Ortho TRI-Cyclen (Norgestimate / Ethinyl Estradiol) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Ortho TRI-Cyclen (Norgestimate / Ethinyl Estradiol) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 22 ratings/reviews, Ortho TRI-Cyclen has an overall score of 7.36. The effectiveness score is 9.09 and the side effect score is 7.27. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   Medium (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   No undesired pregnancies, lighter period
Side effects:   none
Comments:   One pill daily.

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 33 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1 pill per day taken daily for the period of 5 yeas
Other conditions:   weight gain

Benefits:   no pregnancy, reduced ance
Side effects:   headaches, minimal breakthrough bleeding, weight gain minimal
Comments:   standard dose 28day pack, 1 pill per day

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   birthcontrol
Dosage & duration:   1 pill per day taken every day for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   Of all of the birthcontrol pills I've taken this was by far the one with the least number of negative side effects and it actually had several positive side effects. It helped control my acne and kept me thin. After several years I did notice a decrease in my libido which came back after I stopped taking birthcontrol pills altogether. I was put on the generic version of this pill at somepoint and I had a completely different reaction. I instantly gained about 15 pounds (mostly water weight I think because I looked puffy). I found out after this reaction that generic pills don't have to be identical to the brand name drugs. I learned the hard way.
Side effects:   I never got pregnant.
Comments:   I took the same little pill for 21 days and then the placebo pills for another 7 days of the month.

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   irregular periods
Dosage & duration:   1 pill per day taken once a day for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   Acne

Benefits:   Periods became lighter and more regular, acne lessened as well.
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   I took the pill every morning for five years.

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 43 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1 pill per day taken daily for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   The treatment benefits were clearly protection from getting pregnant as long as the pill is taken regularly without skipping. This pill is also touted as being one that helps in the treatment of acne, although I honestly can't say that it changed my acne pattern whatsoever. I tend to break out around the time of my monthly cycle, and I continued to break out even during the time I was on this pill. I didn't notice any decrease in my break-outs.
Side effects:   The only side effect I noticed was a diminished sex drive.
Comments:   I was told to start the monthly dosage on the first Sunday following the cessation of my period. I then continued taking one pill a day to prevent pregnancy.

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   regualr dose for birth control (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   I was given this birth control to help stabilize my hormones to aid in clearing up my acne. I never saw a significant improvement in my acne.
Side effects:   I suffered some very negative side effects. First, this medication made me nauseated. Secondly, and the effect that I am still trying to recover from, this medication gave me the "pregnancy mask" which is a darkening above the lip area.
Comments:   I was to take this birthcontrol pill daily to aid in the hormonal fluctuations that possibly were contributing to my acne.

Condition / reason:   pregnancy prevention
Dosage & duration:   0.180 mg - 0.250 mg norgestimate taken daily for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   It was completely effective against pregnancy. One other good effect was my periods became very regular.
Side effects:   Too many bad side effects made this drug intolerable. Here is the list: (1) severe mood swings, ranging from depression to hyperactive and happy states; (2) my appetite increased to a point where I was overeating; (3) my breasts were often sore/painful; (4) I had nightly dreams (nightmares) and had difficulty sleeping; (5) It did not clear my skin of pimples like my doctor said it would...
Comments:   One active tablet administered daily from the 1st day through the 21st day of the menstrual cycle, counting the first day of menstrual flow as "Day 1" followed by one green inactive tablet daily for 7 days. Tablets are taken without interruption for 28 days. After 28 tablets have been taken, a new course is started the next day. NOTE: in addition to 0.180 mg - 0.250 mg norgestimate each pill also contains 0.035 mg ethinyl estradiol

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   birth control
Dosage & duration:   standard hormone dose (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 4 years

Benefits:   With proper administration I never feel too many side effects associated with hormonal imbalances. I also use it as my primary source of birth control have never become pregnant. Even during months that I failed to take it at the same time every day, I did not become pregnant. The pill is super tiny and easy to swallow.
Side effects:   You have to be careful to take the appropriate dose (one pill per day at the same time). You MUST keep it on you at all times so that you are able to do so. Missing a dose would often induce my period which would linger for weeks. I also noticed a dramatic difference in the quality of my hair. Over the last few years of taking the medication I have lost over 75 percent of the super thick head of hair I once had.
Comments:   The treatment is relatively simple and safe. It is also supposed to decrease your chance of cervical cancer. Take one pill each day and there is a 99 percent chance of not getting pregnant. However, you can increase your risk of blood clotting if you are a smoker. You highly advised to be smoke free throughout treatment. Once treatment stops you must seek another form of birth control.

