Paxil (Paroxetine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Paxil (Paroxetine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 58 ratings/reviews, Paxil has an overall score of 6.43. The effectiveness score is 7.62 and the side effect score is 6.38. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Paxil review by 24 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression and anxiety.
Dosage & duration:   20mg daily. taken daily. for the period of 5 years.
Other conditions:   Nil.
Other drugs taken:   Multivitamins, Iron.

Benefits:   Completely ceased all anxiety, and I am now able to participate and enjoy life fully.
Side effects:   Has made me gain weight and became more easily fatigued (all SSRI can disrupt REM sleep phases, resulting in less satisfying rest). During the last few years, when I have been stable and very happy, I have tried several times to cease the medication, including under the support of a naturopath. This medication is very hard to get off without significant side effects (including vertigo and nausea), however, as my medicxal professional has stated, some people just need to stay on them for a longer time.
Comments:   I have been on 20mg (one tablet) of Paroxetine for around 5 years now, as well as see a psychologist for 6 months.

Paxil review by 46 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg per day taken daily for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Definitely lowered anxiety.
Side effects:   Didn't care as much as I needed to about deadlines and other stressful things. It was good that I wasn't overly anxious, but I also was less likely to work overtime to get things done. What made me stop taking it was the increased jaw clenching that never went away.
Comments:   I took this medication during a protracted court drama that kept me on the edge of "losing it".

Paxil review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Panic disorder
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once a day for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   Migraines
Other drugs taken:   Excedrin

Benefits:   The main benefit is the ability of the drug to reduce, even eliminate the panic attacks. The general mood is positively improved.
Side effects:   Many listes un the literature, but in my case the worst are intermenstrual bleeding, back pain, laziness, abscense of sexual desire.
Comments:   I just take one 20 mg pill at night. Medical check-up once a year including lab tests.

Paxil review by 22 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   2 pills day taken twice day for the period of 1 month

Benefits:   none- did not relieve symptoms
Side effects:   severe drowsiness, irritability, hypermania
Comments:   discontinued use because did not relieve symptioms and the side effects were too severe

Paxil review by 50 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   30mg taken daily for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   NA
Other drugs taken:   NA

Benefits:   Kept me knumb to deal with problems and issues
Side effects:   Robotic demeanour
Comments:   Used daily....enjoyed nothing...felt very little.

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once daily for the period of 4 years
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   wellbutrin, ambrien, xanax

Benefits:   Helped me to feel better. Lessened anxiety, panic attacks, tension, emotional exhaustion. I was able to tolerate being around people better because talking did not seem so loud. Once I was used to the drug, it helped me get out of bed and function in day to day life better (falling asleep & getting out of bed was a serious struggle). Eventually with the combined therapy, I pretty much now feel like myself again, just with less energy reserve and ability to have discipline with my routine. (For instance, I can't get up early, during the 5am, 6am hours and get to work on time like I use to. In fact I'm late for everything now which is out of my character) Can' tolerate multiple loads of stress with calmness and collectivity like I use to. Otherwise day to day life is manageble as long as I obey my bodies new limitations. I didn't gain weight or increase in appetite. I struggled with appetite actually and at times had to force myself to eat.
Side effects:   This drug gave me alot of strange sensations. When I turned my head left or right, I got this mild scratchy or whip like noise in my ears along with a tingling in my head; also my vision seemed to briefly black out. This lasted for many months. I thought it was perhaps not real or just in my head. My psychiatrist called it "tracking" and confirmed it as a known side affect with paxil use. I didn't bother to worry anymore about it. This passed after some months. I no longer get it. I felt very dizzy and sleepy at times. I'd fall asleep anywhere. I don't know if it was the depression, the paxil, lack of sleep, my body trying to heal from stress. Sometimes I felt like I was living life from inside of a fish bowl (from sensory standpoint). I was chronically late to my job of 8 years for 2 years straight after suffering this nervous breakdown (due to spousal abuse). Subsequently, I was fired. When I miss doses of the paxil, especially 2 or more in a row, I feel like I did when I just started them. I can barely get out of bed and function. I'm super sleepy. I feel drunk. I'm dizzy. I will literally go missing for 2 days. It takes a few days of regular doses to get me back into my normal mode.
Comments:   Initially I was only prescriped paxil and xanax. I took only these for a few months under my PMD. Dose was increased from a lower one to 20mg as my depression and anxiety symptoms were still moderately severe, impairing my work performace and other quality of life. Withing a few months I was referred to a psychiatrist for med mgmt. After less than 6 months, Wellbutrin was added to the cocktail at a dose of 150mg, then increased to 300mg XL once daily. Ambien was also presccribed as my symptoms did not allow me to fall asleep. Life greatly improved within the next 8 months to a year. I weaned off the ambien and xanax completely. Still take the paxil and wellbutrin at the same doses. Also had counseling during all of this time.

