Periostat (Doxycycline Hyclate) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Periostat (Doxycycline Hyclate) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 1 ratings/reviews, Periostat has an overall score of 8. The effectiveness score is 8 and the side effect score is 6. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Periostat review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Rosacea
Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken once a day for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   The drug prevents the pustules that can result from Rosacea. When I do not take the drug for a week, the pustules tend to reappear.
Side effects:   When I first started the drug, I felt nauseated for a few days. It gradually subsided. It helped to take the drug with food, although I initially was told to take it 2 hours after eating. Now I can tolerate it better, but still must take it at about the same time every day or it bothers my stomach and I get nauseated.
Comments:   My Rosacea had progressed to the second stage (pustules) before I was diagnosed. I woke up one morning with pustules on my face, and one was infected. I went immediately to a dermatologist, who diagnosed me with Rosacea and prescribed 200 mg of doxycycline daily. I tried that, but my stomach would not tolerate it. He lowered the dose to 100 mg, and I did better, although it took a few days to adjust.