Nuvaring (Etonogestrel / Ethinyl Estradiol Vaginal Ring) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Nuvaring reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 27 ratings/reviews, Nuvaring has an overall score of 6.44. The effectiveness score is 9.41 and the side effect score is 6.81. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Nuvaring review by 29 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Contraception
Dosage & duration:   Single (dosage frequency: once a month) for the period of six months

Benefits:   Required only one application per month, rather than having to take a pill everyday. Was also a lower dosage than the pill, which seems better. Because it is not ingested there was no nausea.
Side effects:   Lower doses can lead to a slight increase in PMS symptoms such as cramping, but these can be combated with mild pain relievers. Sometimes can be felt during intercourse.
Comments:   A plastic ring which releases hormones over a period of three weeks to provide contraceptive benefits. It is inserted into the vagina after your period, left for three weeks and then removed to allow for the next period.

Condition / reason:   Contraceptive
Dosage & duration:   1 Ring (dosage frequency: once a month) for the period of For about 2 years

Benefits:   Treatment benefits were pregnancy prevention and regulation of menstrual cycle.
Side effects:   There were no know side effects caused by the treatment. I was very happy with the absence of side effects and the overall simplicity of the drug.
Comments:   The NuvaRing was inserted once a month and kept in place for three weeks. After the third week, the ring was removed so that a menstrual cycle could ensue. After 7 day, a new ring was inserted. There was no pain associated with the insertion or removal of the ring, nor was there any discomfort during sexual intercourse. Overall I am very pleased with the NuvaRing and will continue to use it until I decide to become pregnant.

Nuvaring review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Heavy period
Dosage & duration:   One ring per month (dosage frequency: once per month inserted in the vagina) for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   My bleading slowed.
Side effects:   My peroid lasted 9 days. My personality also changed, I was very irritable and angry.
Comments:   Used for heavy bleading due to fibroids.

Nuvaring review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   birth control
Dosage & duration:   1 every 4 weeks (dosage frequency: every 4 weeks) for the period of still taking it
Other conditions:   NONE
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   THE NUVARING HAS PROVEN TO BE VERY EFFECTIVE FOR ME. I HAVE HAD A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH BIRTH CONTROL THROUGHOUT MY LIFE. HAVING TRIED MANY IF NOT ALL POSSIBLE BIRTH CONTROL TREATMENTS, I BELIEVE THIS IS THE ONE THAT WORKS THE BEST FOR ME. IT IS PRACTICAL AND VERY FEW SIDE EFFECTS WHEN COMPARED TO THE ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES, IUDs OR INJECTIONS.
Side effects:   SO FAR, I HAVE ONLY EXPERIENCED HEADACHES AROUND THE TIME WHEN I TAKE OUT MY RING.
Comments:   IT IS VERY EASY TO USE, YOU INSERT IT IN THE VAGINA, IT STAYS IN FOR 3 WEEKS AND TAKE IT OUT FOR ONE TO HAVE YOUR PERIOD. THEN PUT A NEW ONE IN. VERY EASY TO USE AND THE PARTNER DOES NOT FEEL DISCOMFORT DUE TO THE RING.

Condition / reason:   Acne and birth control
Dosage & duration:   one ring inserted monthly (dosage frequency: once a month) for the period of 4 months

Benefits:   I switched from Diane 35, a birth control pills recommended specifically for acne and was very worried that the nuva ring would cause an acne flair up, as switching from Diane to Yasmine had. Fortunately my skin stayed just as clear and as a plus no more taking pills nightly
Side effects:   slight vaginal irritation at the end of a cycle, nothing even moderately serious though.
Comments:   Nuva Ring is a brand name birth control method which releases hormones through the vaginal walls. You insert a flexible plastic ring once a month for three weeks and it acts as birth control.

Nuvaring review by 36 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   One per month (dosage frequency: once per month) for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Birth control
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I kept forgetting to take my daily birth control pill, so my doctor prescribed the Nuvaring. I put it in once, take it out in 3 to 4 weeks, and put a new one in a week later (after menstruation). I don't forget anymore and have no worries about an unwanted pregnancy.

Condition / reason:   birth control
Dosage & duration:   once a month (dosage frequency: monthly) for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   I didn't get pregnant, because at the time, I didn't want to have another baby.
Side effects:   I gained a TON of weight, I've been off of the NuvaRing for over a year now, my period is still very speratic and random and I can't seem to get pregnant. With my first baby, I got pregnant immediately, within only a month of trying and now, I can't get pregnant. My periods come along once every 3 to 6 months and are extremely severe, lasting for well over a week and are very heavy. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT!!!
Comments:   I followed the doctors instructions perfectly.

