Minocycline (Minocycline) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Minocycline reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 20 ratings/reviews, Minocycline has an overall score of 5.85. The effectiveness score is 6.70 and the side effect score is 7.50. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Dosage & duration:   5mg taken 2 times/day for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   face cleared up conciderably. It took about 2 months for the drug to become conciderably effective though.
Side effects:   There were no side effects associated with the drug. The doctor mentioned it would make birth control ineffective but had no confirmation of that.
Comments:   Face and body cleared up conciderably. It did take a while for the drug to take effect - but was worth it in the end. I am now pregnant and will continue treatments after I have the baby. Once I stopped taking it before I got pregnant - my face began to break out again. So you really have to continue to take it to keep the benefits.

Minocycline review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   1 pill twice a day taken twice daily for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   Crohn's Disease
Other drugs taken:   Sulfasalizine

Benefits:   The Sulfer drug helped reduce abdominal inflammation and reduced pain felt with Crohn's flare ups.
Side effects:   No side effects were noted.
Comments:   Sulfasalizine was taken three times daily. As I began to wean off the drug, I moderated how much I was taking in regards to the pain and inflammation I was feeling. I am currently off the drug and take no medication for Crohn's.

Minocycline review by care giver of 16 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   2 x daily orally (dosage frequency: 2 x day orally) for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   Differen topical cream

Benefits:   Treatment cleared the complexion from acne breakout and eliminated the redness/residual under the skin. This drug had an almost immediate effect on the facial and back areas of the patient. If the patient stopped taking the minocycline, the acne almost immediately returned. It kept the bacteria at bay while on the medication.
Side effects:   There were no adverse side effects. The medication stated to take with food, but on those occasions that food wasn't taken, there was no stomach upset or other adverse effects.
Comments:   Take 1 tablet by mouth 2x day or after 6 weeks, reduce dosage to 1xday. Patient required the 2xdaily dosage for the duration to keep the acne manageable. When tried to go to a lesser dosage, the acne breakouts returned.

Minocycline review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   150 mg taken once per day for the period of for 7 days whenever flare-up
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   Noticeably Clearer complexion in forty eight hours or less. Issue around lack of maintenance of clear complexion.
Side effects:   Gastric upset, appetite suppression. Plethoric completion in areas as well as pockets of acne.
Comments:   Prescribed to take whenever flare-up for period of 7 days. Some concerns regarding the potential for multiple resistant organisms considering the intermittent nature of dosing.

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   200 mc (dosage frequency: 1 time per day) for the period of 2 weeks

Benefits:   This drug did nothing for my acne condition. I had taken other antibiotics before - tetracycline and erythromycin with varying degrees of success.
Side effects:   I was obviously highly allergic to this drug as one morning I woke up and my lips were extremely swollen. I had to go to the doctor to make sure I wasn't going into allegy shock.
Comments:   Doctor prescribed one pill per day of Minocycline for my acne. Took the drug for 2 weeks. Then I had the swollen lips reaction and stopped taking the drug.

Minocycline review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Treatment of acne
Dosage & duration:   75mg taken once a day for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   I took Minocycline hoping that it would clear up my acne. I have been taking Tetracycline for over 2 years without no result, frustrated, my doctor prescribed Minocyline. After 1 year, I was still having break out just not as bad.
Side effects:   The treatment had no side effect on me.
Comments:   I don't have severe acne problem, just occasional break out. I was prescribed Minocycline by my doctor and was advised to take it once a day for treatment of my acne. I was told that it would take up to six month to see result. After more than a year being on it, it did very little for me. I was still breaking out, it just that some of my break out was not as bad. Bottom line, I was not satisfied because it did not help clear up my acne altogether.

Minocycline review by 46 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken 2 x daily for the period of 15 days

Benefits:   No change in acne despite 15 days of usage -- probably antibiotic resistant.
Side effects:   Upset stomach, headache. Nausea could be combatted with ingestion of yogurt.
Comments:   I have had acne for 30 years, and have used several different treatments. Most effect was Benzamycin, but very drying. Most recent doctor prescribed Minocycline to reduce current breakout. But no effect.

