Oxazepam (Oxazepam) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Oxazepam reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 4 ratings/reviews, Oxazepam has an overall score of 6.50. The effectiveness score is 7.50 and the side effect score is 6.50. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Oxazepam review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   insomnia
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken one per night as needed for the period of on and off over the course of three year

Benefits:   This drug helped me to be able to fall sleep during an extremely stressful period in my life when I simply could not fall asleep. I had tried many herbal sleep remedies, homeopathics, melatonin supplements, acupuncture and so forth, but the Serax was the only thing that helped me. Initially during treatment I would be able to sleep 4-6 hours which was a huge benefit to me as I was exhausted from insomnia and stress.
Side effects:   Sometimes I would feel a slight tension in my head the next morning, but this was better than total exhaustion from sleeplessness. More recently I find that on the rare occasions that I use Serax, I wake up with a headache if I take a full capsule. I find using a half a capsule seems to work fine without giving me a headache.
Comments:   My doctor tried various antidepressant type sleep medications to help me to sleep but they did not help at all. They left me feeling groggy and with a strange disconnected feeling. We also tried Ambien but this only helped me get about 2 hours of sleep and then I'd wake up and feel strange. The Serax worked for me to help me fall asleep when I couldn't sleep, and to stay asleep for 4-6 hours. Also there were hardly any side effects except for the slight headache. I had no trouble going off the medication during the times when I no longer needed it. Sometimes I would taper from 1 capsule to 1/2 capsule per night, or one night on and one night off the medication, but most times I simply stopped using it when I no longer needed it. I still use a half a capsule occasionally when I travel if I have trouble falling asleep.

Oxazepam review by 46 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety due to Relationship Stress
Dosage & duration:   10mg twice per day taken only as needed for stress for the period of 6 months irregularly; as needed

Benefits:   I would get heart palpitations and major stress hours before my ex would come and pick up our daughter for visits; I also had difficulty sleeping if I had to deal with any issues with him; I would take one of these pills, only if I felt I needed and sometimes an hour before he would pick her up, and I would feel much calmer. It was a life saver for me until I got through the emotional upset and was able to detach.
Side effects:   Virtually no side effects, other than very slight drowsiness several hours after taking it...almost not noticeable.
Comments:   I was on a very small dose. And I only took this when I felt I needed it. It was a life saver and kept my body from experiencing intense stress like shaking, heart palpitations, and emotional upset. It did not change my mood. It only controlled the negative physical effect that I was allowing this person to have on me.

Oxazepam review by care giver of 85 year old male patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   temporary anxiety
Dosage & duration:   30mg taken daily for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   My father was put on this drug to fend off temporary, situational anxiety when his wife developed alzheimer's and was not looking after the finances properly. It helped him to sleep better. In the meantime, our family helped them sort out the financial mess his wife had created in her confusion. His anxiety ended but the doctor forgot to take him off the drug at the end of the 4 month period of effectiveness.
Side effects:   After 5 years of taking this drug, my father has developed short term memory loss which has developed to the point he now has an alzheimer's diagnosis for himself. He has no other symptoms of AD, just short term memory loss after 5 years on a drug that is only proven 'effective' for 4 months.
Comments:   Due to a recent mix up at the pharmacy, my father was accidentally withdrawn from the drug and suffered a terrible withdrawal. After 10 days without oxazepam, his memory improved but the doctor put him right back on it. I have since tried to get the doc to take him off. His answer? What's the point at his age. Why not just let him drift away in a foggy twilight. I love my dad and think he deserves better so I'm fighting this situation, but meanwhile my father wakes up each day wondering why he is on an advanced alzheimer's ward when he has no symptoms beyond drug induced short term memory loss.

Oxazepam review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken two times a day for the period of two weeks
Other conditions:   sleepless nights
Other drugs taken:   benzodiazepine

Benefits:   This medication relieve nervousness and tension and improve sleep disturbances.
Side effects:   This medication causes drowsiness and dizziness, memory loss and depression
Comments:   i take this drug on an as-needed basis. i take this drug 30 to 60 minutes prior to bedtime. I take it for three weeks on a regular basis. the first week three times the second week two times and the third week three times. The drug was very effective. I fel immediatly in sleep.The most common side effects of benzodiazepine i had were drowsiness and impaired coordination. Other side effects include slowed mental processing, confusion, memory impairment and fatigue.