Nexium (Esomeprazole) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Nexium (Esomeprazole) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 37 ratings/reviews, Nexium has an overall score of 7.86. The effectiveness score is 8.70 and the side effect score is 9.03. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Nexium review by 37 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acid Reflux/Chronic Bronchitis
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken daily for the period of 4 months
Other conditions:   Pancreatitis, PND
Other drugs taken:   Advair and a nose spray (the one with the bee on the commercial)

Benefits:   I found that it did nothing for my acid reflux. Only after I changed how, what and when I ate did I recieve instant relief from both the acid reflux and the chronic bronchitis.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I was hospitalized for pancreatitis and that's when the coughing started. The pancreatitis subsided but the coughing worsened, especially at night. I was diagnosed with acid reflux and "hyperinflated lungs", whatever that means. The coughing would keep me up all night. I saw both an allergist and a pulmonologist; the allergist prescribed Nexium and the pulmonologist prescribed Advair, the nasal spray with the bee spokesperson, and an inhaler that made me so jittery that I did not sleep for an entire night when I took it. He also prescribed a codeine syrup that make me incredibly sick to my stomach. I hated being on all those meds. I did some research and decided to modify the size and content of my dinner, and eat it earlier in the evening. No more snacking or ice cream after dinner. My symptoms immediately stopped. I took myself off all meds and never went back to those doctors -- I had no need to.

Nexium review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Esophogeal strictures
Dosage & duration:   1 capsule daily taken daily for the period of on and off for 1 year

Benefits:   It relieved the actual pain of my inflammed stricture
Side effects:   none
Comments:   Taken at the same time daily

Nexium review by 43 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40 MG taken once a day for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   Asthma
Other drugs taken:   albuteral as needed

Benefits:   Prior to taking Nexium I had continuous GERD. I took every type of antacid over the counter. In addition I had more episodes of Asthma and cystitis. Whenever I had extreme heartburn I would also get the other 2 problems mentioned above.
Side effects:   I have not had any side effects with this medicine, however I worry about it's long-term use and possible future side effects.
Comments:   I was first prescribed this medicine by my family practitioner. In order to get a refill on the medication, I had to go to a GI doctor and be scoped. My GI stated that I could be on this medicine indefinitely. Whenever I forget to take the medicine my GERD returns the next day, along with the other problems.

Condition / reason:   ACID REFLUX
Dosage & duration:   100 GMS (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 90 DAYS
Other conditions:   NONE
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   NO MORE HEART BURN OR ACID REFLUX
Side effects:   NO SIDE EFFECTS
Comments:   WAS VERY PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS

Condition / reason:   acid reflux
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken once daily before breakfast for the period of 2 weeks so far

Benefits:   The medication eliminated the nausea/stomach upset. Added benefit was weight loss because I could stop using food to settle my stomach.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   Just took one capsule 1/2 hour before breakfast each morning.

Condition / reason:   Laryngopharyngeal reflux
Dosage & duration:   40mg qd taken once a day for the period of 10 years
Other conditions:   environmental allergies
Other drugs taken:   allegra

Benefits:   Total resolution of "globus" feeling in throat that was causing difficulty with singing and swallowing. Also, resolution of sore throat and hoarse voice that I had waked up with for many years.
Side effects:   none that I notice, however, there is a study out that indicates that people over 50 who take proton pump inhibitors are more likely to develop osteoporosis. I was diagnosed with osteopenia in my late forties, even though I take calcium and exercise. Then again, I weigh 98 pounds and am very small boned and caucasian so I dont know if the nexium had anything to do with it.
Comments:   I take a purple pill every morning....that is about it!

Nexium review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   gastritis, nausea, fullness
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken 1 for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   low thyroid function
Other drugs taken:   synthroid

Benefits:   reduced nausea from continual to episodic, feeling of fullness decreased
Side effects:   none noted in short term
Comments:   Daily medication first thing in morning prior to eating. Also eliminated citrus fruit, tomotoes, coffee, alcohol, tea, chocolate. After several months was able to add back tomatoes, tea and alcohol. Citrus fruits and juices and coffee still not tolerated. Also enrolled and practice meditation for stress reduction. Unsure of the benefits of this.

Nexium review by 45 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40mg taken 1 a day for the period of year and a half
Other conditions:   hay fever

Benefits:   sore throat healed due to reduction in stomach acid
Side effects:   none
Comments:   not sure

Nexium review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Stomach ulcer
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once daily for the period of four months

Benefits:   Reduced discomfort from ulcer.
Side effects:   Irritability, insomnia.
Comments:   I took Nexium for four months, discontinued it because of side effects.

Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken 1 per day for the period of 1-4 yrs

Benefits:   the treatments benifits are to reduce acid reflux and stop acid from forming in the stomach.
Side effects:   Some side effects were mild headache, and some times a stomach ache.
Comments:   The treatment details were I was diagnosed with acid reflux and esphogitis, this medication is given to heal the esophagus and stop acid reflux.

Condition / reason:   heartburn/GERD
Dosage & duration:   40mg taken 2 times daily for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Complete reduction in heartburn & reflux.
Side effects:   none noted
Comments:   Nexium worked very well for a few years. Then, the daily dosage needed to be increased to twice daily. At twice daily, the same effectiveness has been maintained. It definitely controls the GERD & heartburn. At one point, I tried to come off this medication (to have a more natural lifestyle) this was a huge mistake as I immediately had a return of severe heartburn & reflux.

Condition / reason:   GERD
Dosage & duration:   40 mg once a day taken once a day for the period of have been taking it for about 10 years

Benefits:   complete suppression of heartburn
Side effects:   none
Comments:   I have had GERD for at least 20 years, and have tried lifestyle/dietary changes, over the counter meds and zantac. All helped somewhat, especially zantac, but nexium has proven far more effective.

Nexium review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Indigestion and check pain
Dosage & duration:   1 pill per day taken once a day for the period of once a day
Other conditions:   heartburn
Other drugs taken:   none (only ibuprofen for pain)

Benefits:   The chest pain went away almost immediately. I rarely had heartburn even when I ate spicey foods. Even though I still may have heartburn occasionally, the tightness of my chest and the frequent indigestion has almost completely disappeared. Before I had indigestion at random times during the day, which would cause unexpected chest pains.
Side effects:   I did not experience any side effects. Possibly because I did not the pills on an empty stomache.
Comments:   My doctor asked me to take Nexium once a day until they were gone to see if the tightness in my check, the indigestion, and the heartburn could be cured by the pills. The tightness in the check and indigestion were not signs of heart problems as the doctor discovered. To date, the pills seemed to have worked.

Nexium review by 32 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   acic reflux
Dosage & duration:   one pill taken once a day for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   The treatment benefits are that it has stopped the acid from coming up into my esphogus. I also has benefited from further damage to my esphogus from the acid reflux. I do not have bad breath from the acid and i am no longer horse in my throat when i talk alot. The nexxium has stopped my stomach from producing acid.
Side effects:   After about a couple of months i began to experience severe stomach cramping, bloating, and diareaha. My body is now completely depended on the drug and my understanding is that the pill is telling my body not to produce acid which in turn works harder to produce more, which makes since when i have tried to go off of it my acid reflux was 20 times worse. My body has become completely dependent on the drug.
Comments:   The treatment details were that i did not need to change my diet, but to just take one pill every day and that would take care of my issue with my body producing to much acid.

Nexium review by 46 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   100mg taken 1/day for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   Had absolutely no problem with acid reflux while taking Nexium.
Side effects:   None to speak of. It is recommended to take this drug for only 4-8 weeks but I took it for 3 years with no problems.
Comments:   1 dose per day completely eliminated acid reflux. From Nexium Take this medication by mouth usually once daily at least 1 hour before a meal, or as directed by your doctor. Do not crush or chew the capsule(s). Swallow the capsule(s) whole. If you have difficulty swallowing this medication whole, the capsule may be opened and the contents sprinkled onto soft food (cold applesauce or yogurt), or emptied into a small amount of water, orange juice, or apple juice and taken as directed. Rinse the container with an additional small amount of liquid and drink the contents to make sure the entire dose is taken. Do not chew the food/medication mixture or prepare a supply in advance; this may destroy the drug and/or increase side effects. If needed, antacids may be taken along with this medication. The dosage and length of treatment is based on your medical condition and response to therapy. Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. Remember to use it at the same time each day. Continue to take this medication for the prescribed length of treatment even if you are feeling better. Inform your doctor if your condition persists or worsens.

Nexium review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acid Reflux / Barrett's Esophagus
Dosage & duration:   10mg once a day taken daily for the period of 5+ years, still taking
Other conditions:   Osteoporosis, asthma, high cholesterol
Other drugs taken:   Advair, Singulair, Evista, Lipitor

Benefits:   Pain and heartburn from extreme acid reflux is well controlled, hypersensitivity to certain food is suppressed and Barrett's Esophagus has not progressed.
Side effects:   None that I am aware of.
Comments:   I take Nexium once a day in the morning. If I have a flare up of acid reflux, I will take another at dinner time. The once a day regime generally controls my acid reflux quite well. On the rare occasions when I forget to take Nexium, reflux flares up immediately, so I have good evidence it is responsible for the symptom control.