Nuvaring review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   birth control
Dosage & duration:   1 each month (dosage frequency: once a month) for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   Prevention of pregnancy. I used to insert in my vagina the nuvaring and I had my period just in time. I always knew what day my period was coming.
Side effects:   Headaches..cramping..nausea...dizzines
Comments:   One ring once a month. I had to keep the ring for three weeks in my vagina and then take it out to get my period three days after. I had to insert a new ring in the fourth week.

Nuvaring review by 36 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   birth control
Dosage & duration:   only one dose exists (dosage frequency: 1 per cycle) for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   not having to worry about taking a pill every day, but simply putting it in forgetting about it for 3 weeks and then take it out and be without for a week. simply doesn't get any easier than that.
Side effects:   for about 4 days i have minor flow
Comments:   simply putting it in forgetting about it for 3 weeks and then take it out and be without for a week. simply doesn't get any easier than that.

Nuvaring review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   One Ring (dosage frequency: once a month) for the period of 2 Months and Still

Benefits:   Ability to have benefits of birth control in the convenience of a ring, that allows freedom from worrying about taking a pill and an unwanted pregnancy.
Side effects:   My first week with the ring I experienced extreme nausea, upset stomach and a tremendous decrease in appetite. These symptoms slowly faded as the weeks passed. Now the only side effects I notice are a less than normal appetite and occasional vaginal irritation, but nothing to painful or bothersome that I feel the need to seek medical treatment.
Comments:   I'm married, I have both a full & part time job and I'm enrolled 15 hrs in school. The ONE LESS STRESS of NOT having to worry about birth control let's me focus on what's important right now. This is my method of choice and will be until I decide I'm ready for children. Nuvaring is reliable... you can't really mess it up. The fact that I don't have to worry about a little pill everyday makes my quality of life better. I have the Nuvaring timer, which you can order from the website, that aids in reminding me that it's time, whether it be insertion or removal, and can be reset for whatever day you choose for insertion. I can see how one might forget they even have it in them. I do not feel it, my husband cannot feel it, and it has not fallen out, like several other women have claimed. I'm very pleased with this and hope that it works as well for others as it has for me.

Condition / reason:   birth control
Dosage & duration:   once every month (dosage frequency: evry 4 months) for the period of two years

Benefits:   birth control made easy only once a month
Side effects:   i was nauseaus the fist cuple of months but then the symptoms disapered and it also helped control my period irregularity.
Comments:   WEAR THE RING 3 WEEKS IN A ROW AND REMOVE THE WEEK OF YOUR PERIOD AND INSERT A NEW RING THE FIRST SUNDAY AFTER YOUR PERIOD.

Condition / reason:   birth control
Dosage & duration:   used for one month at a time (dosage frequency: once a month) for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   I did not need to take a pill everyday. There were less side effects compared to the amount in other birth controls. My painful cramps went away.
Side effects:   I gained weight, had migraines, and I had mood swings.
Comments:   Although I did not enjoy the side effects of this birth control, it has been the best method I have tried. Very easy to use and it helps for when you have forgetful tendencies.

Condition / reason:   pregnancy
Dosage & duration:   1 (dosage frequency: everyday) for the period of everyday

Benefits:   I have not gotten pregnate while using, and I can usually not tell the ring is there.
Side effects:   I had a severe headache that lasted a week. Vaginal iching. Loss of sexual desire.
Comments:   Insert one ring for three weeks, then take out for one week. I do know someone with a blood clot that could've lead to a stroke or heartattack while using.

Nuvaring review by 19 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth control/ regular periods.
Dosage & duration:   1 ring (dosage frequency: 1x/month) for the period of about 8 months so far
Other conditions:   Cystic Fibrosis, Diabetes, Asthma
Other drugs taken:   Too many to list.

Benefits:   I have been very happy to have a period on time every month. It gives me the reassurance that I'm not pregnant because usually my periods would be almost half a month to a month late. Also, I have yet to become pregnant, but I still use additional protection at all times.
Side effects:   None. I don't understand how it could bring about side effects really. It doesn't cause weight gain. If you gain weight on this, it's your own fault for eating too much! =] The only thing I can think of is when I go to the bathroom it comes out a bit, but nothing that can't be fixed immediately. Never come completely out yet without me physically removing it.
Comments:   Simple. I would 100% recommend this.

