Prednisone (Prednisone) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Prednisone reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 26 ratings/reviews, Prednisone has an overall score of 6.65. The effectiveness score is 8.69 and the side effect score is 6.69. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Prednisone review by 41 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Pneumonia
Dosage & duration:   20mg oral tab taken 1 tablet po one time daily for the period of 7 day dose
Other conditions:   asthma
Other drugs taken:   TRIMETHOPRIM-SULFAMETHOXAZOLE 160 MG-800 MG TAB

Benefits:   Opened airways to help breath
Side effects:   none. I did have concerns about taking an oral steroid,but was reassured that the short duration would not cause adverse side effects.
Comments:   After a first round of antibiotics and use of arbuterol with a nebulizer with minimal effectiveness, my doctor put me on an oral steroid to open up my airways. Once I started the seroid, I felt 100% better.

Prednisone review by 49 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   pneumonia
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken 3x a day for 3 days for the period of 3 days
Other drugs taken:   albuterol inhaler, moxifloxicin

Benefits:   decreased chest inflammation
Side effects:   temporary jitters, insomnia, mild nausea
Comments:   I became congested in the chest and started with over the counter Mucinex. I got worse in a few days and a fever started. I went to the emergency room and they used a large inhaler device which quickly cleared much of the congestion. After that, I took the antibiotic along with the prednisone, the portable inhaler and 1 months bed rest. I returned to work and stopped drinking coffee.

Prednisone review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pneumonia with associated cough
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once per day for the period of 5 days

Benefits:   The drug really did help the inflammation of the lungs and cut down on the cough.
Side effects:   Stomach upset,hunger, which lead to overeating, severe acne breakout of the face.
Comments:   I had a pretty bad case of pneumonia, which had culminated in a horrible hacking and convulsive cough that I could not get to go away. I was given Ceftin (I believe, can't remember the dose). I was also prescribed an inhaler and the prednisone. I had never taken a steroid of any kind before. The first couple of days were okay, though I noticed I felt constantly hungry or my stomach hurt slightly, it was actually hard to tell which it was. So, I was eating a lot of crackers and thinks that I thought would help. After the five days my skin began to break out all along the jaw line and forehead, which was not usually a problem for me. The breakout was so bad, I went to see a dermatologist who put me on a month of tetracycline, which cleared up the skin. Overall, the prednisone made me feel lousy! I hope I never ever need it for anything again.

Prednisone review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   rheumatoid arthritis
Dosage & duration:   5 mg taken once per day for the period of 6 months
Other drugs taken:   Humira, methotrexate, lorazapame

Benefits:   reduced the fatigue, swelling and pain associated with RA
Side effects:   mild tendency to gain weight, however appetite which had been flagging was regained
Comments:   Take the medication in larger doses at the very beginning, and then taper off gradually. Very important to taper, no sudden stops or starts to this medication, adverse effects if you do.

Condition / reason:   asthma
Dosage & duration:   30 mg taper taken 1 x per day for the period of 6 days

Benefits:   The treatment benefits of taking predisone for asthama were that it reduced the inflammation and eased breathing. Although steroids are being scrutinized in the media at this time, they do have a place in the treatment of life threatening episodes of asthma and other diseases that casue severe inflammation. I do not care to be on prednisone for any period of time, however, breathing is necessary to life and the prednisone offers a quick relief of the symptoms.
Side effects:   While taking the prednisone I had an increase in blood pressure. I also was very perspired while the dose was higher and felt extremely edgy and agitated.
Comments:   The prednisone was prescribed for a rebound effect after an anaphylactic reaction. While at the ER I was given solumedrol and benadryl. Since I have asthma, a prednisone taper was prescribed in the event that a rebound effect occured, which it did. I began the taper immediately upon the worsening of symptoms. It took about 3 hours for the prednisone to begin working. During that time, there was a back and forth response from my body as it fought the prednisone for control. During this event, I learned that I will always use my Epipen in the future as adrenalin is not always part of the protocol at the ER. The adrenalin stops the initial reaction and may prevent the need for the prednisone later.

