Meridia (Sibutramine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Meridia (Sibutramine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 17 ratings/reviews, Meridia has an overall score of 8.53. The effectiveness score is 8.71 and the side effect score is 7.88. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Meridia review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   weight loss
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1/day for the period of 1 month

Benefits:   This drug initially provided a modest suppression of appetite. However, within one week my appetite was as great as ever. Given that this medication is not covered by insurance, its virtual ineffectiveness is particularly noteworthy.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   Patient is supposed to take it first thing in the morning so that its time release qualites have the longest impact. One is told that after a month or so you may need to boost your dosage to continue to experience benefits. However, for me, the benefit lasted only 1 week! Not worth it!

Meridia review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Over eating, reduce wieght gain
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once daily for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   high cholesterol, hypoglycemia
Other drugs taken:   pantoprazole

Benefits:   Decreased meal size, felt more satisfied when I ate and felt fuller quicker. Didn't get hunger urges as often and started to loose weight as decreased my calorie intake
Side effects:   Insomnia, headaches, nausea, increased heart rate
Comments:   Reductil gave me a motivational start to healthy eating and decreasing my portion sizes. Because of low sugar levels I always feel hungry and it gave me some relief as I didnt get hungry as often and when I ate, I couldnt eat as much, but I felt satisfied. I felt that the effects of the drug started to ware off after a few months but now I dont take it anymore as I have lost about 5 kilos and want to continue to lose another 5 through healthy controlled eating and exercise. I feel I can control my eating a bit better and realised that the overeating was creating the roller coaster ride, so I think the drug helped me mentally with portion control and now I tell myself as I have created the habbit with better eating habbits.

Meridia review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   weight loss
Dosage & duration:   10 mg a day taken daily for the period of 2 mos
Other conditions:   heartburn
Other drugs taken:   prilosec

Benefits:   Definitely lifted mood. Helped me feel full and able to turn down unhealthy snacks. Helped me eat reasonable portions.
Side effects:   Occasional headache. Mild occasional insomnia
Comments:   Taken once a day it acts as a mood lifter and helps you feel full with less food. It helped me take off a few pounds. However, it is only a tool and patient has to be diligent about monitoring hunger and deciding to limit portions. It's easy to "eat around" the drug and overeat. For short term weight loss or to help lose 10 -15 lbs it is great. VERY expensive...$125 for one months supply.

Meridia review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   OBESITY
Dosage & duration:   15MG taken once a day for the period of 2 MONTHS
Other conditions:   OVERWEIGHT
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   WEIGHT LOSS 2 STONE
Side effects:   IN THE BEGINNING WEEK OR SO I DID NOTICE THAT I WAS STAREING ALOT AND I DIDNT GET OVEREXCITED ABOUT ANYTHING, AND MY SLEEP PATTERNS WERE BETTER,AS I HAVE ALWAYS HAD TROUBLE SLEEPING, I WAS VERY CALM. THEN IN TO THE NEXT WEEK, EVERYTHING WAS BACK TO NORMAL AND I FELT NO SIDE EFFECTS.
Comments:   I TOOK REDUCTIL TO LOOSE WEIGH AS IT IS AN APPITITTE SUPPRESANT, I T WORKED AND I WAS VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS. IT HELPED START A HEALTHIER ME. OH YES YOU MUST REMEMBER TO DRINK PLENTY OF WATER AT LEAST 3/4 PINTS A DAY.

Meridia review by 19 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   wanted to drop about 30 lbs
Dosage & duration:   once a day (dosage frequency: once a day (morning)) for the period of i'm on my fourth week
Other conditions:   slightly overweight

Benefits:   the first week it did help supress my cravings, but my stomache felt hungry. as soon as i did eat, i would realize how hungry i really was. i lost 4 lbs in my first week. second week, no hunger pains and still no cravings. i'm on my third week and i've lost 7 lbs.
Side effects:   mild insomnia. mild headaches only occasionally. a major one for me is i get dizzy when i stand up. oh, and more sweating with physical activity.
Comments:   i take it in the morning. i COULD go about 700 calories a day with this pill but to make sure my metabolism doesn't get messed up, i try to eat about 1200. and i'm still losing weight. i would reccomend this to younger users, but over the age of 18 only.

Meridia review by 21 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Overeating, weight gain
Dosage & duration:   15mg taken once daily (best in the morning) for the period of 7 months
Other conditions:   Insomnia, dry mouth, mild headaches

Benefits:   I lost 90 pounds in 6 months. The key was drinking water all throughout the day. I ate 1 meal a day before 6pm & snacked on fruit (applesauce, fruit cups, canned fruit,etc.) all through the day (instead of fast food, icecream, chips or any other food that is unhealthy). I saw no results in the first month, but once 30 days had passed, I started to lose 1 lb. a day & sometimes 1 1'2 lb. a day. Even after getting off of Meridia, I still continued to lose weight 2 months later. Product was VERY expensive but worth it! The more weight you have to lose the more you WILL lose!
Side effects:   Insomnia sometimes. My bedtime(before Meridia) was around 10pm but once I began taking the medicine, I couldn't sleep sometimes until 12am or 1am, but even with lack of sleep, I never felt fatigued like I thought I would. Every once in a while, mild headaches & dry mouth. But nothing too major or life-threatening.
Comments:   Lost 91 lbs. in 6-7 months. Kept the weight off even to this day (4 years later) b/c the Meridia taught me the key to weight loss: Less calorie intake. And since the Meridia trained my body to get full quicker, I was able to still eat & crave less even after getting off of the medication.

