Methadone (Methadone) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Methadone reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 8 ratings/reviews, Methadone has an overall score of 8.25. The effectiveness score is 10 and the side effect score is 6.75. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Methadone review by 53 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Back pain
Dosage & duration:   50 mg daily taken everyday for the period of 7 years

Benefits:   Methadone certainly took care of the back pain I was experiencing. It was better than the other pain meds I tried (vicodin, oxycontin, percocet). The methadone doesn't make me drowsy nor does it give me "buzz".
Side effects:   The side effects is weight gain. As it was explained to me, the methadone slows down your metabolism, hence the weight gain.
Comments:   I had scoliosis and also landed on my head in a dirt bike riding accident.I had back and neck surgery. I was fused in my last three vertebrae and had a 14" rod implanted on the left side of my back and also one of the vertebrae in my neck was fused. I had physical therapy and was given methadone for the pain.

Methadone review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   addiction
Dosage & duration:   150 mg a day now on 105 mg after 7 years taken 150 mg. once a day for the period of seven years so far...

Benefits:   The benefits was getting off of drugs. I go to a methadone clinic and i PAY $13 a day and i have for the last seven years. It helped me get off of Oxycotin's, but i would NOT recommend staying on it for long.. Because methadone is more addictive than pain pills.
Side effects:   passing out; falling asleep drowsiness, weight gain when i first started i had alot of nausea, but after a few months it was better.
Comments:   When i first started going to the methadone clinic, i had to go there withdrawing. I had to take a physical and a drug test when i started. You can fail the first test, because they know you would have drugs in your system. I had to pay $154 when i first started and i pay almost $400 a month, which equals out to be $13.50 a day. I get drug tested every month and i have passed so many that i get "take homes". I only have to go there once a month now and i have to see my counslor for an hour each month and get drug tested. I get called in for random drug testing. I have to bring my bottles in so they will know that they are "straight" so they know i am not selling them. They do that to everyone. I have been there for seven years now and i am 26 years old. WHen i first started, i had to drive 1 1/2 hours a day for seven days a week for three months and then i got one take home. after three months of passing drug tests: 1 take home 6 months: 3 take homes one year: 5 take homes 1 1/2 years: a weeks worth 2 years: 2 weeks worth 2 1/2 years: a months worth.... I had to drive so much where there isn't many clinics in the states and i had to drive that far just to get to mine. I have been doing good and being strong. I just wish i would have lowered myself down after about 6 months. So now i am addicted to methadone. It is just legal and cheaper for me then pills and i know i get it everyday. I hope i helped. Thanks. :)

Methadone review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   opiate dependency
Dosage & duration:   84 mg taken daily for the period of 5 yrs
Other conditions:   PTSD

Benefits:   Achieved and maintained long term sobriety. No longer was exposed to the dangers of active asddiction. Began leading a healthy and productive lifestyle. Overall health improved. Mental health improved and stabilized.
Side effects:   While taking methadone I gained a significant amount of weight and metabolism slowed markedly. Suffered from chronic constipation wich also led to bloating and stomach discomfort.
Comments:   Daily dosage starting at 30mg and slowly increasing to maitenance dose. Attended several educational groups in addition to regular group counseling, one on one counsiling, regular U/A's and regular bloodwork along with yearly physicalls.

Methadone review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   opiate addiction
Dosage & duration:   117 mg taken once a day for the period of 4 years, and going
Other conditions:   epilepsy
Other drugs taken:   anti seizure meds

Benefits:   I no longer have to rely on drug dealers to make it through the day. I went back to school, and I feel great about myself. I've also encouraged many friends, and even other family members to give it a try!
Side effects:   Drowsy for the first year, I would fall asleep ANYWHERE!!
Comments:   I'm thankful for the methadone clinic. I receive my dose in a cherry flavored liquid form. I had to temporarily switch clinics, and at the new clinic I was given pills diluted in warm water.I noticed that the pills helped my severe knee pain incredibly, it was gone. Now I have got back into my old clinic, with the liquid cherry dose, and my knee pain has returned X 10!! I can't understand it, I'm in so much pain :( Can anyone explain this?!?!!?! I'M LOST

Methadone review by 35 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   OPIATE ADDICTION
Dosage & duration:   10MG taken daily for the period of ONE YEAR
Other conditions:   NONE
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   I had tesiticular cancer, and I became addicted to OxyContin. Try as I did, I simply could not kick the habit. Methadone really worked for me, and after a while, I tapered at a slow rate.
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   Ten Miligrams daily. Of course, at first you have to deal wiht the clinic, but take-home doses are easy to earn as long as you're doing what you're supposed to be doing.