Prednisone review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   severe asthma
Dosage & duration:   80 mg taken daily for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   fluid in lungs

Benefits:   Before treatment I could not breathe sufficiently to move about. After taking the medication for approximately three days the symptons began to subside and I was albe to function again. All told it took approximately one week before I could return to normal activities.
Side effects:   Increased appetite, blurred vision and mental confusion. I would eat a 1/2 gallon of ice cream each night while on this medicine.
Comments:   I was prescribed four tablets per day for the first week, then I needed to wean down to three tablets for three days, two tablets for three days and then one tablet for three days.

Prednisone review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Nasal Polyps
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken everyday in monitored in different doses for the period of 6 days
Other conditions:   Chronic allergies, blocked sinus passages

Benefits:   To reduce the inflammation of the nasal polyp. By doing so, this should allow me better breathing. I was experiencing sleeplessness, due to inability to breathe well and also to have to sleep in a propped up position. Following the steroid treatment, I was able to sleep well again without all the snoring.
Side effects:   Didn't experience any, except for first night a little restless, but that was it.
Comments:   Following the steroids, I am going to have endoscopic sinus surgery to treat the blockages in my sinus passages.

Prednisone review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hives
Dosage & duration:   2 tablets taken one time daily for the period of 5 days

Benefits:   This medication completely erased symptoms of the hives. The first time that I took the medication the hives were already 2 days old, therefore, it took about 2 days for them to clear up. Now, if I ever feel the itch or see the blotchiness I can take one dose of this medicine and the hives do not progress and they are clear within one day.
Side effects:   There were no side effects noticed with this medication.
Comments:   Take 2 tablets once per day.

Condition / reason:   Severe recurrent sinus infections
Dosage & duration:   9 mg a day for several days taken several times over several years for the period of Anywhere from 7 to 15 days
Other conditions:   Sinus infection!
Other drugs taken:   An antibiotic, not necessarily the same one each time

Benefits:   I was given a short course of prednisone to take, along with whatever antibiotic I was currently on, whenever the antibiotic alone was not clearing up the sinus infection. The prednisone worked like a charm, but at a cost.
Side effects:   Sleeplessness! Taking the prednisone was like drinking ten cups of coffee every night or like being on speed. I had unnatural amounts of energy -- nervous energy -- and wore myself out during the time I was taking the prednisone. It always helped to clear up the infection, but then I had to recover from the prednisone. This is a scary drug.
Comments:   In addition to whatever antibiotic I was currently on, I was to take 9 mg. of prednisone -- the first few times, it was 3 mg with each meal, but that was really too much, so later we did the three tabs all at once in the morning -- a day for several days, sometimes as few as 7, sometimes as many as 15. Then, I had to taper off the amount I took for several days, in 3 mg increments for a few days each new dose. Finally, I would be off it. This time.

Condition / reason:   polymyalgia
Dosage & duration:   !5 mg a day to start taken once a day for the period of 7 months ( still ongoing) 10mg a day now
Other drugs taken:   ibprophen occasionally

Benefits:   I went from being in extreme pain and sometimes almost immobile to being able to go back to work at a physical job
Side effects:   So far all I,ve had is a little weight gain plus occasionally I have to take ib prophen in the evening to get rid of leg pain
Comments:   i sarted off with taking 3 - 5mg pills a day, over some moths I was down to 1 - 5mg pill a day. I went off the medication a few days and was ok until the third day. I went bace to taking 3 pills a day for a week, am now down to 2 a day and will go down to one a day next week. I then will bee taking 1 pill every two days. The trick is to take as little as possible while not taking too little and having to start over again

Prednisone review by 27 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   crohns
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once daily for the period of 8 years
Other conditions:   congestive heart failure
Other drugs taken:   coreg and altace

Benefits:   reduced bowel inflammation over a long period of time. when flare ups were severe, patient had to increase dose to 40mg daily and the dosage was tappered back to original dosage of 10mg.
Side effects:   there was a loss in bone density. however, after introducing actonel the patient's bone density did improve. also, the patient did report problems with concentration and did report mood swings.
Comments:   the treatment was used because the condition was not improving with the use of other medications. therefore, after introducing prednisone the patient's condition improved significantly. when the patient stopped taking the medications it resulted in the resurgence of a flare up.