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   one ring (dosage frequency: once a month) for the period of 18 months

Benefits:   Nuvaring is so easy for my because I never have to worry if I forgot to take my pill. I am very forgetful and this has been a great choice for birth control.
Side effects:   I haven't had any at all.
Comments:   Once a month you insert the ring vaginally and leave it there for 3 weeks, replace after your period is over.

Nuvaring review by 18 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   1 ring (dosage frequency: every 4 weeks) for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   Easy to use. Highly effective.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Nuvaring is a very easy to use method of birth control. Even though the instructions advise you to take the ring out for three weeks, and have a ring week free after, my OB/GYN recommended that I leave it in for four weeks and on the day the ring should go back in just put a new one in. I only have my period every three months on this method, and have not experienced any side effects.

Nuvaring review by 18 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   prevent pregnancy
Dosage & duration:   once a month (dosage frequency: once a year) for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   had a more regular period, knew that i would be getting my period 2 days after i took the ring out. could leave the ring in longer if i wanted to and delay my period. did not feel it at all during any activity. never fell out.
Side effects:   i feel as if i get headaches more, and pissed off more. didnt realize it til now that my sex drive has gone down, nastier period. but overall i like it
Comments:   ...

Condition / reason:   Pregnancy Prevention
Dosage & duration:   1 Ring (dosage frequency: once a month) for the period of 9 months

Benefits:   I had lighter periods and never felt the ring inside of me during intercourse or during my every day life.
Side effects:   Vaginal irritation, decreased sexual desire, constant yeast infections
Comments:   Within the first two weeks that I started using Nuvaring my sexual desire decreased and it became very difficult to get aroused. This had never happened to me before and as soon as I stopped using the ring it became easier to get aroused. I also had constant yeast infections while taking this drug. Before I started Nuvaring I had never in my life had one. While on it, I must have had at least six. I have been off of the ring now for three months and have not had one. Although I have seen few people make this claim, I swear that there is a connection.

Condition / reason:   birth control
Dosage & duration:   1 ring per month (dosage frequency: every month) for the period of a year

Benefits:   very effective birth control, nice not to take pill every day, couldnt feel it while it was inserted, except when exercising.
Side effects:   loss of willpower and motivation, depression, mood swings, high loss of sexual desire, loss of vaginal lubrication, energy loss. I stayed on the ring for a year and recently went off it and within a few days couldnt believe how happy i felt and how my energy went up i had sexual desire motivation and willpower. About two months of being off it i decided to try it again, the last 2 weeks have been horrible im so depressed instantly, i can hardly get out of bed i want to sleep all day and night, cant control my eating and emotions. I have never had problems with depression i am very happy and sucessful, cant believe the mental effects of this birth control, horrible. I wont continue using it.
Comments:   insert one ring for 3 weeks, remove for one week and insert new ring for another 3 weeks

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   Regular (dosage frequency: insert for 3 weeks, remove for 1 week) for the period of 8 months

Benefits:   Did not get pregnant, regular periods.
Side effects:   Unbeleivable mood swings, 360 degree different in mood. Made me extremely irratable and angry all the time. Little things would make me exploid in anger, made my mood very negative. This is very abnormal, I'm usually very happy and positive but people around me began to notice how negatively this affected my day to day outlook.
Comments:   Insert for 3 weeks, remove for 1 week.

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   insert 1X leave for 3 weeks, remove 4th (dosage frequency: insert 1x leave for 3 weeks, remove 4th) for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   GERD & Motility Disorder
Other drugs taken:   Aciphex & Hyomax

Benefits:   Very easy birth control method. You don't have to worry about taking a pill every day. Day to day I can't feel it at all and my husband can't either. Stays in place.
Side effects:   I've been more moody the past few weeks. I have also experince increased nausea. My GERD has acted up as well. My husband cannot feel it and normally I can't either, but "while in use" It has been pinching me. I'm hoping these side effects will go away if I continue use.
Comments:   none

Nuvaring review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pregnancy prevention, cycle regulation
Dosage & duration:   One ring for 3 weeks, one week out (dosage frequency: one ring for 3 weeks, one week out) for the period of 1 month

Benefits:   I don't have to worry about forgetting to take a pill or a condom breaking. I have had no vaginal dryness,my sex drive is still the same (high), no cramping, matter of fact, I was cramping very badly the day that I started the ring and within an hour of insertion, my cramps went away. I actually had blood clots before I started the ring, and now my periods are so much more lighter so I am not clotting at all. :) Also, my period duration has been cut in half from 5-7 days to 3 or 3.5 days. I think it's AWESOME!! My partner does not feel it at all and we have it enthusiastically (vigorously)!
Side effects:   I had a very bad headache for about a week, but it's ok now. I had a sinus infection last week, and I thought it was from it being springtime, but then I read that sinus infections could be a side effect. I felt pretty awful last week and wanted to sleep a lot. I am still not sure if it was just allergies or not.
Comments:   I feel sorry for the women who have had negative side effects with the Nuvaring. So far so good, so I am sticking to it!!

