Omnicef (Cefdinir) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Omnicef (Cefdinir) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 12 ratings/reviews, Omnicef has an overall score of 1.83. The effectiveness score is 6.50 and the side effect score is 2.83. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Omnicef review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   sore throat
Dosage & duration:   300 mg taken twice a day for the period of 10 days

Benefits:   The treatment cured the sore throat for which it was perscribed.
Side effects:   During the 10 days taking the drug there were no side effects, however the day after the last dosage, I began having severe diarrhea, which persisted and was diagnosed as a bacterial infection called clostridium difficil, caused by the antibiotic I had taken.
Comments:   I took omnicef orally for 10 days. After the clostridium difficil was diagnosed, I had to start a new course of drugs which had to be repeated before the new infection/condition was cured.

Omnicef review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   sore throat
Dosage & duration:   300 mg taken twice a day for the period of 10 days

Benefits:   The treatment cured the sore throat for which it was perscribed.

Omnicef review by 57 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Sinusitis
Dosage & duration:   300 Mg taken 2 daily for the period of 2 days
Other conditions:   Cough
Other drugs taken:   Nasonex

Benefits:   Cleared sinusitis very quickly. Ended a hacking cough after about a day as well.
Side effects:   Vomiting, abdominal pain, sweating profusely, bloating, nausea, fever, severe diarrhea. I was so concerned about the effects--they came at night--that I contemplated taking myself to an emergency room.
Comments:   Had a delayed reaction to medication. Really severe effects came on only after two days' treatment. I have had gastric upsets as a response to previous antibiotics (CEFLEX), but never anything like this.

Omnicef review by care giver of 1 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   ear infection
Dosage & duration:   5 ml (1 tsp) (dosage frequency: twice daily) for the period of 7 days

Benefits:   I had to stop the medicine because of the side effects and he got sicker (I know you aren't supposed to stop antibiotics for this exact reason). He ended up on another antibiotic that worked well.
Side effects:   He's one year old, and his mood changed drastically. He became agressive and mean. Clenching his fists, growling, hitting his sister and pulling her hair and being totally uncooperative were our everyday behaviors. He is normally a laid back, sweet child. The pediatrition disagrees and says it wasn't the medicine, but I know it was.
Comments:   He was supposed to take it for 10 days, but the behavior was out of control, so the pediatrition told me to stop it for 24 hours and see if the behavior changed. I stopped on day 7 and within 18 hours, he started to improve- within 24 hours he was almost back to normal. The pediatrition and pharmacist both say that it doesn't go to the brain, and therefore can't cause behavior changes, but SOMETHING in that drug definitely effected him. I know my child and I watched him very carefully, I KNOW it was the antibiotic. I won't be using it again for either of my children.

Omnicef review by care giver of 7 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   ear infection
Dosage & duration:   6ml (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 10 days

Benefits:   It appeared to attack infection quickly.
Side effects:   We have tried this medication twice now due to ENT recommendation and both times have seen major behavioral changes. Usually around the second day our son has become very aggressive and uncontrollable. After stopping within a day or two he returns to normal.
Comments:   Son has been on several antibiotics but this one has seemed to cause major behavioral changes. He became irritable, aggressive and uncontrollable. If you use this for your child please stay aware.

Omnicef review by 20 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   sinus infection
Dosage & duration:   300mg every 12 hrs taken every 12hrs for the period of 10 days,i stopped it at 1.5 days
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   read details
Side effects:   read detals
Comments:   I had been blowing my nose and itchin my throught frequently.so i went to a docter in 2008 and they said i grew into having "allergies"....which was strange cus i had never had allergies before.i took the medicine they gave me which calmed the itchy throat but did not cure it! so 2010 comes where i have better insurance now and i went to a doctor had some xrays done andi was told i had a sinus infection.....i started the cedfiner on a satuarday night.but sunday after noon,i was miserable,congested,coughing,sneezing,and a little sniffle.....by 12am that night,i was contimplating on going to the hospital.by 4am i was in the e.r....my feet had swollen.my sinus/nose area under my eyes were red and swollen,eyes were dry and red.nose just kept running chronicley.naseaus,dry throat,head ache,stomach cramps.urinating 3x a hour for a few hours.my ears felt soar in the inside,as if they were swollen........the medication was horribbbleee.but the docter had gave me another antibotic when i went to the e.r.......im scared to take it.so i stopped the medication after 3 capsules.i stoped the medication and its been 36hrs,i feel weak,feel chills through my body,dry throat,no taste buds,no scents,ears feel like i just got off of a plane,joints are sore......i do NOT recommend this medication to anyone of the human kind