Prednisone review by 36 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   severe hives angiodema
Dosage & duration:   15mg but reduced to 5mg taken when needed for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   vitiligo

Benefits:   When i was having a severe reaction normal antihistamines would not stop it so i needed to use panfacort which stopped problem within 30 minutes and the residual effects lasted on a a day or two.
Side effects:   felt ill at times , lightheaded.
Comments:   Took this when i had idiopathic urticaria and angiodema. At first it wsa prescribed inthe short term to try to "Dampen" my immune system but it didnt help. I kept using then sporadically to help when a severe reaction was coming on or i needed to be problem free for the day. Helped at the time but was not a long term solution

Prednisone review by 65 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   inflammation of throat during bacteria bronchitis
Dosage & duration:   tapered from 20 mg to 5 mg over 2 weeks taken daily 1 x for the period of 2 months at the 3-5 mg. per day
Other conditions:   history of inflammation/allergy to mold from mold poisoning 10 years ago (1998)

Benefits:   the reduction in inflammation was so great that there was an overall systemic improvement of edema resulting from a deeply toxic experience of mold exposure that disrupted my entire system and made daily life vis a vis food very distresssing and included a taxed liver...the effects of the inflammation reduction on a daily basis for 2 months calmed my system and provided relief so that deeper healing could occur.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   just a simple use of 3 mg. prednisone in 1 mg. dose 3 times a day

Prednisone review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Polymorphous Light Eruption (PMLE)
Dosage & duration:   80 mg decreasing slowly to 0 taken yearly before vacation for the period of 4 days before and 4 days during vacation

Benefits:   The use of Prednisone before and during my vacation prevented the occurrence of the rash that I used to get due to sun exposure. One year it did not totally prevent the rash and so the following year we increased the dosage.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I get Polymorphous Light Eruption (PMLE) each year when I go to Cancun on vacation in March. It is a very painful, itchy rash (appears like a heat rash) which I get reagardless of sunblock usage. This is apparently a fairly common condition in women of fair complexion (like me) who go to very sunny areas after a long period of no sun exposure. It began happening when I was in my 20's and it took several years (and the Internet as well as a dermatologist) to diagnose what was happening. Since then, the use of Predisone (beginning 4 days before my vacation and slowly decreasing the dosage over a period of 8 days) has prevented the rash and mad my vacations a success!

Prednisone review by 18 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Ulcerative Colitis
Dosage & duration:   60 MG/day; 10 MG tablets taken 3 tablets twice a day for the period of for about 3 months
Other drugs taken:   Sulfasalazine

Benefits:   I never really had any complications with my disease. It seemed to help treat the ulcers in my colon. It also let me be able to eat normal foods because when a person has Ulcerative Colitis they have to monitor what they eat and usually have to eat bland foods. It really helped me a lot but the side effects took away from the overall rating. The side effects most likely worsened because I was on the drug for a long period of time.
Side effects:   I had dry eyes, trouble gaining weight, and loss of energy.
Comments:   My doctor had me start out by taking 6 tablets a day, three at breakfast and three at dinner. After 2 and a half months he had me start taking 4 tablets a day and 1/2 a pill less every week, until i was down to 1/2 a pill a day for a week. After that I stopped taking the pills.