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth Control/Control of Menstrual Cycle
Dosage & duration:   Not sure (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   The Ortho Tri-Cyclen provided effective birth control, and it also did cause my mentstrual cylcle to be more regular. My periods were less heavy, and I did not have such severe menstrual cramping each month while I was taking the pills. There are no other benefits to taking the pill that I am aware of.
Side effects:   I experienced migraine headaches several times per week where I could not do anything other than lay down with the lights off while on this medication. At first, I had no idea what was causing them, but my doctor informed me that my symptoms could be indicative of a more severe side effect, and she therefore advised me to stop taking them. They also caused some bloating and moodiness.
Comments:   The Ortho Tri-Cyclen birth control pills are a low dosage progesterone treatment that is intended to prevent pregnancy. I was required to take one pill every day. My understanding is that I experienced a relatively rare side effect with the migraines. I have not heard any similar complaints from friends who were taking the same pill, other than complaints about weight gain, bloating and mild acne.

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   prevent pregnancy
Dosage & duration:   one pill daily taken once a day for the period of 7.5 years
Other conditions:   iron deficiency
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   Ortho Tri Cyclen effectively prevented pregnancy, cleared up acne, gave me regular periods, helped with iron deficiency due to blood loss
Side effects:   Thinning hair, bleeding gums, eventually the iron deficiency came back
Comments:   I began taking Ortho Tri Cyclen at age 20. It gave me regular periods (they aren't really 'periods,' they are just a withdrawl from the hormones) and less cramping, lighter flow. It got rid of my acne. I did not get pregnant in my 7.5 years of taking the drug. I think that eventually the pill prevents you from absorbing nutrients because my iron deficiency came back. I am not sure if the nutrient absorption has anything to do with having bleeding gums more often, but I did have a lot of pain because of a dislodged clot when I got my wisdom teeth removed and the oral surgeon said that this happens more often to women who take birth control. I stopped taking the pill to find more natural ways of birth control, and because my hair was becoming thin and brittle. I also don't like the stories of the effect hormones are having on our environment (going into groundwater).

Condition / reason:   Birth control
Dosage & duration:   1 a day 35mg pill taken once a day for the period of 19 days
Other drugs taken:   Periactin

Benefits:   It is a good way to prevent pregnancy and I think it keeps my acne under control.
Side effects:   I have no side effects from this. Depo Provera was horrible, and I wasn't to crazy about Yazmin but that's good too. I didn't like the patch either. Mabey my breast have gotten a little meatier but they don't hurt at all. I'm usually affected by birth conrol horribly, but so far this one is great.
Comments:   N/A

Dosage & duration:   1 pill taken each day for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   Prevented pregnancy, completely cleared up my (moderate) acne.
Side effects:   Taking Ortho TRI-Cyclen had a dramatic impact on my moods. I felt slow, distant, and complacent. I felt like a dumbed-down, watered-down version of myself. The physical effects were also disturbing: I developed a dark brown discharge and grew black hairs around my nipples. But the most extreme side effects actually occurred when I went OFF the pill, which I had to attempt twice before I could get through it: I experienced the most severe depression of my life, several week-long, heavy periods, hair loss, and very bad acne.
Comments:   Typical: 1 pill per day.

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 15 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1 pill taken once a day for the period of 1 month

Benefits:   Well, I never had sex without a condom, so I wouldn't really know. But, I guess it would be okay. not many people seem to have many problems with it.
Side effects:   really moody.
Comments:   It's sorta hard to remember to take it, but its alright. I'm really not liking the moodiness though. little things really get on my nerves.

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   Standard (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of It's been 7 months

Benefits:   Highly effective in birth control, actually stopped my daily headaches, made me regular
Side effects:   Extreme mood swings, unpredictable periods of depression/anger. Not only have I experience these drastic out-lashes of extreme anger onto others for no logical reason, my friend, also on the pill, experienced the same effect. She's stopped taking it, but I can't for fear of being unprotected.
Comments:   One pill a day for 21 days before a 7 day placebo.

Condition / reason:   pregnancy prevention
Dosage & duration:   1 pill daily taken daily for the period of 3 months so far
Other conditions:   Anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Lexapro

Benefits:   Benefits were the prevention of pregnancy, regular periods, shorter periods, and less intense pms symptoms. My breasts went from a full C cup to a full D cup! I'm on lexapro so that might be the reason i didn't experience really bad mood swings or any depression like some people said they have. Nothing really changed other than that and it's great to know when i will get my period.
Side effects:   For the first month of taking ortho tri cyclen i was a little moody. When my period started the first month i was very moody but that only lasted about 3 days. The second month of my period my pms calmed down and now i have no mood swings and only one day of cramps.
Comments:   I take the sunday start pills everyday in the afternoon.

