Premarin (Conjugated Estrogens) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Premarin (Conjugated Estrogens) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 22 ratings/reviews, Premarin has an overall score of 7.50. The effectiveness score is 8.27 and the side effect score is 7.82. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Condition / reason:   menopause
Dosage & duration:   not sure (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   there were no treatment benifits that I could desern because I quit taking the drug because of the severe side effects
Side effects:   I had extreme weight gain, fluctuating emotions. I felt I was going insane so I stopped taking the drug.
Comments:   I was starting menopause and was having hot flashes and disturbed sleep, and migrane headaches. the doctor prescribed premerin and I only took it for 2 months. I saw a natural medicine doctor and started on a natural hormone therapy that worked very well. My headaches stopped and My sleep pattern returned to normal and I lost the weight I gained while on the premerin.

Condition / reason:   menopause
Dosage & duration:   not sure (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of one month

Benefits:   there were no benefits. This drug had more bad side effects than good ones. I will never try this again. there were no benefits. This drug had more bad side effects than good ones. I will never try this again.
Side effects:   extreme weight gain and emotional distress.
Comments:   not sure. there were no benefits. This drug had more bad side effects than good ones. I will never try this again. there were no benefits.extreme weight gain and emotional distress.

Premarin review by 62 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hormone replacement therapy
Dosage & duration:   .625 mg taken once daily for the period of 10 years
Other conditions:   migraines
Other drugs taken:   zomig

Benefits:   I had a complete hysterectomy at age 52 and started HRT to avoid the immediate menapause which occurred right after surgery. Unfortunately the hospital staff put me on the estrogen patch which did not work and I was miserable the first couple of nights with severe hot flashes and poor sleep waking up often with soaked clothes and the sensation of itching everywhere during the day. Once my GYN doc changed me over to Premarin .625mg everything adverse disappeared and I enjoyed no menapausal hot flashes,mood swings, loss of sleep, vaginal dryness and my skin benefited as well, no lines or wrinkles and good elasticity.
Side effects:   may have made migraines better or worse..don't know for sure hyperpigmentation on neck
Comments:   one tablet per day .625mg-took for ten years-yearly mamograms with no problems

Premarin review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hot flashes / night sweats
Dosage & duration:   maximum dosage (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of approx. 24 months
Other conditions:   low thyroid
Other drugs taken:   Generic synthetic thyroid (Levoxyl?) I cannot now remember the specific name for it

Benefits:   The Premarin did reduce the frequency and severity of hot flashes and night sweats. From that perspective, the drug was somewhat effective. However, the side effects were devastating and worse than dealing with the menopausal symptoms. It took me two years to discern that the problems I encountered were attributable directly to the Premarin.
Side effects:   I developed strange lesions on my arms, which were sore and very embarrassing. I could not wear short-sleeved shirts, because of the mess my arms had become. Obviously, I showed them to the doctor; he simply shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't have a clue what might be causing the lesions. When I went off the Premarin, on my own volition, the lesions disappeared to a significant degree. When I added proteolytic enzymes and hydrochloric acid to my diet, the lesions disappeared completely. I am now able to use bioidentical hormone replacement therapy with complete success and no side effects whatsoever.
Comments:   The doctor put me on the maximum dosage because I was "young" for menopause. Did not test estrogen levels either before beginning treatment or after starting the HRT. I simply took one Premarin pill per day, every day.

Premarin review by 68 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hormone replacement
Dosage & duration:   .625 mg taken daily for the period of always
Other conditions:   hysterctomy
Other drugs taken:   calcium

Benefits:   After my hysterectomy, I was depressed, didn't want to have company, was suspicious of everyone and everything. I wasn't feeling like my former self at all. Once I began the hormone replacement therapy (Premarin), I began to feel much better immediately. The depression left and I felt younger and much more able to cope with daily life. I take Premarin (.625mg) daily.
Side effects:   some weight gain
Comments:   I have remained very stable and have a good outlook on life. Do not feel my age.

Premarin review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hysterectomy
Dosage & duration:   0.9mg taken each day for the period of 17 years
Other conditions:   nothing
Other drugs taken:   nothing

Benefits:   I did not have to go through the change of life so early in my life, never really felt any change, at the time it was the best way to remove all the endrometriosis that i had, and it never effected me much as in pain or my womenhood.
Side effects:   I had no side effects, other than a little soreness after the operation, nothing went wrong, and my sex life actually improved, mainly because there was no more pain down there.
Comments:   after the operation i relaxed for three weeks no heavy lifting, took premarin, still take premarin, so at the age of 47 still have not had the side effects of menopause, which is nice, they say there are risk at a later age and how long you've been on them, but am confident enough and quite healthy at this time.

Premarin review by 63 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hormone and for prevention of osteoporosis
Dosage & duration:   .625 (dosage frequency: 1x/day) for the period of 10years
Other drugs taken:   Zyrtec

Benefits:   I have increased energy while taking this medication. It has possibly prevented osteoporosis. My family is quite prone to this, and my bone density tests only show slight osteopenia.
Side effects:   There were no side effects, other than a slight tendency to gain weight. I have had no indication of any other problems.
Comments:   I have taken one premarin pill every evening.