Prednisone review by 24 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Asthma
Dosage & duration:   40mg for 5days then 20mg for 6days taken same dose twice, 4day break in between for the period of 22days in total
Other conditions:   Head cold
Other drugs taken:   Salbutamol Inhaler

Benefits:   It decreased my wheeze after about 5days. The wheeze became intermittent from then but did not go away and after 2days of not taking prednisone the symptoms returned, not as bad as they originally were though. Am now on so had another course of prednisone.
Side effects:   Leg Pain! The first day,i couldnt drive home they were so sore. Insomnia, I am writting this at 5am because im stil not asleep. Very exhaused on the high dose and got the 'buzz', on the lower dose where i bacame very wired and had trouble concentrating. When i first wake up my face, esp eyes, are very puffy but it seems to go down with in an hour. Dry mouth, metallic taste in my mouth. Increased hunger and thirst. Hot flushes. Few irrational mood swings but nothing to serious. Am taking the second course at the moment and the side effects dont seem to be as bad besides the insomnia but am only on day 2 of the course and am home from work with a cold i picked up at the end of the 1st course that i cant seem to get rid of so im guessing i would have the same side effects if i was doing my normal daily work.
Comments:   Was put on Prednisone for asthma which i have not suffered from since i was a child. Had 6weeks of a cough which i though was a developing chest infection that i was fighting off as never turned into anything and i felt fine. My wheeze got really bad so went to gp who put me straight on prednisone. After 5days the wheezing decreased and i felt slightly better. 2days after stopping my course i was getting wheezy again and starting coughing more. Went back to the gp and he put me on another course of prednisone which i am taking at the moment along with a salbutamol inhaler.

Prednisone review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Sudden Sensorineural hearing loss
Dosage & duration:   60mg total daily dose taken 30mg bid for 9 days and then taper down for the period of 14 days
Other drugs taken:   Zyrtec and Birth Control

Benefits:   I regained my hearing after a virus caused sudden sensorineural hearing loss in my left ear by taking Prednisone.
Side effects:   Night waking, restlessness, increased speech, mild mania, GI abnormalities, stomach upset, nausea.
Comments:   I regained my hearing after a virus caused sudden sensorineural hearing loss in my left ear by taking Prednisone.

Prednisone review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   rheumatoid arthritis
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once daily for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   asthma
Other drugs taken:   methotrexate

Benefits:   Stopped inflammation. Reduced need for pain killers such as tylenol and advil.
Side effects:   Weight gain, osteoporosis, moon face; noticed muscle weakness. Could not simply stop; had to taper off or risk side adenson disease. Seemed more sensitive to fatigue.
Comments:   Taken daily orally once a day. Eventually tapered off to 5 mg. per day, then 5 every other day, then 5 once a week.

Prednisone review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   allergic reaction on face to a cosmetic
Dosage & duration:   6400 mg. tapered over 18 days taken 3 x daily for the period of 14 days

Benefits:   Facial swelling reduced dramatically over 3 days, only to return (less so) as a side effect. I could have just taken Benadryl, and although it would have taken longer to recover from the allergic reaction (possibly another week), I would have been normal without side effects, and without withdrawal effects. The drug took a modest problem and created a far worse one. I told the physician I reacted strongly to drugs. Since then I've learned that some physicians are quite blasť about the side effects of prednisone -- apparently that old adage about "first do no wrong" is no longer important.
Side effects:   constant : pulse pounding throughout body, flushed face, odd-looking eyes (dilated), high blood pressure ( systolic range 145-194; ), fatigue, severe insomnia, nervousness, inability to concentrate, mild vertigo (spill, drop, lurch, and fall). Withdrawal symptoms (fatigue, tinnitus, leg aches) continue after 4 weeks, though improving gradually. increasing over time : panic attacks, anxiety
Comments:   Oral, 10 mg. tablets, 3 days at 60mg, gradual tapering over 18 days

Prednisone review by 73 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)
Dosage & duration:   Initially, 10 mg. increased to 15 mg. taken once a day for the period of Still taking it - 1.5 months
Other conditions:   diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   celebrex, Lantus insulin, nexium, glucotrol XL, Altace, Apidra, Diovan