Condition / reason:   GERD with laryngeal spasms
Dosage & duration:   40 (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   irritable bowel syndrome
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   almost complete elimination of gerd symptoms--reflux,heartburn,nausea,choking spasms, cough. I have also been able to eat a wider variety of foods without discomfort.
Side effects:   Little to no side effects. Occasional stomach discomfort,gas, diarrhea, but these could also be associated with irritable bowel syndrome. All in all, very few problems with this medication compared to its benefits.
Comments:   Previously took Losec, but continued to have problems with choking spasms, which became increasingly distressing. The doctor prescribed Nexium at a lower dose, 30 mg., which helped but did not eliminate symptoms. Increased to 40, and have been happy with this dose ever since. The doctor tried reducing it once, but I had a choking spasm within two weeks, so we increased it again. She was a little concerned about risk of osteoporosis, but bone density tests have been normal.

Condition / reason:   Hiatal hernia
Dosage & duration:   40 MG taken once daily for the period of 7 years
Other conditions:   hypertension
Other drugs taken:   Atacand HCT

Benefits:   Control of high blood pressure. Taken in addition to Cartia XT once daily to control high blood pressure. The hydrochlorothiazide (HCT) increases the amount of urine removing salt and excess water to help lower high blood pressure.
Side effects:   Dizziness, lightheadedness, and blurred vision.
Comments:   For Atacand HCT take one pill by mouth every morning. For Cartia XT take one capsule by mouth every evening.

Nexium review by 41 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   active chronic gastritis
Dosage & duration:   once a day 30 min before dinner (dosage frequency: 1 per day) for the period of since february till december

Benefits:   20 percent reduction of ulcer wounds in 4 months medication. Initially it was prescribe for 6 weeks (Feb 2008) but had no effects with the ulcer. The endoscoopy procedure revealed that the wounds became bigger and more inflamed. The medication was continued for another 6 weeks till June 2008. Slight improvement after 12 weeks of medication- The doctor recommends 6 months medication till the next endoscopy (till Dec. 2008) with the expectation that the ulcers will heal.
Side effects:   mild to mederate stomach ache
Comments:   the medication has to continue for another 6 months (till dec 2008)- healing of ulcer is not significant-

Nexium review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   heartburn
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once a day for the period of life long

Benefits:   no more heartburn, was able to eat without experiencing any further heartburn or reflux. will take the product as a long term solution to acid reflux
Side effects:   none, experienced no noticable side effects or discomfort, no more reflux or heartburn was very happy with the ddrug will keep oj using it
Comments:   nexium 20mg before meals, at least 20 min before each meal. can be taken before all meals with no bad effects. has long lasting effects

Nexium review by 52 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   400 mg taken once a day for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   high blood pessure
Other drugs taken:   vesicare

Benefits:   After I started taking the medicine at the proper time of day, I no longer had to sit up to sleep. No longer have acid backup into my throat or throw up. As long as I didnt eat especially fatty or rich foods after 9 pm I was able to have a good sleep.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   take one pill every morning, do not eat fatty foods or rich foods especially later in the day. Important to take the medicine early in the day, when I first started taking the medicine I wasnt told that and I didnt see much a change in the heartburn or other symptoms.After a couple months the doctor on a followup visit avised me to take them in the morning before I eat anything. That made a huge difference in how effective the drug was on my system.

Nexium review by 30 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   acid reflux
Dosage & duration:   one pill taken one a day for the period of currently taking for 3 years

Benefits:   The stop of acid relux symptoms. The stop of uncomfortable feelings in my esphogus. The burning feeling and sensation. Able to eat what i want when i want.
Side effects:   my stomach cramps up from the medicine. I also seem to be unable to handle beef products and milk. My stomach is not digesting them since being on nexium. I also experience head aches as it is one of the side effects.
Comments:   I am to take one a day every night before i go to bed so i don't experience acid reflux during the night. Which is a common time for the acid to come up in my esphogus and damage it.

Nexium review by 39 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   40 mg/kg taken once daily for the period of 4 weeks

Benefits:   Acid reflux stopped, I am told that the damage done by the effluxed acid will be healed. But I am not sure if this drug really strengthens the sphincter such that acid reflux is stopped. Nexium mainly reduces acid production, but does is stop the efflux is yet to be seen based on the results after stopping the treatment.
Side effects:   Halitosis - Bad breath from day - 2
Comments:   Excellent in treating GERD.

