Nardil (Phenelzine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Nardil (Phenelzine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 1 ratings/reviews, Nardil has an overall score of 9. The effectiveness score is 10 and the side effect score is 6. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Nardil review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression (atypical)
Dosage & duration:   75mg taken 15mg 5 times per day for the period of 18 months
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   lamictal 150mg per day

Benefits:   A dramatic decrease in the level of depression and a great increase in a feeling of well-being and hope for the future. There were also considerable cognitive benefits: thought processes speeded up, memory became stronger and intellectual creativity increased. Also the constant fatigue that accompanied the depression decreased and this made possible an exercise program that increased energy and enjoyment of strenuous activities. In addition my general and social anxiety decreased dramatically.
Side effects:   The most troublesome side effect was faintness upon rising quickly from a seated (or horizontal) position. On one occasion I lost consciousness and fell. However, this side effect went away after three months or so. There was also some decrease in sexual desire, but this side effect also lessened over time. A side effect that seems to be permanent is lower blood pressure, but this is actually a benefit for most people. I've been told that some people take MAOI's solely to decrease their blood pressure.
Comments:   It takes some time to build up to a clinical dosage. As I recall, my doctor had me take 15mg for a weak, 30mg for two weeks, 45mg for two weeks until I had built up to 75mg. I did not begin to feel the antidepressant effect until I reached 45mg. When I reached 60mg the antidepressant effect had kicked in fully and I even experienced a period (two or three weeks) of a mild euphoria, which I have been told is fairly typical. My doctor thought that a slow buildup of the drug in my system was the most effective treatment. He also had me taking Lamictal (150mg per day), which he thought might spark a stronger reaction to Nardil. There are also some diet restrictions: no aged cheeses and no aged meats. Also, some cold medications must be avoided.