Paxil review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once a day for the period of taking it at present
Other conditions:   arthritis
Other drugs taken:   mirena (IUD with hormones)

Benefits:   I am less angry, sleep a little better, MUCH less anxious. I am able to play with the kids without unhappily obsessing over all the things I should be working on. I can just chill out and be in the moment.
Side effects:   sleepiness the next day, maybe more acne
Comments:   Clinical depression runs in my family. My sister was clinically depressed at the age of 9. She and I were both sensitive, angry, sad, and sometimes suicidal. I have just lived with it, not really taking meds much. I have to notice a difference in a few days if I am going to stick with something. My aunt told my sister that the people in our family do well on Paxil. My sister felt that it worked for her for a year or two, so I started taking it because it has reached a point where I have to be happy or die from stress. the Paxil had a noticeable effect on my anxiety levels in a matter of days, and an effect on my level of general happiness in a matter of a week or two. The doctor prescribed 20 mg which I just can't take because it makes me too sleepy the next day. I take 10mg which was enough for the first month. Now 10 mg is almost not enough, I can feel the anxiety there sometimes but more Paxil will make me sleepy. My 10 year old son inherited the family depression problem, he's been talking about killing himself and others. He started taking Paxil also, I have noticed a big difference. He is not angry so much anymore. It is helping us truly. I usually won't take prescriptions, I think they make people sicker sometimes. I will keep taking this stuff as long as the benefits outweigh the problems.

Paxil review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   panic disorder
Dosage & duration:   0.125mg taken once daily for the period of 7years
Other conditions:   high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   norvasc

Benefits:   subsided panic attacks,(although not always)
Side effects:   became "addicted" to the medication. Had a difficult time weaning off of med. When med was not taken, an unusual sensation (electric?) would shoot thru brain.
Comments:   one tablet daily in the a.m.

Paxil review by 45 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Clinical depression
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken 1 x day for the period of 15 months

Benefits:   After 15 days of taking the drug my mood lifted noticeably. This reached the maximum level after about 5 weeks. I experienced very high levels of confidence and an ability to focus much more on my goals. This led to successful achievement and a dramatic move forward in my life.
Side effects:   A greatly lowered libido and extremely vivid dreams.
Comments:   I was prescribed the drug at 20 mg a day. For the first three weeks I took it in the morning but, due to severe drowsiness, after 20 days I began to administer it just before bedtime. This resulted in the vivid dreams and led to greater alertness during the day.

Paxil review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   recovery from a brainstem stroke
Dosage & duration:   15mg taken 1xday for the period of 6mo
Other drugs taken:   coumadan lipitor

Benefits:   to treat depression commonly caused by stroke. They say stroke and being a woman, 99% chance of depression, like a roller coaster early on..
Side effects:   Made me feel like a zombie, slowed me in my emotional resilancy recovery and I also gained 10 lbs pretty fast..
Comments:   To help me thru the early stages of the grief process in stroke recovery, which I guess it did, my emtotions were volatile at times, very hard time emotionally for a bit. But I hated the numb feeling it gave me and worried me how I would react (if it would be too slow) if my kids had some sort of emergency..they were 5 and 6th grade at the time.

Paxil review by 34 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   25mg taken daily for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   I was able to go about my daily life without feeling fear and paranoia. I was also able to handle a significant amount of stress in a reasonable manner.
Side effects:   I was very tired, having to nap daily. Also missing a dose or forgetting to take it about the same time daily caused withdrawl syptoms of nausea and extreme dizziness.
Comments:   Take one pill daily, visit with a physciatrist monthly, and some therapy sessions.

Paxil review by 45 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40 mg daily taken once a day for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   rheumatic fever
Other drugs taken:   antibiotics, prednasone

Benefits:   overall more at ease mantally was the only true benefit I felt.
Side effects:   I was sweating all the time, also loss of appetite and sex drive. Uncomfortable in my skin. Constipation. Horrible to stop taking. Very hard to lessen the dosage and not feel like I was shaking out of my skin. Very edgy, trembles.
Comments:   I was being treated for adult rheumatic fever with antibiotics and steroids and paxil. I had a very hard time coming off of the paxil and I was very uncomfortable on it. The mental benefit was not worth the physical detriment.

Paxil review by 23 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   depression/anxiety/PTSD
Dosage & duration:   60mg/day taken daily for the period of 4 years
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   Trazadone 50mg/day

Benefits:   Loss of depression, reprieve from PTSD symptoms
Side effects:   Suicidal thoughts, disconnection from friends and family
Comments:   I was monitored on a quarterly basis by a psychiatrist who prescribed Paxil and Trazadone.

Paxil review by 49 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   25mg taken daily for the period of 8 months
Other drugs taken:   daily vitamin

Benefits:   it alleviated my severe depression related to an extended period of high stress events in my life. The depression was debilitating.
Side effects:   none that I noted
Comments:   once daily oral administration

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20mg/day taken daily for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   irritability, mildly paranoid thought processes, emotional fatigue

Benefits:   Significant reduction in feelings of anxiety, angry feelings, and social anxiety. Normalizing of affect, increased ability to focus on tasks and to cope with minor stressors. I felt a sort of reorganization of my thought processes, no longer brooded interminably about minor failings or ineffective social interactions or the presumed opinions of others about my worth. No longer hypervigilant about social cues. "So this is what it's like to be normal!"
Side effects:   Initially, but eventually disappearing side effects: drowsiness, severe nausea, inability to achieve orgasm, trembling, lack of affect. When failing to take medication, "brain shocks" like electrical lightning in brain.
Comments:   Took 20 mg of paroxetine each morning (easier to remember in the morning). Reviewed effectiveness with prescribing physician every 3 months.

Paxil review by 34 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken daily for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   Anxiety
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   Significantly decreased depression and anxiety. More effective than Lexapro which was also taken prior by patient. Definitely a more effective product.
Side effects:   None which was an improvement from Lexapro which caused insomnia and fatigue. Did not experience any significant side effects.
Comments:   Taken daily at night before bedtime. Also exercised daily and increased activity which contributed to success.

