Methimazole (Methimazole) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Methimazole reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 3 ratings/reviews, Methimazole has an overall score of 8.33. The effectiveness score is 9.33 and the side effect score is 8. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Methimazole review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   GRAVE'S DISEASE
Dosage & duration:   10 MG taken once daily for the period of 1 1/2 YRS.
Other conditions:   NONE
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   ALL SYMPTOMS SUBSIDED - SWOLLEN ANKLES, RESTLESS SLEEP, FEELING OVERHEATED/SENSITIVITY TO WARM TEMPERATURES, SHAKEY HANDS, SWOLLEN THYROID GLAND, HIGH THYROID LEVEL IN BLOOD TESTS, TIRED EYES, AND INCREASED APPETITE.
Side effects:   NONE.
Comments:   INITIALLY TOOK 10MG TWICE A DAY. AFTER 6 MONTHS, REDUCED TO ONCE A DAY. AFTER ONE YEAR, REDUCED TO 1 EVERY OTHER DAY OR SO. WHEN BLOOD TESTS CONSISTENTLY RESULTED IN NORMAL THYROID LEVELS, STOPPED TAKING METHIMAZOLE ALTOGETHER. I'VE BEEN IN REMISSION NOW FOR 1 YR.

Methimazole review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hyperthyroidism
Dosage & duration:   Varies 10-30 mgs taken 2-3 x per day for the period of 6 years
Other conditions:   Rapid and drastic weight loss and muscle loss and rapid heart rate.
Other drugs taken:   Calcium

Benefits:   Stabilizes my thyroid function and brings it into a "normal" range. Consequently my heart rate normalizes
Side effects:   Early in treatment Drs. would give me a specific dose to take for as long as 6 weeks. During this amount of time, on say..30-20 mgs per day, my thyroid would become so enlarged, I could barely swallow.. I now have a better handle on it.. and monitor my self with either breaking pills or smaller doses which I can control. ALSO--I now have Osteopenia.
Comments:   First need to say Drs. waned me to have thyroid ablation. I opted to "keep" my thyroid and treat with mediycation, rather than "killing it off" chemically and becoming HYPO-Thyroid and treating with a replacement "synthroid" type meds. Early in treatment Drs. would give me a certain dose to take for as much as 6 weeks-long after reaching "normal" (tsh etc..)thyroid levels, Now I monitor myself by how I feel and usually I'm not accurate, but most of the time I am. ALSO I now have Osteopenia-exercise and calcium and Vit D are all very important!

Methimazole review by 38 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Hyperthyroidism
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1 x daily ( same time ) for the period of 1 week +
Other conditions:   Panic Attacks
Other drugs taken:   Valum discontinued (Diazepam)

Benefits:   Am having very crisp vision ability, increased moments of clarity, thought seems much better, heart and leg irritation (nerves) calmed back to normal, (what I remember normal as). Still have moments where hyperthyroidism hits, but this is early in treatment, however, this drug took me from a very poor life, oversleeping, shaky, blurred vision, trembling hands, heart jumping out of chest life, and has made me feel very very normal.
Side effects:   The side effects are not seen if any because if the exist they are better than this incredible terrifying experience of hyperthyroid episodes that were haunting, and devistated my life in many areas. Am drinking fluids, one of my side effects of the hyperthyroid was not being able to eat or hold down food, but very hungry all the time. I am on liquids and increase to solids slowly now.
Comments:   I saw my primary doc, and ER doctor all to be diagnosed as panic attacks. I lived on and off of valum, and other anti depressants, and nothing would ever control, only blanket my tremors and shaky clouded mind. One ER doctor decided to run the thyroid tests that came back positive for Hyperthyroidism. I saw a specialist who then immediately put me on Methimazole 10mg, 1 time a day untile iodine test can be done. Delerious as I was over a week ago, I held couch in lost world of confusion. Tonight my ears stopped popping, ringing is gone, heart beating nice. For this night I believe that the Methimazole is starting to work. I am not tired, and feel like going outside. Unbelievable. If this is the beginning to my life back, this drug has the key to sanity for the upcoming choices for long term treatment and care I must make soon. Note: Due to contrast given in CAT Scan, I must wait 6 weeks to undergo the iodine testing. I understood that the contrast would throw off test results. I assume or am prepared for a relapse because this is a very short time into treatment, but if this is a glimps of what clarity is ahead, a wonderful drug to be treated with.