Metrogel (Metronidazole Topical) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Metrogel (Metronidazole Topical) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 19 ratings/reviews, Metrogel has an overall score of 4.74. The effectiveness score is 5.47 and the side effect score is 8.42. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Metrogel review by 36 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   rosacea
Dosage & duration:   topical (dosage frequency: twice per day) for the period of a few weeks

Benefits:   There were not any benefits. Galderma changed metrogel and the new formula didn't agree with my skin.
Side effects:   my skin became very red and irritated.
Comments:   i used the new metrogel. the old formula is no longer available. The new one doesn't work for me.

Metrogel review by 40 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   rosacea
Dosage & duration:   0.75% (dosage frequency: 2 times daily) for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   Reduced redness of the forhead and cheeks.
Side effects:   No side effects.
Comments:   Applied MetroGel 0.75% to areas of face affected by rosacea in morning and evening. Redness and small bumps were somewhat reduced.

Metrogel review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Roseasa
Dosage & duration:   rub a thin layer on face (dosage frequency: twice daily) for the period of 6years
Other conditions:   no other conditions

Benefits:   The treatment benefits were good. It took away the red bumps and flushing I had from the roseasa
Side effects:   When I got a sinus infection I had to go on antibiotics. I took 3 different kinds of antibiotics and they did not work. I read somewhere that Metrogel made you resistent to antibiotics.
Comments:   I applied Metrogel for years with good results. It wasn't perfect. I had mild roseasa. I had flushing and small pimples on my cheeks. Metrogel somewhat cleared this up but I couldn't miss a dose. Then I got a sinus infection that wouldn't clear up even after 3 different antibiotics. I researched it and found that Metrogel was found to make a person resistant to antibiotics.

Metrogel review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   bacterial infection
Dosage & duration:   1 full applicator daily for 5 days (dosage frequency: once per day) for the period of 5 days

Benefits:   There was an inital reduction in symptoms however in the end the treatment was not effective. The condition was eventually cleared up with Vandazole gel, which did work.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   At my annual exam the condition of vaginal bacteria was discovered. The doctor prescribed Metrogel which I took for 5 days in the evening at bedtime. The symptoms resumed within 1 day of completing treatment. A re-visit to the doctor resulted in a prescription for Vandazole gel, which did work.

Metrogel review by 60 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   redness from rosacea flushing
Dosage & duration:   1% (dosage frequency: applied it twice a day) for the period of just a few days because of bad reaction
Other conditions:   fibromyalgia, cervical disc disease, depression
Other drugs taken:   Effexor XR, Hydrocodone, Klonopin

Benefits:   None. This product as all prescription and nonprecriptions products that are available in the USA have offered no relief whatsoever from the flushing of Rosacea and extremely sensitive skin.
Side effects:   This product immeidately caused my skin to turn bright red. It stung and I had to wash it off. I tried it a couple more days and then gave up, just as I have on all Rosacea medications. Very very frustrating.
Comments:   My dermatologist doctor has yet to find something to help me. I have also had laser treatments that are suppose to calm the skin but to no avail. There is a new medication out that is like doxycycline but is suppose to help the redness of Rosacea. I can't remember the name of it. But I tried that also and was on it for two months. With no improvement, the doctor stopped me taking it.

Metrogel review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   rosacea
Dosage & duration:   thin layer to cheeks 2x day (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of about 15 years
Other conditions:   nothing serious--but over fifteen years, various
Other drugs taken:   over time: albuterol, chlorhexidine

Benefits:   I never got pimples, pustules, or anything else associated with this condition. But maybe I never would have--it is hard to say. The first dermatologist to prescribe it wanted to put me on several weeks of antibiotics. I really did not want the systemic side effects of that. Also, I oppose the overuse of antibiotics because it leads to resistant bacteria. So one benefit is that it gave him an alternative to antibiotics.
Side effects:   Hard to say. During the fifteen years I took it, my pores enlarged and became clogged. That may have been due to age and other factors--but I could not help but suspect that some of the heavy waxes and oils used in the product may have contributed. Metrogel left an ashy white residue, so I switched to the cream. Maybe the gel would have less clogging effect. Later, I got prescription insurance coverage and had to take a generic, which may have had even cheaper inactive ingredients.
Comments:   I never had a problem with rosacea. I went to a dermatologist and was kept waiting two hours. I was embarrassed because I kept literally falling asleep in the waiting room. I asked the receptionist if I had time to run out and get a cup of coffee. After I drank the coffee, my cheeks flushed bright red--that was the only symptom of rosacea. After fifteen years and several changes of dermatologists, I got a new doctor and asked if the metronidazole could be causing enlarged pores. When she found out that I never had pimples or pustules, she suggested I try not using the metronidazole at all. I have not used it for the last six weeks and I see no change. I prefer using a lighter moisturizer.