Omnicef review by care giver of 5 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   strep throat
Dosage & duration:   13cc suposed to be 6cc (dosage frequency: recommended) for the period of 3 days
Other conditions:   twitching of eyes

Benefits:   very upset
Side effects:   first twitching of eyes went into body tremors than to seizures
Comments:   after noticing eyes twitching went back to peditrican said it was something else called pandas associated with strep throat but sympthoms got worse going to hospital because of having seizure like episodes took off medicine we nt away for 2 years but are still suffering from effects of seizure like episodes but neurologist exams say not seizures but dont know what they are i still believe it was the drug all started with the overdose brenda n son

Omnicef review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Strep Throat
Other drugs taken:   Synthroid

Benefits:   Cleared upper respitory infection and strep throat
Side effects:   Yeast infection, hives, and overall skin sensitivity from clothing and certain foods, still unknown, trigger hives...simple things like wine, goldfish, lactaid milk, pancakes, eggs, bread, nuts, strawberries.
Comments:   The antibiotic significantly diminishes the immune system, allowing severe sensitivity to take over body and consumes productivity of your overall life. After four months, I still flare up from simple triggers and makes life pretty much stagnant.

Omnicef review by care giver of 5 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Strep Throat
Dosage & duration:   Not Sure (dosage frequency: 2x a day) for the period of 7 days

Benefits:   This drug worked as a treatment for strep throat.
Side effects:   Behavioral changes including extreme irritability and aggressiveness. While these changes started while taking Omnicef, they continued for months afterward. My daughter also developed food sensitivities. From careful observation, I surmise that this drug caused severe inflammation in her gut that we are treating with probiotics.
Comments:   We are seeing some improvement with avoiding foods such as milk and egg as well as diligently taking probiotics and vitamin c.

Omnicef review by 1 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   sore throat ear infections
Dosage & duration:   3 ml twice daily (dosage frequency: 3 days) for the period of 3 days
Other conditions:   restless agitated aggressive

Benefits:   don't know yet back to pediatrician today
Side effects:   My one year old daughter who has an awesome disposition (and always has) became restless and agitated. Very touchy, aggressive, crying a lot, and having a hard time sleeping. Also refluxing a lot and not nursing normally. It just dawned on me this morning it must be the medication. Will request another antibiotic today from the pediatrician.
Comments:   Thanks

Omnicef review by 18 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Severe sore throat with pus, and ear pain on same
Dosage & duration:   300 MG taken every 12 hours for the period of 10 days
Other conditions:   Hypothyroid, Allergic to Penicillin
Other drugs taken:   Dexamethasone and Rocephin.

Benefits:   Sore throat considerably better
Side effects:   Constant nausea even with food, extremely cold, Extreme Dizziness, Hard to sleep, Severe shaking and weakness, fever, frequent need to urinate
Comments:   I'm only on my second day and third dose, I'm taking this with 3 days, 2 times a day, 4 MG dose of Dexamethasone and I had a large shot of Rocephin

Omnicef review by care giver of 3 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Sinus infection
Dosage & duration:   5 ml 1x daily for 10 days (dosage frequency: once a day after breakfast) for the period of 3 doses total

Benefits:   This drug was prescribed because my daughter has had adverse side effects from penicillin based antibiotics (trunk rash/hives from amoxicillin for an ear infection). She had a sinus infection that we couldn't get rid of with natural remedies (salt water flush, tea, elevated sleeping) so we went the antibiotic route.
Side effects:   Her side effects were almost immediate thoug it took my husband and I 3 doses (3 days) to figure it out. For an almost three year old, her moods were fairly predictable. She was irritable when she was hungry, tired, or needed to poop. But about 24 hours after her first dose of Cefdinir! Her moods drastically changed to violent, out-of-control, scary, temper tantrums. To the point where she was biting herself, Banging her head on the wall and hitting and kicking us with all her might. And when we would try and stop her, it was like she didn't recognize us and would get scared and cry. It was disturbing and very upsetting for us a parents. We started doing research the next day and little info on the drug except for druglib.com and the official side effect page. We found drastic mood changes buried in the side effects information and discontinued use. Our doctor didn't seem that concerned even after we explained the scary details. He prescribed aZ Pack for her symptoms and she has been fine ever since (we have a new doctor now though).
Comments:   Our daughter completed her treatment with a z pack.