Nexium review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   GERD (Gastroesophogeal Reflux Disease)
Dosage & duration:   40 MG taken once daily for the period of One month
Other conditions:   Allergies
Other drugs taken:   Flonase

Benefits:   I had suffered from daily acid reflux for approximately 4 or 5 months. Sometimes the reflux was so severe that I could not sleep. I changed my diet and tried many drugs, including ranitidine, Prilosec and Pepcid AC--none of whic helped. Although Nexium is very similar to Prilosec in its formulation, for some reason Nexium allowed my esophageal lining to heal and after a one month treatment, my heartburn is much better as long as I continue to watch my diet.
Side effects:   With Prilosec, I occasionally had stomach cramping and nausea, but I did not experience any side effects with Nexium.
Comments:   I took 1 capsule (40 MG) of Nexium daily for 30 days. Because my heartburn was typically worse in the evenings and at night, I took it in the late afternoon about 45 minutes prior to dinner. After one month, the improvements have been quite noticeable and I have been able to switch back to less powerful, over-the-counter medications.

Nexium review by 44 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   GERD/Barret's esophogus
Dosage & duration:   40mg/day taken once per day for the period of six years (ongoing)
Other conditions:   irritable bowel syndrome

Benefits:   The nexium provided two benefits. First, it completely stopped the constant heartburn. I have not had one second of heart burn since I started taking the drug. Second, it healed the Barret's esophagus completely. This has been verified by my GI doctor via two upper endoscopies and biopsies. Nexium is a miracle drug.
Side effects:   When I started taking the drug, I experienced some diarrhea.
Comments:   I take the nexium first thing in the morning, 30 minutes before I eat breakfast

Nexium review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   burning feeling in throat and chest
Dosage & duration:   50mg taken one a day for the period of in the morning on an empty stomach
Other conditions:   feel like having a heart attack (tightness in chest)
Other drugs taken:   high blood pressure

Benefits:   Reflux under control
Side effects:   Weight gain, skin rashes and mild headache.
Comments:   Taking Nexium once a day in the morning on an empty stomach. the reflux symptom mostly gone after 2 days. taking Nexium for one week notice weight gain (3 pounds) after 2 weeks gain 6 pounds even exercise more and eat less still gain weight. Quit taken Nexium for one week lost some weight (3 pounds) but refux symptom return. Start take Nexium again one a week doesn't help much. I tried so hard to loose weight and lost a lot and now I have to deal with weight gain because of reflux treatment pills.

Condition / reason:   acid reflux
Dosage & duration:   once daily---an hour before meal (dosage frequency: every day) for the period of 4 months
Other drugs taken:   none.

Benefits:   Reduced the acid reflux and heartburn that was present in the late evening hours. Overall, Nexium relieved me of acid reflux and heartburn.
Side effects:   I did not experience side effects, although some people do.
Comments:   I took a pill everyday (with water) about a hour before my dinner. I did not skip any days, but used everyday, so as to prevent heartburn rather than treat it.

Nexium review by 54 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken daily for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   insomnia
Other drugs taken:   Lamictal

Benefits:   Nexium does help in controlling reflux, but I haven't gone without it in so long that I don't know how my reflux would do on its own. It isn't a complete fix. I can't blame the drug for this, but it doesn't help at all if I drink caffeine.
Side effects:   No known side effect
Comments:   I take it once daily on an empty stomach. I sometimes take an additional dose at night if I'm having problems, but that doesn't seem to do my any good.

Nexium review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acid reflux
Dosage & duration:   40 mg twice daily taken twice daily for the period of 3 years
Other drugs taken:   cymbalta

Benefits:   Acid indigestion daily not impacted by over-the-counter medications. Used as prescribed, majority of acid indigestion is gone.
Side effects:   If I miss a pill r two, my acidic sensitivity is much greater than it was before I started to take to medication at all.
Comments:   Take the drug as prescribed. It is a pill and you just take the pill at the same time every day. i have not made changes in my diet. Although I gave up spicy foods a while ago and continue not to eat spicy foods.

Nexium review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Gastric esophageal reflux
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken daily for the period of 2001 to present
Other conditions:   asthma
Other drugs taken:   singulair, zyrtec

Benefits:   Prior to treatment, patient had severe reflux. She couldn't lie flat to sleep because of the reflux of acid into the esophagus. She often had such pain from the reflux that she only slept 3-4 hours a night.
Side effects:   Within 2 days the reflux symptoms were controlled. She only had problems if she ate an excessive amount late in the evening and needed to sleep on a wedge to prevent sudden reflux while asleep. She has noticed that if she does not take the Nexium, the symptoms reappear within 2-3 days.
Comments:   THe patient had been treated with Prilosec for reflux. While being evaluated for chronic insomnia, a 24 hour study was done to constantly measure the pH of her stomach/esophagus junction. The study found, while using Prilosec, her stomach acid was 10 times what was considered normal. She began using Nexium and repeated the 24 hour acid study about 6 months later. Using Nexium, the stomach acid pH was normal. The patient takes Nexium once a day, in the morning one hour prior to eating.