Premarin review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   estrogen replacement therapy
Dosage & duration:   0.625 mg once a day taken every day for the period of 15 years

Benefits:   The drug has assisted over the years in providing body with appropriate estrogen to keep bones healthy. It has also assisted in elimating hot flashes and causing menapausal systems. Taking hormone replacement therapy assisted me over the years to feel healthy and strong. It replaced needed hormone to my body.
Side effects:   The medication has had few side affects. When first starting to use of when increasing the dosage I experienced pain in my breast. Estrogen replacement assists in lubricating the virgina. One can sometimes become nausated when takin this form of estrogen and is sometimes explosed to yeast infections, Medication has been linked to breast cancer.
Comments:   I began taking estrogen replacement after my hysterectomy. Due to having to have both ovaries and womb removed. I take estrogen once a day everyday and have been taking it since 93. I believe I have benifited greatly from this hormone replacemend

Premarin review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   memopause
Dosage & duration:   1.25mg taken daily for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   fibrocystic breast disease, hypoglycemia, hypothroidism
Other drugs taken:   throid replacement, Progestin

Benefits:   I believe that the Premearin allowed normal vaginal secretions and somewhat emotional stability. During the time I was using the Premarin I had decreased hot flashes/sweats that, I presumed was a result of the drug, although the hot flashes are much more infrequent now that I'm using the natural progesterone cream.
Side effects:   While using the Premarin pills for Hormonal Replacement Therapy I was also taking Progestin so am unsure as to which drug was causing my very painfully tender breasts with increased fibrocystic breast disease noted on my annual momograms. I suspect that these drugs were also contributing to the blood sugar issues and low throid.
Comments:   I chose to discontinue the HRT completely after I developed a painful mastitis in my lt breast, and 6months later a mamogram showed a suspicious spot that was removed and biopsied. It was benign. Since stopping the Premarin and switching to a natural progesterone cream that I use vaginally I no longer have painful fibrocystic breasts and the hypoglycemia and hypothyroid have been healed thru prayer.

Premarin review by 39 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   .625 mg taken 1/per day for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   hzt

Benefits:   benefits included stopping hot flashes,night sweats, hair loss, and it made my skin more supple and much less dry.
Side effects:   there were no bad side effects at all with this medication I have been thoroughly pleased with it, i did notice being a bit more thirsty but not really bad enough to speak of or lis as a side effect
Comments:   my treatment consisted of taking one pill per day

Premarin review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   vaginal dryness
Dosage & duration:   1 gram (dosage frequency: once daily for 14 days, then twice/week) for the period of six months

Benefits:   improved vaginal lubrication, decreased sensitivity, improved urinary continence, improved urethral tone,
Side effects:   some breakthrough bleeding/spotting at the once a day dosage after fourteen days, very intermittent, did not persist after dose reduced to twice weekly.
Comments:   Medicine was inserted vaginally once daily at bedtime for the first 2 weeks; patient abstained from sexual intercourse during that time so that male partner would not be exposed to the effects of estrogen.

Premarin review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   radical hysterectomy
Dosage & duration:   0.625 (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   epilypsy,nueropathy,panic attaks
Other drugs taken:   zanax,flexeral,dilatin,klonopin,vicodin

Benefits:   I have only been taking it 2 weeks but it so far eliminated my night sweats and hot flashes and in just 2 weeks I have noticed my skin looks and feels like I am 20 again my slight wrinkles on my face vanished almost overnight I look and feel younger. I am so impressed with my complexion.
Side effects:   None so far
Comments:   Used to treat surgical menapause and I plan on continue for as long as I can.

Premarin review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   partial hysterectomy
Dosage & duration:   .045 mg taken 1 time daily for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Had to have a partial hysterectomy due to endometreosis. After the surgery began experiencing hot flashes on a very frequent basis - approximately 1-2 times per hour. My gynecologist prescribed Premarin .030mg. Since then I have moved up to the .045 mg dosage which I take once a day. For the most part, this relieves my symptoms even though I wake up at night on occasion with a night sweat.
Side effects:   periodic headaches
Comments:   take once daily for relief of menopause symptoms

Premarin review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   post menopausal /hysterectomy
Dosage & duration:   .625 (dosage frequency: 1 daily) for the period of 10 years
Other conditions:   severe osteopenia,mood swings,hair loss,loss of skin elasticity,vaginal dryness

Benefits:   I took Premarin 1.25 after my total hysterectomy in 1992. I stopped taking it in 2003 when the study came out. I looked wonderful. My hair was great, my skin that of a much younger woman. Now, the elasticity is totally gone, I am losing hair and I feel my quality of life has gone downhill. I, also, developed severed osteopenia. I have started back on .625 and plan to take it for 10 more years. My mother in law has been on it for 35 years and looks and feels much younger than her 76 years. I have no risk factors, so I decided it is right for me
Side effects:   none
Comments:   1.25 for 10 years...had a 6 year break and have decided to go back on it at .625 for a few more years. Hopefully, I will regain some skin elasticity and slow down my thinning hair.