Metrogel review by 56 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   roseasa
Dosage & duration:   1 x per day (dosage frequency: 1 x per day) for the period of 4 years and counting
Other conditions:   Psoriatic Arthritis
Other drugs taken:   Enbrel [biologic drug]

Benefits:   --reduced redness on face [especially around nose and cheek areas] --helps reduce time that an open sore heals on face. --overall - I am satisfied with Metrogel's performance concering Roseasa.
Side effects:   I have not found any side affects as of yet.
Comments:   Thin layer of Metrogel over affected areas of face 1x per day after face has been washed and is dry.

Metrogel review by 52 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Rosacea
Dosage & duration:   0.75% (dosage frequency: twice daily after washing my face) for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   Anxiety/Depression
Other drugs taken:   Paxil

Benefits:   I saw absolute no change in my rosacea so can claim no benefits.
Side effects:   I had no treatment side effects.
Comments:   I have rosacea on one side of my face and my physician prescribed Metrogel in 0.75%. I rubbed the cream on the rosacea twice a day after washing my face. After six months I saw neither improvement nor complications/side effects.

Metrogel review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Rosacea
Dosage & duration:   topical (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 2 months
Other conditions:   hashimotos hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   levoxyl, cytomel

Benefits:   Metrogel 1% significantly improved the redness on my cheeks, nose and chin within 3 weeks of use and reduced breakouts of papules due to rosacea triggers. It was easy to use with no drug interactions.
Side effects:   My dermatologist prescribed metrogel for rosacea. I experienced mild stinging from the metrogel. This is a very mild side effect and would not deter me from using this medication. The results far outweighed the mild side effect.
Comments:   My dermatologist prescribed clindamycin first for rosacea. I experienced moderate results from the clindamycin but not a significant improvement and still had significant breakouts from rosacea triggers. Metrogel rapidly reduced the overall redness of my skin and significantly reduced the breakouts in severity and duration.

Metrogel review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   rosacea
Dosage & duration:   0.75% (dosage frequency: twice daily) for the period of a few months

Benefits:   I found metro gel to be irritating and drying. My face seemed more red than before I started taking it. It was actually uncomfortable from dryness. I did not want to use the cream because it seemed to be heavy, possibly leading to breakouts. My doctor then gave me a presciption for noritate, which did not have the side effects I mentioned above. Plus, you only have to use it once per day, which I like alot.
Side effects:   see above
Comments:   see above

Metrogel review by 51 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   acne rosacea
Dosage & duration:   .75% (dosage frequency: twice a day) for the period of approx six months

Benefits:   I'd had dry skin on my face for several years which I'd controlled using moisturisers. About five years ago, I started to get acne pimples and bumps on my cheeks and forehead which was diagnosed as rosacea. I was prescribed Metrogel which cleared the problems, including the dry skin. Symptoms reduced almost immediately. I've had about two years without having to get a repeat prescription, and symptoms have just begun to return, so I've requested more from my doc.
Side effects:   The gel can be visible if applied too thickly, at which point it can flake slightly.
Comments:   Apply a thin layer of gel to the face twice a day.

Metrogel review by 56 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   .75 (dosage frequency: 2 years) for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   diabetes
Other drugs taken:   metformin

Benefits:   Sometimes lessoned redness
Side effects:   burning sensation on occasion
Comments:   Several years ago I was diagnosed with rosacea. Metrogel was prescribed by my family doctor. At the time I had oily skin. It was prescribed to be used 2 times a day. I was also told to use Cetaphil cleanser. My rosacea symptoms were redness, burning skin that felt hot to the touch. I used the Metrogel religiously as prescribed. For the first 2 weeks, it burned on contact. I hated it. After awhile my skin started calming down and I stopped using the Metrogel. Everytime my skin flared up I would use it again. I'm using it right now. I can't really say if the Metrogel helped at all. Sometimes I think it is very irritating but I'm told to use it when necessary. Redness is sometimes better after use, but I don't know if it the result of the Metrogel. I would like to find something better out there.

