Maxalt (Rizatriptan) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Maxalt (Rizatriptan) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 10 ratings/reviews, Maxalt has an overall score of 9.40. The effectiveness score is 9.60 and the side effect score is 8.20. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Maxalt review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   headaches
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken as needed for the period of 6/06 to present
Other conditions:   depression, hypothyroid, high cholesterol
Other drugs taken:   effexor, lipitor

Benefits:   reduction in severity and duration of migraines
Side effects:   drowsiness
Comments:   one pill at onset of migraine. can take every twelve hours

Maxalt review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Migraines
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken as needed for the period of Ongoing
Other drugs taken:   Birth control

Benefits:   Normally takes away a headache with an hour when absolutely nothing else will work.
Side effects:   Sometimes will give a feeling of tightness in the chest and some drowsiness. If taken too often can cause rebound headaches.
Comments:   You take one Maxalt at the onset of a migraine. It can be repeated after two hours.

Maxalt review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Migraine
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 2-6x/year for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   Decreased headache pain from 10/10 to 0/10 within a few hours. Took at least 30 minutes to feel pain start to decrease, then causes fatigue. I like the fact that it disintegrates sublingually, because vomiting is often associated with my headaches and I am never sure how much medication is retained afterward if I have taken a tablet.
Side effects:   It always puts me to sleep for an hour or two. After waking, I sometimes feel a little shakey, but the pain is gone. I wouldn't take this med if I were out of the house due to the grogginess.
Comments:   Treatment for migraine when otc's, or prescription level ibuprophen (800 mg) are not effective. Used for moderate migraine if it lasts a few days, or when pain reaches 8 to 10/10.

Maxalt review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   migraines
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken every day to every other day for the period of as long as its been avail. 8 + years?

Benefits:   Relief of migraine headache with in one hour and it stays away for 24 - 48 hours. Migraines have been part of my life since I was 19. This is the only medication that relieves my headaches so that I can function in my work and family life.
Side effects:   Funny feeling in throat for about 2 hours after I take it and also my skin is sensitive to hot water for about 12 hours after I take it.
Comments:   I have been taking Maxalt for years. I have had one sided migraines for years. They have always lasted 3 days of excrutiating pain. Maxalt has been a life saver. I take it at the onset of headache and have complete relief in one hour. Unfortunately there was a time when i was taking this daily, which was a pain regarding insurance coverage. However in the last year I have learned a couple physicial techniques to minimize the frequency of headaches, but I still take Maxalt 1-2x per week. Every time it is 100% effective.

Maxalt review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   migraine
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken prn - usually once a week for the period of 4 years - still taking
Other conditions:   depression
Other drugs taken:   wellbutrin

Benefits:   Very quick migraine relief with no nausea or drowsiness. Other medications (such as Imitrex and Relpax) had little to no effect, or took a minimum of 1 to 2 hours for relief to begin. I really like the dissolving tablet, as I can take it anytime without having to find a water fountain or other beverage. Relief is very quick, generally within 20 to 30 minutes.
Side effects:   Very mild "buzz."
Comments:   This is the first migraine medicine I've found to provide quick relief without unacceptable side effects of previous medications (nausea, severe drowsiness).

Maxalt review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Migraine
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken monthly for the period of ongoing

Benefits:   The drug melts on the tongue so there is no need for water and is great when you need to take a tablet in the car etc. It is effective as soon as the effects of a migraine appear and I would reccommend it to anyone who suffers.
Side effects:   I sometimes feel nausea (May also be due to migraine itself). I get sonstipated
Comments:   One tablet is taken whne required and a second one can be taken after two hours no more than 2 to be taken in 24 hours

Maxalt review by 45 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   5mg taken once a week for the period of very effective
Other conditions:   nothing
Other drugs taken:   Na

Benefits:   got relived from migraine , nausea, head aches Works in 30 mins It is oral tablet available in both 5mg and 10mg dosages
Side effects:   I did not have any side effects. But people taking this medication should not take few medications which will increase the side effects of Maxalt. You can find those drugs at http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/maxalt.html
Comments:   I took once a week

Maxalt review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   MIGRAINES
Dosage & duration:   10 MG taken 3-4 times per month as needed for the period of 8 YEARS
Other conditions:   MENOPAUSE
Other drugs taken:   BIOIDENTICAL HORMONES

Benefits:   After about an hour, headaches disappear. This drug works better for me than other drugs taken before the year 2000, such as Imitrex and Zomig which I took for migraines. Imitrex sped up my heart which scared me. Zomig took 2 hours to work for me. Maxalt changed my life as I finally am able to function instead of wasting a whole day in a dark room in tears from the pain of migraine. I do not miss work days anymore.
Side effects:   Dry mouth and increased appetite which is preferable to the throbbing head pain and nausea of migraine. Sometimes I feel a bit sleepy but not so much that I cannot function or drive. Maxalt is more gentle on my system than Imitrex and Zomig. On rare occasions, I have to take 2 Maxalt in a 24 hour period. I do not feel addicted in any way. I always carry Maxalt with me just in case. Works best at first sign of migraine.
Comments:   In the 70's and 80's I just had to suffer from the pain and miss work days and cry in a dark room. I would take OTC sleep aids just to escape the agony. Found a Dr who prescibed Imitrex about 1989 which helped, but then in the late 90's my new doctor who also was a migraine sufferer suggested I try Maxalt and it has been what I prefer. My headaches are fewer now, probably because of Menopause which I am now using bio-identical hormones, biest and progesterone.

Maxalt review by 41 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Migraines
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1x per migraine for the period of 1x per migraine
Other conditions:   vomiting, sweating, pain in head, trembling

Benefits:   This is the best migraine medication on the market. Imitrex no longer works for me. I cannot be without maxalt or I will be in the ER. When I took Imitrex, I would have to repeat the dosage every 8-10 hours for 3 days. But, with Maxalt, I take one dose and it lasts for the whole migraine and I never have to take another dose until the next migraine.
Side effects:   no side effects
Comments:   LOVE THIS MEDICATION Can you say LIfe SAVER?

Maxalt review by 30 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once-twice a month for the period of years
Other conditions:   arthritis, asthma, snapping hip syndrome
Other drugs taken:   methotrexate, arava, topomax, norimin, naprosyn, symbicorte

Benefits:   Maxalt relieved all the typical symptoms of a migraine within half an hour and i could keep going with my day where as before nothing would help. Topamax is my preventative but i still get the occasional that will push through and thats when i use the Maxalt, hence why only afew times a month.
Side effects:   slight fatigue and drowsiness but not enough to make me go to sleep.
Comments:   I take one 10mg wafer when i feel it coming as when it is past the point it doesnt work. Never needed to take 2