Paxil review by 48 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of 5 yrs

Benefits:   reduce anxiety
Side effects:   weight gain-approx 20 lbs, loss of sexual desire, drowsiness dose
Comments:   take 1 pill in evening

Paxil review by 36 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken 1/day for the period of 1 yr

Benefits:   A more positive outlook and much easier social interaction. Introversion diminished and friendly extroversion became more natural. It was easier to start and finish projects because energy previously wasted on negative thoughts and actions was now available for constructive purposes.
Side effects:   A total loss of any sexual sensation. Prior to treatment interest in sex was low but paradoxically, when a feeling of psychological well-being produced a renewed interest in sex, the drug also removed the physical ability to engage in it. Orgasm was impossible and physical arousal was too weak to be effective. The worst part was withdrawal following treatment. It took at least 6 months of extremely gradual tapering off to withdraw, and I was on a low dose. Any attempt to withdraw faster would produce chaotic mood swings from hysterical laughter to violent, yelling rages. Every emotion, however mild, was magnified exponentially. Sexual sensation also went off the scale with such hypersensitivity that ejaculations happened spontaneously without any physical stimulation - a sneeze or a yawning stretch would morph into an immediate ejaculating orgasm without any erection. Throughout the withdrawal period a sensation of electric brain shocks extending to the arms and trunk would accompany any quick eye movement.
Comments:   Just the one pill each morning. This medication is such a double-edged sword that I could not recommend it. The long term dangers of sustained treatment are too great, as evidenced by the severe withdrawal effects. It really 'rewires' your brain and those effects may be unpredictable from person to person.

Paxil review by 52 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken 1x/day for the period of 10 years
Other drugs taken:   Hydrochlorothiazide

Benefits:   I have had excellent results with the drug. I no longer have a negative or indifferent attitude towards life. I am generally content and am capable of enjoyment. I am still capable of feeling appropriate negative emotions but don't get stuck in them.
Side effects:   I am not aware of any side effects.
Comments:   I was diagnosed with mild chronic depression. I took Prozac for approximately two years but it began to no longer work, even after raising the dosage. My doctor switched to Paxil. I tried getting off of it on two occasions, but both times, after about two months, the depression returned. Paxil continues to work for me; however, I am concerned about potential long-term side effects.

Paxil review by 25 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken one per day for the period of 12 months
Other conditions:   irregular sleep, lack of appetite

Benefits:   lessened the symptoms of my depression after taking the medication for about 2 to 3 weeks time, increased my appetite level, made my sleep more regular (I was either sleeping too much, or too little before taking the medication), increased my energy level
Side effects:   delayed or difficulty climaxing during sex
Comments:   one 20mg pill each day for 12 months, in addition to psychotherapy

Dosage & duration:   50mg taken daily for the period of One year
Other conditions:   Anxiety disorder

Benefits:   There were no benefits. I was repeatedly told it wasn't working because I just hadn't been on it long enough and my dosage wasn't high enough. It did not help the depression at all and it was expensive.
Side effects:   Trying to slowly reduce the dosages so the medicine could be stopped resulted in very frequent "brain zaps." These felt like electrical shocks in the head any time I moved. The electrical shocks could be felt in my arm and chest sometimes as well. The only thing that helped was to lay down and be as still as possible, but even that did not stop the shocks. This went on for 6 months. The gradual stepping down of dosage was monitored by a doctor and was even done slower than normal but it did not prevent the "brain zaps." Headaches and some nausea also accompanied the shocks.
Comments:   Started with 20mg and gradually increased to 50mg. After a year of treatment and no improvement the drug was eventually decreased and stopped.

Paxil review by 61 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   PANIC ATTACKS, DEPRESSION
Dosage & duration:   1 20 MG TABLET A DAY taken once a day for the period of 3 YEARS
Other conditions:   SLEEP DIFFICULTY
Other drugs taken:   XANAX

Benefits:   I WAS ABLE TO LIVE A NORMAL LIFE. TACHYCARDIA DISAPPEARED. ANXIETY AND ALL OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO DEPRESSION WERE UNDER CONTROL.
Side effects:   I DON T BELIEVE THERE WERE ANY.
Comments:   I STARTED WITH 1 20MG OF PAXIL IN THE MORNING AND 1/2 AT NIGHT BEFORE BEDTIME AND WITH XANAX THREE TIMES A DAY FOR 6 MONTHS. AFTER THAT I REMAINED WITH 1 TABLET PAXIL IN THE MORNING WITH 1 XANAX AND 1 XANAX AT BEDTIME.

Paxil review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Social anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken every day for the period of 6 mos
Other conditions:   allergies
Other drugs taken:   Allegra

Benefits:   Some relief from social anxiety. Really, no other benefits were found.
Side effects:   Sensitivity to caffeine. Absolutely could not tolerate alcohol. Headaches and an overall "strange" feeling when a pill was missed. Coming off the medication was extremely difficult with the side effects and took several months.
Comments:   I was to take the medication to help with social anxiety. I was to take the pill once a day.