Minocycline review by 20 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   2 tablets daily taken 2 timees daily for the period of 3 years ongoing
Other conditions:   astigmatism

Benefits:   Clear appearance of skin, decreased pimples and cysts, it took one month for the medication to start working and had moderate effects
Side effects:   was volatile to certain foods and dairy, skin very sensitive to sun, and dosent heal very well, if i stoppped taking the drug temporarary i would get combination of cystic acne and normal acne around neck and lower face and cheeks
Comments:   benzac, roaccutane, then MINOCYCLINE

Minocycline review by 43 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   severe acne
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken two daily for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   The drug got rid of the acne but the problem reoccurred a year later
Side effects:   none
Comments:   I had severe acne on the chest and back. The drug got rid of the problem very quickly (within a month) but it came back worse a year later. It was highly effective. I should have treated my condition earlier as all of my chest and half of my back was covered with painful acne.

Minocycline review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Dermatitis ( Peri-oral)
Dosage & duration:   50mg taken once/ twice daily for the period of 2 to 3 weeks

Benefits:   Depending on how severe the case is the dermatitis clears up in one to two weeks. The overall appearance of my skin improves as well as it improves any hormone or stress related 'spots'. (It is also used as adjunctive therapy to treat acne).
Side effects:   Dry skin and slight skin pigmentation.
Comments:   Initially 100mg twice daily followed by 50mg twice daily

Minocycline review by 24 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   not sure (dosage frequency: several times a day) for the period of several years
Other drugs taken:   topical acne medication-differin, tretinoin, clindamycin

Benefits:   I think that the treatment might have improved my acne somewhat, but it always returned. I stayed on this drug for several years, along with using topical medications. I was using so many prescriptions that I don't really know which if any of them helped. I always still had some acne during this treatment.
Side effects:   Chronic yeast infections leading to daily use of nystatin, yogurt, suppliments, etc. Especially since treatment spanned high school and college years, the effect of having recurring yeast infections was particularly worrisome. I also did not know when I was prescribed nystatin to deal with the yeast infections from minocycline that the nystatin could have negative long-term effects on my liver.
Comments:   During my teens, I took minocycline several times a day for many years. I was also using various topical medications, and at some point, also took different antibiotics such as Bactrim. Nothing really worked. I was also trying suppliments, teas, meditation, changes to my diet and exercise routine in order to try to get rid of my acne. Eventually I wound up using Accutane which also did not work for me.

Dosage & duration:   100mg taken 2x/day for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   Acne significantly reduced or disappeared, but returns immediately upon stopping treatment.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I've been on Minocycline for five years. My acne was significantly reduced on 100mg/day dosage. Acne completely disappeared after dosage was upped to 200mg/day, except still get acne during week of menstruation. Acne immediately returns upon stopping medication.

Minocycline review by 32 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken one pill once per day for the period of one year
Other conditions:   moderate acne; pustules and cystic
Other drugs taken:   paxil, adderall, lamictal, predisone 5 days before menstrual cycle

Benefits:   I felt the medicine only slightly cleared my acne. I would say 30% clearer skin.
Side effects:   They were no side effects that I felt.
Comments:   I felt the medicine only slightly cleared my acne. I would say 30% clearer skin.; yet I did not want to stop taking it b/c I felt it would get worse. I also took Predisone 5 days before my menstrual cycle, as I tended to break out more, but did not see a difference.

Minocycline review by 56 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken twice daily for the period of 1 week
Other conditions:   hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   Birth Control Pills

Benefits:   I originally took the medication in a smaller dose for 3-4 months and saw a reduction of pus-filled pimples. The physician increased the dose to hopefully increase the benefits, as I still had significant acne.
Side effects:   After taking this medication for 1 week, I experienced sudden severe joint pain and stiffness, almost like very bad arthritis. I was 30 years old at the time.
Comments:   I took this medication as prescribed by a dermatologist for 1 week at the 100 mg dose before severe side effects started. Side effects disappeared by 3 days after discontinuation.

Minocycline review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   rosacea/ acne
Dosage & duration:   100 mg day taken one at bedtime for the period of 4-5 years
Other conditions:   na
Other drugs taken:   topical clindamycin

