Mirapex (Pramipexole) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Mirapex (Pramipexole) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 6 ratings/reviews, Mirapex has an overall score of 7. The effectiveness score is 9 and the side effect score is 7. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Mirapex review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   restless leg syndrome
Dosage & duration:   0.5 mg taken 1 pill at noon, 2 pills at night for the period of over 7 years
Other conditions:   high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   atenlol, cymbalta

Benefits:   The benefits were remarkable and fast. Before taking the mirapex, the patient got very little sleep and consequently was irritable. After taking the mirapex, the restless legs calmed down immediately. The patient can now go to a movie, take a trip in a car and sleep with a reasonable amount of comfort. The restless legs are not totally cured, but it is manageable now. Even working 8 hours a day is much more manageable.
Side effects:   The only side effect that the patient experienced was drowsiness and that has weakened as time has gone by. With only taking one pill at noon, the drowsiness is not marked and does not interfere with work or anything else. The patient takes 2 pills around 8 or 9:00 at night so the drowsiness is not a problem.
Comments:   The patient developed restless leg syndrome around the age of 35 after a boating accident where her back was injured. The doctors do not know if the back injury brought on the restless legs or not. The patient went to many doctors and neurologists. The doctors tried many medicines but with no success. Finally the patient found a neurologist in central Kansas that figured out immediately what was wrong. The doctor put the patient on mirapex on a trial basis after performing many tests to rule out other causes or problems. The patient has never been on another medicine for restless legs since going on the mirapex. The patient does take a multivitamin with iron in it to help with the restless legs and the patient also does not have caffeine drinks.

Mirapex review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pain in legs (diagnosis Restless Leg Syndrome)
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken 1 time per day for the period of 1 month

Benefits:   I had been to several doctors regarding pain in my thigh mostly. I had seen Orthopedic Dr, Family practice (2), Endocrinologist and finally Nuerologist, who prescribed the Mirapex. I did note slight improvement in leg pain however the weight gain issue was totally unacceptable to me and the benefit was only slight. I have had much better results with Lyrica.
Side effects:   Basically, I only noticed a huge weight gain of approximately 15 pounds. I do not really recall any further side effects. There were however, other side effects listed on the prescription contraindication form. I do not recall what the side effects listed on that form were now.
Comments:   he Doctor told me to take he medication at bed time each evening. she also suggested that I might find it useful to sleep with a contour pillow between my thighs. She said to get up and walk around rather than lie in bed tossing if I could not sleep. As for the weight gain, it was recommended that I try to excercise more and reduce caloric intake.

Mirapex review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Restless Leg Syndrome
Dosage & duration:   1.5 mg taken once daily at bed time for the period of I've been taking it since 2001
Other conditions:   RSD
Other drugs taken:   Neurontin/Gabapentin

Benefits:   Before I began taking the Mirapex, I was taking Clonapin which was very ineffective as I was constantly waking up in the middle of the night having to take more medication to get back to sleep. I had to get up and walk around until the medication took effect and I was exhausted all the time. On Mirapex, I am able to sleep at night without being awakened by my restless legs which is a huge relief for me and my husband.
Side effects:   I have what I call a window of opportunity to take Mirapex by 7PM or I will be very "anxious" and highly uncomfortable due to the restless legs jumping and distress. It causes me to go to sleep shortly after taking it, which makes going to a movie theater almost impossible in the evening as I will sleep through most of the movie if I've taken my medicine.
Comments:   I take Mirapex at 7PM every night so that I will not feel the effects of the Restless Legs Syndrome and will fall asleep, sleeping through the night in my bed without having to get up and walk around. This is a big relief to me and enables me to sleep in the same bed as my husband whereas before, I had to get up out of bed and walk briskly around the house. Now I am rested and able to function the next day. I have been part of a study group for Restless Legs Syndrome and I was the only one whose doctor had put them on Mirapex... others were on Requip and experiencing significant amounts of stress. After hearing about my experience with Mirapex, they were going to ask their doctors about it.

Mirapex review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Restless Leg Syndrome
Dosage & duration:   100 mg at bedtime taken daily for the period of ongoing
Other conditions:   high blood pressure; heartburn
Other drugs taken:   toprol xl; nexium

Benefits:   First treatment in 50 years that helped the constant but elusive pain in my nervous system, causing me to sleep an hour or two at a time at best. The pain is 100% gone when I take the mirapex ... back when I do not.
Side effects:   Can fall asleep at my desk or driving without much notice. Reduced the amount I was taking from 200 mg to the 100mg.
Comments:   I take it at bedtime nightly.

Mirapex review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Restless Legs Syndrome
Dosage & duration:   .25mg a.m and p.m. and 1 mg at bedtime taken 3 x day for the period of Been taking it for 10 yrs
Other conditions:   chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, insomnia, hashimoto's thyroid
Other drugs taken:   armour thyroid, effexor xr

Benefits:   My legs used to jump pretty badly and so did my arms every night about 60 times per hour, that's once a minute. Sometimes it would wake me up and other times I didn't even know I was doing it, but the doctor told me that it was still disturbing my sleep. While taking this drug, my legs and arms only jumped about 3 times in a 6 hr period. All documented on sleep studies.
Side effects:   I've heard that some people turn into gamblers. Not a joke. But I have never had any abnormal urges to gamble while taking it. I am not a gambling person. In fact the medication has never made me want to do anything wrong or strange and I've never had trouble or side effects at all unless I suddenly stop taking it and then I can't sit still or sleep becuase I am jumping around.
Comments:   I take a .25mg tablet every a.m. and then around dinner I take another one. This keeps me from becoming jumpy in the daytime because I used to just be sitting there and my arm or leg would fly up or I'd feel the need to move. I also take 1 mg at bedtime to stop my legs and arms from jumping in my sleep. This has improved my quality of sleep immensely.

Mirapex review by medical professional caring for 50 year old male patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   Parkinson's
Dosage & duration:   0.125 mg taken 1 x day for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   HBV, HCV, opiate & cocaine addictions DIRECTLY pursuant to Pramipexole use
Other drugs taken:   Sinemet/Levodopa, Amantadine, Diphenhydramine, beer (Rx by neurologist), heroin & crack (self Rx)

Benefits:   Mirapex: tremor control
Side effects:   Mirapex: impulse control absence, induction of OCD symptoms, drug addiction (heroin, crack, etc.) and hepatitis B & C all pursuant to massive sexual and substance risk taking behaviors, loss of professional license, theft of $1million of clients' funds, gambled EVERYTHING away, lost everything, began inappropriate sexual relationships with prostitutes in home town and in Central America as well as with underaged females (who were often teenaged crack addicts), theft of EVERY SINGLE ITEM of any value from his extremely elderly wealthy father and from the rest of us, left crack in our young adult daughter's car, severing of relationships: WE have to protect ourselves from him and his evil-Mirapex reactions
Comments:   Subsequently: he got DBS implanted and has been able to reduce the Mirapex - BUT THE DAMAGE IS DONE