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of more than 10 years

Benefits:   I believe that I suffered from depression my whole life. I feel like the first years of my life would have been very different if I had some treatment for my feelings. My whole family would agree that I am much much happier and have a feeling of peace in my life.
Side effects:   I am not sure if it is only the drug but I have almost no sexual feelings. Could just be my age...who knows.
Comments:   I'm not sure what you mean by "treatment details" but I saw a psycotherapist for several months and she prescribed the paxil and ok'd the paroxetine. I share my treatment with anyone because I think that depression is not the best descriptive word for what was troubeling me. Thanks for your work!

Paxil review by 68 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg od taken 1/2 tab daily for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   premarin 0.3 mg daily

Benefits:   less feeling of twirling...and more able to focus, and less distractability,more able to complete tasks and not flit from thing to thing
Side effects:   insomnia and a bit of nausea for the first week or two only. but this had been explained to me and was quiote manageable.
Comments:   instructed to take 20 mg daily...now I take 1/2 tab daily...ie 10 mg with good effect. I have been taking 10 mg daily for some time now, and feel no need to increase to the 20 mg.

Paxil review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Mild depression
Dosage & duration:   20 mg. taken once a day at the same time for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   Loss of interest in everything

Benefits:   I could see a dramatic difference in my mood within 3 weeks! I felt interested in all my hobbies again plus I was smiling and laughing more. My doctor told me I could be the poster child for Paxil. This drug made a remarkable improvement in my mild depressive state. I recently (5 wks ago) underwent gastric bypass surgery. The doctor that performed this surgery told me not to quit taking Paxil...it would be like losing my best friend. I have had absolutely no depression after my surgery (which I understand is not common). This drug is amazing!
Side effects:   The only side effects I had were temporary decreased sexual desire and a decreased ability to have orgasms. These side effects went away after about 6 months on this drug.
Comments:   I take one 20 mg. pill once a day at the same time. I usually take my pill first thing in the morning because it's easier for me to remember. I did research on this product before I actually started taking it and found that the 20 mg. dose had the same results as the 40 mg. dose and showed no marked improvement. The 20 mg. dose has been great for me.

Paxil review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   panic attack and anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once a day for the period of 6 years
Other conditions:   slightly over wieght
Other drugs taken:   none at the time

Benefits:   The Paxil relieved my anxiety and mild panic attacks at first. After time my doctor needed to increase the dose to get the same effect.
Side effects:   The side affects were that I needed an abnormal amount of sleep. The higher the dose the more time I slept. Also my blood pressure went up and I gained a lot of wieght.
Comments:   I started with half a 10mg pill a day. It was the increased to a full 10mg a day. I then went to a 10mg and a half pill a day. Then went to 20mg a day. I then went off Paxil entirely. My blood pressure went down and I lost a good anount of wieght but not all that I had gained. I did have some very high axiety at first but then it subsided.

Paxil review by 29 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once a day for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   Anxiety

Benefits:   The treatment Benefits included feeling less anxiety, stress and pressure in many social situations. I felt less irritable and more willing and open for change. I had been feeling very down on myself and ‘lost’ in terms of my emotional well being and stability. I had been feeling a lot of pressure and like I didn’t fit in in many situations. I also felt that many things in life were hard- even small things like showering or brushing my teeth. Taking this medication helped me to overcome those feelings and be able to do everyday things without seeing them as such a challenge. It stabilized my mood as well so I wasn’t experiencing major irritability, intense frustration or anger.
Side effects:   The Side effects I experienced from this drug were minimal. I did experience some headaches and a bit of a “spacey” feeling in the head when I first started taking it. Overall, I would say that the major issue I experienced which I am considering a side effect was a dulling of the emotions. While it helped me to curb my frustration and irritability, it also dulled my ability to feel great happiness or excitement about anything. My husband complained that I just stopped caring about everything. I also became completely disinterested in sex.
Comments:   I am unsure of what the treatment details mean. I took this drug for about a year under the supervision of my general practioner. I took a 10 mg dosage the entire time. This dose was never increased. The drug took about 4 weeks before I noticed the benefits. I stopped taking the drug when I, along with my GP felt that I was doing better and no longer needed it.

Paxil review by 62 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Severe Depression
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken daily for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   ADHD
Other drugs taken:   Adderall

Benefits:   None - I only had extremely bad side effects, which cost me my job, my home and my car. I just don't have fifty words to describe no benefits - thank you. I still need twenty words - hmmm - how am I doing? Now I need ten words - can I quit now? Ugh!
Side effects:   Now this I can describe: Lethargy - stared at the walls when awake, which wasn't often - most of the time I was passed out cold - even on Adderall; hideous nightmares - so horrible that I won't repeat them; constant sweating; incontinence; emotionally and physically numb; muscle twitches; rash on tongue.
Comments:   I don't know how to answer this question, except to say that I was prescribed Paxil 40 mg to be taken once a day because I couldn't stop crying over a grief issue. It didn't work. We switched to Wellbutrin, which was somewhat better and I took it for a year before stopping. It's been seven years since I went off all drugs and I still have occasional withdrawal symptoms that I call "brain shocks." I don't recommend SSRIs to anyone for anything. Oh - and I'm still grieving... sigh...

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   Do not remember (dosage frequency: 1 x day) for the period of one year +

Benefits:   The drug did help with the temporary depression.
Side effects:   However, the heart palpatations created a condition which was diagnoised as a mitral valve prolapse. I was told that the condition was congenital. I explained that I had never had the symptoms/or condition before and was sure that it would have been diagnosed in the 43+ years prior. After about 12 years, I still, from time to time experience palpatations or flutters around my heart. About three years ago, I was examined by a heart specialist. He reevaluated me and said that I DID NOT HAVE mitral valve prolapse. GO FIGURE.
Comments:   Depression treated. The mitral value prolapse was not treated but noted when any medical or dental treatment was performed.