Premarin review by 62 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   surgical memopause
Dosage & duration:   .625 mg. taken 1x per day for the period of 25 yrs.

Benefits:   The use of premarin reduced hot flashes and kept my skin looking younger. My skin doesn't look good since discontinuation of prenarin.
Side effects:   I experienced weight gain and sun sensitivity while taking premarin.
Comments:   I took premarin once daily for over twenty five years following an emergency hysterectomy due to severe endometriosis. I stopped taking premarin because my doctor quit precsribing it.

Premarin review by 48 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   0.9 mg taken daily for the period of 4 years

Benefits:   I started taking Premarin after having a complete hysterectomy for ovarian cancer. f At first, it took about a week to start feeling any effects on the severe hot flashes that I was feeling after being put into instant menopause. But gradually the dug started working and now my hot flashes and mood swings are practically non-existent.
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   I started receiving Premarin 0.9 mg immediately after a complete hysterectomy. After it became effective, I was reduced to a dosage of 0.625 mg and it works just fine.

Premarin review by 46 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   HRT
Dosage & duration:   0.625 mg taken 1 x daily for the period of 10 years

Benefits:   Alleviation of post hysterectomy depression and other post menopause symptoms.
Side effects:   Some headaches at the beginning of the treatment. Some breast tenderness initially.
Comments:   Three months after my hysterectomy in 1998 I was hospitalized with severe depression. The depression went away shortly after starting the Premarin. My doctors have tried taking me off of it on several occasions, but each time we try, the depression comes back.

Premarin review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   symptoms of menopause
Dosage & duration:   1.25mg taken daily for the period of have been taking for 10 yrs
Other conditions:   occasional asthma developed at
Other drugs taken:   provera,

Benefits:   no further hot flushes and palpitations, no mild panic attacks ,much improved sleep pattern, skin tone improved, much more positve attitude and general wellbeing, lowered cholesterol, and loss of weight gained prior to HRT, and also feel that my joints and flexibility has been maintained as physically I really am in much better shape and stronger than non HRT taking friends, and I am not an exerciser but am very activeie. paint the house, walk the dog etc
Side effects:   Absolutely none, other than friends advising NOT to take HRT because they have read reports negative reports on long term use.
Comments:   Very simple, take premarin and provera daily. have tried at various times lower doses maybe come of HRT due to cost factors and mdo I really need it but always go back as symptoms return.

Premarin review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   post menapause symptoms
Dosage & duration:   1.25 mg twice a day taken 2 years for the period of cont. to take it
Other conditions:   less collegen in skin, weight gain
Other drugs taken:   progestrin

Benefits:   Premarin had a postiive effect on my moods, my skin was less dry and wrinkled and my weight gain distribution around my stomach decreased. In addition, my overall weight loss increased with proper diet and exercise. Prior to increased Premarin, this was not attainable.
Side effects:   I did not experience any side effects. I am aware of the ricks involved and cont. with freq. check ups.
Comments:   Take premarin twice a day with once a day Progresterin.

Premarin review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   aging
Dosage & duration:   .05mg taken once per week for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   There was a decrease in dryness and discomfort. I thought there also was a benefit to my mood and outlook. Additionally my skin was more supple and had better color. There was no pain associated as before.
Side effects:   I did not notice any adverse side effects. Perhaps just a little bloating the day after, but that problem quickly resolved itself by drinking more water.
Comments:   once per week applicaton

Premarin review by care giver of 76 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hrt hysterectomy
Dosage & duration:   0.625 (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 40 years

Benefits:   stopped hot flashes
Side effects:   breast lumps requiring surgery three times stroke cancer requiring surgery, three separate chemo therapies
Comments:   My grand mom was prescribed Premarin after her uterus was removed at age 34. She was a smoker with high blood pressure. Her doctor was aware of her smoking and blood pressure. At one point in her hrt therapy she was injecting Premarin per doctors orders. Now at age 76, grand mom continues to take Premarin because she was told by her doctor that it is the fountain of youth. She is very vain and does not care if this drug kills her as long as she looks young. She looks and acts older than her actual age. The risk do not out weigh the benefit. HRT should only be used to ease a woman into menopause. Grand mom still has hot flashes after 40 years of HRT. Had she not taken HRT she would be through menopause and never have suffered the stroke or cancers which took several years of her life away.

Premarin review by 65 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hysterectomy
Dosage & duration:   .0625 mg taken once per day for the period of 17 years
Other conditions:   hot flashes
Other drugs taken:   calcium

Benefits:   Better heart condition, stronger bones taken along with my calcium
Side effects:   None that I can see
Comments:   Once daily I am taken Premarin .0625mg and I am planning to try the new dosage of .045 mg. To me, it was a tremendous life changing event and I only have positive comments. The benefits far outweigh any side effects mentioned by some people.