Nuvaring review by 46 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   Standard NuvaRing Insert (dosage frequency: inserted once each month) for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   None
Side effects:   Within 2 months, I developed deep vein thrombosis in my left leg and pulmonary emboli in my lungs. Multiple blood clots in my lungs almost killed me. I was lucky to live because the clot lodged in parts of my lungs that were not fatal.
Comments:   Doctor inserted the NuvaRing during the office visit. No literature was provided so was not given the easy opportunity to read about side effects. There was no discussion with the doctor about side effects.

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   1 ring per month (dosage frequency: every month) for the period of 4 months

Benefits:   It was nice to not have to worry about a pill every day, you can put one ring in and then don't have to worry about it for 3 weeks.
Side effects:   I noticed that I felt really down around month two of taking in, my mood swings were severe, I felt tired ALL THE TIME. I could also feel the ring during sex and it frequently came out during sex.
Comments:   ALthough it is convenient, it almost defeats the purpose of birth control if you have to worry all the time that the ring is going to come out. also, mood swings and feelings of tiredness were almost unbearable. would not recommend it.

Nuvaring review by 22 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Irregularity/No Babies!
Dosage & duration:   1 ring (dosage frequency: one every 4 weeks) for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   First of all- no babies! So it's effective. It also slowed my periods a lot, i had heavy bleeding and severe cramping before, and now I have a 4 day period with cramping usually only on the first day. It has kept my skin SO clear, and it's almost too easy. Just mark your calendar for the third sunday after insertion, and that's when it comes out!
Side effects:   I don't know if many people have had this, or maybe it's just a coincidence that it started at the same time, but i have developed irritable bowel syndrome since using it. Also, I can't ever seem to get it in far enough, it's always slipping down. It is felt TOO much during sex, so i have to remove it everytime. It's painful for us both if left in. I sometimes feel mentally unstable and can't remember if I felt this before.
Comments:   Put it in on sunday, three sundays from then you take it out. You'll start your period on wednesday, then put a new one in that following sunday. TOO EASY!

Nuvaring review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   I kept getting pregnant. No more stairs.... PLEASE
Dosage & duration:   5 (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of one week
Other conditions:   NONE
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   Never got pregnant
Side effects:   My dosage was so high that at the end of a week I couldn't fit any more up there. My boyfriend couldn't get his member inside of me, and when he finally did it gave him severe gouges on his shaft. It caused me to stop eating, and when I did I just threw it up... It caused me to become violent, I even struck my boyfriend a few times during an argument. I was on my period the entire week, the bleeding just wouldn't stop. It was horrible. Not to mention, the pain I felt inside of my vagina was tremendous. I could hardly sit down by the end of the week. I do not recommend that anyone believes this.
Comments:   I used five rings daily, before every intimate encounter. Ouch!

Nuvaring review by 21 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Birth Control
Dosage & duration:   One Ring Every 3 Weeks/Month (dosage frequency: one ring every 3 weeks/month) for the period of For 7 Months

Benefits:   No Mood Swings, Easy Birth Control Method..It was very convenient not having to take a pill everyday.
Side effects:   I had at least 10 yeast infections while using the Nuvaring. I had never had a yeast infection before, nor have I ever had problems getting rid of a yeast infection. I believe the ring was the culprit.
Comments:   I went to my doctor to complain about the yeast infections. It seemed like every time I inserted a new NuvaRing, I got a yeast infection. She told me to use Monistat, and see if that works. It worked for a week, but then I developed another yeast infection. I went back to my doctor/gyno. She prescribed me Diflucan, an antifungal pill taken by mouth. I was to take 1 pill every time I started a new ring. I still had yeast infections. My doctor then advised me to take the Diflucan every other day for 3 days after starting a new ring. No improvement. She then prescribed me a vaginal cream containing steroids and an anti-inflammatory. I gave up - the next time I went to the doctor, I had her prescribe me a new birth control. I'm back on the pill, Loeastrin24FE. Haven't had a yeast infection since the switch off the nuvaring.