Minocin (Minocycline) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Minocin (Minocycline) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 3 ratings/reviews, Minocin has an overall score of 6.67. The effectiveness score is 8 and the side effect score is 8. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Minocin review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Cystic Acne
Dosage & duration:   50 MG taken twice a day for the period of About 4 years
Other drugs taken:   just vitamin supplements

Benefits:   My cystic acne was reduced. My face did clear up consistently with the help of the pills and creams such as retin-a.
Side effects:   I needed to take the pills with lots of water, so I was always taking trips to the bathroom. I was on this pill for a long time, and I dont know if the constant ringing of my ears was a side effect, I did visit an ear doctor for this problem I thought was tinnitus but the doctor assured me the minocin had nothing to do with it. The ringing of the ears continued for about a year after I stopped taking minocycline. Occasionally I still get a ringing of the years, it can be sudden but lasts for a second or so...I was never diagnosed with tinnutus, but the ringing did lessen until it left after i stopped the pills.
Comments:   I was to take the pills twice a day with water. I took one in the morning after I ate, and one at night with plenty of water....after a year my body became resistant to the pill and stopped working, and i started taking higher doses without my doctors consent..which was wrong of me and dangerous and maybe that is why the ringing of my ears began...but I was obssessed with clearing up my acne. I was young, I believe i was 17 or eighteen when i started minocin and was on and off it for about 4 years.

Minocin review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken 2x per day for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   Hair loss & tonsil stones

Benefits:   I have been struggling with adult acne. A dermatologist prescribes the Minocycline and for the first two months, it worked great. I had perfectly clear skin AND I noticed that my hair STOPPED falling out at it's normal rate. All the women in my family start losing their hair starting in their thirties and by the time they are 60, wigs are definitely in order. Also, I normally get tonsil stones. These also ceased.
Side effects:   No major side effects other than it stopped working for my acne after two months so I stopped taking it. The acne has become worse than ever. The hair loss returned although at a somewhat diminished rate than pre-Minocycline. The one remaining benefit is that the tonsil stones have not returned. It has been approximately one month since I discontinues use of the antibiotic.
Comments:   Originally, the dermatologist prescribed that I take the antibiotic for two months. I finished the course and the acne started to come back. At that time, I went to see my GP and she said, "If it's working, keep taking it for up to the next 6 mos. to a year." Against my better judgment, I took the Minocycline for another two months. The efficacy obviously diminished over time and did not solve the root problem, whatever it may be.

Minocin review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   100 MG taken 1 x per day for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   It reduced the severity of acne eruptions.
Side effects:   Upset stomach; yeast infections
Comments:   I first starting taking it for frequent adult acne. The medication did work, and I quit taking it. But the acne returned so I went back on the Minocin. After 3 months on, I had frequent vaginal yeast infections, but no acne. I have been taking it for a year, and it no longer clears up the acne eruptions.