Paxil review by medical professional caring for 38 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg/ taken once per day for the period of six months

Benefits:   The patient's was able to see positive effects in 2 weeks time. She noted an improvement in mood, spouse noted a reduction in symptoms relating to prementrual syndrome, and a return of normal sleep patterns. Overall return of positive mood and enjoyment of previous activities.
Side effects:   Patient was taking the medication in the morning. At night, a jittery restless feeling was noted which required the patient to get out of bed and move around for about 20 minutes before returning to bed. The patient switched medication times to the evening before bed and the restlessness did not return. The patient also noted that the desire to consume sweets or carbohydrates was markedly reduced during treatment.
Comments:   Treatment was easy to administer, being only once a day, and could be altered easily (am or pm). There were no cardiovascular side effects, no dizziness, blurred vision, or nausea associated with treatment with 10 mg. paroxetine. The mild side effects such as reduced craving for carbohydrates and feeling full earlier during a meal were not considered problematic. The patient's clinical signs of depression, which were insomnia, and reduced enjoyment of former hobbies were reversed within a short period of time (2-3 weeks).

Paxil review by 38 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken every day for the period of 7yrs
Other conditions:   no sleep

Benefits:   no more anxiety
Side effects:   weight gain, sleepiness
Comments:   At first I was not given the proper dosage and it took about six months to get the right dose. One my body became accustomed to that dosage it was purely smooth sailing from there. The 20mg paxil dose completely stopped my symptoms. I have been on this drug free of problems for over 7 yrs

Condition / reason:   mild depression
Dosage & duration:   40 mg/day taken qd for the period of 4 years
Other conditions:   migraines, joints pain
Other drugs taken:   Fioricet,,Naproxen

Benefits:   Less tired, less sleepy, more motivated for working and daily chores. Much less of headaches and Fioricet worked better when I had ones. Naproxen 500 mg relieved the arm pain for 7 hours.
Side effects:   Decreased sex emotions was the main side effect of Paxil, it made me somewhat numb. As to Fioricet , it seemed to me I became used to it, overtime I needed 2 tabs. to kill headache, instead of one tab. as it used to be.
Comments:   Paxil has been taken regularly for 4 years, then stopped by myself. I had to restart it after 2 months, because some symptoms did return.

Paxil review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   major depressive episode
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken 1 x day for the period of 4 years
Other drugs taken:   wellbutrin xl 300mg

Benefits:   able to function, get out of be for work, be sociable, etc. better sleep at night
Side effects:   dizziness, sleepiness, nausea, funny sensations and sounds in head ears and eyes, difficulty waking up and staying awake. It took many months to get adjusted to the medicine. If i miss any paxil doses, especially 2 in a row, I get the same symptoms
Comments:   paxil and wellbutrin taken once daily. initially also taken with xanax 0.25mg (1-2 tabs) and ambien for anxitety and sleep. weaned off xanax and ambien within one year. counseling once a week.

Paxil review by 61 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30 mg. taken 1 x daily for the period of 8 years
Other conditions:   HBP,
Other drugs taken:   Lisinopril 20 mg.

Benefits:   I had several episodes of extremely high blood pressure 212/90 was one reading. It was mainly a product of work related stress and being overweight. First I was treated with Prozac for the depression/anxiety and became suicidal. With the Paxil and Lisinopril combination my blood pressure is controlled and I do not suffer from depression nor anxiety. I respond to outside stimuli in a more normal way.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Lisinopril 1 tablet 20 mg daily, Paxil initially was 15 mg increased to 30 mg. daily.

Paxil review by 50 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mgs taken 1 per day for the period of still taking
Other conditions:   high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   amlodopine

Benefits:   lower blood pressure
Side effects:   In the beginning headaches, now my blood pressure is much lower and I don't spend most of the day running to the bathroom like I took a diuretic.
Comments:   When I started taking paxil, I was severely depressed. When I woke up in the morning, I would sit on the side of the bed for around 30 minutes before I could finally get up and start getting ready for work and then I would still cry until around 12 noon. After taking paxil for about 3 days, I had a job as a courier and I caught myself singing and dancing to a song on the radio. I couldn't believe it, I had not done that for about 5 months. Also there was the great side effect of appetite loss, especially at first, where I had actually forgotten to eat all day on several occasions. I still take paxil today, and I my emotional state is more balanced. I am also happy with the amlodopine.

Paxil review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   OCD
Dosage & duration:   .05 mg....I believe taken 1 x day for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   mostly anxiety and depression

Benefits:   There were none at all.
Side effects:   There were many side effects such as mild hallucinations, major heart palpitations, and increased anxiety.
Comments:   I took Paxil for 2 weeks and after experiencing the horrible side effects I decided to tell my doctor that I wanted to stop taking it. My first 2 - 3 days were fine, until the dose was increased. Overall, this drug had to many negative side effects to be effective.