Benefits:   A slight reduction in pain. I am diabetic and was warned that it would raise my blood sugars, but it significantly reduced the night sugars.
Side effects:   Extreme shortness of breath (exhausted just walking from bedroom into bathroom and adding an inhaler did not significantly improve the condition, dizziness, chest pressure, water retention, confusion. The night sugars dipped dangerously low so I discontinued my night injection of Lantus. I have lost my independence with the use of this drug and become homebound.
Comments:   After the diagnosis of PMR, I was instructed to take 10 mg. in the morning. Although the pain diminished, it was still high so dosage was increased to 15 mg. I repeatedly advise the rheumatolist of the breathing problems to no avail. The family doctor suggested dropping the dosage to 7 1/2 mg. per day, but the pain became extreme again so I went back to the initial dose of 10 m.g. The rheumatolist has suggested that I will be on prednisone for a year.

Prednisone review by 80 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   giant cell arteritis
Dosage & duration:   from 60 mg down to 5 mg taken daily for the period of 18 months
Other conditions:   osteoporosis

Benefits:   Took care of the GCA -as long as I am taking it at least.
Side effects:   most significant: osteoporosis and skin thinning. muscle wasting. weight loss. possibly arterial side effects and TIREDNESS!
Comments:   The gca with eye involvement responded to the 60 mg prednisone immediately. the tapering of the prednisone proves to be the most difficult. After the first complete tapering ( down to zero ) a relapse occurred. Now on 6 mg maintencance. The side effects are somewhat held in check through rigorous vitamin and other orthomol. products, fishoil etc and exercise.

Prednisone review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Chest Infection (viral)
Dosage & duration:   50 Mg taken once per day for the period of for 3 days
Other conditions:   sinus infection
Other drugs taken:   Amoxicillin, Symbicort (cortisteroid powder puffer), Ventalin Puffer

Benefits:   I feel much better and this is only the second day on the medication. When the Prednisone is in my system it feels like I am almost completely better. Once it wears off (before my next day) I am still sick but better than the day before.
Side effects:   Some side effects for me are wide awake, hyper, jittery, plugged ears (needs to be popped) joint pain and discomfort in my knees, ankles, and hips (almost like an arthritis feeling but not sore, just awkward.
Comments:   Before I started on the Prednisone I was sick for 2 weeks with a viral infection the chest (chest) my wheezing was really bad and I was prescribed to Symbicort Corticosteroid inhaler twice per day to help with the inflammation and airways. After a few days I was still getting worse and did feel minimal comfort from the puffer, and my overall infection was getting worse. I went back to the doctor and they added in a Ventolin puffer to open the airways 2 puffs 4 times per day in between the symbicort. 5 days later I went back to the doctor wheezing more and with a sort of stuffy nose and serious nasal pain (mostly from coughing so much. He told me I caught a sinus infection since the steroid lowers your emmmune system and makes it easier to catch another infection. He then prescribed me to 50 mg of Prednisone each day for a 3 day term so that it could tackle the inflammation fast so that the cortisone puffer would be able to catch up ( it couldn't work fast enough as it takes a while to start working) and also prescribed me to Amoxicillin for the sinus infection (since it was caused by bacteria) He said he would have prescribed me the antibiotic even if i didn't catch the sinus infection as an immune booster since prednisone lowers your immune system.. I took my first prednisone yesterday for the first time, it made me feel good for 9 hours or so but gave me some joint pain. The next day I felt a little better but still coughing and sick until I took the Prednisone again. (today at 2:00pm) It is now 11:00pm and I am flighing high (thats probably why I am writing in a blog and feel awesome, I feel like I could run a marathon. I also just drank a coffee and I don't think it helped. No coughing. Hopefully I can sleep tonight.. I used to take Ritalin for ADD and this kind of feels like that. I think tomorrow I will feel a little better, great again when I am on the Prednisone, and hopefully after that the puffer will Finnish off fixing the inflammation. Did anyone get hearing loss when taking prednisone? Its like when your on an airplane and your ears need to be popped but you cant pop them. I checked online and all I could find is prednisone fixes hearing loss..haha.. weird anyways.. Overall I think it works great!