Metrogel review by 36 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   1% gel (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 4 years

Benefits:   After 15 years of ineffective medications, I finally got my rosacea under control with Metrogel. I still have occasional flare-ups, but with nowhere near the intensity or frequency I had them before. I wish I had discovered this medication years earlier. I see a lot of people here saying they abandoned MetroGel after a few days because it initially made their rosacea worse. I had the same experience, but pushed through, and found that it worked wonders by the 2nd or 3rd week. You just have to deal with looking awful for a week or two. Like I said, it's not perfect, but it really has made life a lot better for me. I just hope it remains effective until they find a cure (ha!).
Side effects:   A little stinging, but nothing serious
Comments:   I just rub a little one every night, and occasionally skip a few days.

Metrogel review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   rosacia
Dosage & duration:   thin layer daily to affected area (dosage frequency: almost daily) for the period of 9 months

Benefits:   If there were benefits, they were minimal. The only thing I noticed was how dry my skin became from use of Metrogel.
Side effects:   Dry skin.
Comments:   I was prescribed Metrogel for my moderate case of Rosacia. I took the prescription for almost 9 months. I applied a thin layer daily after washing my face in the evenings. After 9 months I expected to see a slight difference in appearance of my skin, but did not. The only noticeable affect I saw was how dry my skin became. And with it being a very expensive product, I was very disappointed.

Metrogel review by 38 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   rosacea
Dosage & duration:   1x daily after washing (dosage frequency: 1x daily after washing) for the period of 2 days

Benefits:   no benefits, only negatives.
Side effects:   This product made my rosacea go from mild to severe in a matter of 2 days. Has now been 6 days, with no improvements of the damage done by this junk. Horrible, horrible product. The best way to ease you rosacea is go on a diet of lemon water and plain, boiled chicken for a week. Take about 2 gm of pantothenic acid a day. It sucks, but it will clear it up.
Comments:   treatment details? What details? I have rosacea and metrogel is NOT effective, and made symptoms worse and now they don't go away at all. Thanks to our fantastic government regulations, pharmacuticals are approved by ignorant monkeys while effective, natural cures are ignored. The best way to ease your rosacea is go on a diet of lemon water and plain, boiled chicken for a week. Take about 2 gm of pantothenic acid a day. It sucks, but it will clear it up. I'm sure a doctor will argue it and insist that some Gualderm product is better, but we all know how that works....

Metrogel review by 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   skin texture changes due to rosacea
Dosage & duration:   pea-size amount to face (dosage frequency: twice a day) for the period of 2 yrs.
Other drugs taken:   synthroid

Benefits:   None
Side effects:   none
Comments:   Metrogel was applied after cleansing, before applying moisturizer. This was done twice a day, morning and evening. There was no change in the 'bumps' that were on my face, and there was no change in the progression of others that were forming. I religiously used this get for two years before stopping treatment. Using Metrogel was a complete waste of time for me.

Metrogel review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Rosecea on the face
Dosage & duration:   apply 2 times a day (dosage frequency: 2 times a day) for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   The treatment benefits were that the skin on my face eventually returned to almost normal. No more white scaly skin cells, no more red patches and lumps, which i think was inflammation, no more slight soreness, whilst using the cream.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I applied the gel to my face-underneath the eyes and on both sides of my nose twice a day for two months initially. There was a great improvement though it didnīt get rid of the condition completely. I found the sun agravated the condition and the rednes and scaly skin would return and then I would use the cream for about a month until the rosacea disappeared.

Metrogel review by 57 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   ROSECEA
Dosage & duration:   60 GRAM TUBE (dosage frequency: 1-2 times a day) for the period of 2 YEARS
Other conditions:   NONE
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   less red spots, helped remove red spots...which were usually worse after hot shower, but I enjoy that so I use the metrogel after that when symptoms are worse and it seems to help. I enjoy coffee, wine, hot spices, hot showers, really only limit sun exposure and the rosecea seems better. Also in the morning if I notice red spots it seems to help.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   rub into red areas 1-2 times a day

Metrogel review by 30 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   rosacea
Dosage & duration:   thin layer over nose (dosage frequency: once daily at night) for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   Occasionally, my rosacea would come out on my nose and sometimes result in huge, painful pimples which also made my entire nose red and swollen. This started occurring bi-weekly for the past year or so. I started using Metrogel and haven't had an incident since!
Side effects:   none!
Comments:   Just rubbed a thin layer over my nose every night before bed.