Meridia review by care giver of 21 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of 4 months

Benefits:   She has taken so may pills before to lose weight but only meridia has given her a significant decrease in her weight. Her weight was 140lbs and went down to 125 in as little as 3 months.
Side effects:   N/A
Comments:   Meridia was taken once a day before meal....She lost a significant weight. She also engage herself to some exercises as part of her weight lose program

Meridia review by 32 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   over weight
Dosage & duration:   10mg initially and then 15mg taken 1 daily for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   over weight
Other drugs taken:   depakote

Benefits:   better mood, loss of appetite,weight reduction. Lost 14lbs. in 2 months.
Side effects:   I only had positive feedback.
Comments:   10 mg daily for 2 months and then 15 mg daily for 1 month. After 3 months I did not see any changes. So reap the benefits at first. If your really chnage your lifestyle as you take meridia you will have great results.

Meridia review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Weight loss
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once a day for the period of 6 weeks
Other conditions:   Diabetes, HTN
Other drugs taken:   Insulin, Ramipril

Benefits:   I have been taking meridia for the last 6 weeks and have lost 16 lbs. It has decreased my appetite and I am not thinking about food all the time. Combined with diet and exercise this has helped me out a lot.
Side effects:   The only side effects that I have experienced so far is the dry mouth and the odd time I have a mild headache but that has since passed.
Comments:   Meridia combined with diet and exercise has made loosing weight a lot easier this is the boost that I needed to change my life style.

Meridia review by 44 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1 daily for the period of 1 month
Other conditions:   Arthritis, Acid Reflux, High Cholestrol, Sleep Apnea
Other drugs taken:   Meloxicam, Esomeprazole, Ezetimibe

Benefits:   Lost 30 lbs in first month of treatment. Portion size was easy to control. If busy I sometimes forgot to eat. Mood was slightly altered for the first week - I was more patient - but this was short term. This medication has changed my relationship with food and I feel in control.
Side effects:   Felt a little spacey and calm for first few days. Sleep was disrupted for about two weeks - waking hourly. Excess energy and restlessness for the first week.
Comments:   10mg for 1st month, 15mg for next month.

Meridia review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   obesity
Dosage & duration:   10mg od taken daily at 1st then every 2nd day then 3r for the period of 6 mnths every day then 6mnths reducing

Benefits:   Initially weightloss of 4 stone and an increase in energy and confidence. After stopping the drug there was a gradual weight gain of 10lbs until weight settled and has been maintained for 3 years. Health has improved and an increase in fitness and regular exercise has been maintained.Benefits have outwayed the side effects as all other attempts over the years to lose weight had failed, and there is a family history of heart disease.
Side effects:   Side effects at the time included worsened insomnia and irregular menstruation ( already suffered from before starting drug, but worse while taking it) and mood swings. Insomnia and irregular menstruation have continued, mood swings have improved but both continued conditions may have worsened naturally anyway due to naturally occurring early peri-menopause as there is a family history of this.
Comments:   Drug dosage reccomendations were not followed, and only taken in the morning as this lessened the side effects.

Meridia review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Obesity
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1 capsule in the morning for the period of Just into my 3rd month
Other conditions:   I have no health issues.

Benefits:   Dramatic loss of weight and inches first week. Settled into Meridia's Program provided over the Internet (comes with perscription). Promised myself to follow the rules. The toughest for me, was not to weigh myself everyday. Meridia wanted me to check only once a week and I'm glad I refrained. The thrill of seeing a huge difference each week has kept my knees from complaining. The strength of Meridia has never lessened. If I forget to take it, I feel like the bottom of my floor has opened up and I am in free fall. It really is strange... When I take it with my vitamins each morning, it gives me a definite feeling of support. I am loosing 2 lbs each week along with inches. I'm doing better than what they advertise but that is probably because I have a gym in my home. I walk 70 miles/mo. and do free weights. I also love my whey protein porrage in the morning with blueberries, shake for lunch and balanced meal for dinner. I do eat snacks. A Starbucks coffee (also made at home), with 1/2 an energy bar... or, an orange. Responsible eating. I also understand the dynamics of over eating, being menopausal with depleated hormones. Meridia has been a life saver for me. Thanks to my fabulous Doctor, who is also using it.
Side effects:   In 2 mo. (3/4 of the program), 22 lbs weight loss.
Comments:   3 months, 1 capsule of 10 mg. per day. After 3 mo., back in to see my Doctor for another check-up. Continuing on Meridia for another 3 months for achievement of goal. According to my Doctor, I can use it as a maintenance. I honestly have no side effects. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Meridia review by 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   overweight
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once daily for the period of three months
Other drugs taken:   none regularly