Paxil review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Panic Attack
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 1/day for the period of 3 yrs
Other drugs taken:   Prempro

Benefits:   My anxiety when driving was lowered.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   One day I was driving on a freeway (280, San Francisco Bay area) and felt like I was going to faint. It was a clear day, not much traffic as it was the middle of the day and this freeway is more of a 'country' freeway than our main one, 101. I pulled over to the shoulder so I could compose myself. I felt like I was having a panic attack (which I had never had before but friends have) so I took deep, slow breaths to calm myself. When I felt I was alright, I returned to the freeway but had to pull over once more before I reached home. I have never been in an accident nor had this feeling before so could not rationalize what was happening. After it happened a few more times, I put paper bags in my car (for breathing) and started using side roads, where I had no problems. When I went to my doctor, I told him about my anxiety and he prescribed Paxil for me. I began taking it and, it took a while, though I wasn't ready to try the freeway right away, but it has definitely helped. I am now more willing to just get on the freeway. I have not noticed any side effects from taking it or changes in my personality...I did not need it for depression or any other anxiety but freeway driving.

Paxil review by 33 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken daily for the period of 8 years
Other conditions:   anxiety

Benefits:   concentration and anxiety levels returned to normal were very good. Felt so much better on the medication. Really noticeable quite quickly the benefits.
Side effects:   Tiredness... feeling sleepy/lack of energy. debilitating. Have tried various over the counter stuff 2 help.. but to not much avail.
Comments:   take last thing at night. suits me better. some pple prefer taking in the morning.

Paxil review by 20 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety,depression
Dosage & duration:   20 mg, 60 tablets taken once a day. for the period of 1 year.
Other conditions:   asthma
Other drugs taken:   none.

Benefits:   make me worry less, and did make me feel better about life in general. it made my mood switch from being completely depressed and miserable to happy.
Side effects:   drowsiness, weight gain, very restless/hard time sleeping which caused me to be extremely tired, nausea, dry mouth.
Comments:   this pill worked extremely good. however, as i took it for a year, it stopped working and my body got used to it. and i was back to where i started.

Dosage & duration:   5mg taken 1x day for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   Birth control

Benefits:   The treatment benfits were...I was able to over come depression with assitance from the drug paxil. Along with therapy and Paxil I was able to live a normal life till I was able to do it alone through the coping methods I learned in Therapy. I had no side effects and paxil took the edge off and allowed me to work ont he issues subjectively.
Side effects:   As stated before I had no treatment side effects.
Comments:   We con't to keep the dosage as is due to favorable results.

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once daily for the period of 2 weeks

Benefits:   No treatment benefits
Side effects:   A million, shaking like crazy, jaw clenching practically breaking my teeth, jaw chattering, felt like I was watching myself, insomnia, blurred vision, confusion, couldn't stop thinking, can't stay still.
Comments:   For depression take 20mg once a day. Will now come off and try another. Didn't work for me.

Paxil review by 48 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety/depression
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once per day for the period of 13 years ongoing

Benefits:   The decrease in aniety greatly increased the quality of life for the patient.
Side effects:   Some delayed sexual function, although not severe. Some muscle jerks and twitches.
Comments:   Two attempts were made to discontinue use, but both times the uncontrollable anxiety returned. After the first attempt, the med was restarted and symptom relief was restored. The patient has just increased the dosage back to 20 mg after having weened down to 5 mg and is hoping that symptoms will subside once again. If efficacy returns the patient desires to remain on the med indefinitely.

Paxil review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   social anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken 1x a day for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   depression
Other drugs taken:   multivitamin

Benefits:   anxiety and nervousnees diappeared. was able to engage in social activities with no fear.was mor functional on the job, procrastination and econd guessing myself was to a minimal. low self esteem was elevated , did not have such a poor view of myself. i felt calm and confident
Side effects:   after awhile positive and negative emotions were not present.when people told jokes that use to be funny i didn't or couldn't laugh. The feeling of loving people was not present , things that should upset you , i would just shrug and go about my business. became apathetic. robotic behavior was noted by others
Comments:   after dealing with postpartum depression for a full year i sought treatment, also the aversion to wanting to go into public or talk to people was present. The therapist put me on paxil since it could help fight bothe conditions at the same time. Cognitive therapy was also applied but not helping. the drug paxil took affect and i was feeling fine for first month and a half, afterwards the decline of emotions was subconsciuosly worrisome (guess you can't kill all anxiety) i knew my apathetic behavior was not healthy and decided too much emotion was better than none. I discontinued my treatment this was in 2004

Paxil review by 39 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   depression, social anxiety disorder
Dosage & duration:   20mg. taken once daily for the period of 10 months

Benefits:   For the first two weeks I did not feel absolutely anything. Then, after about 15 days, I began to feel different. My constant sense of fear and worry was replaced by a sudden feeling of self-confidence. My depression, which formerly kept me in a state of perpetual sorrow, self-pity and doubt, was lifted from me like a veil. Suddenly I was talkative and social, where before I was soft-spoken and hesitant. I behaved as if I could not fail in anything I undertook to do. I was asking women on dates with a directness and boldness that almost scared women away. You could say that while I was taking Paxil I was in a hypermanic state. The benefits were very real. I loved the miraculous effects of this medication. Unfortunately I was forced to stop taking Paxil because of negative side effects.
Side effects:   Decreased libido, insomnia, dry mouth, increased appetite
Comments:   I was not able to have sex because Paxil left me sexually numb. It was difficult to maintain an erection. When I did get an erection it was without any sexual pleasure, in other words, it was just a mechanical erection. I could not sleep no matter how tired I became during the day. I had constant energy that would not go away even when I wanted to sleep. The insomnia was so bad that even sleeping pills could not counteract Paxil. Dry mouth was mild to moderate, but nonetheless bothersome. I gained a tremendous amount of weight in a short time. I went from 171lbs. to 227lbs. in about 4 months. Paxil gave me a huge appetite. I simply could not stop thinking about food, particularly sweets.