Benefits:   cleared acne rosacea.
Side effects:   I became very pale. Gained weight likely due to overburdened liver condition from the drug. Severe bruising on my calves and thighs ( a stated side effect of the drug ), likely yeast overgrowth in abdominal area which lead to bloating, etc. Graying of the teeth, especially lower teeth, bluish at roots. Lethargy, lack of concentration.
Comments:   My acne/ rosacea began at age 14, and was treated only topically with harsh over the counter products, with poor result. I began taking high doses of Tetracyclean at age 20. By age 30 I was also adding clindamycin topical solution to help control or dry out the breakouts. Even so, this combined effort was only mildly effective. I never drank alcohol, caffeine, and avoided spicy food while drinking lots of water and having a healthy lifestyle. By age 38, I was introduced to Minocyclean which was immediately effective and controlled my acne/ rosacea. Within 4-5 years, my teeth began to grey, weight gain began, and severe bruising developed on my upper and lower legs. Two weeks ago I phased out of the Minocycline and adopted a strong Probiotic ( 15 billion mc of acidophilus, etc. ) regimen with additional herbal supplement to treat yeast and parasites. I continue to use the topical Clindamycin, and so far the result is very controlled and manageable skin. I am monitoring my teeth and anxious to see if the bruising disappears before long. Antibiotics use create yeast in our bodies, which Acne and Rosacea thrive on. Rid yourself of the drugs, and use the natural supplements instead, and eliminate irritating triggers. Been on antibiotics for 24 years, and now excited to see something finally able to free my from those drugs. The supplement can be found on CandidaFreedom. They also make a natural face soap with the same ingredients. Get off those horrible drugs and at least try it. Give yourself a month !

Minocycline review by 18 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   50mg taken 2 times/ day for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   There was little to no benefit from taking the medication. Acne did not visibly improve over the entire course of medication.
Side effects:   Side effects included constipation.
Comments:   The treatment consisted of taking minocycline for 3 months everyday 2x/day. It was taken with after dinner with a full glass of water. The pills were not large, and easy to swallow.

Minocycline review by 32 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   50mg taken one tablet twice daily for the period of 10 months
Other conditions:   oily skin

Benefits:   My skin cleared considerably in about two weeks after starting this medication and has remained relatively clear over the 10 months i have been taking it. I have far fewer hormonal breakouts around my chin and my skin seems generally less congested with fewer blackheads. I have also noticed a reducation in oil on the surface of my skin.
Side effects:   This product has made me more sensitive to the sun. I think my skin has burned or discoloured very quickly after having been in the sun, even while wearing sunscreen. I have also noticed increased pigmentation on my foreheard and at my temples.
Comments:   I have been taking this product consistently for about 10 months. I take one tablet, twice a day with meals - usually one at the beginning of the day, another at the end of the day.

Minocycline review by 22 year old male patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Dosage & duration:   100mg taken twice a day for the period of 5 days

Benefits:   Decreased the number of acne lesions.
Side effects:   Major Headaches Neck Pain
Comments:   I have been taking minocycline 100mg twice a day. At first I had no side effects what so ever. However after a week I started heaving headaches and they gradually got worse. It was when I started having neck pains, I stopped using Minocycline. Although I stopped using it, I never thought the pains were due to it - I thought it was from going out right after the shower which I often do. That same night I woke up with hives appearing in my body and towards the end of the day, my face got swollen (eyes and my inner lip.) At first I thought it was a food allergy, went to the doctor and got a full blood test (White blood cells, red cells, cholesterol, sugar, full allergy, almost everything.) During the waiting period of my results (took about a week and a half) I was taking steroid pills for allergies and I got back to normal within 5 days. On the 8th day, I was like hmm lets take minocycline again, I wanna be proactive and not break out on acne again. I took one pill at night after 8 days of not using it, and the next day I got itchy hands and a few hives and then I realized it was the minocycline that I was reacting to. Luckily I only took one pill and over the counter allergy medicine such as zyrtec got rid off my itchiness and I am back to normal again. So around 8-9 days later after I gave blood, the results came to my doctor. To my surprise everything came normal no allergies what so ever, no pollen, no nuts, no nuts, no dust completely NO ALLERGIES. My Red Blood cell count along with hematocrit came a little high but nothing else. I am almost confident to say that minocycline was what I was reacting to and my doctor told me to stop taking it.

Minocycline review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   adult acne
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken 1/day for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   i struggled with adult acne for 10 years and nothing worked for me. when i started taking this medication my acne completely cleared within 2 months and whenever i stop taking this medication it comes back within a few weeks and then will go away again when i start taking it again.
Side effects:   i did not notice any side effects at all while taking this medication
Comments:   i take one capsule every morning on an empty stomach. you cannot take any calcium at the time you take this medication so i wait for an hour before i have my coffee because i like cream in my coffee.

Minocycline review by 17 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   very severe acne
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken once a day for the period of 4 months

Benefits:   it cleared most of my acne and i had no sideffects at all!!! i drank allot of water that migth explain why there were no side effects
Side effects:   no side effects
Comments:   when i first started taking the medicin, i had very severe acne. the change in my condition was notisible after about 1.5 months and after 4 months i had mostley red marks who were left after the pimpels. today I still have some acne and once at a while a big pimple pops out, but i am satisfied because the proces was very easy and as i sed i had no side effects.