Benefits:   Lost 15 pounds and did not feel hungry while taking the medicine. On days that I forgot to take a capsule, I did feel hungry and it was not as easy to stick to my diet.
Side effects:   There were no side effects that I could trace directly to Meridia. Mild constipation is a possible side effect, but that could also have been due to dehydration.
Comments:   I took one Meridia first thing in the morning and then stuck to a sensible diet for the day. If I took the Meridia too late in the day, it did keep me from sleeping well that night.

Meridia review by 21 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Over weight
Dosage & duration:   15 mg taken once daily for the period of one month

Benefits:   Lost over 30 pounds and still going!
Side effects:   The first week I had a very dry mouth all the time.
Comments:   So I started taking 15mg Meridia once daily and lost 20 pounds in the first month. I was so excited, I never expected this pill to work at all. But Then the following week I gained 8 pounds, so I stopped taking it. Its been 2 months now since I have taken one and I've lost an additional 19 pounds since I have stopped. I notice that I will usually gain a pound or two and the following week loose 4 or 5. Sometimes I'll have 2 weeks of no weight lose followed by a week of pretty dramatic weight lose. I would never have been able to lose the weight without using Meridia to start off. I don't know if my stomach has shrunk or if I just have a better idea of how much to eat and what to do to lose weight, regardless I'm thrilled and couldn't be happier with the results!

Meridia review by 36 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Weight loss
Dosage & duration:   15mg taken once in the morning for the period of 3 weeks so far

Benefits:   Meridia helps me stick to my diet without thinking about food all of the time. It seems that this happens in two ways; first, I do feel full most of the time, even though I feel some low blood sugar weakness that comes with weight loss. The other part is that I just don't seem to care as much about eating, feeling weak, full, ect. This is a nice mental shift which makes my weight loss plan feel like natural, like a life style change. I just don't care about food that much and am able to think about other things. Also, I have noticed that I when I am tempted to snack, I am able to see that I am usually emotionally stressed about something, so it is easier to think of another way to deal with my emotions and anxiety. It is not a miracle drug. I still have to stick to my plan and focus on meal preparation. Also, it took 1 and a half weeks to really start working in my system. It did not help my hunger the first week. Just give it some time to build up in your body!
Side effects:   At first I felt increased nervousness and anxiety. After about ten days, it lifted my mood and began to take away my appetite. Then the nervousness went away. It is harder for me to fall asleep and to sleep as deeply as before, but some of this happens when ever I loose weight.
Comments:   Take first thing in the morning with breakfast. I eat three meals with two snacks a day and drink loads of water and iced tea. You have to drink enough for this drug to work. You need WAY more water, as much as possible. then you really will feel full most of the time.

Meridia review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Obesity
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1 each morning for the period of 4 months
Other conditions:   High risk for diabetes, cholesterol; low blood pressure

Benefits:   BMI was 36 before I started Meridia. After 4 monhts, BMI is 28. Lost 43 pounds. Increased energy and confidence. Another benefit was an increase in alertness and confidence. I had low blood pressure and was quite passive before, and with the medication felt an increase in energy and heart rate. My behaviour changed - I became more assertive because I was more impatient than before.
Side effects:   Increased heart rate. After day 9 on Meridia, felt hungry when my body was hungry - constant hunger stopped.
Comments:   After day 9 on the medication, I no longer had that feeling of starving all the time. When I started Meridia, I also started the Jenny Craig program to educate myself on nutrition and get support. My knowledge of nutrition was so limited that a nutritionist would not have been able to teach me such basic principles - I needed to be taught like a child. I didn't know this at the time, but 4 monhts later, I know that was the right thing to do and why.

Meridia review by 30 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Dosage & duration:   1 caps. taken daily for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   bulimia
Other drugs taken:   only vitamins etc.

Benefits:   It really helps to stop overeating and to become thinner. Also you're not drink alcohol at all and its become your habit ) Cause M. is not compatible with drinking. You have a lot of energy, do not thinking what to eat, where to eat and etc.. No any narcotic pleasure or panic, I had no any psyho effects at all. Only sleeping less may be.
Side effects:   If you have a bottle of water, no any side effects. The main effect - you start to love yourself when you look at the mirror, cause you see results. BUT I think it's not killing appetit at all. You only have (If its possible to say so) more willing force to refuse of extra eating. But the motivation and decision are still your choice. Frankly speaking If you don't want to slim and still force yourself to eat as best habit, M. will not work. More you eat then more you want to eat. ))
Comments:   1 caps (15 or 20 mg., don't remember now) per day, at morning. No any dependance, you can take it or not. But you'll see how much more is your lack of willingness and dream to be thin without it))