Methadone review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   opiod addiction
Dosage & duration:   60mg/day taken daily for the period of monthly
Other conditions:   back pain

Benefits:   It worked but then I became addicted to methadone so basically it just traded one addiction for another. I don't take as many Methedone a day as I did pain pills because Methadone is long lasting so I guess it did help me.
Side effects:   At first I got painful headaches but that subsided after continued use. I do still have horrible constipation and I have sexual dsyfuntion.
Comments:   I began recieving Methadone when I was 21 years old. I started seeing a pschiatrist because I needed help for pain pill addiction. I began getting prescriptions for hydrocodone when I was 19. I have an abnormality in my lower back which causes me severe pain. I began taking more than I was supposed to for the pain and was taking anywhere from 20 to 30 pain pills a day. So I knew I needed help. That's when my doctor gave me Methadone. He gave me 60mg a day but I usually only took 40mg depending on what I needed. Over the years I have weaned myself down to 20mg a day and everyone even my doctor says to me that I should be able to come off of these pills easily but no one understands the physical and psychological symptoms I go through. It's so hard to just stop taking them when I have became so depended on them in my daily life. I have four kids and with out them I feel like a different person and it takes everything in me to get out of bed and take care of my kids. Is it in my head? I don't know but either way, in a lot of ways it helped me but in a lot of ways it ruined my life. I don't want to be addicted to a pill for the rest of my life. Now my doctor has stopped giving them to me because he feels that I can come off them easily at such a low dose but what does he know he does not understand what it feels like. I am at such a downfall in my life, I have to buy them now just to feel normal every day. I feel like if these doctors give them to me then they should help me with the withdrawals ao I can get off them. I still need help after all these yesrs. I don't have a car to drive to a methadone clinic everyday and no one to help me. So what are people like me to do?

Methadone review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Opiate Dependence
Dosage & duration:   91 mg daily last month tapering from 130 taken daily for the period of 7 years

Benefits:   I have been able to maintain sobriety and get my life back on track. Methadone has allowed me to get my "bearings" underneath me, and really focus on what is important in life once again. After about 6 months, I began working and have been promoted consistently since then. I am currently tapering and am really trying to be smart about it. While I am very eager to be off methadone, I also do not want to rush it. I feel that methadone should be one of the last options a person looks to when trying to stop opiate use because it isn't something that can be stopped whenever a person feels ready. I have found it to be quite a complex task.
Side effects:   WEIGHT GAIN, WEIGHT GAIN, WEIGHT GAIN!! I don't know if it's just because of the methadone slowing your metabolism, or if it is caused by the need to eat sweets but I have gained at least 90 lbs since starting methadone 7 years ago. It is likely a combination of both. I have also seen a sever decline with my teeth, and the only cause I can think of is methadone. I have taken such good care of my teeth, as far as self care and making sure I see the dentist every 6 months, and that still hasn't helped. Has anyone else noticed this? I have started having sever pain in my joints as well, especially my knees. I can honestly say though, that without this medication I probably wouldn't be alive to experience any of these minor side effects. Without a doubt, methadone along with the therapy I received while in the clinic and my families support has saved my life. I will take the weight gain and minor discomfort any day, at least I am here to write about it.
Comments:   I had tried many times to get sober before beginning MMT. I started methadone after 3 unsuccessful tries at in-patient and outpatient therapy. When I first began treatment, I traveled 2 hours a day to received the dosage. After about a year I was lucky enough to get in to a clinic closer to my home but by that time, I had completed all of the necessary counseling hours and had also received all clean swabs and urine tests and was given 3 day take homes. Eventually that was extended to 6 days which is the most in my state or clinic that you are allowed. It has been about 7 years now, and I am in a total good place in life and feel that it's time to start tapering. I have held the same job for almost 5 years, have a car, have my finances somewhat in order and am ready to move on to the next phase. While I have had a relatively easy time of tapering, I had to stop for a couple of weeks because I started feeling some slight stomach cramping and body aches. I made the decision to go down 2 mgs a week in hopes that such a small amount per week would allow my body to easily adjust to the change. So far so good and I am hoping that by next summer I will be completely done.

Methadone review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   drug addiction
Dosage & duration:   130 mg taken daily for the period of 7 yrs
Other conditions:   asthma, high blood pressure, diabetes
Other drugs taken:   metfromin, inhalers,

Benefits:   I was able to control my addiction and not have to depend on pills to get through the day
Side effects:   falling asleep anywhere
Comments:   i started off taking approx 130mg in about 7 yrs and have now reached 65mg in my 8th yr off taking methadone. it has helped me to be a normal person again and no spend my day trying to find the next pill.