Condition / reason:   acid reflux
Dosage & duration:   10 mg once per day taken once per day for the period of approximately 10 weeks
Other conditions:   stomach pain, nausea

Benefits:   Total recouperation from a long battle with acid reflux and stomach pains.
Side effects:   Absolutely none. This medication is so much better than taking antacid tablets day after day and meal after meal.
Comments:   Following my initial dose of the medication it would take several hours for my symptoms to subside. They did subside in the first days but would return after about 8 hours or so. After about a week of daily dosing my acid reflux did not return regularly and my stomach pains subsided as well. By the end of week 2 I was symptom free. After I stopped my course of treatment many weeks went by with no return of symptoms. Since then, I have had one flare up. I restarted my course of treatment with the same results and now have been close to a year symptom free. I am very, very happy with Nexium.

Nexium review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acid reflux, GERD
Dosage & duration:   40 mg. taken twice a day for the period of 1 week
Other conditions:   Diabetes, Hypertension
Other drugs taken:   Metformin, Verapamil, Lyrica

Benefits:   The Nexium was effective in stopping my heart burn.
Side effects:   I had severe side effects. I itched all over, broke out in hives. I had chest pain and swelling of the lips and eyes. I had to immediately take benedril to stop the drug reactions. I felt nausiated for days after the adverse drug reaction.
Comments:   I had been taking Prevacid for years with success and no adverse drug reactions. I had to switch because my insurance would not pay for the Prevacid any more because there was a Generic form of Prevacid. I tried the generic but it was not effective so I was given the prescription for Nexium. The Nexium was effective but I was highly allergic to it.

Nexium review by medical professional caring for 52 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Acute Peptic Ulcer
Dosage & duration:   40mg taken bid /12hr for the period of 7 days
Other conditions:   Influenza + Bronchitis
Other drugs taken:   Antacids

Benefits:   Antacids were ineefeective to counteract severe pain and inability to eat. Symptoms reduced within 24 hours and completely dissapeared within 3 days
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Acute ulcer was the result of diclofenac sodium taken for the aches and fever. very severe ulceration,pain required tramadole administration. Inability to eat. Antacids were ineffective nexium resolved the symptoms within 48 hours.

Nexium review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Heart Burn
Dosage & duration:   One tablet taken once a day for the period of everytime I have heartburn

Benefits:   Nexium is very effective for me when I want to relieve heartburn. I don't take it everyday, only when I have the symptoms of heartburn due to acid reflux. The treatment benefits were that my stomach felt better, and I didn't have acid reflux due to the foods I had ingested.
Side effects:   I did not experience any symptoms.
Comments:   The way I use Nexium is I take it every time a food doesn't sit well and causes acid reflux or I feel it'll cause I take it.

Nexium review by 30 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Gerd
Dosage & duration:   40mg taken once daily for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   Na
Other drugs taken:   Na

Benefits:   Less reflux acidity
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I took the drug for my severe gerd gastro esophageal reflux disease. I used to take anti acid but was not effective and this drug was more effective. The doctor prescribed first losec but nexium appears to be less costy and with the same benifit. Nexium worked the whole dayand i had less acidity feeling at night. But my condition went worse and i did funduplication surgery and now i dont need it

Nexium review by 35 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40 MG taken once a day for the period of 6 Years
Other conditions:   Anxiety, Fibromyalgia
Other drugs taken:   Lexapro, Lyrica, Diazepam

Benefits:   NO more food coming up my esophagas No more burning, no more waking up in the middle of the night with heartburn
Side effects:   mild bloating mild diarreha
Comments:   Had helicobactor pylori with terrible acid reflux was treated with antibiotics and prilosec but still had terrible heartburn had a scope done and I had errosive esophagas started taking the nexium and has worked every since. If I miss a pill however my heartburn comes right back so I will have to stay on forever or eventually have surgery called a nissen fulondopation? wrap. I had all the testing for that surgery and was told I was a candidate fot it, so either I have to take the pill nexium forever or have surgery

Condition / reason:   Stomach acid/reflux
Dosage & duration:   40mg pers day taken once a day for the period of One year

Benefits:   The nexium was highly successful in calming the stomach acid. However, it took a long time to do so effectively. I only stopped taking it after a year.
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   I was advised to take the drug in the evenings and it was easy to incorporate the drug into my daily regimea