Paxil review by 19 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once a day for the period of 3 days
Other conditions:   bipolar
Other drugs taken:   Lamictal

Benefits:   None.
Side effects:   Overall feeling of a zombie. I felt lifeless, not necessarily more depressed, but it stripped me of all emotion. Felt drowsy and unbearably sleepy all day, but when I tried to sleep at night, I had severe insomnia. My jaw clenched and grinded throughout the entire day. I felt very spacey and loopy. Wanted to sleep all day.
Comments:   10mg (half a pill) each morning

Paxil review by care giver of 20 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken daily for the period of 3 days
Other conditions:   syctic acne

Benefits:   there was none.
Side effects:   he didnt get out of bed for three days,couldnt get him to eat (he only weighed 120 lbs),had to forse him to drink water, became even more depresses very suasidal,out of it, and lethargic. We had to take him to hospital(They were not helpful at all) Would only help if he had made a suaside attempt.
Comments:   Took him to doctor a few times for deppression. Doctor wrote a perscription. He was just a M.D., did not get a syc eval.

Paxil review by 35 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety and depression
Dosage & duration:   20 m/g (dosage frequency: once per day) for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   Extremely effective in reducing anxiety and depression. Makes you less self-conscious and able to go outside for walks, pass crowded patios without having to cross over to the other side of the street because you are affraid of being watched. Highly effective in reducing irritability and increasing patience. A lot less side effects than other anti-depressants. You do not feel drowsy or drugged. Neither do you get any stomach upsets.
Side effects:   Only side effect is that it is highly addictive. Was very hard to get off the treatment even when going down 1 mg per 2 weeks. Used the liquid for that. Could go cold turkey with all other anti-depressants but not this one. Once I went from 20 m/g per day to 15 m/g per day had to return back to initial starting dosage because my body went into extreme withdrawal.
Comments:   Extremely effective in reducing anxiety and depression. Makes you less self-conscious and able to go outside for walks, pass crowded patios without having to cross over to the other side of the street because you are affraid of being watched. Highly effective in reducing irritability and increasing patience. A lot less side effects than other anti-depressants. You do not feel drowsy or drugged. Neither do you get any stomach upsets.

Paxil review by 36 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30 mg taken once a day for the period of 10 years

Benefits:   Alleviated symptoms of clinical depression. Prior to treatment, experienced a severe episode of clinical depression that included acute symptoms such as insomnia, loss of apetite, loss of interest in life and people, suicidal ideation. After taking the drug for less than two weeks, I returned to a normal state of thinking, feeling, and functioning (which included alleviation of negative symptoms of depression and return to goal-oriented behavior and general sense of well-being.
Side effects:   delay in the onset of orgasm during sexual activity; a certain degree of loss of inhibition in social situations that occasionally lead to audatious behavior (e.g., what might be called as assertiveness in a previously shy individual, such as speaking my mind when I disagreed with something or someone and sometimes appearing rude or overly opinionated)
Comments:   Upon diagnosis of severe clinical depression, was put on 10 mg of Paxil for a week which did not produce any improvement (was still debilitated and unable to think, feel, or function normally). Dose was subsequently increased to 30 mg which produced the effect described above (treatment benefits). Medication was reduced after 2 years to a maintenance dose of 20 mg, and a year later to 10 mg. A traumatic life event resulted in a subsequent episode of severe clinical depression. The dosage was again increased to 30 mg and again resulted in the treatment benefits described above.

Paxil review by care giver of 37 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   bipolar disorder
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken one per day for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   sleep problem
Other drugs taken:   Neurontin

Benefits:   To minimize manic depression, patient was having problems at work, can't sleep well, this drug helped to calm patient down, becoming more relaxed, able to deal with normal work load.
Side effects:   Low energy, missing high, also has longer sleeping need.
Comments:   Took the pill for bipolar disorder, but seem to get into longer term depressive mood.

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   20 mg a day taken 1 time a day for the period of have taken it for 6 months, still on it

Benefits:   solved my depression and helped me have an overall better outlook on life.
Side effects:   Pleasant vivid dreams, night sweats, intermentrual bleeding,numbed other emotions, minor weight gain, unable to fall asleep (but after about 4 months, this didn't happen)
Comments:   I take 20 mg once a day first thing in the morning, and it no longer keeps me awake late into the night. I overall would recommend this drug to others. I take the generic.

Paxil review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Stress and Depression
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   allergy
Other drugs taken:   antihistamics

Benefits:   Parixetine resolved all the problems that made take that drug. These are : Reduce Anxiety Resolve sleeping problems, although at the beginning( first month) had more insomnia than normal) High Improvement in mood
Side effects:   At the beginning : digestion problems,difficulty in sleeping, tireness During the whole treatment : No Libido Withdrawal syndrome : high anxiety, sleeping problems, nausea, nightmares, dizziness. It has been really hard to withdraw it. I have Tried it 5 times, and the latest one was able to stabilize with 10 mg of paroxetine, and I feel ok with that dose for 2 years.
Comments:   20 mg of Paroxetine (Seroxat) per day during 4 years 10 mg of Paroxetine per day during 2 year

Paxil review by 47 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30mg daily taken once a day for the period of Four months

Benefits:   It eliminated my depression.
Side effects:   Constant stomach upset. Complete inability to climax.
Comments:   I was subscribed this to help get me through my separation from my spouse. While taking it, everything I ate upset my stomach. It was hell when the time came to stop taking it. It's very addictive and I felt nauseous, dizzy and just plain horrible when I first tried to stop taking it. I went back on it and started taking St. John's Wart with it. This helped immensely when it came time to try to quit the drug again. After a few weeks of taking the herb, I slowly started reducing the amount of Paxil I was taking by breaking up the tabs and taking less and less of it each day. I finally got off it and will never, ever take it again. It was a nightmare.