Prednisone review by care giver of 73 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Itching body rash
Dosage & duration:   2 pills a day taken one in morning one a night for the period of 1 week

Benefits:   Allowed client to sleep without itching.
Side effects:   restlessness during the day. Nightmares.
Comments:   Client developed rash with many itchy bumps, could not get sleep or keep hands off bumps. Prednisone temporarily provided the client with mild relief, also calamine lotion was applied topically and seemed to provide some relief. Rash is subsiding mildly after one week of the Prednisone and calamine lotion. I would say if this symptom comes back that the client would use it again based on this experience.

Condition / reason:   Relapsing remitting MS, Possible Neuro Sarcoidosis
Dosage & duration:   60Mg taken daily for the period of on 60mg daily for three months then tape
Other conditions:   Severe weaking of lower and upper extremities
Other drugs taken:   celexa, Gabaspentin

Benefits:   I felt so much better on the Prednisone, in the first 30 days, i could breathe easier and i did not get the severe dizzy spells i had been having
Side effects:   after the first 30 days, I noticed that i had severe heartburn, tightening of my throat , a huge weight gain, 20 pounds in one month, moon face, a sore tongue, probably just picked up a chest infection, and feeling generally lousy
Comments:   I was diagnosed with relapsing Remitting MS in December 09, Betaseron did not work for me, and i had a severe reaction to it with injections site infections After a hospital stay, being treated with IV Solumedrol, for 5 days, and many blood tests etc, my blood work came up with a very elevated ACE level, the doctors now suspect Sarcoidosis, the Neuro put me on 60 MG prednisone daily for 90 days, and in the meantime see the Rheumatoid doc to rule out this condition, the prednisone unfortunately that i am on, makes it very difficult to diagnose, and he wants me to start a taper, to see what happens, and then they can start doing more tests, as Prednisone masks the inflammation that they are looking for They also did a bone density test while there, and have discovered i have severe osteoporosis, so really not sure if they are going to get me off this drug pretty fast The drug is dangerous to be on and can cause other problems, but my Neuro obviously feels the need to have me on it sure i am scared to be on too long, but i think right now the benefits out weigh the risks

Prednisone review by 55 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   cornea transplant rejection
Dosage & duration:   60ml (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 1month
Other drugs taken:   alphagan

Benefits:   60ml of Prednisone saved my cornea transplant. Saved me from having to have another surgery on an already tramatized eye.
Side effects:   The side effects were terrible. Hiper, trouble sleeping, shaking, depression severe depression. Depression that I have never had before.
Comments:   60 ml of prednisone for 3 weeks to a month saved the transplant.

Prednisone review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Rash on neck that spread to face
Dosage & duration:   60 mg, then down to 40, then to 20 mg taken once a day for the period of About 8 days
Other conditions:   Heart irregularities, allergies
Other drugs taken:   Tenormin, Claritin (generic)

Benefits:   The prednisone immediately reduced the warmth and burning heat of the rash, although the rash continued to spread across my face for several days. It also stopped the itching. As another benefit, the prednisone also got rid of my eczema and--most thrilling--my tennis elbow, which was lingering from 9 months earlier!
Side effects:   1. Gassy 2. Wide awake at night, couldn't sleep, restless legs 3. Lots of energy--kept working into the night! 4. Seemed to sweat more than before while working more than hot flashes 5. Flushed cheeks, healthy-looking rosy look, added a glow! 6. Had an appetite 7. Bad taste in mouth, bad breath 8. Gained weight right away even though I wasn't on it too long 9. Rounder, plumper face 10. Felt good all over--tennis elbow and other problems disappeared 11. Felt a bit of a "high" 12. Sore all over my bones after quitting 13. Very bad watery diarrhea after quitting (unless it was the flu)
Comments:   I first had a 60-mg shot in the office; the next day I was to take three 20-mg pills (=60 mg, once a day). Then, for 5 days, I had to take two 20-mg pills; then for the last two days, I was to take one 20-mg pill each day.