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   contraceptive
Dosage & duration:   1 pill daily taken every day/ every month for the period of years

Benefits:   Prevented pregnancy, helped clear mild skin breakouts, keeps the menstrual cycle on a specific schedule, can alter cycle by having doctor let you know how to change your intake pattern for the pills.
Side effects:   decreased libido, dryness, breast tenderness,
Comments:   take one pill daily to prevent pregnancy - must be taken at roughly the same time every day to be effective.

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth Control/period regularity
Dosage & duration:   28 day pack/1 pill per day taken once a day for the period of 2 yrs

Benefits:   Prevention of pregnancy, acne control, regularity of periods. Took 2 years straight and never got pregnant. Face had no acne problems whatsoever, very clear. Periods were on time, usually run 5 to 7 days, but while taking the pill I knew when my period was getting ready to begin. When I wasn't on the pill I was irregular and spotted often.
Side effects:   Severe headaches, nausea, increase in appetite, heavy weight gain. My head hurt a lot. I would have to take pain killers just to get through my work day. Sometime when I come home I'd have to lay down. I often felt sick to the stomach late nights or early morning and would be forced to eat something like a pregnant woman. Doing this regularly caused me to gain weight.
Comments:   28 day pack, 1 pill a day for prevention of pregnancy. Prescribed 28 pills to take once a day for a year supply through my doctor till the next annual exam.

Condition / reason:   Birth prevention
Dosage & duration:   Medium (dosage frequency: once everyday) for the period of 5 1/2 Months
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   Although this type of birth control has more cons than pros, it did help with my cramps. It's also effective with the prevention of pregnancy. (Along with use of condoms as well)
Side effects:   Heavy Cycle, Cramps, Hot Flashes, Fatigue, Long Lasting Cycles. It's only been 5 1/2 months, but i'm concidering changing to a different bc. This is my first time using any kind of bc, unfortunately due to the constant hassel, i'm not happy with the results.
Comments:   I Hate This Birth Control, I Would Not Suggest This To Anyone.

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Regulate periods
Dosage & duration:   0.180/0.025 (dosage frequency: 1x daily) for the period of 8 years
Other drugs taken:   Multivitamin

Benefits:   When I first began taking the pill my periods were regulated and I did not cramp nearly as much.
Side effects:   Bloating/weight gain, swollen hands/ankles, unable to wear contact lenses, decreased sex drive, moodiness, depression, breast enlargenment, headaches, diarrhea... the list goes on and on.
Comments:   Since I have finally found out that bcp have been causing me so many problems I have decided to d/c use of them. The pill worked for the past 4 years, but the last 4 have been unbearable! I am quitting bcp ASAP!

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 21 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Heavy Periods
Dosage & duration:   35mg taken once a day for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   - Very light periods - Very predictable periods - Very short periods - No PMS
Side effects:   I have found none besides it took 3 months to fully kick in. This birth control is the best out of the other 3 i have tried.
Comments:   I would recommend to anyone of any age. My doctor prescribed me birth control last summer because of my heavy periods and i was very anemic, and i was like no thank you and she said try it out i am so glad she pushed me to do so.

Ortho TRI-Cyclen review by 21 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   Not sure (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   N/A

Benefits:   I felt great. Highly effective at preventing pregnancy. My skin looked decent while on the pill as well. I had a doctor tell me once that this pill was one the best birth controls to use. I agree, seeing as I am the patient. Its always nice to know when to expect your period :)
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I took one pill a day, everday, for 2 years.

Condition / reason:   Birth Control method
Dosage & duration:   1 pill a day taken once a day for the period of 1 year and going
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   -Prevented pregnancy perfectly -Enlarged breasts -Regulated periods -Lighter flow during menstrual cycle -Cleared skin for (moderate) acne
Side effects:   For the first month, there was slight depression/moodiness, but that may have been due to the fact my body was adjusting to being on birth control
Comments:   I've been on Ortho TRI-Cyclen for a year now, and have had little to no problems with it. Before going on the pill, I would have awfully irregular periods, and very bad cramps the first day of my cycle. Since going on it, my periods have become light, and regular. My breast have gotten larger, and my skin has cleared up. This pill is great! This being said, my results may have been so wonderful because I make ABSOLUTELY sure that I take it EVERYDAY at the SAME TIME. Wonderful pill, great side affects after the first month moodiness clears up. Just be sure to always take it everyday at the same time.