Paxil review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression and anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20 milligrams (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of two months
Other conditions:   hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   Wellbutrin, Levoxyl

Benefits:   Paxil quickly improved my depression and also helped with mild anxiety issues I was experiencing. I was very pleased with the speed with which my depression improved. Within four weeks I was feeling better than I had felt in a very long time. I have been on it for two months and am still improving.
Side effects:   During the second week I experienced stomach problems. I had diarrhea that lasted for about a week. I also had moderate headaches which lasted a little longer than the stomach issues.
Comments:   I went to the doctor due to problems associated with my depression. I had been taking Wellbutrin but it seemed to be losing its effect. The doctor recommended adding another antidepressant to boost the Wellbutrin. I attempted three other anti-depressants but had severe side effects. Zoloft, Lexapro, and Celexa all caused me to have severe diarrhea. During the four weeks that I stayed with Zoloft I experienced little improvement and lost 15 pounds as a result of the diarrhea and lack of appetite.

Paxil review by 60 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Panic Attacks
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of 9 years
Other conditions:   High Blood Pressure
Other drugs taken:   Norvasc and Hyzaar

Benefits:   I have been on Paxil or generics for 9 years after a life-time of panic attacks. My attacks subsided immediately and though they recur every so often the relief has been a godsend. Even as a highly-productive and involved person it has been a lifetime of quiet fear that at any moment I would have these horrific feelings of losing my self and being depersonalized out of my body. As a few others have noted, the most common location for instant attacks is while driving. Paxil has calmed much of my life-long anxiety. I am a calmer and more socially comfortable person.
Side effects:   Lots of side effects, none of them deal breakers. It took months to achieve orgasm - it was like having a dead weight between my legs. Having reduced treatment to 10mgs a few years ago that has improved. As many others report, wild dreams and less deep sleep is now the norm but I have long grown accustomed to it. Miss a dose and you get those weird 'electric' buzz shocls in your brain - a tad alarming but not horrible. Weight increase of about 10 pounds - very difficult to get rid of.
Comments:   Started at 10 mg on doctor's recommendation, went to 20 after a month. Noticable improvement in mood and lessened anxiety. After 4-5 years weaned myself down to 10 mg by cutting the pills. With doctor ok have stayed at 210 for the last 6 years. Once i tried to reduce it to 5 mg - big mistake. Too big a jump and had terrible anxiety. Decided I could live with 10 mg. It works, but with side effects. Like all powerful medicine, it's a tradeoff. For me it is still worth it 10 years later.

Paxil review by 61 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg. a day taken once a day for the period of 7 years

Benefits:   paxil took away my anxiety and made me feel very comfortable on social gatherings. took away my depression also.
Side effects:   constantly tired, napped everyday, gain 30 lbs.
Comments:   paroxatine will pretty much walk you thru life with a ho hum attitude and nothing will bother you. you will gain weight and there is nothing you can do for it. as far as trying to quit the drug you will go through hell and back before you come out of the woods. my advice is don't try it to begin with. use paroxatine as a last chance method. i finally successfully quit.

Paxil review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ptsd, anxiety, depprssion, obsessive remembering
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once per day for the period of 8 yrs/ now 6 months
Other conditions:   sleep problems, no appetite
Other drugs taken:   non

Benefits:   greatly helps depression and mood. Very effective for obsessive thinking/ fear. Stopped depression and there are very few anxieties. Regained appetite.
Side effects:   all emotions dulled, sexual numbness, flatulance, weight gain of 20% over normal weight, fatigue, loss of motivation and a bit scattered thinking. Does not help sleeping difficulties. Very slow paced withdrawal, over a 3 month period needed to avoid the side effects of withdrawal. Included effects of quitting are- brain zaps, noise sensitivity, jittery/ jumpy. With slow withdrawal few side effects ( brain zaps).
Comments:   20 mg a day from day 1 for 8 years. Quit 2 years ago. Started Paxil again Feb 2010 at 10 mg per day for 1 week, 20 mg per day for 4 months and back to 10 mg per day. Quitting with slow withdrawal presently. Now taking 10 mg every other day for past 6 wks. Starting to feel more alive and less sexual side effects.

Paxil review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once a day for the period of 4 days (deciding to stop taking it)

Benefits:   Totally reduced anxiety around presenting information to groups. Made it possible to think clearly and give an effective class.
Side effects:   Dopey feeling, extreme fatique, procrastination, numb feeling.
Comments:   My MD perscribed the medication for some increasingly intense feelings of anxiety around presenting to certain groups of people in higher levels of management. I was hoping for something that I could take only on a "as needed" basis as I've never been one to take medication unless absolutely needed. My MD does not believe in prescribing that kind of medication due to the highly addictive nature. I do not like the side effects of this drug and do not intend to continue it.