician.

Prempro review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Menopause
Dosage & duration:   .625mg-2.5mg estrogen/progesterone taken once daily for the period of 3 months, still on it
Other drugs taken:   levothryoxine 88 mc

Benefits:   Diminished hot flushes, mood swings, anxiety, skin plumped out and wrinkles decreased, depression lessened, concentration and memory and focus improved.
Side effects:   Vaginal bleeding
Comments:   After starting at.325mg-1.5 dose and now up to .625mg-2.5mg estrogen/progesterone I began to have vaginal bleeding, cramping, backache, headache, depression and moodiness, and a general ill feeling. Already have had a D & C in 2010 to rule out uterine cancer and seeing my physician in the next couple of days to have a vaginal ultrasound. Hopeful that changing the dose will help it to subside. Felt better for a while on the Prempro, and now dont feel that great on it.